Attack

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
Yes, yes, the midfield is indeed terrible, as is the keeping and the defence isn't great either but we have huge problems upfront. We don't create enough. That's obvious to everyone. But, there's no movement. Whoever plays. I'm excluding the kids from this. The only player who actually makes decent runs is McGoldrick and he doesn't have the pace.

McBurnie - He puts himself around and likes to drop and collect the ball. The problem is that he lacks pace. When he does come deep no one in midfield runs past him. Gets his head on a few things and valuable from defensive set-pieces. Doesn't seem to be able to strike a ball cleanly.
McGoldrick - He's reached that age where his all-round game can no longer make-up for his woeful finishing. There's no point playing him because he's not going to score the vast majority of his chances. Doesn't really have the engine for midfield. Maybe to drop into the Duffy role from the bench
Brewster - He genuinely doesn't look like he knows how to play as a striker. It's baffling. Doesn't make any runs. Never in the right place. Rabbit in the headlights when through. Always seems to be on his heels.
Sharp - Look. Despite his age, if we're controlling possession and creating chances then he will score goals. Not enough to make up for what is lacking his all-round game though. Good to come off the bench when we're chasing the game but he's static. He's not making the runs down the channels he has to without marauding wingbacks. Not got the pace to get round a man or the strength to hold it up. Refs have been told to let things go so not even going to buy free-kicks anymore
Burke - The missing link. One heck of a specimen of a player but he's clearly a winger who might be able to play as a wide forward (although he wasn't able to at WBA, which makes me doubt he can). Can run around and harry. Little else.
Mousset - Guy is never going to make it as a good footballer given the fact he's lazy, overweight and never fit.
Midfield - This is a major problem for lots of reasons but when you have McBurnie or McGoldrick dropping short or going wide someone from the midfield needs to run past them. No one wants to do it. Norwood doesn't get into the box and Fleck rarely does. Berge seems more comfortable a bit wider if he's coming forward. Freeman is the only one and seems unfit and lacking form.

You could see it today. When the defence or midfield get the ball deep there's simply no one to pass to. If a striker does make a run deep or to the wing, his partner seems to not know where to go and no one is bursting through to make use of that gap. We have MAJOR issues.

Simply put, if you can't score you're going down.

Our defence is not great but solid enough normally.

When the pitches start cutting up and when the weather gets worse we're going to struggle with the high ball and not keep clean sheets. If we can't score, these draws will become loses.

Presenting the options as the OP has means that I would be looking at three of the above as not serious contenders. That narrows it down to four, and yes, I am including Jebbison. Therein, I think lies a tiny, tiny bit of the problem. Choose two strikers to start and stick with them for a few matches Instead of this ridiculous chopping, changing and trying to stick square pegs in round holes.

In our current predicament, my two would be McBurnie and Sharp. Billy might not last 90 minutes, but the last season showed the importance of scoring first in a match.

Back
Top Bottom