Match Thread Aston Villa v. Sheffield United - 17th June 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oh don’t worry. Hawkeye have apologised. WTF. Good job McSue isn’t chair anymore.

Either Oliver or Stockley should have stopped the game and reviewed.

Dean Smith should have been told at half time, and it should be made public that he was aware of the error.

First goal given when a linesman flags, and now first goal disallowed when video evidence shows it is a goal.

Sheffield United always first.

For those slagging Berge off - his defence at corners was why we weren’t behind.

McBurnie hardly won a header and Norwood was very poor - apart from the goal!

Mousse was asleep when he came on.

Robinson was solid - probably safer than Eggs.

Overall, we were robbed, but Deano made a lot of decent saves and we didn’t have a single decent shot.

Look on the bright side - that disallowed goal could end up relegating Wet Sham!

Our midfield was wishy washy as anything until he went off and Lunny went back on the right. He still can't do our throw in routine either.

Shocking maybe was a bit strong, but he was a long way from good, then again, so were many others. He just seemed particularly lost.

I stand to be corrected but I wouldn't be surprised if his pass completion was superior to the rest of our midfield. Not the only measure, but for a player of his type, a key one.

I am already concerned that he is earmarked as a scapegoat purely based on the chasm between an unrealistic expectation of him and what he actually does, versus what would be a more realistic expectation of him. In simple terms; we aren't used to spending 20 million plus therefore we're all waiting for Zidane, meanwhile, modern day Zidanes cost 5 times that figure.

I know I'm a lone voice, I was after the Reading game, but it is my opinion that United fans have got carried away with his reputation and price tag and have already decided whether he is any good or not. It's like Paul Coutts all over again just without the cost - clearly a good footballer to anyone who has eyes but needs some patience. Let's give him that at a time when in our clubs history we can actually afford it.

Easy solution.
Give United the ball at the kick off.
Let Norwood walk it in.
Goal.
Then resume.
0-1.
That would be the honourable thing to do but no chance. All this crap about role models is bullshit. If they had done that, what a powerful message that would have sent out to kids. Instead, professional football is, again showing that doing the right thing isn’t on their agenda, in the game or in how to live your life. I wonder if any of the tv interviewers will have the guts to ask the question- I very much doubt it

I stand to be corrected but I wouldn't be surprised if his pass completion was superior to the rest of our midfield. Not the only measure, but for a player of his type, a key one.

I am already concerned that he is earmarked as a scapegoat purely based on the chasm between an unrealistic expectation of him and what he actually does, versus what would be a more realistic expectation of him. In simple terms; we aren't used to spending 20 million plus therefore we're all waiting for Zidane, meanwhile, modern day Zidanes cost 5 times that figure.

I know I'm a lone voice, I was after the Reading game, but it is my opinion that United fans have got carried away with his reputation and price tag and have already decided whether he is any good or not. It's like Paul Coutts all over again just without the cost - clearly a good footballer to anyone who has eyes but needs some patience. Let's give him that at a time when in our clubs history we can actually afford it.

I'm not scapegoating him, I think he's been very good for us in terms of not being able to be knocked off the ball, and he's got some great passes in his locker. I just think he had a bad game.

I'm not scapegoating him, I think he's been very good for us in terms of not being able to be knocked off the ball, and he's got some great passes in his locker. I just think he had a bad game.

Fair enough, I disagree (such is life, it's acceptable!). He'd have been mid way down my list of 'bad games'. John Egan, for example, was poor and both of our usually excellent wing backs were ineffective. Norwood sloppy, front two ineffective....that's before I even think of Sander.

Agreed he put in a shift as did most of the team. Berge looked solid. The pitch looked wet and our first touch was not there.

As for Mousset and Didsy, both showed snippets.

The main point is that we kept a clean sheet and will hopefully see more creativeness when Fleck returns.

As Redknapp said - we looked the better team. Villa huffed and puffed and never really looked like scoring. We did score

Both teams very rusty and not up to match speed nor fitness but I wonder whether when we play Newcastle on Sunday playing today might give us the edge with out fitness etc and match speed being up a notch.

Worst performance of the season and lucky to get a draw ultimately. That said, we were fucking robbed blind.

I don’t blame the ref, but those in Stockley Park. All they had to do was say “come have a quick look at this, GLT isn’t working and we need you to make a decision”
How were we lucky?
I’m of the opinion that Villa are shit.

4912CB49-A419-465A-AE86-78B6F748CC29.jpeg

Ok cheers, nice one.

Also, not the right time - but I do like the use of the word ‘occlusion’ in the response!

How were we lucky?
I’m of the opinion that Villa are shit.
They had two really good chances, one the header at the back post and the second which forced a great near post save from Henderson. Villa are shit, but we weren’t at it tonight, and I think they’ll be disappointed not to have won (if it wasn’t for the ‘goal’ that wasn’t!)

They had two really good chances, one the header at the back post and the second which forced a great near post save from Henderson. Villa are shit, but we weren’t at it tonight, and I think they’ll be disappointed not to have won (if it wasn’t for the ‘goal’ that wasn’t!)
So how were we lucky? We contained a desperate Villa.

Can you imagine if fans had been at this game! No seats left in the away end!

I am already concerned that he is earmarked as a scapegoat purely based on the chasm between an unrealistic expectation of him and what he actually does,

He may well be a better player than he's so far shown, but I base my opinions on what he's actually done. He has been cumbersome and pedestrian and it doesn't matter to me what his fee was (it was small change by most PL standards), his inclusion in the side turns us into a more cautious, risk-averse one.

If that changes in the future, terrific I'll be thrilled to bits, but at the moment he lumbers around rather than cruises and is not looking like someone you'd build your team around

He may well be a better player than he's so far shown, but I base my opinions on what he's actually done. He has been cumbersome and pedestrian and it doesn't matter to me what his fee was (it was small change by most PL standards), his inclusion in the side turns us into a more cautious, risk-averse one.

If that changes in the future, terrific I'll be thrilled to bits, but at the moment he lumbers around rather than cruises and is not looking like someone you'd build your team around

Fine, but I'd argue your response actually goes some way to proving what I'm saying.

You're talking in terms of 'building a side around' him. Where does that come from? I think it comes from his fee and our clubs history - i.e. we haven't typically spent money like that and hence now we have, it MUST be the case that we've purchased some other-worldly talent and we'll build our team around him.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been blown away but I stand by my main point that there are people on this forum judging him by far harsher standards than they do others in our team and squad.

I will also put my neck on the line and reference Paul Coutts again - there will be some similar climb downs in the fullness of time.

Last edited:
In a game with goal line technology and VAR there is absolutely zero acceptable explanation for that.

Not only clearly over the line from a technology point of view but science tells you that to end up in the side netting the other side of the post means it had to have crossed the line.

I've seen worse decisions without technology but with it that's as bad as it gets.

How must the teams near the bottom feel at this moment let alone us.
Some dozy cunt failing to do his job.
Why didn't the ref check it was working pre match??

Sander Berge looks so off the pace still. Worryingly unfit, but at times doesn't seem to be putting it in either. Baldock was moaning about his lack of movement a minute ago, he's struggling to get in behind because Berge is so stationary.

At 6'4 he's losing an awful lot in the air too.
What did McBurnie win tonight?
Absolutely nothing.

It was a goal from nothing though. We’ve not (officially) registered a shot on target
It was a cross which ended up touching the inside of the side netting due to the blundering defender colliding with the keeper.
Goal nonetheless.

Fine, but I'd argue your response actually goes some way to proving what I'm saying.

You're talking in terms of 'building a side around' him. Where does that come from? I think it comes from his fee and our clubs history - i.e. we haven't typically spent money like that and hence now we have, it MUST be the case that we've purchased some other-worldly talent and we'll build our team around him.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been blown away but I stand by my main point that there are people on this forum judging him by far harsher standards than they do others in our team and squad.

I will also put my neck in the line and reference Paul Coutts again - there will be some similar climb downs in the fullness of time.

I think people are just saying what they see. We all want him to do well, but he's just not impacting the game and he doesn't play with the same energy and physicality the other players do.

Most people are aware that pretty much all our signings of the last 4 years didn't make an instant impact, but people also want to see us win matches.

I think people are just saying what they see. We all want him to do well, but he's just not impacting the game and he doesn't play with the same energy and physicality the other players do.

Most people are aware that pretty much all our signings of the last 4 years didn't make an instant impact, but people also want to see us win matches.

My original response was to someone who said he was 'shocking'. I think that is significantly wide of the mark.

As regards the rest of what you say, I think it's fair. He's not yet really impacted the game in any obvious or meaningful way.

You also talk about energy and physicality which again may be fair but is that the yardstick for him? Does he need to run more than Lundstram in order to be considered as a good player? Not for me.

You then say we know that plenty of our players haven't made an immediate impact and we know this - well, yep, that's my point. My whole point is that. My argument is that we aren't showing any patience because of his price tag. The extension to that argument is that it is stupid. That's all.

in hindsight type of game to be expected. the atmosphere does make a big impact on a games tempo. i still believe it was main reason why we beat brentford in aug 2017 & palace in aug 2019. but on performance i didnt feel anyone had a bad game. surprised that jags wasnt used but Robinson looked great on 1st impressions another great signing. egan like he'd never been away. mcgoldrick improved us when he came on. on the whole some good performance but obvious room for improvement. point was probally rught both teams as good as each other no keeper was severely tested

but yet again, same old same old what is it with us & technology. robbed by yet again. where on earth was Goal Line Tech & where was VAR. as usual VAR quick to meddle when nobody asked when someone armpit was offside. but nowhere to be found when it actually needed & incident it was brought in for. fuming. so on to Newcastle which should be fine as its not like that ever been controversial

There’s no excuses. I wouldn’t be accepting any apology from Michael Oliver. Fuck him. He’s in charge. Surely he can see that something isn’t right. Why isn’t he communicating with VAR.

The whole concept of VAR wants binning out of the Premier Legaue until the incompetent twats at the FA learn how to use it. Fuck right off.
Oliver was in charge.
Couldn't be bothered checking with VAR..which makes him a useless incompetent cunt in my book.

We did. Thanks to Villa's player pushing his own keeper into the net. We had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Summed up the whole performance. If this sterile shitefest is the future I'll be sticking to Netflix in the evenings
To be fair we'd been shit for weeks before lockdown.
Sharp as only hope of a goal in March.

My original response was to someone who said he was 'shocking'. I think that is significantly wide of the mark.

As regards the rest of what you say, I think it's fair. He's not yet really impacted the game in any obvious or meaningful way.

You also talk about energy and physicality which again may be fair but is that the yardstick for him? Does he need to run more than Lundstram in order to be considered as a good player? Not for me.

You then say we know that plenty of our players haven't made an immediate impact and we know this - well, yep, that's my point. My whole point is that. My argument is that we aren't showing any patience because of his price tag. The extension to that argument is that it is stupid. That's all.

I didn't see the original post saying he was shocking. Although there was never a moment where I thought "Berge is doing well".

If he's going to put his stamp on games in the Prem then yes I think he does need to up his energy and physicality. He needs to play with an edge. Lundstram is a great example of a player who has transformed himself by doing so

Back
Top Bottom