As Long As We Don't Get Relegated?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

Another way would be to recognise before it's too late that Weir has the team playing the most negative, pedestrian, aimless, boring football ever witnessed at Bramall Lane (or certainly since I started going in te late 7os). If Weir needs time to learn his trade - or to experiment in the hope he eventually gets it right - let him do that with a team in the Conference - not with Sheffield United. He needs to totally change his philosophy and approach NOW...or go.

Thats what he will be doing if he sees out his contract

he lost his main man 1 game into the season and we haven't had the rub of the green in certain games (some of these are self inflicted). .

His main man was present but barely contributed to last season's no show (rapidly turning into a dream now, I know). He was also present and back to last seasons standards in the team that couldn't be arsed to turn up in the JPT, at home to 4th division Burton.

It's convenient, but very probably a myth, that McDonald was going to be instrumental in this season's fortunes.

UTB

His main man was present but barely contributed to last season's no show (rapidly turning into a dream now, I know). He was also present and back to last seasons standards in the team that couldn't be arsed to turn up in the JPT, at home to 4th division Burton.

It's convenient, but very probably a myth, that McDonald was going to be instrumental in this season's fortunes.

UTB

Maybe, guess we'll never know but the fact of the matter is, he was key to Weir's formation/tactics.

I notice he was Wolves MoM at the weekend.

UTB

Of the squad that got to the play offs last season we have lost:

Jean-Francois
Higginbotham
MacDonald
Kitson
Forte
Cresswell
Harriott
Robson
Tonne
Chappell
Coyne

And have gained:

Hall
Taylor
Baxter
McGinn
Cuvelier
Coady
King
Brandy
McGinty
Bunn
Johns

So we have (neatly) lost 11 and gained 11. I suggest that, on paper the 11 gained are better than the 11 lost. So how on earth have we gone from promotions candidates to relegation candidates?

Maybe, guess we'll never know but the fact of the matter is, he was key to Weir's formation/tactics.

I notice he was Wolves MoM at the weekend.

He had a £250K get out clause, known to everyone at the club. Jacket had tried to sign him at Milwall, but couldn't agree terms. He knew of the getout clause though. There was even talk of McDonalds saying he wouldn't be here, some of which I'd picked up myself from a semi reliable source.

Knowing what was known, if we'd based our season around McDonald being with us, someone should be up for the sack.

As for him being MOTM at the weeekned - no suprise there. I've little doubt McDonald will be a top player in a team that's doing well. And the absolute reverse of that statement is true.

UTB

He had a £250K get out clause, known to everyone at the club. Jacket had tried to sign him at Milwall, but couldn't agree terms. He knew of the getout clause though. There was even talk of McDonalds saying he wouldn't be here, some of which I'd picked up myself from a semi reliable source.

Knowing what was known, if we'd based our season around McDonald being with us, someone should be up for the sack.

As for him being MOTM at the weeekned - no suprise there. I've little doubt McDonald will be a top player in a team that's doing well. And the absolute reverse of that statement is true.

UTB

Can't argue with that. Given that the club knew about The Prince, makes you wonder why they couldn't a) sort out a better contract for him or b) line up a suitable replacement.

The young apprentice Moyes didn't get Preston promoted when he took over Preston in his first half-season, he didn't get them promoted in his first full season, the season afterwards. He got them promoted the season after that; 2 and half years in charge. He started life at a lowly PNE, now he's manager of the top club in the land.

He wasn't born a good manager, he didn't do it overnight, and he didn't do it in one step. We are a L1 club, it's where many managers start their trade and learn. DW2 will be going through a whole load of experiences right now, most are negative I'd imagine, but they form part of the nature and job of being a manager.

People want change, but don't want to give time to change. People want youth, but don't want to let them develop. People want experienced managers, but don't want baggage. People want fresh and hungry players and coaches, but don't want inexperienced.

Give him time, he may be the next Moyes. Patience!

Ah right. Moyes took over on Jan 12 1998 when the club were 17th in the league. He then lost 3 0f his first 8 games, only winning the eighth and had by the eighth game achieved 7 pts (W1 D4 L3), that's 75% better than Weir has achieved. In his first half season in charge he achieved a pts/game ratio of 1.35. If Weir now achieved that that would give us 51pts (probably just avoiding relegation). He'd better get his skates on then. Equally if Weir's proportional record to Moyes was replicated then its hello League 2.

I think if you are going to run the Bank of England you should have a degree in Economics not Mathematics.

Back
Top Bottom