As Long As We Don't Get Relegated?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

gicslater

Reaction score
Ive started to have a change of heart about Wier.I think we should give the man a full season and if we dont get relegated,i would take it at this moment.

The reason for my thinking is that with his appointment,the whole idea was he was as explained by the board to change the whole ethos of the club,the main thing being the 1st team i am only 29 years of age and followed UNITED ever since i can remember and i cannot ever really remember a team that weve had that has played football in the correct way,in which i believe Wier is attempting to do.As we all know things are not going well,but all im concerned is the team developing, and if that means having a bad season fair be.

I believe the proof of Wier appointment will be next year.There would be no excuses,his team having had plenty of time to develop and his ideas taken on board and hopefully a attractive team that scores goals and will enable us to prosper rather that a quick sacking of Wier,new replacement and short term visions of our board and our fans. Also with the backing of our Prince,maybe in Jan and the next transfer window,then we can all judge our man in charge.

Ive started to have a change of heart about Wier.I think we should give the man a full season and if we dont get relegated,i would take it at this moment.

The reason for my thinking is that with his appointment,the whole idea was he was as explained by the board to change the whole ethos of the club,the main thing being the 1st team i am only 29 years of age and followed UNITED ever since i can remember and i cannot ever really remember a team that weve had that has played football in the correct way,in which i believe Wier is attempting to do.As we all know things are not going well,but all im concerned is the team developing, and if that means having a bad season fair be.

I believe the proof of Wier appointment will be next year.There would be no excuses,his team having had plenty of time to develop and his ideas taken on board and hopefully a attractive team that scores goals and will enable us to prosper rather that a quick sacking of Wier,new replacement and short term visions of our board and our fans. Also with the backing of our Prince,maybe in Jan and the next transfer window,then we can all judge our man in charge.

You must be the first who thought 'I'd get rid' who has changed his mind to 'stick with it'. Only two more games to go to hit the record books (7 consequetive league games).:)

I'm Disappointed !!!

Are you on drugs ?

You must be the first who thought 'I'd get rid' who has changed his mind to 'stick with it'. Only two more games to go to hit the record books (7 consequetive league games).:)

Rule 1 When in deep hole. Stop digging.

Rule 2 You cannot polish a turd

Rule 3 Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind

Rule 4 Weir out and close the door behind you.

Thats fine. However we need to see some kind of development on the field of play.
That doesnt seem to be happening atm.

I don't think the board will accept that. The prince wants the premiership in 5 years. With how difficult the championship is these days, getting our of league one this season should be a priority.

We now have staying up as our ambition?

He came with glowing references , good backing and all the right badges , but , and its a big but , abolutely no experience , and more worryingly it seems no nous on how to change things within a game.
The analogy is putting a lad with a newly aquired maths degree the Govenor of the Bank of England job , OK at first , would run itself for a bit , but choices made could be catostrophic

He came with glowing references , good backing and all the right badges , but , and its a big but , abolutely no experience , and more worryingly it seems no nous on how to change things within a game.
The analogy is putting a lad with a newly aquired maths degree the Govenor of the Bank of England job , OK at first , would run itself for a bit , but choices made could be catostrophic

Bank of England, nah Northern Rock perhaps? Oh hang on a minute...

I think Bank of England puts us too high up the chain but I understand your point.

Perhaps branch manager at a little Northern Rock outpost would have been more appropriate?

The young apprentice Moyes didn't get Preston promoted when he took over Preston in his first half-season, he didn't get them promoted in his first full season, the season afterwards. He got them promoted the season after that; 2 and half years in charge. He started life at a lowly PNE, now he's manager of the top club in the land.

He wasn't born a good manager, he didn't do it overnight, and he didn't do it in one step. We are a L1 club, it's where many managers start their trade and learn. DW2 will be going through a whole load of experiences right now, most are negative I'd imagine, but they form part of the nature and job of being a manager.

People want change, but don't want to give time to change. People want youth, but don't want to let them develop. People want experienced managers, but don't want baggage. People want fresh and hungry players and coaches, but don't want inexperienced.

Give him time, he may be the next Moyes. Patience!

The suffering started when Evans went down and it's been agony ever since we've got to get rid sooner than later and get somebody in to stop the bleeding.
The gates will soon go down to 10/12k and it guts me when we are lagging behind Leyton fucking Orient.

"Change of ethos"........ ?

The myth put forward to paper over the reality that a play-off bound team is now a relegation bound side. We've tried to pass the ball for 2 seasons. The only thing that's changed is that we're now even shitter.

Anyone who wants to allow the club to hide behind the "change of ethos" excuse should explain what that means, in tangible terms.

UTB

People want change, but don't want to give time to change. People want youth, but don't want to let them develop. People want experienced managers, but don't want baggage. People want fresh and hungry players and coaches, but don't want inexperienced.

It's really not that complicated. People want to win football matches (80%), preferably with some style (20%). The rest is guff.

Sheffield United should be doing that in England's 3rd division. There is no excuse for the rubbish being served up at this time.

UTB

There is no 'correct way' to play football really though,there is no point in stringing 30 passes together if there is no end product!
Sometimes a long ball is needed,sometimes battling,and i personally would not really mind the style of play if it was exciting,attacking and we were scoring lots of goals every week and winning games!

It's really not that complicated. People want to win football matches (80%), preferably with some style (20%). The rest is guff.

Sheffield United should be doing that in England's 3rd division. There is no excuse for the rubbish being served up at this time.

UTB

Indeed. If we went up by winning 25 games 1-0 in performances of mind numbing tedium and our team consisted of journeymen with an average age of 32 managed by Gary Megson, I would be ecstatic.

There is no 'correct way' to play football really though,there is no point in stringing 30 passes together if there is no end product!
Sometimes a long ball is needed,sometimes battling,and i personally would not really mind the style of play if it was exciting,attacking and we were scoring lots of goals every week and winning games!

Scoring goals and winning matches? But what if "the ethos" hadn't changed?

UTB

That bloke at Orient seemed to know what he was doing last night, attacking with pace and two up front and it won them their 8th game on the bounce
I don't think Wier will have watched though as scoring goals and attacking with pace is a bit too vulgar for him

The issues are, have things really changed (or improved) from Notts County to Preston, or is the 'style' of football we're trying to play the way forward ?

In his defence, there is still a revolving door for the 1st XI, he lost his main man 1 game into the season and we haven't had the rub of the green in certain games (some of these are self inflicted). If he was the right man for the job before the season then there really is no point in sacking him now (unless, as I've said elsewhere, he is struggling behind the scenes) and we might see this team in a different light with a couple of wins behind them and a bit of confidence (easier said than done I appreciate).

At the start of the season, there were quite a few who were prepared for not going up if the whole ethos changed and even given the bad start, it's too early to have a change of heart from that view point. Whilst McCabe has been in manager panic mode in recent times and it remains to be seen about the patience of The Prince, I would hope there are still a few more games before they'll consider a change.

The issues are, have things really changed (or improved) from Notts County to Preston, or is the 'style' of football we're trying to play the way forward ?

In his defence, there is still a revolving door for the 1st XI, he lost his main man 1 game into the season and we haven't had the rub of the green in certain games (some of these are self inflicted). If he was the right man for the job before the season then there really is no point in sacking him now (unless, as I've said elsewhere, he is struggling behind the scenes) and we might see this team in a different light with a couple of wins behind them and a bit of confidence (easier said than done I appreciate).

At the start of the season, there were quite a few who were prepared for not going up if the whole ethos changed and even given the bad start, it's too early to have a change of heart from that view point. Whilst McCabe has been in manager panic mode in recent times and it remains to be seen about the patience of The Prince, I would hope there are still a few more games before they'll consider a change.

One of the main problems Jim is that the team is not fit. We generally play ok up to 60 minutes then fall apart. I could argue this has been for the last 5 games. It's the basic things Weir is not getting right that is costing us.

In his defence I know Moyes teams always start off slowing and finish strong because of the preseason they put in.

It is of my personal opinion that fitness and our lack of pushing up 10 yards and the lack of pressure we put on teams is the reason we are where we are and not the actual fundamentals of formations.

and to add, when you're not fit you make mistakes. We are losing games through mistakes.

Harry and Hill to name 2

Indeed. If we went up by winning 25 games 1-0 in performances of mind numbing tedium and our team consisted of journeymen with an average age of 32 managed by Gary Megson, I would be ecstatic.
As long as they sacked the piggy #### while we were doing the open top bus through town that would do for me.

and to add, when you're not fit you make mistakes. We are losing games through mistakes.

Harry and Hill to name 2

Not forgetting the team is changing rapidly and I think the absence of certain players tells us a lot at the moment as to whether Weir sees them fitting in or not. As people have said, this 'system' relies a lot on full backs bombing up and down and fitness is a massive part of that.

It's easy to pick up on every detail when you're on a losing run, even more so when one individual mistake is costing us. At the moment, I think we're trying too hard to see what's going wrong. Most of our games this season could have gone either way, even considering the way we're finding our feet but had Brandy put away that open goal for example, we'd probably have got a hard earned win against MK and kicked on. Much can be decided by one incident.

I don't think the board will accept that. The prince wants the premiership in 5 years. With how difficult the championship is these days, getting our of league one this season should be a priority.

Well we're well on course to do that.

Well, at the moment we're "correct footballing" our way to the fourth division.

Seriously, can someone tell me exactly what is the 'correct' way to play football, and just who decided that particular way was 'correct'?

I thought the aim of the game was to get that spherical thing over a line, but between two posts and below a bar fixed to the top of them more often than the opposing side. If your side manages to do this within the rules and more times than the opposition on a regular basis, I think you are probably about as correct as you can be, whichever way you play.

That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

Another way would be to recognise before it's too late that Weir has the team playing the most negative, pedestrian, aimless, boring football ever witnessed at Bramall Lane (or certainly since I started going in te late 7os). If Weir needs time to learn his trade - or to experiment in the hope he eventually gets it right - let him do that with a team in the Conference - not with Sheffield United. He needs to totally change his philosophy and approach NOW...or go.

Back
Top Bottom