Arrogant L**ds!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s a really strange comment to make, even if it ends up being true.

From a player’s point of view, why would you sign for a Championship club with potential, over a club that is already in the Premier League?

If they go to the Championship and get promoted, their career hasn’t progressed any further because they’re still only proven quality at Championship level. Whereas now they have the chance to become proven Premier League players. Even if we’re relegated, they could end up getting a move to a mid table team or a team challenging for Europe.

Yorkshire has generally always been rubbish at football comparatively speaking. By comparison Lancs has over 130 trophies with Man Utd and Liverpool both having more than of Yorkshire put together.
imagine witnessing Lancashire XI vs Yorkshire XI …

Liv/ManU/ManC XI combined would be a scary prospect… pitted against Norwood/Bamford/Wes

The best team in the world vs The best team in the Championship?

Is that statement arrogant from Leeds? Yes. Are they a bigger club? Yes. Does that bother me, no. In fairness to Leeds, are they any different to any other club of a similar size? I don't think for one minute Leeds fans are more arrogant than Villa fans, Forest fans and we all know what our nearest neighbours are like on this score but they've been that crap for so long that they are no longer as arrogant as they were; they're still deluded and arrogant, but not as much as before.

Granted, it's someone from Leeds who has come out and made this statement as opposed to another team, I think he could have phrased it much better and said the same sentiment. As I say, we know Leeds are bigger but as proved by the last twenty years, having a big fan base does not guarantee a place in the PL, let alone success in the PL. Clubs like Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford and Stoke have proved that you can stay there for long periods and have more sustained periods in the top flight than the likes of Leeds who have only spent 3 seasons in the top flight since 2001. I think what their chap fails to acknowledge is that Leeds MIGHT be in the PL next season. He talks about it as if it's guaranteed they'll be back there and it's guaranteed we'll be back in the Championship. Well I'm certainly not so sure of Leeds coming back and they're by no means in a position to be arrogant over clubs like ours. However, does it bother me? Genuinely it doesn't because as I say, I expect this sort of mantra from Leeds, Forest and Wednesday fans.

Is that statement arrogant from Leeds? Yes. Are they a bigger club? Yes. Does that bother me, no. In fairness to Leeds, are they any different to any other club of a similar size? I don't think for one minute Leeds fans are more arrogant than Villa fans, Forest fans and we all know what our nearest neighbours are like on this score but they've been that crap for so long that they are no longer as arrogant as they were; they're still deluded and arrogant, but not as much as before.

Granted, it's someone from Leeds who has come out and made this statement as opposed to another team, I think he could have phrased it much better and said the same sentiment. As I say, we know Leeds are bigger but as proved by the last twenty years, having a big fan base does not guarantee a place in the PL, let alone success in the PL. Clubs like Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford and Stoke have proved that you can stay there for long periods and have more sustained periods in the top flight than the likes of Leeds who have only spent 3 seasons in the top flight since 2001. I think what their chap fails to acknowledge is that Leeds MIGHT be in the PL next season. He talks about it as if it's guaranteed they'll be back there and it's guaranteed we'll be back in the Championship. Well I'm certainly not so sure of Leeds coming back and they're by no means in a position to be arrogant over clubs like ours. However, does it bother me? Genuinely it doesn't because as I say, I expect this sort of mantra from Leeds, Forest and Wednesday fans.
The arrogance of football fans is widely accepted. But the arrogance of a club chief administrator towards another club is just crass. But presume he’s just playing the big bombastic Leedsy fan, tossing a bit of red meat to his new fan base to curry favour…Before it all goes tits up of course.

Leeds are the last Yorkshire club to win the top division under Howard Wilkinson, they then played in the champions league a few years later, it's without doubt that they are clearly the most successful Yorkshire club, especially in recent years..

If you don't follow NFL the 9ers are always in the hunt, always knocking about around the playoffs and have been to the superbowl and beaten in the last few years by those shit bag Chiefs..

So I'd say yes to this statement, our owner is a 49ers fan, for a little perspective, he's a fan of the team these guys own.

I doubt Leeds will go up this season based on what I’ve seen so far. He obviously thinks they will, or at the very least go up next season and stay there. He also assumes we will come back down which adds to the arrogance.

I watched the whole interview on square ball yesterday and I thought his problem is he underestimates other teams potential and attractiveness to players, whether that be Leicester, Southampton or United.

His thought process seems to be that any player will choose Leeds because it’s Leeds, ignoring the history or potential of rivals and clubs above them in the pyramid.

He clearly lacks respect for Sheffield United amongst many others despite United and other clubs out performing them regularly over the last 20 odd years.

In a way we shouldn’t be bothered about it. It’s the same sort of blinkered attitude that has resulted in our neighbours across the city stagnating for so many years. The attitude of those at the top (“if you think Sheffield United have a better team than us you know nothing about football”) to the fans who overestimate how good their team is and can’t imagine other clubs having a structure and plan, not to mention the the players to more than match them.

We’ll see where we both are in the next 5 years, my money’s on Sheffield United to have had more seasons in the PL than Leeds when they’re up.

Relative league positions wise we’ve been roughly on par for the last 20 years. I wonder why he thinks somebody like Cameron Archer is going to care about Leeds whose last real success was about a decade was before he was born and forgo guaranteed Premiership football for that.

I remember about 10 years ago we couldn’t compete with Crawley Town on wages and lost Billy Clarke to them which was frustrating. Likewise a lot of top European teams will bemoan losing talent to the Saudi league, but to complain about a player turning you down to play at higher level is mental.

Relative league positions wise we’ve been roughly on par for the last 20 years. I wonder why he thinks somebody like Cameron Archer is going to care about Leeds whose last real success was about a decade was before he was born and forgo guaranteed Premiership football for that.

I remember about 10 years ago we couldn’t compete with Crawley Town on wages and lost Billy Clarke to them which was frustrating. Likewise a lot of top European teams will bemoan losing talent to the Saudi league, but to complain about a player turning you down to play at higher level is mental.

“I remember about 10 years ago we couldn’t compete with Crawley Town on wages and lost Billy Clarke to them which was frustrating”

I can’t remember this but please tell me that’s not the reason he didn’t come to us.

“I remember about 10 years ago we couldn’t compete with Crawley Town on wages and lost Billy Clarke to them which was frustrating”

I can’t remember this but please tell me that’s not the reason he didn’t come to us.
They had a wealthy backer at the time if memory serves and had a half decent team.

We had Kevin “ow much?” McCabe.

Back
Top Bottom