Are we really that skint?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Which begs the question, how do we not have more to show for it? The training ground seems to have had a lick of paint and a new pitch, but otherwise is a dated mess that's barely championship standard. If we have invested in recruitment, it's difficult to say, due to the distinct lack of signings.

We borrowed £30m of that fifty. Look at the wages and the cost of running the set up and it’s fairly easy to see where the income went in the PL years, more so in the following season.

Of course on here the total income is overstated. We’ve never had £150m in one season )£143m for 13 months) and a total of £500m bandied about by the more crazed PA haters.

But, but, you can have a world class team with millions of fans world wide while playing in the lower leagues, look at Sheff wendy ..........:rolleyes:

Which begs the question, how do we not have more to show for it? The training ground seems to have had a lick of paint and a new pitch, but otherwise is a dated mess that's barely championship standard. If we have invested in recruitment, it's difficult to say, due to the distinct lack of signings.
We do have something to show for it. The stadium and training ground are owned by the club again.

We do have something to show for it. The stadium and training ground are owned by the club again.
Smoke & mirrors

McCabe owned the football club
McCabe owned the football ground
McCabe owned the football club & football ground

The football club own the football ground
The Prince owns the football club
The Prince owns the football club & football ground

Same innit? The whole shooting match is owned by somebody.

Smoke & mirrors

McCabe owned the football club
McCabe owned the football ground
McCabe owned the football club & football ground

The football club own the football ground
The Prince owns the football club & football ground

Same innit? The whole shooting match is owned by somebody.
Nope.

A long time ago, the Club owned the training ground and stadium. McCabe moved that to a Scarborough subsidiary (Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd) so the Prince only got the Football Club when he won the court case and handed over his £5m. This means there's a middle section to your view:

McCabe owned the football club (SUFC Ltd)
McCabe owned the football ground (Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd)
McCabe owned the football club and football ground but in different companies

The Prince (through Blades Leisure Ltd) bought the Football Club (SUFC Ltd)
The Prince now owns the football club
McCabe still owns the football ground (still in Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd)
The football club does not own the football ground

The football club bought the football ground (and training ground) from Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd (McCabe) and paid using a £30m mortgage

The football club now owns the football ground
The Prince owns the football club and football ground but ultimately owes Emirates bank £30m+

Nope.

A long time ago, the Club owned the training ground and stadium. McCabe moved that to a Scarborough subsidiary so the Prince only got the Football Club when he won the court case and handed over his £5m. This means there's a middle section to your view:

McCabe owned the football ground (Scarborough entity)

McCabe still owns the football ground (in a Scarborough entity)
The football club did not own the football ground

The football club bought the football ground (and training ground) from McCabe and paid using a £30m mortgage

The Prince owns the football club and football ground but ultimately owes Emirates bank £30m+
McCabe owned the kit & caboodle
The Prince owns the kit & caboodle
as you explain...
Which drawer they keep the paperwork in is of little interest.

McCabe owned the kit & caboodle
The Prince owns the kit & caboodle
as you explain...
Which drawer they keep the paperwork in is of little interest.
It's of paramount interest when the two are under separate ownership (separate drawers in separate offices in separate buildings) and we're talking about the money required to bring them back into the same drawer.

It's of paramount interest when the two are under separate ownership (separate drawers in separate offices in separate buildings) and we're talking about the money required to bring them back into the same drawer.
Give over...

We spent over £50m on the infrastructure.
When I did the stadium tour we were told the club had to spend £20 mill on the ground as Sky requirement for media facilities. None of these benefited the supporters at all. In deed we lost some corporate facilities to make room. Not sure whether this figure is included in the 50 mill or what that was for?

When I did the stadium tour we were told the club had to spend £20 mill on the ground as Sky requirement for media facilities. None of these benefited the supporters at all. In deed we lost some corporate facilities to make room. Not sure whether this figure is included in the 50 mill or what that was for?

Imagine how much Luton will have to spend to be ready for Aug and how much of a dent it will make in their budget for next season - especially on a ground they'll only keep for 3 more years.

CW and a couple of players were on considerably more than that in our PL seasons.

When Oli McB got fined for his drink driving, the structure & amount of his fine suggested that he was on circa £38k a week in the PL (although I know that this has been disputed on here). I think Mousset was on £20k per week the brief time he was with us, and he'd be at the mid point of our wage structure.

I think at least one player is currently on more than that this season because they didn't/don't have a wage reduction clause.

The squad that got promoted from the champ to the PL under CWAK, shared something like a £25m to £29m bonus pot (it's in the accounts).

The figure that the HRH mentioned for CW was a figure that was in the region of what i'd been told he was on in, but I don't know whether that was basic salary + matchday bonus or basic salary + matchday bonus + promotion bonus. People seem to forget that CW had at least 4 pay rises in the time he was with us; May 2017, May 2018, July 2019 and January 2020 off of the top of my head.

As an example of sums involved, one of the coaching staff got a bonus of circa £400k, so whether that was paid as a lump sum or at an additional £7.7k a week I don't know.
Mcburnie was on 38k a fortnight

Nope.

A long time ago, the Club owned the training ground and stadium. McCabe moved that to a Scarborough subsidiary (Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd) so the Prince only got the Football Club when he won the court case and handed over his £5m. This means there's a middle section to your view:

McCabe owned the football ground (Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd)

McCabe still owns the football ground (still in Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd)
The football club does not own the football ground

The football club bought the football ground (and training ground) from Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd (McCabe) and paid using a £30m mortgage

The Prince owns the football club and football ground but ultimately owes Emirates bank £30

Bramall Lane Stadium Ltd was never more than a dormant company. The ground was owned the old PLC, now Cutlers Holdings Ltd. The Hotel was in Sheffield United Hotel Ltd. Not sure where the rest of the properties were held, name changes etc.

I agree with you on the difference between now and then though. Everything is now clearly held and controlled by HRH . As above with the hotel ( and presumably Shirecliffe) things were held away from any link to the club.

It was 78 because of promotion bonuses went down to 50 so etching next year
Think the promotion bonus’s were in the previous years figures. We lost a large amount the year we went up because of them.

I expect there was some bonus’s for wins / top10 finish though.

The 53m or so was also only for 11 months so you’d have to prorate that.

The accounts suggest around £6m for the upgrade assuming the £45m figure for the fixed assets is correct.

Not sure where I read it (but deffo on here so it must be true) but the win bonuses would only be paid if the team were currently in the top 6, or finished overall in the top 6...

So whilst in the top 6, win bonus would be paid at end of the month, the rest when out of the top 6 were paid on a top 6 finish..

Hence them playing out of thier skin last season to reach the play offs, meaning all the frozen win bonuses from when outside the top 6 were paid out with a top 6 placing at the end of the season..

Not sure where I read it (but deffo on here so it must be true) but the win bonuses would only be paid if the team were currently in the top 6, or finished overall in the top 6...

So whilst in the top 6, win bonus would be paid at end of the month, the rest when out of the top 6 were paid on a top 6 finish..

Hence them playing out of thier skin last season to reach the play offs, meaning all the frozen win bonuses from when outside the top 6 were paid out with a top 6 placing at the end of the season..

I don't know about previous seasons, but this season has involved bonus payments for being either 1st or 2nd in the league during the season.

That's great news , reducing our bank debt.
I hope we don't start taking out further loans against our future instalments of PL money.

Would have thought that would be the plan now or we would try to extend the amount borrowed?

Probably some clever house keeping for a realistic sale around Christmas.

If Brighton and the owner are losing millions a year when does it end for thema? Its mad to think established PL clubs lose millions when they don't have big names players and sell on assets etc etc.

I think Norwood confirmed this on some podcast he did last season.

Surely a big part of brightons debt to the owner is financing the new stadium build?

That said I’d be surprised if they don’t have multiple players on over 100k a week (lallana / welbeck etc) . That soon adds up.

Thier wage bill was approximately £120m for the period where ours was £78m. That 40million higher is having to be financed by some ‘player trading’. But it’s not totally unsustainable given their turnover levels.

And we’ve all replied again & again that you are talking complete bullshit.
Not going well for you this is it? The first half- that he's spending nothing, is coming true. The next, that he'll pocket the money, will be true after around July 2nd/3rd. But, you and your little mates call bullshit

Surely a big part of brightons debt to the owner is financing the new stadium build?

That said I’d be surprised if they don’t have multiple players on over 100k a week (lallana / welbeck etc) . That soon adds up.

Thier wage bill was approximately £120m for the period where ours was £78m. That 40million higher is having to be financed by some ‘player trading’. But it’s not totally unsustainable given their turnover levels.
Brighton is a bit of an exception these days. They have made some good decisions but seem to continually hit the jackpot on player sales right now.

Lost their manager but got 20m, then successfully replaced him with someone who could kick them on further.

Sold Cucurella to Chelsea for around 60m and replaced him for about 16m with a Estupinan who made it into some pundits team of the season.

Sold Bissouma to Spurs for 25m with only a year left on his deal.

Got about 20m for Trossard from Arsenal.

Got 35m rising to 55m for Mac Allister who had only a year left.

Only a season before they sold Ben White for 50m, Dan Burn for in excess of 10m

On the flip side managed to pick up Gilmore for a snip at less than 8m, Joao Pedro for 30m, Milner on a free and likewise Dahoud from Dortmund for no fee.

It's a quite remarkable run they've had, especially when you consider Caicedo is going to go for money that eclipses all their sales to date.

Chuffed for them really considering not long back they were stuck at the Withdean Stadium. Just goes to show what a good owner and good decision making can achieve.

Back
Top Bottom