Anyone else just a bit "meh" about all this?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I am, being 20 at uni and everything to come when wilder was appointed. Now he’s probably left I’m 25 in a stable career job and more mature.

I felt like I would be sad and feel like my youth and freedom had ended when wilder left. However I realise for me football is more than who manages united and what league their in. I will be there every week whatever league were in (unless I’m playing football/coaching. I am signed as a player gk coach at a northern premier league team)

I love united and it will take more than sacking wilder to turn me away, love the sport and love United, just feels a little meh that he’s gone. But maybe that’s because of how the clubs handled the situation

Football is the most emotional yet conversely the least important thing in my life. Lockdown seems to have weened me off the game and it’s more in prospective given the shit that’s hit us already and what’s to hit us yet.

I’ve had more interest in watching the championship games last few months than watching the PL mainly because we are not to PL standard under current owners and dare I say manager. He would have been best man to lead us in the Championship but if we got promoted and he was given the eye watering funds again would the outcome be different?

More of a worry for me after the poor ownership record of Woolhouse (was he ever caught?), Hinchcliffe (was he ever released?), Brearly, McDonald, McCabe and now HRH we look ready to repeat history, do it ont cheap and snatch defeat from the jaws of success.

The combination of VAR, which means you can never celebrate a goal, and no crowds/COVID has drained the life out of it.

I thought I'd actually be gutted when the day came, but I'm actually not that moved by today's activities tbh.
I've been a Wilder clapper since day one, I thinks that's obvious to all who've read my shit posts over the last 4 years, but I'm very "meh" about today.
I guess only time will tell if things work out better with Chris gone, but I'm half pissed off and half looking forwards to something different. It's not been the greatest season ever has it.
Being in my fifties I've been through worse than this, so I'm wary and optimistic at the same time.
My only real concern today is wondering if we'll keep JOC!

It's the most Sheffield United end to something beautiful you'll ever get. Something completely unexpected (a rape charge, a global pandemic) comes along and derails all the good stuff that came before it.

Shame on us all for enjoying ourselves for ten minutes 😉

Lockdown has really changed how I'd probably feel about this. I realise more than ever now that supporting Sheffield United is less about the success on the pitch and more about actually being there with the fans. This season hasn't been real to me and to be honest I just want to see my club again whether it be in The Premier League under Wilder or in League One under Megson. I want to feel like I'm part of the club and right now I just don't feel that which is why I'm fairly nonchalant about Wilder going.

Do I think it's a terrible move for us? Yes. Do I think we going to struggle to get back to The Premier League for years? Yes. Am I worried about where the club goes next? Yes

But it's not hit me anything like it would have if I was going to Leicester on Sunday. I wish I had the anger others have in a way but I don't. It's sad and for me it's a backwards move but to be honest I think it was coming to end anyway. I think we would have struggled to get top 6 next season with Wilder and he would have left before the season was out. I think our rise has simply caught up with us and it's fizzled out. To be honest I knew it was just around the corner. I think we all secretly did. We don't have a chairman with enough money to compete and no manager can carry on making miracles forever. For me The Wilder era was coming to an end no matter what and it's not really anybody's fault. It's not The Prince's fault he doesn't have the money and it's not Wilders fault his gambles haven't performed at the top level.

I'm quite relaxed about it all. I'm so happy I got to witness the best times in person and I don't think we will ever see them repeated in that way again. At the same time I've seen nothing from The Prince to suggest we are in danger of going the same way as Wednesday or anything. I think it's just hit a wall where one man believes we have to try a different road to bridge the gap from The Championship to The Premier League and the other doesn't agree with the plan. Cut aside the emotion and it's just two men who I believe want the best for the club having different ideas. One of them has a proven track record of success and the other is a total novice but let's see what happens. Who knows? It could be the making of us (it almost definitely won't be obviously but let's dream for a bit)

Lockdown has really changed how I'd probably feel about this. I realise more than ever now that supporting Sheffield United is less about the success on the pitch and more about actually being there with the fans. This season hasn't been real to me and to be honest I just want to see my club again whether it be in The Premier League under Wilder or in League One under Megson. I want to feel like I'm part of the club and right now I just don't feel that which is why I'm fairly nonchalant about Wilder going.

Do I think it's a terrible move for us? Yes. Do I think we going to struggle to get back to The Premier League for years? Yes. Am I worried about where the club goes next? Yes

But it's not hit me anything like it would have if I was going to Leicester on Sunday. I wish I had the anger others have in a way but I don't. It's sad and for me it's a backwards move but to be honest I think it was coming to end anyway. I think we would have struggled to get top 6 next season with Wilder and he would have left before the season was out. I think our rise has simply caught up with us and it's fizzled out. To be honest I knew it was just around the corner. I think we all secretly did. We don't have a chairman with enough money to compete and no manager can carry on making miracles forever. For me The Wilder era was coming to an end no matter what and it's not really anybody's fault. It's not The Prince's fault he doesn't have the money and it's not Wilders fault his gambles haven't performed at the top level.

I'm quite relaxed about it all. I'm so happy I got to witness the best times in person and I don't think we will ever see them repeated in that way again. At the same time I've seen nothing from The Prince to suggest we are in danger of going the same way as Wednesday or anything. I think it's just hit a wall where one man believes we have to try a different road to bridge the gap from The Championship to The Premier League and the other doesn't agree with the plan. Cut aside the emotion and it's just two men who I believe want the best for the club having different ideas. One of them has a proven track record of success and the other is a total novice but let's see what happens. Who knows? It could be the making of us (it almost definitely won't be obviously but let's dream for a bit)
You've done a good job of describing the intangible reasons why similarly minded people feel almost nonchalant IMO - I love and mourn the normal Wilder era, but the bizarro world version seems like an unrelenting kick in the bollocks

Excellent post. Basically how I see it.

I wanted CW to stay for another go next season but I felt like he was very jaded and burning out. Looked to me like he needed to go away, have a complete break, and refresh himself. 5 years in football management with one club is a long time especially when you micro manage a club like CW has.

As much as I didnt want it to end now, part of me was wanting a change with someone who isn't obsessed with the same formstion even when for various reasons it's not really worked this season. It was like he couldn't see the woods for the trees at times.

Sometimes you need to shake things up and freshen the place up to keep moving forward. In a way I'm gutted, but in another way I'm almost relieved. I feel the same as I did when Bassett moved on all those years ago.

It's a kick in the balls now, but we'll come good again and it might even be just what we need to shake off the stigma of relegation next season (provided the next gaffer is the right one).

I'd also love to see CW return as manager again in the future and i wouldn't be surprised if he rocked up again sometime in the future. Til next time Chris.

Last edited:
It's a weird one isn't it.. I truly believe if us fans had been there none of this would be happening and we'd be 6/7 points above the bottom 3. As someone else mentioned earlier, covid has been the perfect storm.
Then again when you can't compete on wages, which our epic rise through the leagues has seen to it was all going to come tumbling down at some Point. Aren't we the only team without billionaire owners?

It's like the love of your life genuinely caught crabs from a bog seat, but there's no way you're buying that, so it has to end.

Ah well.. At least we aren't pigs.

I cherish the period from August 2016 to March 2020. Wilder has given me many happy memories and he is the one must responsible for our success in that period. He was excellent.

Since then, his tactical and transfer nous have completely deserted him, the form of a number of players has collapsed, and we are on course for the worst season in our history in terms of results. I wanted him gone.

Now it actually seems to be happening I am sad because I remember what a great manager he was, but then I think about last Saturday’s performance, and 20+ others in the last year, and I think “meh”.

The other reason I am relatively ambivalent was that I have long thought we would be skint next season and it would be a struggle. We have a small, poor squad. We wouldn’t be coming back quick whoever was in charge.

I am of course also worried about the next appointment.

Haha. Those were good days. Still no idea why I was perma banned though. None of the admins had a clue either.
Weird place but some great memories.

I followed when the adverts chased me accross the Internet, I ran up S24SU's rear entrance to escape them..

The combination of VAR, which means you can never celebrate a goal, and no crowds/COVID has drained the life out of it.

I actually couldn't believe my luck that wilder took us up to the Premier league, I genuinely thought it would take years and years to get back, I was in proper disbelief when we got promoted, pure joy..

But the Premier league / VAR shit show.

Hope I never see us play there ever again.. I'll take Rochdale away "flashbangs and pyros" over John lundstams big toe being offside so the "spurs fan" who's operating the var screen doesn't have to see his team lose..

We weren't good enough in all honesty

But I dont mind if we never get back, this has taken the joy out of it all..

I was there at the start of the first ever prem season, I genuinely hope I never see us play there again..

Tbh the more drunk I got the nearer the fight venue.
They were great days though I've no idea how I survived attending training sessions at shirecliffe and match days.
Im much calmer now. You cunt.
You want some?

Nice post Roy.

This day has been coming for a while. If not now then next season.

I wanted CW to stay but in my heart of hearts knew that we'd not get promoted next season. It would probably just have got increasingly antagonistic in the media, forums and in the stands.

I guess this ten game buffer allows us to take our time with the next manger and maybe even get them in with a couple of games to go so they can get used to the set up before the summer break.

I think we all kind of know that last season has been the bigh of this era.

Nice post Roy.

This day has been coming for a while. If not now then next season.

I wanted CW to stay but in my heart of hearts knew that we'd not get promoted next season. It would probably just have got increasingly antagonistic in the media, forums and in the stands.

I guess this ten game buffer allows us to take our time with the next manger and maybe even get them in with a couple of games to go so they can get used to the set up before the summer break.

I think we all kind of know that last season has been the bigh of this era.

"I don't know why, call it a hunch, but I reckon JVW will be at the helm for the last few games"

"the notre dame post"

To be honest I'm 67 and this is the worst I've felt of any season. For me worse than the 1980-81 season. It was the raised expectations after last season, the 30,000 + crowds, the unity of manager and fans, and much more. I'm realistic all good things come to an end, but I can't think of a more disappointing season than this one.

Such a good post, you've caught the mood perfectly and summed up how things have developed. Pity about the " little old Sheffield United", inference though, even though it's probably true.

I didn’t want to post straight away as there’s clearly a lot of emotion running wild at the minute. But here’s my view if anyone cares...
Yes we all know and love that Chrissy Wilder is one of our own, that’s never been in question. But unfortunately it’s like the Prince has had to deal with two completely different people on a business level. There’s the Chris who galvanised the club, was innovative, positive, a true leader over the last 4 years (could list more positives)
Then there’s the Chris who this season has been overly negative, stubborn, critical, wasteful this season (could list more negatives)
I can honestly see and understand why this has all come to an end. We’ve been an utter shit show. Does that mean I’m happy with the way things have transpired? No of course not! I wanted Chrissy Wilder to be our Fergie and shock the footballing World season after season!
Unfortunately though something has changed. Petty fall outs, underhand digs, stubborn tactics, team selection, reluctance to compromise have all been common place...
I don’t think the board have made this decision on a whim. I think we need to consider that as we as a club, as Sheffield United, look to move forward and come back stronger. As always UTB!

A couple or three years ago I drafted an article for Flashing Blade positing the question as to whether we really wanted, or needed, promotion to the Premiere League. At the time I was thinking about the top 8 or 9 clubs in that league whose supporters only need to worry at the start of each season, about the possibility of missing out on European football. Couple this with the bias of referees towards those clubs and the money that they all chuck around and it seemed a no-brainer, to a certain extent. In addition to this, I was very concerned at the quality of our squad and whether it was suitable for the Prem. At the end of the article, I obviously came to the conclusion that it was probably a good thing for us, for no other reason than us getting a load of money. And then, of course, we got promoted so I shelved the article, and what a first season we had! Following the Blades since the 60s, I had never known such times. We had a genuine Blade in charge who loved the club like we all do and the squad responded magnificently. Onwards to the second season to cement a mid-table place and kick on, which for various reasons didn't happen. I love CW and what he has done for the club, but as many have said, the club is bigger than any one man and, I guess, I would rather see us winning matches in the Championship than losing in the Prem. That presumption of winning will depend on the person we get as manager, and, to be honest, none of the names mentioned thrill me. As they say, watch this space.

Agree with everything said on this thread. I've been reading the anger and the "that's me done" posts all day and wondering if anyone else was feeling as philosophical about it all as I was. I'm in my 40's so like many of you have seen our rise and fall and rise and fall etc etc etc over the years. Nothing the club does really surprises me any more. It's just football. Roygbiv and knowsnowt have summed things up perfectly. I love Wilder for everything he's done for us, but nothing lasts forever and this season has been appalling. Any other manager would have been sacked months ago, let's face it.

Here as in 14 points from 28 games? Why?
Got us here as in two promotions in 3 seasons and nearly in Europe last.

We shouldn't judge everything on one bad season, if we did then Wilder is rightfully leaving as his record has been terrible this season too, but we know that's not the case or what we want.

Back
Top Bottom