Another nail in the PL coffin...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You keep saying that but it gets no more true each time you say it. The prospect of English Premier League games being played abroad for the sole purpose of increased revenue should be a concern for every club outside the top six.
Show me the plans/announcement about it. You won't find one. A completely different lawsuit not involving the premier league was settled that's created a headline that started this thread.

The only public comments over overseas games from those in power in the premier league is there isn't any plans. 🤷‍♂️

Show me the plans/announcement about it. You won't find one. A completely different lawsuit not involving the premier league was settled that's created a headline that started this thread.

The only public comments over overseas games from those in power in the premier league is there isn't any plans. 🤷‍♂️
I know, and as I said … the PROSPECT, not PLAN.

Ah yes a potentially extra few billion pounds nail

The grumpiness from some blades because we are shit is pathetic.

The Premier league is a massive success story and is essentially the European super league in terms of wealth

Well said....that's the reality.
Keep hearing comments like "football is broken", "the bubble will burst" and "it's not football anymore".
Agree...it's not football anymore.....it's a massive business and the English Premier League is massively beating every other league.
The giants of Europe, Real, Barca, Juventus, Milan know they will never be able to complete with the big PL clubs and the gap will grow bigger.
Hence why those clubs are desperate to attack the popularity of the EPL by forming a new Euro league and hope to entice the big English clubs with them.

"Another nail in the Premier League coffin" is losing a sense of reality.
The facts are the PL has never been as successful and as popular in the country and worldwide.

Clubs like Newcastle, Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool have 20 to 30,000 active season ticket waiting lists.
At Arsenal you even need to pay £100 just to be waiting in line on their season ticket waiting list.

Many countries abroad (like the USA, Brazil, Australia etc) complain that the Premier League is more popular than their own leagues.
In a country like Brazil most of the kids wear Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal shirts instead of shirts from the Brazilian league. Tim Vickery, a journalist living in Rio de Janeiro, says the traffic and streets go quiet when a big PL match is on because so many people are indoors watching the PL match.

Some of the financial experts are predicting the PL will only become bigger and totally dominate the world.
Sheffielders traditionally hate change, our fans want everything to stay the same and we just plod along.
Said this before but I really believe it's the conservative, stuck in the past attitude of Sheffield as a whole that puts off investors.

Imagine a billionaire investor buying SUFC saying he had massive ambition to be challenging for Europe every season.
You can bet many of our fans would be complaining worried about large price increases and predicting/insisting it will lead to failure and massive debts.
I'm a life long Blades and even I wouldn't buy SUFC because it's a thankless task.

Also why would Man Utd, Liverpool leave the PL, when all the money is in the PL.
They would only leave if there's a gaurantee that the Euro super was bigger and more lucractive but that's unlikely to be the case in the foreseeable future.
The big clubs would prefer to play in both the PL and any Euro super league. Think there's along way to go for any of this could happen.

Last edited:
I don't truly believe this would pose a massive problem for us
I suspect it could, we'd be despatched to forrin to fulfil the role of cannon fodder to ensure plenty of goal mouth action in cultures that can't concentrate for more than 30 seconds. Cough-America-Cough.

Sadly the horse bolted decades ago and I am not entirely sure what can be done to amend it now.

The more the Americans get involved in owning clubs then we won't be too far away from relegation from the PL being scrapped totally.

What an awful thought. I enjoy the last game of the season and the run in - top and bottom. Doing something like that would be terrible
When I briefly reacquainted myself with the MLS format when Billy went over there, I couldn't get my head around the American thing of end of season playoffs to decide the champions. Why bother having a league then. Worse than when Scotland moved to the mid-season split.

Well said....that's the reality.
Keep hearing comments like "football is broken", "the bubble will burst" and "it's not football anymore".
Agree...it's not football anymore.....it's a massive business and the English Premier League is massively beating every other league.
The giants of Europe, Real, Barca, Juventus, Milan know they will never be able to complete with the big PL clubs and the gap will grow bigger.
Hence why those clubs are desperate to attack the popularity of the EPL by forming a new Euro league and hope to entice the big English clubs with them.

"Another nail in the Premier League coffin" is losing a sense of reality.
The facts are the PL has never been as successful and as popular in the country and worldwide.

Clubs like Newcastle, Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool have 20 to 30,000 active season ticket waiting lists.
At Arsenal you even need to pay £100 just to be waiting in line on their season ticket waiting list.

Many countries abroad (like the USA, Brazil, Australia etc) complain that the Premier League is more popular than their own leagues.
In a country like Brazil most of the kids wear Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal shirts instead of shirts from the Brazilian league. Tim Vickery, a journalist living in Rio de Janeiro, says the traffic and streets go quiet when a big PL match is on because so many people are indoors watching the PL match.

Some of the financial experts are predicting the PL will only become bigger and totally dominate the world.
Sheffielders traditionally hate change, our fans want everything to stay the same and we just plod along.
Said this before but I really believe it's the conservative, stuck in the past attitude of Sheffield as a whole that puts off investors.

Imagine a billionaire investor buying SUFC saying he had massive ambition to be challenging for Europe every season.
You can bet many of our fans would be complaining worried about large price increases and predicting/insisting it will lead to failure and massive debts.
I'm a life long Blades and even I wouldn't buy SUFC because it's a thankless task.

Also why would Man Utd, Liverpool leave the PL, when all the money is in the PL.
They would only leave if there's a gaurantee that the Euro super was bigger and more lucractive but that's unlikely to be the case in the foreseeable future.
The big clubs would prefer to play in both the PL and any Euro super league. Think there's along way to go for any of this could happen.

Football's crap now, not like it used to be in the good old days said almost every Sheffielder ever.

It's not true though, even most Sheffielders know that it is a million times better than it used to be, it's just that they've fucked off to support someone else. The only people still grumbling about modern football are Sheffield United fans.
The fans of both Sheffield clubs think because they can still get average/decent attendances that everything is fine with the world, but both clubs have lost legions of would be fans over the last 30 years.
So much so that I'd say that only about 10% of the city support each club, the other 80% either support someone else or aren't bothered.

It's the realisation about how absolutely fucking shit and backward this club is, and even though they won't admit it and will slag this post off to high heaven, they know it's shit.

When I briefly reacquainted myself with the MLS format when Billy went over there, I couldn't get my head around the American thing of end of season playoffs to decide the champions. Why bother having a league then. Worse than when Scotland moved to the mid-season split.

Would it not make more sense for Scotland just to have 2 leagues of 20 teams each?

I didn’t want promotion. I don’t want premier league football and the sooner we are back where we belong the better. My opinion on that will not change until we have serious investment. We have no business playing in the premiership unless we can compete on and off the pitch with them. Otherwise whats the point, Of course games will be played abroad, it works well with Nba,NHL etc. All the epl care about is money. We dont have any. I enjoy the championship, a competitive league, no VAR, tues night games. The Fa cup has an allure too- I miss it . I sound ryt grumpy but iam sure most would agree with me.

For all the talk of NFL having big money, and they do, over here more fans watch go to watch college football than go to NFL. College stadiums are bigger, fans way more fanatical and the games are more fun to watch.....kinda like championship v prem. There are no millionaire owners in college yet head coaches make millions a year. Even high school American football is well supported and very entertaining. College and high school grass roots and are very well protected by the money of the NFL.

Football's crap now, not like it used to be in the good old days said almost every Sheffielder ever.

It's not true though, even most Sheffielders know that it is a million times better than it used to be, it's just that they've fucked off to support someone else. The only people still grumbling about modern football are Sheffield United fans.
The fans of both Sheffield clubs think because they can still get average/decent attendances that everything is fine with the world, but both clubs have lost legions of would be fans over the last 30 years.
So much so that I'd say that only about 10% of the city support each club, the other 80% either support someone else or aren't bothered.

It's the realisation about how absolutely fucking shit and backward this club is, and even though they won't admit it and will slag this post off to high heaven, they know it's shit.
The money in the game has meant that we’ve had to invest in technology and coaching to improve the game from grassroots up. So we’ve ended up with technically better players.

But I’d be happy yo-yoing with the latest academy kids coming through and the odd big signing, I grew up on ‘80’s and ‘90’s football with forays into the premier league. I go less in the top league as the games are rarely sat/ tues and I have a life beyond football a lot of the time.

I’ve no interest in a big investor, just keep plugging away wheeling and dealing.

I’d like a European run someday, but only against opposition in countries of my choosing. Couldnt think of anything worse than some poxy French town in mid November or a February away trip to Netherlands. I’d want all our away games to be in warm interesting locations where the beer is colder than the weather, otherwise i can watch us away at Boro or Blackburn instead

Ah yes a potentially extra few billion pounds nail

The grumpiness from some blades because we are shit is pathetic.

The Premier league is a massive success story and is essentially the European super league in terms of wealth
It's the mentality unfortunately. It's Scouse-esque...almost.

I’m old enough to remember when we finished 9th, we were challenging for Europe for the bulk of the season and it was easily one of the best seasons of the last 30 years.
That team wouldn't get near 9th now. The amount the league has moved on is pretty startling

It seems that rules have now been changed in order to allow domestic (Premier League) fixtures to be held abroad, in a move that is apparently being described as groundbreaking....

I mean listen, I don't truly believe this would pose a massive problem for us (even as a Premier League team). This move would be of more interest to the big 6 of the league, as they look to cash in on the global markets. Little Sheffield United hold little neutral interest within the Uk, never mind the global market. You are more likely to see a Man City vs Liverpool game played in some 100k plus American stadium, in the same respect that they tried to take a domestic Barca v Real Madrid game out out to Miami a couple of years back.

It does however further aid that financial gulf between clubs like them and clubs like us! It is almost as if the Tory government have taken charge of the Premier League in this day and age.... They adjust policy in favour of the leading stakeholders and aim to make the rich, richer.... and the poor, poorer.....

Whilst I fear for the old fashioned football fans of these 'elite' clubs, they need to let them go and do their own thing in a European super league. Of course they won't allow this because they need to protect the financial integrity of the Premier League. They don't want to de-value their own brand.

Likewise you wouldn't see many of the smaller clubs voting against Premier League qualification and participation, because whilst inevitably it generally leads to a season of being whipping boys, the financial incentives pay for the clubs running for a few seasons... it's a no brainer.

I don't know the solution, but I do know that our recent flirts with the top side have somewhat ruined my passion for the sport as a whole. I will always love Sheffield United football club with all my heart, but where is the happy medium? What do we sacrifice?... Our integrity? The future financial security of the club?....

A stint in the Premier League was once seen as a cup final every week.. a fantastic challenge and opportunity! Now it's just a chore! It's ridiculous!.... the enjoyment well and truly zapped. And it seems they are determined to bow down to the big boys again in order to try and keep the financial integrity of the league in tact!

It's bullshit.
Good grief.

demtoreez.jpg

That team wouldn't get near 9th now. The amount the league has moved on is pretty startling
Not sure it's THAT different. I just heard on blades pod how close we are to the amount of goals we scored in that season.

I think we were just a bit of a freak rather than a genuine top half side

Not sure it's THAT different. I just heard on blades pod how close we are to the amount of goals we scored in that season.

I think we were just a bit of a freak rather than a genuine top half side
A bit of both. Our goals conceded number was a massive outlier (only 8 teams in PL history have conceded 39 or less and finished outside the top 6.

But that league had extremely weak managers and teams in transition/waiting to spend money. This 9ne feels much more established and steady

But, as much as I despise the Premier League, it easily pisses all over all its European counterparts…Why would you destroy something that is so successful.
Why not let Madrid, Barca and Juve join the English pyramid in league 2…Then in time the Prem will become the de facto ESL by meritocracy.

Someone posted that Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan, Inter Milan Juventus etc. cannot compete with the top clubs in the English Premier League. What a load of rubbish.Barcelona/Real Madrid Milan clubs all have stadiums bigger than any in the Premier League. for a start. if the European Super League was given the go-ahead. I bet none of the English clubs will win it.

Someone posted that Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan, Inter Milan Juventus etc. cannot compete with the top clubs in the English Premier League. What a load of rubbish.Barcelona/Real Madrid Milan clubs all have stadiums bigger than any in the Premier League. for a start. if the European Super League was given the go-ahead. I bet none of the English clubs will win it.

Stadium size is pretty irrelevant after a certain point. How said capacity is distributed and monetised is more important, although any match day revenue is fuck all compared to TV revenue. Would an extra 30k seats at, say, Old Trafford if they were all bog standard ones selling at £50 a game even increase their yearly revenue by 1%?

It seems that rules have now been changed in order to allow domestic (Premier League) fixtures to be held abroad, in a move that is apparently being described as groundbreaking....

I mean listen, I don't truly believe this would pose a massive problem for us (even as a Premier League team). This move would be of more interest to the big 6 of the league, as they look to cash in on the global markets. Little Sheffield United hold little neutral interest within the Uk, never mind the global market. You are more likely to see a Man City vs Liverpool game played in some 100k plus American stadium, in the same respect that they tried to take a domestic Barca v Real Madrid game out out to Miami a couple of years back.

It does however further aid that financial gulf between clubs like them and clubs like us! It is almost as if the Tory government have taken charge of the Premier League in this day and age.... They adjust policy in favour of the leading stakeholders and aim to make the rich, richer.... and the poor, poorer.....

Whilst I fear for the old fashioned football fans of these 'elite' clubs, they need to let them go and do their own thing in a European super league. Of course they won't allow this because they need to protect the financial integrity of the Premier League. They don't want to de-value their own brand.

Likewise you wouldn't see many of the smaller clubs voting against Premier League qualification and participation, because whilst inevitably it generally leads to a season of being whipping boys, the financial incentives pay for the clubs running for a few seasons... it's a no brainer.

I don't know the solution, but I do know that our recent flirts with the top side have somewhat ruined my passion for the sport as a whole. I will always love Sheffield United football club with all my heart, but where is the happy medium? What do we sacrifice?... Our integrity? The future financial security of the club?....

A stint in the Premier League was once seen as a cup final every week.. a fantastic challenge and opportunity! Now it's just a chore! It's ridiculous!.... the enjoyment well and truly zapped. And it seems they are determined to bow down to the big boys again in order to try and keep the financial integrity of the league in tact!

It's bullshit.
If they could play the rest of our games this season in Australia or failing that the moon... that would be great

Bigger stadiums and more corporate bigger taking etc. The best players sign for the Spanish-Italian-Germany mainly. However, you did answer my main question why can't those big foreign clubs compete in the English Premier League.

I mean you did not answer my question jt64. why the big foreign clubs can't compete if they were in the English Premier League?

Except it's not just us Blades complaining about the gap between the Big Six and the rest. West Brom, Stoke, Leeds, Leicester, Birmingham, Derby, Reading, QPR, Forest, Charlton, Norwich. I was even talking to Matt Le Tissier who was saying the same kind of thing.

There's a growing feeling that the game is broken.

Except it's not just us Blades complaining about the gap between the Big Six and the rest. West Brom, Stoke, Leeds, Leicester, Birmingham, Derby, Reading, QPR, Forest, Charlton, Norwich. I was even talking to Matt Le Tissier who was saying the same kind of thing.

There's a growing feeling that the game is broken.
There are fans of many clubs who should be looking to consolidate in the PL who feel this way. I'm not suggesting they're in the majority but I've had many conversations over quite a few years now, usually before and after games, with opposition fans of clubs like those you mention who aren't passionate about playing in the top flight any longer.

We recently had a few drinks with Leeds fans we got chatting to on a day out in Hebden Bridge who felt the same.

I'm not saying it's binary but I think it's people who attend games regularly who feel like this as opposed to those who watch more on tv.

Back
Top Bottom