Analisis Tactico: Sheffield United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blader

Reaction score

Lovey tactical analysis from the Spanish media - unfortunately if you I can’t speak Spanish, you will have to watch 20 minutes of rambling intertwined with ‘Sheffield United’ ‘Bramall lane’ and ‘Chris Wilder’.

nice to be getting recognition internationally!

For those who can’t speak spanish, basically it’s very complimentary! (mine isn’t great but fortunately my neighbour is Spanish!)

So we can expect Real Madrid to adopt the overlapping center backs next season!

Closing line "Sheffield United os queremos muchisimo" (S.U we love you loads)

Key points they talk about:
Overlapping centre backs and creating overloads (Basham, Egan and O'Connell described as "Como tres armarios" (like 3 wardrobes) 😂 )

Norwood and Fleck sitting but lundstram getting into the box...(Fleck described as very limited and not especially good at anything but someone you'd want in the trenches with you..)

Last main point is McG and how deep he drops to make the play, they're astonished by how there are often 3 or 4 players more advanced than him...and they praise his technical ability (although they call him "un tronco" (a tree trunk) to start with but I'm not sure what this means in the context ... 🤔)

In summary they say we're immense tactically and very surprising as all players perform different functions to what you'd normally expect from their nominal positions...)

Last main point is McG and how deep he drops to make the play, they're astonished by how there are often 3 or 4 players more advanced than him...and they praise his technical ability (although they call him "un tronco" (a tree trunk) to start with but I'm not sure what this means in the context ... 🤔)

My understanding of the use of "tronco" is that it refers to an immobile sort of player, usually a centre half to be honest or a big old yard dog of a centre forward. Harsh, but it would fit into the context.

However, as you say, they praised him to the skies for his importance in developing the play.

My favourite Spanish word for describing a player is "corpulento" This is not entirely as it appears in English, it's used to describe a player who's simply powerfully built.

My Spanish isn't what it was but I didnt think the quip about our fans being Dempseys Boris bumboys was called for.

Out of order in fact.
don't forget the tank tops

To briefly translate the sentiment...
As you should be able to see and understand... they love us a lot.
They recognise and appreciate our tactical innovations: That is to say: Sheff Utd are a team of "football surrealists"... where the defender is the attacker, the midfielder defends, the attacker is the midfielder... who has zero assists (and that is brilliant!!!), who then gives the ball to the midfielder (on the other side of the field), who does a one two with Bashambauer and scores a blinder!
They end up saying that with Sheff Utd "nothing is at it seems" and it doesn't get better than that!

I love the fact that these guys really have done their homework and are very knowledgeable and extremely complimentary about us. They start off by saying that we are a breath of fresh air in the Premier League. They call us innovators and compare us to Swansea from a few years ago who are, like us, not a huge fashionable club but used their own innovative brand of football to impose themselves on the premiership. They talk about us being a predominantly British and Irish team who get the absolute maximum out of what we have. Even BDTBL gets a mention as a legendary stadium and they seem genuinely pleased for our fans that we are in the prem.

I'll tell you what, these two could teach many of our British football 'experts' a thing or too about football tactics and analysis.

It's probably the best analysis I've seen this season, unlike the so called British experts. I think the use of "tronco" for McGoldrick, is to compare him to Egan and Ollie, as the backbone of the team. (I've might have lost some keypoints, as Spanish Spanish is slightly different from the Ecuadorian Spanish I know). But overall, they were thrilled on how we set up with a very fluid positional system, where defenders are attackers, midfielders rotate positions (Ollie going back and Lundstram forward) and McGoldrick as the midfield creator (but really being a striker). Also mention that they made a point on the team that Lys was now playing instead of Robinson.

Back
Top Bottom