An Unmitigated Disaster

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
When the people happiest at events in S2 reside in S6, we know it's bad news.

Chris Wilder was our greatest asset - the best manager we've had in a generation and potentially ever. Losing him speaks of gross mismanagement and I fear the consequences. We now have owners with no track record in running a successful football club and a heavily mortgaged stadium. Only a few steps from unthinkable consequences. I know Sheffield United will always break my heart but this was avoidable. Somebody didn't "stick to the plan".

When the people happiest at events in S2 reside in S6, we know it's bad news.

Chris Wilder was our greatest asset - the best manager we've had in a generation and potentially ever. Losing him speaks of gross mismanagement and I fear the consequences. We now have owners with no track record in running a successful football club and a heavily mortgaged stadium. Only a few steps from unthinkable consequences. I know Sheffield United will always break my heart but this was avoidable. Somebody didn't "stick to the plan".
Again. He's left by mutual consent apparently. He also wanted to leave, he's not been sacked, he's not resigned, he's literally agreed to leave.

Are you actually surprised? This is the worse finish to a season in the top flight in our history, he has been constantly sticking the knife in to media for the past month regards the board. He hasn't changed tactics and "they still work, anyone that doesn't see that is a playstation manager"

We could end up in free fall here.

Why are you so obsessed with us...your club is already in free fall and will be in league 1 next season.
We’re both as bad as each other....what is wrong with football in Sheffield?

I'd go on the Thank You thread as it was an incredible four seasons which nobody could ever have expected and a thank you doesn't say enough for that, but this one has been a fall so bad that it cannot just be ignored.

The timing is bizarre, and I've always been of the opinion that he should have started next season if he wanted to, but it looks like he didn't want to anyway.

The CWAK method of playing has reached its end. It may still have worked in the Championship to a degree, but it's been obvious this season that's been impossible for him/them to refine. I would have preferred to see what happened in August and September first, though.

As for being an unmitigated disaster, who can say? This season has pretty much been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm sure Southampton fans thought it was an unmitigated disaster when they sacked Adkins. Funny old game.

It’s been coming for a while let’s be honest.

Both can’t agree on which way the club goes next.

it’s sad that they couldn’t work something out. We owe a lot to Wilder and his staff.

If the reason for the departure is.....The Prince wanted a director of football whereas Wilder doesn’t
then I’ve not much patience with Wilder.

Any big club with ambitions always tends to have a director a football.
Its an old fashioned “little club” mentality where a manager controls everything....the job is too big.

I’m sure he didn’t want to leave, but the situation has obviously become untenable presumably due to demands from the Prince.
He had better come up with a good plan and replacement and hope it works, and not Big Sam or some of the other characters mentioned by some of those on here who wanted Wilder gone. No sensible person will accept a poor replacement and another slide through the divisions that we have seen prevously when we had Wilder in charge.

Again. He's left by mutual consent apparently. He also wanted to leave, he's not been sacked, he's not resigned, he's literally agreed to leave.

Are you actually surprised? This is the worse finish to a season in the top flight in our history, he has been constantly sticking the knife in to media for the past month regards the board. He hasn't changed tactics and "they still work, anyone that doesn't see that is a playstation manager"
"Mutual consent" means nothing as we well know. He's gone public because he's had little option given unfulfilled promises from the board, e.g. 2 loan signings in January. I've got no idea whether you are a "Playstation manager" or an A License coach but I do know he's worked miracles at Sheffield United and fully earned the right to see out a bad season and have another go next season. Who is better equipped to take us back up?

You view the problem as 'style of play', I view it as a paper thin squad with cover players, who weren't even Championship regulars - all because of budget. I also know our top earners are on half the average PL salary, hence why our signings are unproven younger players.

Losing a great manager is easy, replacing him, as we're about to find out, not so simple.

If this had to happen I wish it happened in November when there was still a transfer window and enough time to keep us up.

Seems utterly pointless now.

With that said when Howe left Bournemouth they moved forward and may well go up this year.

I didn't think 20/21 could get worse, but it did. Cursed season. Truly cursed. One for the annuls of Blades history in the worst possible fashion. I'm so angry.

Well s
I'd go on the Thank You thread as it was an incredible four seasons which nobody could ever have expected and a thank you doesn't say enough for that, but this one has been a fall so bad that it cannot just be ignored.

The timing is bizarre, and I've always been of the opinion that he should have started next season if he wanted to, but it looks like he didn't want to anyway.

The CWAK method of playing has reached its end. It may still have worked in the Championship to a degree, but it's been obvious this season that's been impossible for him/them to refine. I would have preferred to see what happened in August and September first, though.

As for being an unmitigated disaster, who can say? This season has pretty much been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm sure Southampton fans thought it was an unmitigated disaster when they sacked Adkins. Funny old game.
Well said, we can't just go all doom and gloom and say its a disaster. Yes Chris has done the unthinkable with us and for that we'll be forever grateful but these last 12 month have been an absolute joke that he couldn't pull us out of and to be quite honest looked completely out of his depth. He hasn't improved the squad as such even tho we've spent in excess of 100m. I'm gonna reserve judgment until we see who we get in and what the board put in place for next season. Don't anybody forget this owner has backed us in the transfer more than anybody else EVER.

The board want to put a structure in place and you cant blame them after the transfer windows and recruitment we've had. Chris wanted control of everything and he feels he should but the board think otherwise and rightly so. I believe the club will kick on and expand now. Ultimately whether it was Chris or prince or whatever. The players are to blame for this. They've let the club and wilder down

With that said when Howe left Bournemouth they moved forward and may well go up this year.
Not really, they've sacked another manager and are struggling to remain in touch with the Play-offs, with Barnsley above them.

Don't anybody forget this owner has backed us in the transfer more than anybody else EVER.
He's reinvested a chunk of the £200m+ Chris Wilder made for him. He also mortgaged our stadium to pay off McCabe.

He's reinvested a chunk of the £200m+ Chris Wilder made for him. He also mortgaged our stadium to pay off McCabe
The 200m wouldn't have been there if he didn't also back him in the Championship, Egan 4m Norwood 2m just to start.

The 200m wouldn't have been there if he didn't also back him in the Championship, Egan 4m Norwood 2m just to start.
He wasn't driving decisions in the Championship, as anyone inside the club will tell you. McCabe was still running things, which meant Wilder had, pretty much, free rein.

Seems a potential situation where everyone loses.

It will be heartbreaking for Chris to leave the club he loves.

For PA he was hoping last season was the start of things and not the end.

For the fans gutting to not have one of our own at the helm.

And then, we don't know what comes next...

Gutted by the news. Not totally surprised that it's happened but hadn't expected it to happen so soon.

I think the most worrying thing is if we assume the reports are correct that Wilder was willing to sell 7 players, make only loan signings but wanted work to start on the training ground. If that's correct, it means that the board couldn't make it happen which means we must be up shit creek financially.

I understand that we're not in a position where we can give a manager everything he wants but that doesn't feel like a big ask to me. I believe the board wanted to keep Wilder but it seems like they're unwilling or unable to do what was required to make that happen.

If the plan is to get rid of all the saleable assets, what is the board's expectation for next season? It can't be promotion surely?

Gutted by the news. Not totally surprised that it's happened but hadn't expected it to happen so soon.

I think the most worrying thing is if we assume the reports are correct that Wilder was willing to sell 7 players, make only loan signings but wanted work to start on the training ground. If that's correct, it means that the board couldn't make it happen which means we must be up shit creek financially.

I understand that we're not in a position where we can give a manager everything he wants but that doesn't feel like a big ask to me. I believe the board wanted to keep Wilder but it seems like they're unwilling or unable to do what was required to make that happen.

If the plan is to get rid of all the saleable assets, what is the board's expectation for next season? It can't be promotion surely?
The 7, Rammers Baldock Egan Oconnell ( yes I know they are inured as is Berge) Bogle Berge Fleck ?

The 7, Rammers Baldock Egan Oconnell ( yes I know they are inured as is Berge) Bogle Berge Fleck ?

Can't imagine CW would agree to that list.

My complete guess would be that Robinson, Rodwell, Mousset, Freeman, Baldock and Stevens might've been on there. Maybe Berge as well.

Can't imagine CW would agree to that list.

My complete guess would be that Robinson, Rodwell, Mousset, Freeman, Baldock and Stevens might've been on there. Maybe Berge as well.
Take Baldock off the list but add one of the 15 keepers. Probably Verrips.

Take Baldock off the list but add one of the 15 keepers. Probably Verrips.

Yeah, good point with the keepers. I'd gone for Baldock because I thought he'd need to let a big name go to show willing and we've got Bogle to replace him. I also think Baldock is our most saleable asset (out of the players who are currently fit)

Back
Top Bottom