An Article from View from the John Street

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

originaltrueblade

Reaction score
Long but worth the read fellow Blades

WHO motivates the motivator? A question posed recently by former Liverpool manager Graeme Souness on Sky Sports as Sheffield United emerged from yet another rallying half-time team talk.

Blades boss Chris Wilder’s enthusiasm and energy is infectious. Qualities that have punctuated an extraordinary management career stretching 20 years. The last 58 months being an unforgettable and, apart from very recent times, joyous reign at Bramall Lane.

But even he has a limit and on the morning of Friday, March 12, it had been reached. A haunting silence enveloped the club despite sports news outlets all over the country announced his exit. Thirty-six hours later it was officially confirmed he had departed by “mutual consent” in a short, corporate statement on the club’s website.

Shortly afterwards it was revealed that under-23 coach Paul Heckingbottom, a former Sheffield Wednesday defender, will take temporary charge, starting today for the trip to Leicester City, until the end of the season. He will be assisted by new arrival Jason Tindall, sacked by Championship Bournemouth after six months in charge. Tindall is a long-term friend of United chief executive Steve Bettis. Wilder’s assistant, Alan Knill, remains on the coaching staff as do the departed manager’s other close associates, goalkeeping coach Darren Ward and Matt Prestridge.

Make no mistake, Wilder chose to leave. The only mutual understanding was that he and club owner Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud have very different ideas about the way forward.

Regular readers of this website will be well versed in the reasons why Wilder’s decision to quit was merely a question of when to press the nuclear button. Judging by the response from the more naive of readers, this was viewed at best as hysterical misinformation designed as clickbait, at worst “poor journalism” or simply made up.

It wasn’t, as events have proven, but no apology needed. It was based on honest, fact-driven journalism backed by reliable sources, otherwise what’s the point? Wilder was prepared to quit at the turn of the year and had even begun engaging in what sounded like covert goodbyes, but then stepped back.

RELATIONSHIP

Partly because he still believed he could muster a survival fight; partly because of his affection for the club and his relationship with a group of honest, hard-working players he and his coaching staff inspired to extraordinary achievement. Individuals, with few exceptions, whom despite this season’s catastrophe, have never let heads drop. Which speaks volumes for their character and the judgment of the man who assembled them.

Now the club’s greatest asset by a considerable distance has been allowed to leave. Why? Because Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and his regime claim they know, with precious little evidence to support it, what is best for Sheffield United.

Apparently, Wilder, lifelong Blade, ballboy, player and manager, doesn’t. A man who in 2016 took a broken club – and let’s not forget the Saudi businessman was co-owner at the time, therefore bearing his share of the responsibility for the state it was in – and lifted United from League one to the Premier League within three years. I can’t speak for you, but I know whose judgment I trust.

Even Wilder’s appointment was nothing to do with the Saudi royal, other than to offer a rubber stamp. The manager was all set to join Charlton Athletic before Prince Abdullah’s then partner, Kevin McCabe, made a late, instinctive intervention to steer him to the Lane. That is not to suggest favour with McCabe, just to illustrate that Prince Abdullah’s knowledge of English football is limited to FIFA 21 and all of its previous variations of which he is reported to be a keen advocate. That and the superficial glitterati of Europe’s football elite which adorn his purpose-built array of TV screens in Riyadh.

KNOWLEDGE

“You don’t support Sheffield United if you are a glory hunter,” said Wilder earlier this season. The irony, especially because of where the Blades are now heading, will probably be lost on a Saudi who has sparse knowledge of the British grassroots game but apparently is basing future, cost-conscious strategy on it.

Some Blades fans after a beer or four, may well claim to have spotted Chris Wilder strolling along the River Don. If the feat were humanly possible, you wouldn’t put it past him. But the 53-year-old is just that – human.

In the last fortnight, the demeanour a man who has relentlessly faced TV cameras and microphones, and answered mostly similar and monotonous questions (to be fair material has been limited), with trademark honesty and good humour, even the daft ones, has visibly declined.

Wilder, as every Blade knows, is a winner. Under normal circumstances even a draw from the jaws of victory, is enough for toys to come out of the pram, albeit well-crafted ones. The earliest evidence of which for those with good memories was United’s visit to Charlton in League One.

So, it is easy to understand how after 28 attempts, 22 league defeats and only 14 points is difficult enough for Wilder to get his head around. Especially as largely the same group of players lost only seven (four of those were against eventual champions Liverpool and runners-up Manchester City) and amassed 43 points at the same stage in the last campaign.

REMARKABLE

Even more remarkable as it was United’s first taste of top flight football for 12 years. A team widely regarded as favourites for relegation occupied sixth place, two points short of a Champions League birth, when a pandemic intervened.

First signs that already strained matters behind the scenes were turning toxic was when Wilder told Sky Sports after a 2-0 home defeat to Liverpool that United’s model is to finish 17th and try to buy the best Championship players. Anyone who has followed his relentless drive to push boundaries, would immediately know such fingernail strategy is of no long-term interest to an ambitious Wilder.

Two days later he cast doubt on his future during a pre-match Press conference ahead of a home date with Aston Villa in what turned out to be his last victory. Asked where he saw himself next season, Wilder replied: “I don't know. Head down on to the Villa game, what will be will be.” Pointedly, he added: If we stick to the plan, I want to stay.”

After another home defeat, this time to Southampton, possibly unbeknown to him, his swansong, Wilder said: "That player of the year award at the end of the season is not going to be contested between six or seven players this time round. I am not being flippant about that, but that is it.” He added: “It looked a game too far for us. I’m looking at it and thinking I could have made some changes, but unfortunately, I couldn’t, there weren’t too many options.” And for the first time he admitted: “We looked like we’d run our race.”

TRUST

But it isn’t what has happened on match days that ultimately proved to be the final straw for Wilder. It was a blatant lack of trust behind the scenes from his employer who is insistent on fundamentally changing the way things are done going forward whilst renaging on what Wilder thought were promises. It didn’t help, either, that Prince Abdullah was always uneasy about the manager’s tell-it-as-it-is approach and I-am-my-own-man style which brought matters to a head. Or from Wilder’s perspective, they way in which his boss sought to distance himself from the Blades’ plight and, in rare public interviews, appeared to be looking for credit for not sacking the manager.

Naturally, ownership brings with it power and entitlement, but it also demands responsibility. Whatever your take on how Sheffield United find themselves in what only a few months ago would have been regarded as unimaginable decline, it’s a sorry state of affairs. How Prince Abdullah has managed to look a gift horse in the mouth and trash United’s amazing Premier League progress, is unforgivable.

He has undermined a man with huge football knowledge and know-how, coupled with extraordinary man-management skills and, by and large, an uncanny eye for untapped talent, the bedrock of United’s dramatic rise from League One. Not only that, undermined him to such an extent that he has chosen to walk away from the club he dearly loves.

Why? Because, apparently, Prince Abdullah and his entourage know better. I’ll leave you to be the judge of that one.

WHO motivates the motivator? A question posed recently by former Liverpool manager Graeme Souness on Sky Sports as Sheffield United emerged from yet another rallying half-time team talk.

Blades boss Chris Wilder’s enthusiasm and energy is infectious. Qualities that have punctuated an extraordinary management career stretching 20 years. The last 58 months being an unforgettable and, apart from very recent times, joyous reign at Bramall Lane.

But even he has a limit and on the morning of Friday, March 12, it had been reached. A haunting silence enveloped the club despite sports news outlets all over the country announced his exit. Thirty-six hours later it was officially confirmed he had departed by “mutual consent” in a short, corporate statement on the club’s website.

Shortly afterwards it was revealed that under-23 coach Paul Heckingbottom, a former Sheffield Wednesday defender, will take temporary charge, starting today for the trip to Leicester City, until the end of the season. He will be assisted by new arrival Jason Tindall, sacked by Championship Bournemouth after six months in charge. Tindall is a long-term friend of United chief executive Steve Bettis. Wilder’s assistant, Alan Knill, remains on the coaching staff as do the departed manager’s other close associates, goalkeeping coach Darren Ward and Matt Prestridge.

Make no mistake, Wilder chose to leave. The only mutual understanding was that he and club owner Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud have very different ideas about the way forward.

Regular readers of this website will be well versed in the reasons why Wilder’s decision to quit was merely a question of when to press the nuclear button. Judging by the response from the more naive of readers, this was viewed at best as hysterical misinformation designed as clickbait, at worst “poor journalism” or simply made up.

It wasn’t, as events have proven, but no apology needed. It was based on honest, fact-driven journalism backed by reliable sources, otherwise what’s the point? Wilder was prepared to quit at the turn of the year and had even begun engaging in what sounded like covert goodbyes, but then stepped back.

RELATIONSHIP

Partly because he still believed he could muster a survival fight; partly because of his affection for the club and his relationship with a group of honest, hard-working players he and his coaching staff inspired to extraordinary achievement. Individuals, with few exceptions, whom despite this season’s catastrophe, have never let heads drop. Which speaks volumes for their character and the judgment of the man who assembled them.

Now the club’s greatest asset by a considerable distance has been allowed to leave. Why? Because Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and his regime claim they know, with precious little evidence to support it, what is best for Sheffield United.

Apparently, Wilder, lifelong Blade, ballboy, player and manager, doesn’t. A man who in 2016 took a broken club – and let’s not forget the Saudi businessman was co-owner at the time, therefore bearing his share of the responsibility for the state it was in – and lifted United from League one to the Premier League within three years. I can’t speak for you, but I know whose judgment I trust.

Even Wilder’s appointment was nothing to do with the Saudi royal, other than to offer a rubber stamp. The manager was all set to join Charlton Athletic before Prince Abdullah’s then partner, Kevin McCabe, made a late, instinctive intervention to steer him to the Lane. That is not to suggest favour with McCabe, just to illustrate that Prince Abdullah’s knowledge of English football is limited to FIFA 21 and all of its previous variations of which he is reported to be a keen advocate. That and the superficial glitterati of Europe’s football elite which adorn his purpose-built array of TV screens in Riyadh.

KNOWLEDGE

“You don’t support Sheffield United if you are a glory hunter,” said Wilder earlier this season. The irony, especially because of where the Blades are now heading, will probably be lost on a Saudi who has sparse knowledge of the British grassroots game but apparently is basing future, cost-conscious strategy on it.

Some Blades fans after a beer or four, may well claim to have spotted Chris Wilder strolling along the River Don. If the feat were humanly possible, you wouldn’t put it past him. But the 53-year-old is just that – human.

In the last fortnight, the demeanour a man who has relentlessly faced TV cameras and microphones, and answered mostly similar and monotonous questions (to be fair material has been limited), with trademark honesty and good humour, even the daft ones, has visibly declined.

Wilder, as every Blade knows, is a winner. Under normal circumstances even a draw from the jaws of victory, is enough for toys to come out of the pram, albeit well-crafted ones. The earliest evidence of which for those with good memories was United’s visit to Charlton in League One.

So, it is easy to understand how after 28 attempts, 22 league defeats and only 14 points is difficult enough for Wilder to get his head around. Especially as largely the same group of players lost only seven (four of those were against eventual champions Liverpool and runners-up Manchester City) and amassed 43 points at the same stage in the last campaign.

REMARKABLE

Even more remarkable as it was United’s first taste of top flight football for 12 years. A team widely regarded as favourites for relegation occupied sixth place, two points short of a Champions League birth, when a pandemic intervened.

First signs that already strained matters behind the scenes were turning toxic was when Wilder told Sky Sports after a 2-0 home defeat to Liverpool that United’s model is to finish 17th and try to buy the best Championship players. Anyone who has followed his relentless drive to push boundaries, would immediately know such fingernail strategy is of no long-term interest to an ambitious Wilder.

Two days later he cast doubt on his future during a pre-match Press conference ahead of a home date with Aston Villa in what turned out to be his last victory. Asked where he saw himself next season, Wilder replied: “I don't know. Head down on to the Villa game, what will be will be.” Pointedly, he added: If we stick to the plan, I want to stay.”

After another home defeat, this time to Southampton, possibly unbeknown to him, his swansong, Wilder said: "That player of the year award at the end of the season is not going to be contested between six or seven players this time round. I am not being flippant about that, but that is it.” He added: “It looked a game too far for us. I’m looking at it and thinking I could have made some changes, but unfortunately, I couldn’t, there weren’t too many options.” And for the first time he admitted: “We looked like we’d run our race.”

TRUST

But it isn’t what has happened on match days that ultimately proved to be the final straw for Wilder. It was a blatant lack of trust behind the scenes from his employer who is insistent on fundamentally changing the way things are done going forward whilst renaging on what Wilder thought were promises. It didn’t help, either, that Prince Abdullah was always uneasy about the manager’s tell-it-as-it-is approach and I-am-my-own-man style which brought matters to a head. Or from Wilder’s perspective, they way in which his boss sought to distance himself from the Blades’ plight and, in rare public interviews, appeared to be looking for credit for not sacking the manager.

Naturally, ownership brings with it power and entitlement, but it also demands responsibility. Whatever your take on how Sheffield United find themselves in what only a few months ago would have been regarded as unimaginable decline, it’s a sorry state of affairs. How Prince Abdullah has managed to look a gift horse in the mouth and trash United’s amazing Premier League progress, is unforgivable.

He has undermined a man with huge football knowledge and know-how, coupled with extraordinary man-management skills and, by and large, an uncanny eye for untapped talent, the bedrock of United’s dramatic rise from League One. Not only that, undermined him to such an extent that he has chosen to walk away from the club he dearly loves.

Why? Because, apparently, Prince Abdullah and his entourage know better. I’ll leave you to be the judge of that one.
Told it how it is great post !!

Lovely unbiased report. 👍🏼

Is it?

Seems to blow great wafts of sunshine from the hoop-la of a man who has managed a shitload of defeats this season, squandered a king's ransom on players unused or incapable and refused outright to change a system so easily beatable. This has nothing to do with last season, the season before or any of the greatness Wilder has previously brought to SUFC. Like pop music, you're only as good as your last record.

The Prince owns the club. It's his train set and his 'brand'. Being anchored at the foot of the biggest domestic league in the world and beaten week on week isn't good for his brand, or us for that matter.

We can get all 'Bladey' about this as much as we want, but face it. If this were Kevin Blackwell in charge and having just been dispatched by the back door after a catastrophically shit season, we'd have been saying 'Thank Fuck!' rather than 'Holy Fuck!' And the crux of the argument is 'change'. Wilder wouldn't change, his team wouldn't change and he didn't want change in the form of a DoF.

pommpey

Is it?

Seems to blow great wafts of sunshine from the hoop-la of a man who has managed a shitload of defeats this season, squandered a king's ransom on players unused or incapable and refused outright to change a system so easily beatable. This has nothing to do with last season, the season before or any of the greatness Wilder has previously brought to SUFC. Like pop music, you're only as good as your last record.

The Prince owns the club. It's his train set and his 'brand'. Being anchored at the foot of the biggest domestic league in the world and beaten week on week isn't good for his brand, or us for that matter.

We can get all 'Bladey' about this as much as we want, but face it. If this were Kevin Blackwell in charge and having just been dispatched by the back door after a catastrophically shit season, we'd have been saying 'Thank Fuck!' rather than 'Holy Fuck!' And the crux of the argument is 'change'. Wilder wouldn't change, his team wouldn't change and he didn't want change in the form of a DoF.

pommpey

Resident Shock Jock strikes again. 😉

I hazard you’ll be able to set aside the revisionism as they’ll be plenty of material this next few seasons Pommps. 😂

Resident Shock Jock strikes again. 😉

I hazard you’ll be able to set aside the revisionism as they’ll be plenty of material this next few seasons Pommps. 😂

I get people's 'grief'. I get their questioning on the judgement. But if Wilder is as inflexible to rectify the shit he is ultimately responsible for - and been supported with - then why do people have such a problem in facing the reality? It's not as though he has gone and we are in the top half of the table. Then you'd have summat to whinge about. We are rock-the-fuck-bottom, and have been forever. We've played 29 games, been beaten 23 times, won four and drawn two. The team which have achieved that pretty abject and embarrassing feat are all Wilder's men, playing to Wilder's tactics, week in, week out. And the breathtakingly large amounts of money squandered on players sat on the bench, loaned out or swap dealt for more incapable options are all his making.

And people say it's HRH who 'knows nowt'.

pommpey

I get people's 'grief'. I get their questioning on the judgement. But if Wilder is as inflexible to rectify the shit he is ultimately responsible for - and been supported with - then why do people have such a problem in facing the reality? It's not as though he has gone and we are in the top half of the table. Then you'd have summat to whinge about. We are rock-the-fuck-bottom, and have been forever. We've played 29 games, been beaten 23 times, won four and drawn two. The team which have achieved that pretty abject and embarrassing feat are all Wilder's men, playing to Wilder's tactics, week in, week out. And the breathtakingly large amounts of money squandered on players sat on the bench, loaned out or swap dealt for more incapable options are all his making.

pommpey

I understand wage bill last year was c. 25% lower than Norwich and Norwich finished bottom. I expect our wages were comfortably bottom this season.

Wilder’s performance last year was absolutely astonishing over performance. We reverted to mean this year, with the wage constraints we have imposed on us and underperformed. I think most people have accepted he’s gone to a larger or smaller degree. What some people may find tiresome are slightly infantile diatribes about arguably the best manager in our history. I think context will arrive shortly, the context being the next manager will be far less able than the last.

If I hadn’t seen such riches I could live with being poor. 🙁

I understand wage bill last year was c. 25% lower than Norwich and Norwich finished bottom. I expect our wages were comfortably bottom this season.

Wilder’s performance last year was absolutely astonishing over performance. We reverted to mean this year, with the wage constraints we have imposed on us and underperformed. I think most people have accepted he’s gone to a larger or smaller degree. What some people may find tiresome are slightly infantile diatribes about arguably the best manager in our history. I think context will arrive shortly, the context being the next manager will be far less able than the last.

I'd argue about him being 'the best manager in our history'. Certainly 'one of the most successful', but given where we were, and what regime we had at the time, it was only a matter of time that the selection of a good manager happened given McCabe had hired and fired (at great expense) so many failures, fuck ups and false starts. Wilder was definitely 'the one' and has proven to be, but the measure of him being a 'great manager' isn't the badge he wears or his bladey bladeyness, It's how he deals with the crisis. And whilst it may seem tiresome and infantile to you, the reality of our situation happened under his watch. We can blame 'the injuries' and 'the lockdown' and 'the lack of fans' and christ knows what else but the bottom line is out there, over ninety minutes, eleven against eleven (mainly) we've been piss poor and beatable. Think I'm wrong? Go look at the table.

This isn't 'shock jock' stuff. It's the reality of football at the highest echelons. We can't escape who we are as a footballing entity, and right now we are right where we deserve to be, and Wilder has had every chance to change that. He hasn't.

pommpey

I'd argue about him being 'the best manager in our history'. Certainly 'one of the most successful', but given where we were, and what regime we had at the time, it was only a matter of time that the selection of a good manager happened given McCabe had hired and fired (at great expense) so many failures, fuck ups and false starts. Wilder was definitely 'the one' and has proven to be, but the measure of him being a 'great manager' isn't the badge he wears or his bladey bladeyness, It's how he deals with the crisis. And whilst it may seem tiresome and infantile to you, the reality of our situation happened under his watch. We can blame 'the injuries' and 'the lockdown' and 'the lack of fans' and christ knows what else but the bottom line is out there, over ninety minutes, eleven against eleven (mainly) we've been piss poor and beatable. Think I'm wrong? Go look at the table.

This isn't 'shock jock' stuff. It's the reality of football at the highest echelons. We can't escape who we are as a footballing entity, and right now we are right where we deserve to be, and Wilder has had every chance to change that. He hasn't.

pommpey

He couldn’t sustain a miracle for more than one season.

The reality of football at the highest echelon is one which seems to sadly escape this club. That in order to be competitive you have to pay Premier League wages. Our last three visits to the top flight, we’ve essentially followed the same approach and failed. Chris made mistakes I’m sure, but until we have a change of the mentality which appears to have dogged this club for generations, on our once a decade jaunt to the PL we’ll remain the yappy terrier picking up scraps under the (top) table, before its promptly turfed outside again.

Wilder was definitely 'the one' and has proven to be, but the measure of him being a 'great manager' isn't the badge he wears or his bladey bladeyness, It's how he deals with the crisis. And whilst it may seem tiresome and infantile to you, the reality of our situation happened under his watch.

Are you trying to say Wilder is not a great manager ?

pommpey
Dont usually agree with all your posts mate but spot on regarding this fiasco. How people think Wilder is free of criticism baffles me and I'm a big Wilder fan. You cant fuck up as bad as this season and not expect changes, the world doesn't work like that.

" It was based on honest fact driven journalism backed by reliable sources"

Having managed strategic communications on government contracts in the past that coming from a so called journalist made me smile. :)

I have no journalistic experience, and questionable writing ability to say the least.

But I've got to say, that article totally lacked balance. It just scanned like a CW propaganda piece.

This thing isn't black and white, good vs evil, there are shades in between.

So what happens now, Rightly or wrongly the managers gone, finished, Kaput, no matter how we feel about it it's the end of that story and it's move on time.
Now we have people on here who claim to love the club, trying their best to turn a bad situation into a disaster, surprise surprise ......:mad:

I should in theory support this article, because my bias is toward Chris Wilder, although I've refrained from criticising the ownership too harshly until I know the facts (there's a lesson in there, kids).

But I'm also aware that whoever is behind VFJS is a bitter malcontent whose stock-in-trade is doom-laden, sensationalist, shit-stirring. So again, fuck them and anybody else who publishes their opinion dressed up as fact. It's divisive and unhelpful.

Like it or not, top level sport is all about 'what have done lately'. Wilder presided over the second worse PL season in history and doubled down by being petulant and demonstrating very little humility and self-awareness.

It's those last points which hurt the most because I thought he was better than that! I really did...

However, surely it's possible to exist in the shade of grey that thinks Wilder was brilliant, he's the best manager of my lifetime, I wanted him to stay - however, he's shit the bed this season and rather than stick around and clear it up, he's upped and left us lying in a bed of shit!

Dont usually agree with all your posts mate but spot on regarding this fiasco. How people think Wilder is free of criticism baffles me and I'm a big Wilder fan. You cant fuck up as bad as this season and not expect changes, the world doesn't work like that.
I’m a huge Wilder supporter. Everyone I know is. None of them, or me, think Wilder is blameless this season.

Last edited:

Oh sit darn!

RELATIONSHIP

KNOWLEDGE

REMARKABLE

TRUST

In response to this article from VFJSS - not the poster (you're not one and the same are you?).

Ain't this, or is this, the truth?

Wouldn't it have been more helpful for this piece to be a little more responsible, a little more reasoned and to stop trying to push so many buttons to make this a little less charged and much less dramatic.

Is this designed to create an "us and them" mentality which is clearly going to be of no help for the club? The Prince owns the club. That is one simple fact. Another simple one is that CW has gone. I can see that there are many who want to undermine the Prince. In doing so the club is being undermined as well.

I am sure pointing out various facts may make some feel better but does it really help? "Paul Heckingbottom, a former Sheffield Wednesday defender, will take temporary charge". So he played for the pigs. So what! Is that intended to wind as many people up as possible?

"Jason Tindall, sacked by Championship Bournemouth after six months in charge. Tindall is a long-term friend of United chief executive Steve Bettis." I imagine most people on here might actually follow football. We all knew Tindall was sacked. Are you suggesting we've dragged in a loser in because, now CW has gone, that is what we are "losers"? He is a friend of Bettis'. I understood CW was also a friend of Bettis' Why not point that out as well?

"Wilder’s assistant, Alan Knill, remains on the coaching staff as do the departed manager’s other close associates, goalkeeping coach Darren Ward and Matt Prestridge." Well, I'll be damned, what on earth are they still doing here? As you are in the know please do tell us? Of course! It's because they have mortgages to pay - any other reason(s)?

"Even Wilder’s appointment was nothing to do with the Saudi royal, other than to offer a rubber stamp. The manager was all set to join Charlton Athletic before Prince Abdullah’s then partner, Kevin McCabe, made a late, instinctive intervention to steer him to the Lane. That is not to suggest favour with McCabe, just to illustrate that Prince Abdullah’s knowledge of English football is limited to FIFA 21 and all of its previous variations of which he is reported to be a keen advocate." Your statement here is so biased and unfairly weighted in favour of McCabe that it makes me wonder if the rest of what you say is true. Is it worth even reading? (Yes, I know I did read it, all of it.) McCabe was not interested in recruiting CW. Eventually, almost at the last minute, he got his act together and changed his mind having been hassled a lot by Bassett. Wouldn't it have been nice if he had used that unbelievable, but non-existent, "instinctive intervention" to recruit CW some years earlier when Bassett had first urged him to do so? Maybe he spent those intervening years buffering and polishing and being very careful with the wax on his "instinctive intervention"?

Don't go building McCabe up into something he never was. However, just think if McCabe had followed Bassett's much earlier advice and used his phenomenal and singularly unique "instinctive intervention", then we would have had CW years earlier, no Prince would have ever been involved and then McCabe could have sold us to Burnley's new owners 5 years ago. A win win all round! How much better off would we have been?

If that is the case that "Wilder’s appointment was nothing to do with the Saudi royal" then why did he send some of his people to interview CW and AK? As I understand it they were very impressed with AK, less so with CW. I suppose, as you have explained how uninterested in United the Prince is, that can never have happened.

I could go on.

I did not want CW to go.

I want United to do well, be successful and, who knows, get promotion next season - if that is at all possible.

If what you have said is true then there is no need to over dramatise, paint a distorted picture and try and score unnecessary points to support what you say because that will simply give people reason to question what you print and may well turn them off completely from what are the really important facts of the matter.

On the other hand, maybe with all that bias this is just some toxic, jorno crap and we should all ignore it.

(PS: I know I must have far too much time on my hands today.)

I could understand the decision to dispense with Wilder, if the Prince had just arrived in Sheffield, with very little knowledge of the club or it’s fanbase. But he’s been here from the start of the Wilder revolution and has gone on the same wonderful journey as us all.

Let's face it CW is not blameless, he offered to go earlier and was talked out of it, that's what we've been led to believe. If nothing else CW has his principles and, he is still embroiled in a bygone age of football, good thing or bad we all have our opinions.

I have to say though I don't accept it's all the Prince's fault, they could not agree and were at an impasse so CW left. The Prince has to be bang on getting it right though as our fans will leave him in no doubt about their feelings.

I don't like a lot of things that go off now i.e. Head Coach, Massive Wages, DoF, these are pretty new concepts and lots of clubs do have DoF's so I believe. I recall it being mentioned when NW was boss cannot remember if bringing one in or, making him DoF and a new coach come in.

I'm old school but I am open to change if it's for the better for our club, CW leaving that one we'll have to wait to see how that pans out. I hate the money that's in PL football e.g. wages, merchandise and the fact gone a year with no fans, and no club has folded. To my mind this just highlights how PL fans are ripped off with stuff especially admission prices, CW was 100% right you don't follow United for glory.

This time though it seems to me as though one of our few "good times" in the limelight has been snatched away from us, or we've lobbed it away. We can speculate all we like on this site as to who new boss will be but, United must have a firm idea and are keeping cards close to chest they have to get it right though.

We cannot afford to go back in time to the doldrum years and treading water in League 1, Sunderland & Ipswich seem to be trying to emulate our stay there, it's bloody hard to get out of.

I really hope that this is a blip and money can be used wisely and the right boss and players brought in, and we mount a promotion challenge that will be successful, failing this I don't envisage seeing my beloved Blades going up in my lifetime again and that pains me.

Reactions: 10p

Back
Top Bottom