Outgoing? All the Olivers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pay them off,sell them,give them away,whatever it is they are not good enough,one is a lanky idiot,another is slow idiot,another thinks grass is ice.
How Burke's made so much money up to press out of allegedly Playing football is baffling.

Who had the best shot on target for us yesterday ?
McB is far more skilled than many on here can see. I wonder sometimes if posters have ever played competitive football
I agree. He's done well everywhere else he's played where he's had chance to do what he's good at.

Doesn't stand a chance here playing as a James Hanson at the hardest level there is.

Who had the best shot on target for us yesterday ?
McB is far more skilled than many on here can see. I wonder sometimes if posters have ever played competitive football
sorry flake we will have to agree to disagree on mcburnie just dont rate the guy and ive been watching united for 60 years by the way and have played competitive football

sorry flake we will have to agree to disagree on mcburnie just dont rate the guy and ive been watching united for 60 years by the way and have played competitive football
I am happy to disagree and will be the first to accept that I am wrong if he fails to impress in the Championship (if he is still with us).
My comments about forum members having played were intended to be general as some posts suggest otherwise, but I apologise for suggesting that you were one of them.
I also find that the older I get the better I was when I played, although those that played with me often remind me of the reality that I was an outstanding reserve for the 3rd eleven !

I am happy to disagree and will be the first to accept that I am wrong if he fails to impress in the Championship (if he is still with us).
My comments about forum members having played were intended to be general as some posts suggest otherwise, but I apologise for suggesting that you were one of them.
I also find that the older I get the better I was when I played, although those that played with me often remind me of the reality that I was an outstanding reserve for the 3rd eleven !
well a few months ago i would have said same about mcburnie in the championship but im really not sure about him now just dont rate the guy at all but do have great hopes for rian brewster next season fancy him for 20 plus goals providing we get the midfield sorted out with more creativity and pace

I don’t really understand this ’our style of play’ excuse for McBurnies ineffective performances. irrespective of the teams tactics, during 90 minutes of football, if you’re reading the game, anticipating, gambling and taking up the right positions, chances will fall to you and a good player will show his ability, develop it and get a decent shot in.

McBurnie has played 72 Premier League goals and scored 9 goals, which shows that he doesn’t do that, consequently he is not and never will be a successful goal scorer at this level. The reality is that we need to build a team capable of competing at the highest level and when we recruit, the Premier League has to be our benchmark.

It’s pointless having ‘players who can do it in the Championship’ if the clubs aspirations are to become an established Premier League side, our current plight should teach us that, at least.

I don’t really understand this ’our style of play’ excuse for McBurnies ineffective performances. irrespective of the teams tactics, during 90 minutes of football, if you’re reading the game, anticipating, gambling and taking up the right positions, chances will fall to you and a good player will show his ability, develop it and get a decent shot in.

McBurnie has played 72 Premier League goals and scored 9 goals, which shows that he doesn’t do that, consequently he is not and never will be a successful goal scorer at this level. The reality is that we need to build a team capable of competing at the highest level and when we recruit, the Premier League has to be our benchmark.

It’s pointless having ‘players who can do it in the Championship’ if the clubs aspirations are to become an established Premier League side, our current plight should teach us that, at least.
I understand the point but unless we have players who “can do it in the Championship “ we will not get back in the Premiership. At that point he may be discarded.

I understand the point but unless we have players who “can do it in the Championship “ we will not get back in the Premiership. At that point he may be discarded.
But we don't have the financial clout to do that, as we’ve seen. Once you’re a Premier League team you can add another nought on salaries, established top players are out of our reach even if they’d come to the relegation favourites and every team were bidding against has a bigger wallet anyway. That model would be ideal, if you’re happy with a yo-yo club identity.

The club needs to assemble and develop, a young Premier League quality squad while still a top Championship club, its the only way I can see us getting any sort of long term foothold in the EPL.

RND, Brewster and Bogle should be the model, interspersed with a few quality late 20’s older heads.

As a forward McBurnie has failed, full stop. His demeanour and his awareness just isn’t good enough for the Premier League and to be honest it’s debatable if he will do it in the Championship next season. That being said, we haven’t played to his strengths have we. Just lobbing it up to him isn’t how he likes to play and Swansea didn’t do that with him nor Barnsley. We have to see who is coming in and what type of football we are going to adopt. It maybe that it suits McBurnie and we see a different player.

As a forward McBurnie has failed, full stop. His demeanour and his awareness just isn’t good enough for the Premier League and to be honest it’s debatable if he will do it in the Championship next season. That being said, we haven’t played to his strengths have we. Just lobbing it up to him isn’t how he likes to play and Swansea didn’t do that with him nor Barnsley. We have to see who is coming in and what type of football we are going to adopt. It maybe that it suits McBurnie and we see a different player.
also dont think mcburnie will do it for us in the championship only hope of him doing well i think is if we go to a front 3 which suited him at swansea

I would like to see McBurnie play facing the goal and not just holding it up or flicking it on. He is big enough to force defenders back into the penalty box and have to defend crosses into the area but that’s dependant on good service. We have rarely seen him been given good service for him to have a decent chance at competing for a ball.

I would like to see McBurnie play facing the goal and not just holding it up or flicking it on. He is big enough to force defenders back into the penalty box and have to defend crosses into the area but that’s dependant on good service. We have rarely seen him been given good service for him to have a decent chance at competing for a ball.
agree with you there he got in great goalscoring positions at swansea but was being fed by wide forwards either side of him getting the ball in to the box early not like us fannying about playing in triangles out wide and letting defenders get back in position mind still dont rate the guy think hes had his best days

So what you are trying to say is that we should be having eleven / fifteen Premiership quality players in the Championship. You cant attract those sort of players whilst you are a Championship club never mid pay their wages on a Championship budget

But we don't have the financial clout to do that, as we’ve seen. Once you’re a Premier League team you can add another nought on salaries, established top players are out of our reach even if they’d come to the relegation favourites and every team were bidding against has a bigger wallet anyway. That model would be ideal, if you’re happy with a yo-yo club identity.

The club needs to assemble and develop, a young Premier League quality squad while still a top Championship club, its the only way I can see us getting any sort of long term foothold in the EPL.

RND, Brewster and Bogle should be the model, interspersed with a few quality late 20’s older heads.
Your proposal still works if we have a couple of young strikers coming through to replace McB.

So what you are trying to say is that we should be having eleven / fifteen Premiership quality players in the Championship. You cant attract those sort of players whilst you are a Championship club never mid pay their wages on a Championship budget
You can bring together a squad of young players or older ones that are late developers whilst in the Championship who then progress.
We have just done something similar.
Once up you can then add a couple of experienced players, which we failed to do this time around

How much did we, in effect, pay?

I have little to back this up, but read that when we sold Robinson we got Burke and £3m cash. I think on that basis Burke was valued at £5m. I still think that could end up being a good deal, but recent evidence doesn't play in my favour in this regard.

I have little to back this up, but read that when we sold Robinson we got Burke and £3m cash. I think on that basis Burke was valued at £5m. I still think that could end up being a good deal, but recent evidence doesn't play in my favour in this regard.
It's a good deal if we can get £5mill back for him! In all my time of watching the Blades(50 odd years) he's in the top 5of possibly the worst footballers I have ever seen, in othewords he's shit.

Interesting, if true.
But these days I am at a loss as to what a player is worth.
Then again, if you think the papers have said what a player cost there are always those who are happy to tell you it was a lot less than you think.
Well, certainly as far as all those outrageous fees United have paid.

agree with you there he got in great goalscoring positions at swansea but was being fed by wide forwards either side of him getting the ball in to the box early not like us fannying about playing in triangles out wide and letting defenders get back in position mind still dont rate the guy think hes had his best days
I think we would have to be massively dominating the opposition for McBurnie to be effective. His close control is poor. Gets pushed off the ball easily. Finishing has been poor. His heading ability is questionable he does get under the ball when it is dropping but control of where the ball is going isn't there. His fouling has increased and most of the time it is silly shove in the back kind of petulant stuff. He may have had a good season with Swansea but I don't see enough from him that warrants keeping.
Brewster while being poor is young and does have a decent control particularly in the rare occasions of having a shot. We may need a work horse to compliment him but McBurnie is not the answer.

I agree we can’t afford a team of established Premier League players, but we can afford future Premier League players.

Its about identifying and recruiting the right type of players at a young age, whilst also developing our own and building a reputation as a club where talent is given a chance irrespective of age. I accept its easier said than done, but I think we should be looking toward this kind of future model

If, on the other hand, the only way to succeed is by paying huge transfer fees and huge salaries to players other teams have developed, then without some billionaire benefactor, we might as well resign ourselves to being amongst also rans.

I agree we can’t afford a team of established Premier League players, but we can afford future Premier League players.

Its about identifying and recruiting the right type of players at a young age, whilst also developing our own and building a reputation as a club where talent is given a chance irrespective of age. I accept its easier said than done, but I think we should be looking toward this kind of future model

If, on the other hand, the only way to succeed is by paying huge transfer fees and huge salaries to players other teams have developed, then without some billionaire benefactor, we might as well resign ourselves to being also rans.
But you do need some players that can just do it in the Championship (hopefully McBurnie is one of those players) as you cant have a team full of Premier League quality players.
The signing of future Premier League players is a gamble weve done that with Brewtser and its not paid off this season. I do think he will be a good goalscorer in coming seasons for us as Ive seen enough to think he will come good. You would have thought McBurnie would have been one of these future PL players you talk of.
So its quite a gamble signing potential. If /when we go back up to the PL you need a smattering of experienced players that are proven at PL level (eg Besic, Wilson) as that has been a problem this season but you cant usually sign those of players until you are actually in the PL

Back
Top Bottom