Incoming? Alexander Blessin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He did. Or at least the group he worked for before joining Luton did--it was advertising itself to clubs as able to interpret and work around the new rules re signing overseas players.
I was really surprised to see just how fundamentally different the criteria for Managers/Coaches are from the criteria for Players.

I was really surprised to see just how fundamentally different the criteria for Managers/Coaches are from the criteria for Players.
It’s all far beyond my ken. I do know that Jay seemed to be talking on Twitter in a way that implied he understood the new rules pretty well or worked with people who did and were selling their services.

"Off-the-record briefings, with helpful journalists and those perceived as being willing to slavishly toe the party line, are also being arranged to help sell Blessin to supporters"

Its the type of comment you keep in your draft box rather than commit to a verbal public tantrum. Tends to suggest the Club have got their strategic communications act together after a difficult few weeks. The Prince alluded to the Clubs side of the story not being out there indicating a feeling the press coverage on CW leaving was one sided. Hence one of the reasons for his public statement.

Looks like the Club have plugged some of the leaks and are restricting information to those sources they can trust as any competent organisation would. Shields has just ensured any exclusives on SUFC have now been confined to the dustbin for the foreseeable future. As the saying goes "you don't bite the hand that feeds you".
Yeah. But it's all a load of shit isn't it. Contracts. Hierarchical Reporting Lines. Release Clauses. Governing Body Endorsement Criteria. Agents Fees. Court Cases. Planning Permission. Leaking Roofs. Load of Shit.
I won't reveal my sources, but a journalist who covers SUFC recently said to me - I just want to write about headers & tackles. I hear you Brother

"Off-the-record briefings, with helpful journalists and those perceived as being willing to slavishly toe the party line, are also being arranged to help sell Blessin to supporters"

Its the type of comment you keep in your draft box rather than commit to a verbal public tantrum. Tends to suggest the Club have got their strategic communications act together after a difficult few weeks. The Prince alluded to the Clubs side of the story not being out there indicating a feeling the press coverage on CW leaving was one sided. Hence one of the reasons for his public statement.

Looks like the Club have plugged some of the leaks and are restricting information to those sources they can trust as any competent organisation would. Shields has just ensured any exclusives on SUFC have now been confined to the dustbin for the foreseeable future. As the saying goes "you don't bite the hand that feeds you".
Agreed, reads pretty embarrassingly to me. It's also not something that rings true to me either. I wouldn't say any publication has "slavishly toed the party line". Hemmingham for the Examiner I thought at times even veered into be too pro-Wilder. The Star folks will no doubt be closer to it, and maybe they're annoyed at being shut out, but immature barbs like that aren't going to fix things.

FWIW, while I also thought Danny's tweet re: Lingard was odd given all suggestions were that he wasn't particularly interested in coming, he's a decent bloke, has written a couple of cracking books on us of late and, perhaps even more importantly, is a poster on this forum. If we had to put up with the shit journalists do on a regular basis on Twitter I'm sure many of us would end up blocking people. Even if may only seem like a small criticism to you, or a genuine question, it may be just enough to push them over the edge.

Does worry me that the JVW and the Prince want to be more hands on on transfers. Didn’t they have a voting system anyway to approve any deal?

Let’s see what happens with Blessin - national and local press now saying no approach has been made. Might well be that Oostend want to keep any move on the down low until their season ends shortly.
Why does it worry you?

Why does it worry you?

I think the current system is reasonably hands on - board voting on any transfer. JVW being more involved is fine, but I don’t see how the Prince can be more involved in the process as it’s effectively a ratification role for an owner. I.e it’s clearly demarcated. If an owner wants to get involved in player selection, then I think that’s a bad idea. That’s what I would worry about - there’s an example down the road of owners overstepping their mark.

I think the current system is reasonably hands on - board voting on any transfer. JVW being more involved is fine, but I don’t see how the Prince can be more involved in the process as it’s effectively a ratification role for an owner. I.e it’s clearly demarcated. If an owner wants to get involved in player selection, then I think that’s a bad idea. That’s what I would worry about - there’s an example down the road of owners overstepping their mark.

I think (hope) all that the board/owners want to happen is for there to be some flexibility, openness and better communication regarding targets moving forward. If it's true, for example, that we needed a goalkeeper and Wilder only came back with Ramsdale as a name and wouldn't budge on it, that's an issue. I would be highly disappointed if that's the case, especially if better value could have potentially been found elsewhere. Rammers has improved as the season has gone on despite us still losing games, but I still don't think there are many fans who will feel that the deal was a great one for us.

If the board vote against that transfer for that one goalkeeper target we had (again, allegedly), we're then up shits creek without a...well, a goalkeeper. The board aren't going to vote against something if it means it will fuck us, but they'll wonder how they got into that position in the first place.

Didn't Prince say the manager has the final say but wants like 5 targets for a certain position. With wilder he wanted 1 man and no one else. I think Prince and VW involved will help us

James seemingly having a little dig at some local journalists who were more balanced in their coverage of Wilders exit. Surprised he suggests they’re in some way supportive of the Blessin rather than critical as they want to keep links with the club, that’s quite a step to question their credibility when The Athletic and The Examiner have certainly had better more balanced coverage of what has happened so far than The Star.

He's basically just nicked Ballsups posts from this forum!!

He's basically just nicked Ballsups posts from this forum!!
It's a public forum so it's public information. If he has, or even got an idea to look into it from here, then that's him just doing his job for me.
The bit I took issue with was him commenting on the integrity of other journalists who cover Sheffield Untied just because they've kept up better relationships with the club.

Some local journalists such as Biggs was happy to put out a hatchet job from an absolute nobody to attack the club and board in the same week he went on national radio to moan that they don't talk to him. Biggs was playing to what he thought at the time was the gallery on Twitter, feeding those baying for blood when actually the general mood was already moving in away from that.

Didn't Prince say the manager has the final say but wants like 5 targets for a certain position. With wilder he wanted 1 man and no one else. I think Prince and VW involved will help us

I’m not sure Chris just wanted one target for one position and that was it. We were widely reported to be in on Robinson for example, before we got Lowe. Likewise the lad who went to Villa and Calum Wilson, and ultimately we got Brewster.

To be clear, I’m not resistant to JVW being involved. I’m resistant to the Prince overstepping his role as an owner. Hence the reference to ‘and’.

The more I read about Blessin the more I like.......would be peak Blades though if we couldn't get him due to a work permit issue.....:rolleyes:

I think (hope) all that the board/owners want to happen is for there to be some flexibility, openness and better communication regarding targets moving forward. If it's true, for example, that we needed a goalkeeper and Wilder only came back with Ramsdale as a name and wouldn't budge on it, that's an issue. I would be highly disappointed if that's the case, especially if better value could have potentially been found elsewhere. Rammers has improved as the season has gone on despite us still losing games, but I still don't think there are many fans who will feel that the deal was a great one for us.

If the board vote against that transfer for that one goalkeeper target we had (again, allegedly), we're then up shits creek without a...well, a goalkeeper. The board aren't going to vote against something if it means it will fuck us, but they'll wonder how they got into that position in the first place.
I don't get why Verrips didn't get more of a chance. He came highly rated. He's been seen as the springboard for Emmen's uptick in form. Panos didn't get any game time either. It does seem that Chris was happy to entertain JVW's input to a point but then didn't miss an opportunity to reenforce who was in charge by hardly playing them.

Is that an outrageous interpretation or is there some truth in it, when you look at players we brought from oversees? Berge the exception given his profile.

I don't get why Verrips didn't get more of a chance. He came highly rated. He's been seen as the springboard for Emmen's uptick in form. Panos didn't get any game time either. It does seem that Chris was happy to entertain JVW's input to a point but then didn't miss an opportunity to reenforce who was in charge by hardly playing them.

Is that an outrageous interpretation or is there some truth in it, when you look at players we brought from oversees? Berge the exception given his profile.

I think I read on here that Verrips had some derogatory nickname amongst the players for being fairly crap.

I think I read on here that Verrips had some derogatory nickname amongst the players for being fairly crap.

He cannot possibly be any worse than Wes fucking Foderingham. Surely.

Talentwise in the goalkeeping department, I think it goes...

1) Ramsdale
2) Eastwood
3) Verrips
4) Jagielka
5) Foderingham

I’m not sure Chris just wanted one target for one position and that was it. We were widely reported to be in on Robinson for example, before we got Lowe. Likewise the lad who went to Villa and Calum Wilson, and ultimately we got Brewster.

To be clear, I’m not resistant to JVW being involved. I’m resistant to the Prince overstepping his role as an owner. Hence the reference to ‘and’.

That's the tough question really, isn't it. At what point does the owner (who funds everything) step in and say "player X" is not worth the money, I won't pay it.

Don't know why.

He's gone to a team who had conceded 49 goals in 20 matches and gained 6 points. Since his arrival they have taken 12 points from 8 matches and only conceded 8 goals with a +2 GD. That's a pretty impressive return.

If we hire a foreign coach I can see him getting games. If Rammers has a strong finish it will be difficult to keep him despite his rocky start.

On his current form he could attract 20-25m. What Champ team turns that down for their keeper?

He cannot possibly be any worse than Wes fucking Foderingham. Surely.

Talentwise in the goalkeeping department, I think it goes...

1) Ramsdale
2) Eastwood
3) Verrips
4) Jagielka
5) Foderingham
You missed Captain Blade in a number 4. I've seen him at half time against the kids and he's worthy of the place.

Think it was our dearly departed friend Chabuddy G, who suggested that Verrips' nickname was "No Hands". Even if it's accurate he's almost certainly better than League One Wes (who's probably taking £500k+ pa from us)

If Rammers has a strong finish it will be difficult to keep him despite his rocky start.

Behaaaave. He'd still have three years left on his contract, there's no pressure to sell and he was relatively overpriced in the first place. The deal would command a ridiculous fee.

You missed Captain Blade in a number 4. I've seen him at half time against the kids and he's worthy of the place.

Marcus Dewhurst right up there imho
Gone through the same England Age Group gears as Henderson & Ramsdale

Reyt, the definitive list...

1) Rammers
2) Eastwood
3) Dewhurst
4) Captain Blade
5) Verrips
6) Jagielka
7) Foderingham

Everybody happy?

Marcus Dewhurst right up there imho
Gone through the same England Age Group gears as Henderson & Ramsdale
Which also makes Wilder's decision to spend 40% of the summer transfer budget on 22 year old Aaron Ramsdale rather than a Ben Foster type even more puzzling...unless the business hope is that Ramsdale will go on to become a £30m target for the top clubs.

Think it was our dearly departed friend Chabuddy G, who suggested that Verrips' nickname was "No Hands". Even if it's accurate he's almost certainly better than League One Wes (who's probably taking £500k+ pa from us)

Not sure I get all the Fodders hate. It's a bit like when City buy Scott Carson or Richard Wright. We needed a 3rd choice, English, GK. We're a Premier league outfit now, I don't think we get too much sympathy for having a spotty 16 year old in goal, or could get an emergency loan like lower league clubs can.

It's expensive insurance, but then again, when is insurance ever cheap?

Back
Top Bottom