Aldi Utd

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

petcharlie

Reaction score
Why do clubs who are interested in buying our players think because it's Sheff Utd we will sell cheap. We have clubs lining up with 10 mill wanting to by our Norwegian mid fielder including Liverpool. Celtic expecting to buy our right back for 6 million and the Gunners thinking they can get our England goalie for about 18 million . Can only think Liverpool have short memories .Not so long ago they thought Brewster was a 23 Mill player well all you reds if thats true then our guy is worth 50 mill .pay up or f--k off

Why do clubs who are interested in buying our players think because it's Sheff Utd we will sell cheap. We have clubs lining up with 10 mill wanting to by our Norwegian mid fielder including Liverpool. Celtic expecting to buy our right back for 6 million and the Gunners thinking they can get our England goalie for about 18 million . Can only think Liverpool have short memories .Not so long ago they thought Brewster was a 23 Mill player well all you reds if thats true then our guy is worth 50 mill .pay up or f--k off
The legacy of Kevin McCabe

Well said.. But I feel that horse bolted the stable when a certain "blade" who was self admittedly the "biggest one" got chizzled out of the club..

Our Prince.. Lol.. Is nobody's fool about what something is worth.. (in pub.. 4th edit, this landlord is lovely - Timothy Taylor.. Not the actual landlord)

Last post. For today methinks..

Well said.. But I feel that horse bolted the stable when a certain "blade" who was self admittedly the "biggest one" got chizzled out of the club..

Our Prince.. Lol.. Is nobody's fool about what something is worth.. (in pub.. 4th edit, this landlord is lovely - Timothy Taylor.. Not the actual landlord)

Last post. For today methinks..
Didn’t know you could play the bugle !

Because we just came down with a owner without billions of pounds.
We're in a different pond to the like of Arsenal, Liverpool and Celtic and never will eat their table. There are lots of other clubs better off than us and that's unlikely to change ever. That said we're much better off than the majority. It is what it is.

It's all paper talk/ rumours. But there may be something in it.
For example I believe that united are holding out for say 30m+ for Berge.
However we might need to sell to help finances with coming down. (We may not have to as well but I suspect something inbetween may be true)
So we may end up having to settle for 24m or something.
Clubs may be trying to just check how easy we are to lower the fee.

But I don't reckon we've actually had anything concrete in bids yet for these players. But I do think Berge will go, which is a shame because he could have the opportunity to become very much a part of our system in this division and hopefully be set and comfortable in it should we be promoted.
Before his injury he was the better of the midfield performers, he's not really been able to play in a settled well performing side too often.

Celtic expecting to buy our right back for 6 million
Really? Given that he cost next to nothing and, at £6m, he would have been our most valuable player pre Premiership, I wouldn't baulk at that.

Really? Given that he cost next to nothing and, at £6m, he would have been our most valuable player pre Premiership, I wouldn't baulk at that.

Really? I'm this day and age £6m for a consistent player who has just played in the Premier League for the last 2 seasons and done a fine job is absolute peanuts.

Put it another way, if Utd were looking to bring Baldock in from a Championship team and he had been their outstanding defender/wing back do you think we would get him for that price? I know Matty Cash is younger but he was sold for £15m by Forest and he had never been in the PL by that point. £6m for Baldock would be a ridiculously low figure imo, and the argument about Utd getting for a pittance (so it's good business if we sell for £5.5m profit) is pure Macabism. It matters not what we paid for him, its what his value to us is as of now. If my house was valued at £400k now I wouldn't say to the Missus 'so you know what love, we only paid £120k for it a few years ago so if we sell it for £300k now we cant quibble...'. I think she would tell me to fuck off and quite rightly so.

We're in a different pond to the like of Arsenal, Liverpool and Celtic and never will eat their table. There are lots of other clubs better off than us and that's unlikely to change ever. That said we're much better off than the majority. It is what it is.
Celtic are certainly not in that "pond". I would think every premiership club has a higher income than any Scottish club.

Even if we need to sell, do we need to sell right now? Is a season in the Championship going to harm the figures that much if we wait until the end of the season rather than the beginning?

It's great to bring young players through who go on to play for their country,
All we need now is to build a club they want to stay with..... 👍

Really? I'm this day and age £6m for a consistent player who has just played in the Premier League for the last 2 seasons and done a fine job is absolute peanuts.

Put it another way, if Utd were looking to bring Baldock in from a Championship team and he had been their outstanding defender/wing back do you think we would get him for that price? I know Matty Cash is younger but he was sold for £15m by Forest and he had never been in the PL by that point. £6m for Baldock would be a ridiculously low figure imo, and the argument about Utd getting for a pittance (so it's good business if we sell for £5.5m profit) is pure Macabism. It matters not what we paid for him, its what his value to us is as of now. If my house was valued at £400k now I wouldn't say to the Missus 'so you know what love, we only paid £120k for it a few years ago so if we sell it for £300k now we cant quibble...'. I think she would tell me to fuck off and quite rightly so.

What a fantastic brainwashing job our previous Chaimen and directors have done on some of our fans.

We want a good player from the Championship and we're quoted £25 - £30 million

However, one of our better players over two Premier League seasons and nobody can even begin to contemplate anything over £5 - £6 million

Celtic are certainly not in that "pond". I would think every premiership club has a higher income than any Scottish club.

Celtic are certainly not in that pond, and I'm a big Celtic fan

They have huge support, huge support worldwide not just in Scotland and Ireland, they are an extremely marketable club in the right circumstances, but whilst playing in the Scottish Leagues they cannot compete financially.

Celtic are certainly not in that pond, and I'm a big Celtic fan

They have huge support, huge support worldwide not just in Scotland and Ireland, they are an extremely marketable club in the right circumstances, but whilst playing in the Scottish Leagues they cannot compete financially.
That is my point, Celtic and Rangers are massive clubs with huge support but relatively low income when compared to Premiership clubs.
I think it was Martin O'Neil who once commented on Leicester have greater wealth than Celtic (pre Leicester winning the Premiership).

That is my point, Celtic and Rangers are massive clubs with huge support but relatively low income when compared to Premiership clubs.
I think it was Martin O'Neil who once commented on Leicester have greater wealth than Celtic (pre Leicester winning the Premiership).

Absolutely
The money in the Premier League has increased massively and decreased in Scotland

Martin O'Neil left Leicester for Celtic when the finances were a little more even. Henri Larsson, Chris Sutton, John Hartson and many more didn't see it as a step down at the time.

Nowadays, Brendan Rogers leaves Celtic for Leicester,
Celtics players leave for Southampton or Brighton or any other Premier League team now that the finances are so heavily in favour of English clubs.

What a fantastic brainwashing job our previous Chaimen and directors have done on some of our fans.

We want a good player from the Championship and we're quoted £25 - £30 million

However, one of our better players over two Premier League seasons and nobody can even begin to contemplate anything over £5 - £6 million
Agree, theres a definite disconnect between value or worth, ability, situation, desire to sell etc

If we dont have to or don't want to sell, our asking price can be whatever we want. We'd set this at a level where we believe we are better off with the funds compared to the player.

Pricing when needing to sell vs pricing to keep are completely different.
Baldock puts in a transfer request or is nearing end of his contract and we openly need his wages off the books, maybe £5-6m could be about right.
Assuming we dont need to sell and Baldock is content at the lane, we could set our price easily at £15-20m.

Same principle applies to Berge, same applies to Ramsdale, same applies to any transfer.

This sort of thread is why I prefer to just laugh at Wednesday "on line"

Its people talking shit and getting irate about things they know little about and have no control over
Why do it?

Excellent post .

Sometimes I don’t know whether to laugh or cry when I see posters on here decrying McCabe’s history of selling cheap (quite rightly so) but then going on to say that they would be quite happy to sell the likes of Baldock and Egan “ If the price is right “, a price which I’ve seen set as low as £15 mill for the pair . WTF !!?

In my view , if we sell either of these excellent defenders it will have a significant impact on our chances of promotion next year and if we were to sell both it would be catastrophic . No matter how much we got for them , as a Championship club paying Championship wages , we would certainly not be able to replace them with players of the same level of ability and experience .

Last edited:
Excellent post .

Sometimes I don’t know whether to laugh or cry when I see posters on here decrying McCabe’s history of selling cheap (quite rightly so) but then going on to say that they would be quite happy to sell the likes of Baldock and Egan “ If the price is right “, a price which I’ve seen set as low as £15 mill for the pair . WTF !!?

In my view , if we sell either of these excellent defenders it will have a significant impact on our chances of promotion next year and if we were to sell both it would be catastrophic . No matter how much we got for them , as a Championship club paying Championship wages , we would certainly not be able to replace them with players of the same level of ability and experience .
To quote the great man himself: there's a lot of PlayStation managers out there.

Those advocating moving Baldock on because we have Bogle? Really? Watching the two last season was watching man V boy. Bogle showed flashes of decent play but he never put in a full 90, was never defensively solid and (bit like much of our squad) couldn't put in two decent consecutive performance. Baldock on the other hand was at it every game. He may have made errors, but the furious little fecker turned up every game.

And as you rightly say, buying a like for like replacement is £10m+ at the very least.... I got laughed at on another thread for saying we'd want £25m+ for Egan and £15m+ for Baldock. As you rightly say, losing both of them this season would be massive.

Excellent post .

Great post. This is the first time in my living memory we have owners who sell our best players at the first time someone wafts a fiver. If you want our good players, you pay us good money.

It’s fantastic.

I’d rather not eat their table as I would get splinters.

A Global pandemic - lots of clubs don’t have a pot to piss in.

we are insulated a little bit by the tv money we get for the next few years compared to some in the championship but the game is not exactly a wash with money atm.

No point being angry about it. Our revenue is going to decrease by 50-60% compared to last year. We will still owe a tonne of money on berge / ramsdale / Brewster / mcburnie transfers payments I imagine. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise people thinking they can take players off our hands cheaper.

we would do the same to struggling championship and league one clubs.

As with any transfer it depends on the player/ agent as much as anything. If ramsdale and berge make it clear they would like to leave. We arnt going to get top dollar for them and will probably do well to make a small profit / get what we paid back

the Prince isn’t a mega rich owner compared to lots so can’t afford a just absorb a relegation without some cloth cutting. I’m not say we should or he will sell but why offer 30million for our keeper when there’s a chance we accept 15-20m in a months time???

Back
Top Bottom