Alan Woodward

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

51 bus yeah! used to get that down from Lodge Moor to the Lane when staying with my grandparents at the top end of Crimicar Lane.
I used to get it from the stop after Coldwell lane ,my Grandparents lived in the cottage at Claremont. I remember wagging school and going on the 51 ,it was known as the circular before it was Lodge moor to Herdings ,you could have an hour for 2p. I think it was the last route to have double deckers.

He scored from a corner at Filbert St and did the same at the lane at the kop end v Newcastle I think it was.

He also scored direct from a corner in the 2-0 home win against Coventry in Nov 71 (first goal at Lane End) and 2-0 home win against Norwich in Jan 73

That was 20/1/68. We actually lost 3-0. Man City won the league that season. He also missed one v Coventry on 13/11/71 (though he did score 2 to win us the game 2-0).

Off the top of my head, I think Peter Duffield, Mitch Ward and Nick Blackman are the only players who took more than 3 pens and never missed one.
Also missed pen in home game against Sunderland in 1965-66 season and missed a twice taken pen against West Ham in March 1973 (I am in the Leagueliner train pic in the programme for that match along with Ted Hemsley). Hammers keeper Bobby Ferguson stopped the first attempt diving to his left, the ref ordered a retake (cant remember why) so Woody went for power in his 2nd attempt and it hit the keeper's legs and the ball richoted at least 20 feet in the air

Cheers Dazzler, was it 1-0 when he missed the pen against MC? I know it was fairly crucial (i.e. not at 3-0 down with 5 to play).

From what I remember from reading the Green Un report at the Library archives about 12 years ago. We were losing 1-0 and our new signing Paddy Buckley made a great run to the penalty box before being brought down and the ref awarded us a penalty

Woody was my all time Blades hero, saw him get sent off at Oldham I even wrote to the Football League with regard to the Referee in that game I dont know why I thought they would take any notice lol.
He scored some brilliant long range goals and was an all round better player than Lorimer, I can remember 2 long range shots at Derby he scored, top class strikes but we lost 3-2 but didnt we always lose at the Baseball Ground> I remember him scoring in the 6-1 away win at Cardiff, what a good day that was as well as being a goal scoring winger his assist tally must have been good the amnount of goals he laid on for his team mates.
Woody an absolute Blades LEGEND

Double deckers are now back on the 51 route. Passengers now can gawp in at me sat in me pants :)

Surely the windows aren't that low? I'm worried Sitters might be a bus gricer!:eek:

I didn't come across them until my Transport Course at Newcastle Poly. If you think train spotters are eccentric then wow the bus fraternity are clearly cerebrally challenged.

Woody was my all time Blades hero, saw him get sent off at Oldham I even wrote to the Football League with regard to the Referee in that game I dont know why I thought they would take any notice lol.
He scored some brilliant long range goals and was an all round better player than Lorimer, I can remember 2 long range shots at Derby he scored, top class strikes but we lost 3-2 but didnt we always lose at the Baseball Ground> I remember him scoring in the 6-1 away win at Cardiff, what a good day that was as well as being a goal scoring winger his assist tally must have been good the amnount of goals he laid on for his team mates.
Woody an absolute Blades LEGEND

I'l like to see a statue of him at BDTBL, any takers?

He also scored direct from a corner in the 2-0 home win against Coventry in Nov 71 (first goal at Lane End) and 2-0 home win against Norwich in Jan 73
Yes he did. I remember the Coventry game, I was stood at the front right behind the corner flag as he took it.
I also think a goal came direct from a corner against Stoke City a few weeks earlier. We lost 2-3 but I think the goal was for Stoke.

I think in the Norwich match the other goal was scored by Flynn. Whoever it was, if they hadn't got a touch Woody would have had 2 direct from a corner that day. Kevin Keelan was their keeper and he used to stand well off his line. He got booked and should have been sent off for punching one of our players when he lost his cool after being done direct from a corner for the second time in the game.

Footage of Woody's corner against Leicester is on YouTube. Best bit is Shilton wandering round his area afterwards looking bemused. Back in the day people used to rave about Peter Lorimer & Alan Hinton having the hardest shot, but I reckon Woody had them both beaten. Why he never played for England is a mystery to me.

Let's get a petition up

When the next round of statues is being planned, Woody must be at the front of the queue.

I never saw Hagan but did see pretty much the whole span of Woody's career. For me, he has to be our greatest post-war player.

Third highest Blades appearances of all time (beaten only by Hodgy and Joe Shaw), 2nd highest goal scorer of all time (behind Harry Johnson junior, and no one on here will have seen him play)

And yes I believe he has a higher standing than TC [TC 60% of his appearances and 1/3rd of his goals]

My favourite moves of his were flying down the wing cutting inside and curling it into the top corner with his left foot. He did it countless times. And the corner routine of dropping the ball on the edge of the box for TC to volley home.

A modest man but with an absolutely huge talent

Woody was my favourite player when I first stated watching United. I was at the Burnley game when he got sent off and it started a near riot. One Blade I seem to remember got on the pitch and almost got to McNally (who was the Trevor Kettle of his day) before a player pulled him away.

Woody was my favourite player when I first stated watching United. I was at the Burnley game when he got sent off and it started a near riot. One Blade I seem to remember got on the pitch and almost got to McNally (who was the Trevor Kettle of his day) before a player pulled him away.

Alan Woody, Woody, Woody, Woody, Woodward
On the wing, on the wing
On the wing, on the wing
Alan, Alan Woodward, Alan Woodward on the wing

Remember that one guys?

On the wing, on the wing
On the wing, on the wing

Remember that one guys?

Great song and I know it doesn't matter but is it not:

We’ve got Alan Alan Alan Alan Woodward on the wing

rather than

Alan Woody, Woody, Woody, Woody, Woodward on the wing

Oh to have someone of his quality again..............

We do have somewhere in the Fox archives a Shoot page of Woodys direct corners. I'll see if we can locate and put on here.

I do remember bumping into Woody on a number of times on my drunk walk back home from the Roundhouse on Heeley Green when he was living on Myrtle Road across from the Ball Inn ground.

Awesome player!

He used to drink in that boozer on Derbyshire Lane a lot

pommpey

I think in the Norwich match the other goal was scored by Flynn. Whoever it was, if they hadn't got a touch Woody would have had 2 direct from a corner that day. Kevin Keelan was their keeper and he used to stand well off his line. He got booked and should have been sent off for punching one of our players when he lost his cool after being done direct from a corner for the second time in the game.
I think Dearden got the 1st goal, for the 2nd goal Woody's corner swung inside the far post, Keelan and Flynn both challenged for the ball but both missed and Keelan ran towards the ref protesting that Flynn had obstructed him

Paul Heaton has just been on Fantasy Football with his Bladesbest 11. Woodward was one. Hodgkinson, Jags kenworthy, Walker, Stan the man, Tony Curry, Brian Deane, Keith Edwards,Sabella

Footage of Woody's corner against Leicester is on YouTube. Best bit is Shilton wandering round his area afterwards looking bemused. Back in the day people used to rave about Peter Lorimer & Alan Hinton having the hardest shot, but I reckon Woody had them both beaten. Why he never played for England is a mystery to me.
Woody has a good record against Shilton. In Boxing Day 1970 we were leading with an own goal by David Nish, not long before half time, we had a free kick outside the penalty box at the Kop end. While waiting for the free kick to be taken, a firework exploded in the Kop, the quick thinking Woody curled the ball over the defensive wall into the net and Shilton stood motionless rooted to his spot. He scored again against him in the Leicester match you mentioned. In Dec 72 he beat Shilton with a penalty in the 2-0 home win. If you have the YTV video of the Blades goals you can see another penalty, this time in Oct 73, by Woody against Shilts. It was a powerful penalty to Shilton's left even though the keeper dived the right way as if he was expecting it. In the John Harris testimonial match against Notts Forest in Oct 77 (lost 6-1), Woody scored again against Shilts, this time with a powerful ground shot from the corner of the penalty area after a corner was headed away

Yes he did. I remember the Coventry game, I was stood at the front right behind the corner flag as he took it.
I also think a goal came direct from a corner against Stoke City a few weeks earlier. We lost 2-3 but I think the goal was for Stoke.
The scorers for Stoke were John Ritchie, Dennis Smith and Terry Conroy (who looked well offside)

He used to drink in that boozer on Derbyshire Lane a lot

pommpey

Yep, it was the Mount.

Here's me (beige 'Galen' Jumper - yeah, I know!) with the great man himself. He'd just presented me my season medal at the Sheffield and District Sunday League Awards. I was fucking awestruck!

Also seen (if anyone knows them) l-r, Mark Platts, Pete Hird, (me), God Himself, Paul Eastwood, some-other-gagder

380985_2632060566613_1904312537_n.jpg

Loved Shoot ,it was educational ,I would never have know what Miscellaneous likes and dislikes meant .I could spell Miscellaneous at the age of 10 ,bet there arent many 10 year olds now who could :)
I used to read Shoot all the time - however all my mates had their heads buried in the popular girly magazine of the time 'Jackie' - haha

Great song and I know it doesn't matter but is it not:

We’ve got Alan Alan Alan Alan Woodward on the wing

rather than

Alan Woody, Woody, Woody, Woody, Woodward on the wing

Oh to have someone of his quality again..............

It was actually,

We've got Alan Woodward on the wing, on the wing
We've got Alan Woodward on the wing, on the wing

Alan, Alan Woodward, Alan Woodward on the wi-ing

Eye theng you!

;)

Back
Top Bottom