CONFIRMED Aaron Ramsdale sold to Arsenal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dont accept Rammers wernt in the loop when Arsenal came a knocking and to say everything was in place until Rammers said he wasnt happy with being 2nd choice.
All that would have been sorted first as there was no point in doing a deal if Rammers didnt accept being on the bench to push Arsenals 1st choice.
Just totally illogical to push on with negotiations when Rammers wasnt accepting a bench roll .
It's not really in the know ! I my opinion.!!!
That last sentence somehow went wrong!
It should have read !!
ITK 's not really in the know !!

a) What replacement keeper did you have in mind, and how much would he cost?
b) If he is worse than Ramsdale, how many points do you think he would cost us over the course of the season?
c) Given that mediocre players like Carl Cort were going for £7m over 20 years ago, which players did you have in mind which would "vastly improve the squad" that are affordable for £25m minus your answer to question a, and would said improvement counteract the lost points you've calculated in question b?

This sort of post is unbelievable. Just because we've got a history of selling players for cents on the dollar doesn't mean that other clubs are

Hey jt64 ,

I think the dropoff between a goalkeeper like Ramsdale (£25m) and a solid Championship keeper (£5-8m) would be be relatively neglible at this level, particularly when our aim is to have a lot of the ball and concede far fewer chances. I think a lot of Ramsdale's value is tied into his nationality, age & potential.
Given our immediate objective is promotion, maybe sacrificing some of those factors for a more experienced goalkeeper that is of a similar(ish) standard isn't such a bad idea...

Importantly his sale would free up some additional sums to bring in competition at centre half and midfield. I think addressing our squad imbalance is more important than having a high-potential goalkeeper.

We know Jack Robinson isn't likely to be good enough over the course of a 50 game season and Oli Norwood & John Fleck need a rocket. They've either lost their way completely and are beyond saviour (I kind of doubt that), or (more likely) have become complacent. Either way, something needs to change in there as they seem to be treading water. No running, no bite, no creativity.

I'm not for one second imagining that selling Ramsdale is the panacea and that all of the sudden we're going to spray a load of money about.
However, the new manager is in desperate need of additions to mould his squad around a certain style of play. The blocker on this, seemingly, is raising the finances.

Offloading Ramsdale would seem the most painless route to achieving what SJ needs... you obviously think differently. But I wouldn't call either view "unbelievable."

*edit - the only other option is selling Berge. We just can't afford to do that. You can't come close to replacing him at this level and the standard of our midfield at the moment is already appalling. They struggled without him all of last season & we've also now lost Lundstram. Not a great player, granted, but an experienced option that we haven't replaced.

Last edited:
By all accounts, he allegedly is gutted it isn't happening.
Come on Captain, at least try to keep your bias in check. By one account from a random Arsenal centred tweeter. I get you don’t rate him and are waiting to pounce on any mistake, but that one is really scraping in order to stick a knife in.

Arsenal Twitter is doing sterling work spinning the latest rejection. Ramsdale being "gutted" came from a Sun reporter (obviously at the forefront of honest reporting) and they're just running with it. Ramsdale's an Arsenal fan now apparently.

Hang on........he supports arsenal now? A proud lad from the potteries who has done plenty of media saying how he supports West Brom but has a great affection for us and who’s dream it was to be our number one now supports arsenal? I’m sure he’d be made up to be arsenals number one if the opportunity arose because of the history and prestige that goes with it. But supports arsenal get in the sea.

Hey jt64 ,

I think the dropoff between a goalkeeper like Ramsdale (£25m) and a solid Championship keeper (£5-8m) would be be relatively neglible at this level, particularly when our aim is to have a lot of the ball and concede far fewer chances. I think a lot of Ramsdale's value is tied into his nationality, age & potential.
Given our immediate objective is promotion, maybe sacrificing some of those factors for a more experienced goalkeeper that is of a similar(ish) standard isn't such a bad idea...

Importantly his sale would free up some additional sums to bring in competition at centre half and midfield. I think addressing our squad imbalance is more important than having a high-potential goalkeeper.

We know Jack Robinson isn't likely to be good enough over the course of a 50 game season and Oli Norwood & John Fleck need a rocket. They've either lost their way completely and are beyond saviour (I kind of doubt that), or (more likely) have become complacent. Either way, something needs to change in there as they seem to be treading water. No running, no bite, no creativity.

I'm not for one second imagining that selling Ramsdale is the panacea and that all of the sudden we're going to spray a load of money about.
However, the new manager is in desperate need of additions to mould his squad around a certain style of play. The blocker on this, seemingly, is raising the finances.

Offloading Ramsdale would seem the most painless route to achieving what SJ needs... you obviously think differently. But I wouldn't call either view "unbelievable."

*edit - the only other option is selling Berge. We just can't afford to do that. You can't come close to replacing him at this level and the standard of our midfield at the moment is already appalling. They struggled without him all of last season & we've also now lost Lundstram. Not a great player, granted, but an experienced option that we haven't replaced.
Captain, I think you are being very diplomatic here. Let's face it Rammers is a very average goalkeeper and to get anywhere near the money being talked about we should have snatched their hand off.

Arsenal do have a touch of the Massive about them.

They have a lot in common including a catastrophic recruitment strategy of late. Some of their decisions including signing and extending Ozil, signing Sideshow Bob from Chelsea and selling Martinez only to require another GK the following year is haphazard at best.

Come on Captain, at least try to keep your bias in check. By one account from a random Arsenal centred tweeter. I get you don’t rate him and are waiting to pounce on any mistake, but that one is really scraping in order to stick a knife in.

I did qualify it was an "allegedly" in fairness.

Had no idea Tom Barclay was Arsenal centric, I thought he was a Telegraph journalist.
Having said that, I believe Pete O'Rourke amongst others have said very similar so presume the noise is coming from his camp.

I wouldn't blame him either. Arsenal on £60k a week. Living in London as a young wealthy lad. Hooking back up with a few of your England teammates.

There's barely even a decision to be made.

I did qualify it was an "allegedly" in fairness.

Had no idea Tom Barclay was Arsenal centric, I thought he was a Telegraph journalist.
Having said that, I believe Pete O'Rourke amongst others have said very similar so presume the noise is coming from his camp.

I wouldn't blame him either. Arsenal on £60k a week. Living in London as a young wealthy lad. Hooking back up with a few of your England teammates.

There's barely even a decision to be made.
The noise isn't coming from Ramsdale's camp, it's solely coming from Arsenal's pet journalists.

The Top Six media machine is in full flow since the mighty Arse were told to do one by those Northern monkeys in dark and dirty, whippet loving Sheffield.

Arse having spent over 12 months looking at a young lad whose ambition it is to move to metropolitan that there London and the bright lights are dumfounded that this little insignificant football club could stop young Ramsdale achieving his dream. The mighty Arse are prepared to pay £20 million which is way beyond what little Northern clubs should be paid. Only if you live down sarf and in Brighton do you get paid fortunes beyond your wildest dreams for players called White.

So what next for the mighty Arse. The worldwide masses of gooners especially those in outer mongolia are outraged that generous Arse were prepared to pay more than £10 million for a novice who has two years EPL experience and been in the England Euro 2020 squad.

Lets leak to one of our Southern based friends in the media that young gooner Rammers is gutted. We know he must be even though he hasn't told us. Who wouldn't want to take splinters out of their Arse, pardon the pun, for 12 months earning a vast fortune. To appease our masses we'll add that he only wants to come to us and he turned down a number of other EPL Clubs. Well Football London did say Burnley and Watford were interested two months ago. He only wants to come to a top six club. Yes the mighty Arse are top 6 even though we're not in Europe and finished 9th last year.

The strategy seems to be working the media has picked up on gooner Toms article. The mood of our masses has changed it wasn't they didn't like him it was just they were angry those little people up in Sheffield were trying to rob the mighty Arse. He's not a bad lad he should be given his chance to play for the Club he supported as a boy. He doesn't want to play for anyone else. Even the SUFC fans have bought into it and believe he's desperate to come. Tell that difficult chap in Jordan will give them £10 million on 31 August provided they issue a public apology for wasting the mighty Arse's time.

Arsenal Twitter is doing sterling work spinning the latest rejection. Ramsdale being "gutted" came from a Sun reporter (obviously at the forefront of honest reporting) and they're just running with it. Ramsdale's an Arsenal fan now apparently.

Load of ollacks that is,I suppose they have interviewed Rammers to come to that conclusion.
Just made up rubbish !!!!

Hey jt64 ,

I agree with all of that except for Berge. From a financial and practical point of view I think we need to sell him. 1 to recoup the money spent in the PL as it looks like other than Ramsdale we have no other saleable assets that will generate enough money to overhaul the squad. 2. Berge in my opinion is a good player but not exceptional and the money could be spent in getting more balanced midfield.

I agree with all of that except for Berge. From a financial and practical point of view I think we need to sell him. 1 to recoup the money spent in the PL as it looks like other than Ramsdale we have no other saleable assets that will generate enough money to overhaul the squad. 2. Berge in my opinion is a good player but not exceptional and the money could be spent in getting more balanced midfield.
It’s all relative. Berge absolutely is exceptional in the Championship

Arsenal do have a touch of the Massive about them.

They are the 3rd biggest club in English football (behind Man Utd and Liverpool), so that should explain their superiority complex.
Agree though that the club have shown little ambition for years….Chelsea are more ambitious.

In defence of the biased London jounalists surely any player would prefer to play for Arsenal in the PL compared to Sheff Utd in the Championship.
Ramsdale may not be gutted but surely he’ll be disappointed…..but is professional enough to move on and have confidence in his ability.
He’s still very young, so If he’s good enough…he’ll get his chance.

It’s all relative. Berge absolutely is exceptional in the Championship

Exactly. There is a temptation for some people to view the Championship as almost a different sport where you can only get on if you are a 'Championship player' no matter what level you have been at before.

He's 23 so not a kid, played numerous times for his country and in the Champions League. It might take a couple of games to get up to speed on the physical side but he should be the first name on the team sheet. Ultimately quality footballers will win you games of football.

I Guarantee Berge, 90% of the time is unplayable in this league. Far above this level.

Could be right. The Birmingham match demonstrated Berge’s ability perfectly.

1st half he was almost stood next to Norwood playing as defensive midfielder…played very safe side ways passes….no threat.
2nd half he pushed more forward. There was still no one in space to pass the ball to, so Berge just burst forward with the ball and proved to be our main weapon.

Could be right. The Birmingham match demonstrated Berge’s ability perfectly.

1st half he was almost stood next to Norwood playing as defensive midfielder…played very safe side ways passes….no threat.
2nd half he pushed more forward. There was still no one in space to pass the ball to, so Berge just burst forward with the ball and proved to be our main weapon.
This is pretty much on the money for me.

Ramsdale inherent value comes from age, nationality and potential. He's obviously a very good keeper, but I'd wager a few teams staunchly wouldn't do a straight swap with their keeper (WBA, QPR, Fulham? Forest?). There are comparable players of a similar ability in the league, probably non with a higher ceiling though.

Berge is a different kettle of fish, second half against Birmingham he was unplayable and most likely the standout player in the whole division. He got 3 or 4 players booked as they literally had to hack him down to stop him.

Crucially, if we use him right and utilise his attacking prowess he is a huge asset - and will win us games of football.

I'd love to see him play a sort of No.10/AMC hybrid role, breaking the lines and running at centrebacks he could be devastating.

Arsenal fans are so precious they even need to be pre-primed incase Ødegaards transfer fails

Fwiw, I'm aware Romano is one of the better ones.

Well ..... on reflection I'm delighted that for the first time in my living memory, an SUFC Board have refused to be bullied, have refused to back down from our valuation of our player and have flipped the finger to one of the "entitled big boys" of the PL.

If you want to buy one of our players ....... pay good money or fuck off, is the correct message. It's what everyone else tells us !! :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP

It is about the club and not the player. It is all about the bigger picture. Risk & reward. Selling the right player, at the right time for the right amount of money.

If we keep both Ramsdale & Berge, then we've nailed our colours to the mast regarding the seriousness of our promotion campaign. If we go up then we've made the right decision and both players can play important roles in the PL.

However, if in December we are well off the pace or don't go up in May, then both players will probably go for a fair bit less than we've been offered now. Both will have had a full season of wages, and both will go on to better things. They'll be ok, we'll have made the wrong choice.

So now as I understand it, we've got a gutted player who's missed out on a dream transfer and will probably never wear an England tracky again, while the club hasn't got the money to buy new players to add to a squad who's pulse stopped six months ago.

It's really not good
Only at this club will the board be criticised for both selling and not selling players…

Only at this club will the board be criticised for both selling and not selling players…
Spittin facts there Caseh, fair comment. Feel we need a cash injection and the guy who's between the sticks is not going to determine our success.

Back
Top Bottom