CONFIRMED Aaron Ramsdale returns to the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So you’d rather sign some random Turkish goalkeeper instead of a young English GK who was brought through our academy who’s a proven premier league goalkeeper

I don’t get it
Playing Devil's advocate: Ramsdale isn't proven Premier League class as he was relegated in his first and only season at that level.

So you’d rather sign some random Turkish goalkeeper instead of a young English GK who was brought through our academy who’s a proven premier league goalkeeper

I don’t get it

I'd rather sign the full international keeper with European experience.

Not really bothered that he came through our academy, I don't think it should matter.

There's always an extra charge for buying English too, it's just not good value.

Not sure why we are willing to pay so much money for a keeper who has only 76 senior appearances to his name %50 of which are at league one (Wimbledon who finished 20th) and League two (Chesterfield who finished 24th) Level. Fucking crazy, there are much better options abroad.

Some incredibly basic scouting you’re doing there. I’ve got plenty of mates who are Wimbledon fans and they all loved him and reckoned he was the main reason they stayed up.

Don’t really understand why people are turning on Ramsdale for anything more then £12 million. Ex England youth international, only 22, just voted player of the season for his club in his first season in the Premier League. It’s not his fault Bournemouth went down. Christ, Man City are signing Ake for £41 million! Someone had better tell Pep that he played in the defence of a relegated team eh.

Some incredibly basic scouting you’re doing there. I’ve got plenty of mates who are Wimbledon fans and they all loved him and reckoned he was the main reason they stayed up.

Don’t really understand why people are turning on Ramsdale for anything more then £12 million. Ex England youth international, only 22, just voted player of the season for his club in his first season in the Premier League. It’s not his fault Bournemouth went down. Christ, Man City are signing Ake for £41 million! Someone had better tell Pep that he played in the defence of a relegated team eh.

It doesn’t change the fact that City have paid way over the odds for Ake but clearly they can afford to do that, we already know we can’t.

Playing Devil's advocate: Ramsdale isn't proven Premier League class as he was relegated in his first and only season at that level.
Same thing with Wijnaldum at Newcastle but Liverpool ended up buying him and look how that turned out for them.

Got to admit Ramsdale wouldn't be my choice but if he is indeed CW's choice then he will get my support every time he puts on the shirt.

Not quite sure what people expect if we aren't getting Hendo back as any other attainable keeper playing in this country already would be a downgrade. That is a fact. The only unknown is Cakir. He could turn out to be even better than Hendo or he might turnout to be just another really highly rated foreign player who doesn't settle or perform. We just don't know and £20m is an expensive punt into the unknown.

Ramsdale has just played an entire season for a premier league team and got the POTY award for them. Even at £15m we know exactly what we are getting and, although a downgrade, he's a decent enough keeper and would be playing behind an excellent defence, which he wasn't at Bournemouth.

He is pretty much at the same level Pickford was after a good season at Sunderland and he went for £30m.

Fair few on this post saying he's shit and we souldn't sign him without actually giving suitable, attainable alternatives.

Also those mentioning how much Ake has just cost. He's only cost that much as it was City. They quite happily pay over the odds to get the deal done quickly as they can't be arsed going backwards and forwards haggling over a few million.

The point I’m making is that the logic of “played in goal for a relegated team, can’t be good” is ridiculously basic.
I didn't say he wasn't good. I just said you couldn't automatically assume he was Premier League class just because he's played there.

Simon Moore is currently our first choice keeper. Is he Premier League class? He issued for the 9th best side in the country last season.

100% yes. Get him in. He's quality.

Yes, Deano has made some incredible saves and is a brilliant keeper (and we should do whatever it takes/costs to get him), but he had our brick wall in front of him and made the saves when he absolutely had to. He's also had a few howlers and let in a few soft goals too.

I'm confident that Ramsdale can excel with a solid and confident defence in front of him, and he has the right character which is hugely important in a CW squad

Because he’s young and English and is a proven quality premier league goalkeeper based on last season

I agree with Young and English, but I have to respectfully disagree with the proven quality element. In regards to incredibly basic scouting I have posted my view on the quality of a number of goalkeepers based on advanced goalkeeping statistics numerous times in the forum.

To add balance statistically Ramsdale is not someone who stands out as a top ten goalkeeper. Ranked 13th best in the premier league with a PSxG of 0.1 which is impressive, however, means the 62 goals he did conceded were effectively uncontested. Henderson’s +4.6, stopped what should have been goals.

Taking into account the stat that sky sports keep mumbling on about (3rd most saves) it’s true that being in a relegated side you will have undoubtedly faced more shots, therefore, you would expect a goalkeeper to have been forced to make more saves (or at least have opportunity) his actual save percentage in the premier league 0.678 is ranked 15th. Similar to that of Matthew Ryan.

His 40 yard or more pass completion stat 30.4 is actually slightly better than Henderson’s 29.5 however this ranks him as 18th best in the premier league.

I’m not attacking the character, attitude or heart of the lad, he’s got the talent and work rate plus he’s a blade, but I’m not going to blindly accept a fee that a potentially financially challenged club is going to pluck out of the air for a player who has limited experience, it does no good for the club or the young lad.

To add politely, that fact it was stated “some incredibly basic scouting” followed by my mates at Wimbledon said they loved him and reckoned he kept them up is a ridiculous comment. UTB! Wilder will sort it.

I agree with Young and English, but I have to respectfully disagree with the proven quality element. In regards to incredibly basic scouting I have posted my view on the quality of a number of goalkeepers based on advanced goalkeeping statistics numerous times in the forum.

To add balance statistically Ramsdale is not someone who stands out as a top ten goalkeeper. Ranked 13th best in the premier league with a PSxG of 0.1 which is impressive, however, means the 62 goals he did conceded were effectively uncontested. Henderson’s +4.6, stopped what should have been goals.

Taking into account the stat that sky sports keep mumbling on about (3rd most saves) it’s true that being in a relegated side you will have undoubtedly faced more shots, therefore, you would expect a goalkeeper to have been forced to make more saves (or at least have opportunity) his actual save percentage in the premier league 0.678 is ranked 15th. Similar to that of Matthew Ryan.

His 40 yard or more pass completion stat 30.4 is actually slightly better than Henderson’s 29.5 however this ranks him as 18th best in the premier league.

I’m not attacking the character, attitude or heart of the lad, he’s got the talent and work rate plus he’s a blade, but I’m not going to blindly accept a fee that a potentially financially challenged club is going to pluck out of the air for a player who has limited experience, it does no good for the club or the young lad.

To add politely, that fact it was stated “some incredibly basic scouting” followed by my mates at Wimbledon said they loved him and reckoned he kept them up is a ridiculous comment. UTB! Wilder will sort it.

Fair play for going into more detail. Got to be honest a stat like PSxG means absolutely nothing to me but I can’t fault you for having research to back up your points. Maybe it’ll mean more to others. FWIW, I didn’t say “my mates reckon he did well, scouting report done”. You were implying his spell wasn’t all that by referencing their league position. So I was responding to that. But you knew that...

I find it very difficult judging the quality of Goalkeepers at other clubs, but clearly 90% of the views on this situation are completely ignorant.

People have watched Ramsdale this season because he's played in the Prem, getting peppered every game. People have watched a 3min highlights reel of Cakir and think he is quality.

Who has seen a compilation of Cakir's mistakes?

I find it very difficult judging the quality of Goalkeepers at other clubs, but clearly 90% of the views on this situation are completely ignorant.

People have watched Ramsdale this season because he's played in the Prem, getting peppered every game. People have watched a 3min highlights reel of Cakir and think he is quality.

Who has seen a compilation of Cakir's mistakes?

I see what you mean, but to look at it the other way, we know Ramsdale isn't up to snuff currently, and we can hope that Cakir is.

I see what you mean, but to look at it the other way, we know Ramsdale isn't up to snuff currently, and we can hope that Cakir is.
Based on what is ramsdale not good enough :tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

Depends what counts as up to snuff. I think Hendo is clearly better, but seeing as that isn't happening I think I would take Ramsdale if he played like he did last season. We are going to have to accept a downgrade of some sort.

Based on shots going through him like he has crisps for hands all of last season. He'd represent a huge downgrade on Henderson.

Ive not seem many shots of him having popadom hands ?

They adore him at muff, so I think that should be a good pointer rather than the highlights we see when they ship a hatful.

I'd offer them 8 million (net the sell on we have in place) and write off the Brooks sell on too.

Done. Sack Bettis, give me the job.

They adore him at muff, so I think that should be a good pointer rather than the highlights we see when they ship a hatful.

I'd offer them 8 million (net the sell on we have in place) and write off the Brooks sell on too.

Done. Sack Bettis, give me the job.
Accepted he was a boy when he left how many detractors have followed his career or seen him play in the flesh?.
I have and I bet theres some other contributors who have.He was outstanding for us and as I have posted before ! The best prospect in my time as a blade and that is going on 70 years.Ive seen em all and hes the best and that includes Tom Mcallister in my opinion of course .
Wilder obviously rates him or he wouldnt be willing to buy him back.

There’s no denying, whoever is in between the sticks next season they have huge, HUGE boots to fill and will potentially be a downgrade on Henderson, even if we spend 25m.

You could argue we never really replaced Alan Kelly until this kid came along. Granted Paddy was decent.

I trust Wilder to make the right decision for this football club.

A bit more from SSN

19:05

BLADES' RAMSDALE BID REJECTED
Bournemouth
have rejected a bid in excess of £12m from Sheffield United for goalkeeper and Player of the Year Aaron Ramsdale.
The former England U21 international joined Bournemouth from the Blades three years ago for £1m and was the club’s stand-out performer despite their relegation to the Championship.
The news suggests that England keeper Dean Henderson’s stay in South Yorkshire is at an end after two successful loan spells at Bramall Lane.
Henderson is presently in negotiations over a new contract at Old Trafford but was expected to re-join Chris Wilder’s side in time for the new season.
Bournemouth believe Ramsdale is at a similar stage in his career to Jordan Pickford when he joined Everton in 2017 for an initial £25m.
Meanwhile tonight’s developments will spark a frenzy of activity from clubs keen to take Henderson on loan.

18:54

BREAKING NEWS
Bournemouth reject bid in excess of £12million from Sheffield United for goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale.
I’m not sure it would be sensible to use the fee Everton paid for Pickford as a benchmark. Yes they are both young, English and have potential. However, based on his recent performances, Everton would be lucky to get back 50-75% of what they paid, in my opinion . In my mind, Pickford is a classic warning of the pitfalls of investing too much in potential, quite often it doesn’t materialise.

He's 22 and already a first choice at a Premier League Club. He's come through our youth system so knows us and we know him well. He's only likely to improve. I'd say it's a no-brainer. Worth £20 million if you can sign him up on a 5-year deal.

We don't have the money, but if we did, I'd take Ramsdale and loan him back if Hendo or the Turkish guy is a possibility. I think a full season, even at Championship level would be good for him and then next season we can bring him back in, however for that exact reason I wouldn't be paying over £15 million for him as we can wait.
He's very young for a keeper, just 22, so he'll not be losing anything by playing 46 games for them and if they don't get up, he'll be cheaper next year.

He's 22 and already a first choice at a Premier League Club. He's come through our youth system so knows us and we know him well. He's only likely to improve. I'd say it's a no-brainer. Worth £20 million if you can sign him up on a 5-year deal.
Bang on Bro 👊

I find all this Ramsdale v Turkish dude a bit like football managers in that most are wanting the young foreign keeper (trendy) that they know very little about that the rock solid English keeper (Untrendy)

well give me CW any day and therefore give me Ramsdale!!

Back
Top Bottom