A reminder to the board bashers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So you’re saying Tony Bloom being worth over a billion matters :eek::eek::eek:
Who’d have thought it eh, given the thousands of kids and pensioners buying season tickets at about £100 a time! :)

Four McCabes?

What gravy train and who is it giving too?

Three of them have never been paid and I don't know about the fourth one. Do they keep him/her in a locked attic and just let them out for board meetings?
Don’t let the facts spoil a good story here....

I wouldn't be surprised if we did similar business this summer to the last 2 windows. I'd be genuinely shocked if we spent any thing over net £2m. Not making any negative points about the owners, if there's no money then there's no money.

Chances are we'll struggle to find players who perform as well as the players have done this year - transfer market is a minefield. Fingers crossed we can cobble something together to keep us competitive in the top half of the table

OP reminds me of this Milligan gem:

1450af28b013ed6c1addecce1b27f51e.jpg

The board could ask why our recruitment and development of young attacking players who can shoot has been so poor in recent years then do something about it. Instead they do nowt but watch as it goes on year after year with unhealthy priorities elsewhere.

Our attacking line up up front yesterday was embarrassingly old and inept and if we have no good young uns coming through who can help fill a situation like that we are in a poor state and some at the club should take responsibility for it and act.
We sold the best one to Everton

Let's not join those who are deluded about attendances. A lot of money has been poured into Brighton, but their average attendances recently are bigger than ours. They've had more success than us recently, and actually they have quite a large fanbase. Before they lost their (crumbling) old ground, and a period of decline when they played at the Withdean athletic track, they got healthy attendances. They also appear to have a long term plan, which we never seem to have.

a) Spending big money does not guarantee success or even improvement.

Putting aside the recent experiences of our dear cousins from across the city, there have been innumerable examples of this in my many years of watching the game, starting with Sunderland in the 1950's.

b) The board do not pick the team, nor do they decide on the formation or the tactics . The manager does that.

This is quite an ironic post on the weekend big spending Wolves have won the Championship title. More money = sign better players = inprovment.

Dont forget our neighbours made the playoffs two out of the last three seasons. Yes, they didnt do it, but they were really in the mix. Without tuna man's money, I doubt this would have happened.

Dont forget our neighbours made the playoffs two out of the last three seasons. Yes, they didnt do it, but they were really in the mix. Without tuna man's money, I doubt this would have happened.

Sounds like a great business plan.

Get someone to spend loads of money on your behalf and fail.

So has tuna man made an 'investment' or taken a 'gamble' and probably lost.

He has spent some 40/50 million on the team, if they had got into the Prem. would he make that 40/50 million back in PROFIT ?

Sheffield United have had a myopic way of doing business since the 1930’s, they were willing to sell Hagan to Wednesday for fucks sake. I don’t mean to sound dramatic but it’s like a malignant tumour that has run through the club ever since. Passed down from board to board. Four McCabes on the board at one time? The United gravy train keeps on giving. We have the best manager in a generation in charge. If you fuck this one up please, please just fuck off because my hopes and dreams are disappearing like your ambition.

Before my time but we've never recovered from Birchinall and Jones

So how come Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Brighton who are hardly what we’d class as ‘big’ clubs can get wealthy backers, but we can’t?

Is what we should be asking then.

Cos we are in Sheffield, home of the superb pint, chip butty and SUFC........the billionaires want to be nearer London or Manc.

It's not rocket science, we need a bent agent of international players on the books....Wolves above board, my arse

I like Joe’s posts usually and he seems like a sensible and decent chap. But he’s really showing a disturbing level of naivety with this one.

No one is saying we should be spending daft money, but to try and justify the Board’s under investment in this club, this season, when we have had the best chance for a decade to get back to the top flight, is ridiculous. And to draw comparisons with the 1950’s and Sunderland (nicknamed “The Bank of England” during that period because of their reckless spending) is plain daft.

The world has moved on Joe. The gap has never been wider between the haves and have nots in this game. This season was a chance to join the haves again. And the Board, like you, have failed to see that opportunity.

I’m afraid that you and seemingly many other Blades, and our Board, are not ambitious enough.

It’s about timing. When the cards are falling your way, as they have done this season, you need to speculate a little bit more and push on to give yourself the best chance of success.

We haven’t done that.

Imagine if the Board had sanctioned a move like the loan of Mitrovic from Newcastle on loan. We’d be top 2 now.

That’s what we are talking about. Not stupid signings like £15 m on one player, but backing sound signings like the Mitrovic one to get us over the line.

The Board have sold Wilder short at the time of our best opportunity in years.

Wilder must have some funds to build as he is threatening to move players on ( Sheffield star ) who are happy to be in the cha.pionship.He said when he took over he wouldn't show compassion (weakness )to
any players who had reached there summit looks like he meant it with them comments

I like Joe’s posts usually and he seems like a sensible and decent chap. But he’s really showing a disturbing level of naivety with this one.

No one is saying we should be spending daft money, but to try and justify the Board’s under investment in this club, this season, when we have had the best chance for a decade to get back to the top flight, is ridiculous. And to draw comparisons with the 1950’s and Sunderland (nicknamed “The Bank of England” during that period because of their reckless spending) is plain daft.

The world has moved on Joe. The gap has never been wider between the haves and have nots in this game. This season was a chance to join the haves again. And the Board, like you, have failed to see that opportunity.

I’m afraid that you and seemingly many other Blades, and our Board, are not ambitious enough.

It’s about timing. When the cards are falling your way, as they have done this season, you need to speculate a little bit more and push on to give yourself the best chance of success.

We haven’t done that.

Imagine if the Board had sanctioned a move like the loan of Mitrovic from Newcastle on loan. We’d be top 2 now.

That’s what we are talking about. Not stupid signings like £15 m on one player, but backing sound signings like the Mitrovic one to get us over the line.

Where is the money coming from? It's easy to type "shouda couda wouda" etc etc incessantly whilst ignoring the bleeding obvious that the funds aren't there. Banks don't lend to speculative football clubs anymore so it comes from the owners pockets. Whatever wealth they have isn't in a cupboard in a teapot hidden behind the Frosties or even in a bank account.

Not one person has ever answered that one question other than with "they should sell up then". Which is no help whatsoever.

We haven’t done that.

And in general, I am a big admirer of yours but on this issue I'm not convinced that it is me who is being naive.

Like many others on here, you seem to be making the assumption that CW has gone to the board asking for funds to buy better players than the ones he has signed and that they have turned him down. So far as I am aware, there is absolutely no evidence to this effect and, indeed, there is ample evidence to suggest that he prefers to sign players who have shown ability at lower league clubs and get even more out of them as he has done spectacularly with the likes of Duffy, Fleck and Leon. - hence the famous " no prizes for spunking moneh " speech .

As for the Mitrovic scenario and with the benefit of hindsight, every club in the top dozen could say exactly the same thing but again, there is absolutely no indication that CW ever had this in his mind, let alone asked the board for permission to pursue it and was rejected.

In any event, lack of scoring goals has not been our biggest failing this season but rather the number we have conceded which, as I pointed out elsewhere, is the highest in the top eleven teams.

If that could be resolved simply by spending a couple of million, then I'd be all for it but I believe the problem lies more in the way we set up rather than the players we have available.

All about opinions.

An average gate of 30,391 versus 26,776. Saying that their biggest crowd this season was 30,634, ours was 31,120. So there, take that Brighton! ;)
Yeh but they pay real munneh to get in - we pay cheapo admission prices ! (Rich South trumps poor North)

We haven’t done that.

Anyone could see the big decision thrown into focus the second that Coutts leg was broken.
And knowing the Blades decision-making for 50 years , right from the sale of Mick Jones & Alan Birchenall , I instantly got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Because right there & then I knew our biggest chance in ages depended on replacing him whilst we were still top of the league (or as soon as the rules allowed).
And I knew they'd never speculate to accumulate , so we were doomed that very night.
And so in January we pulled in some average Joes , instead of the one of quality we needed.
And that sickening feeling has never shifted.
My clueless Club owners , why do I love your Club so ?
The hope kills me continuously , in a kind of lifelong death-throe.

It will be a miracle if Wilder stays , because if he feels anything like he sounds on the radio , he is quite possibly as sick of this Club's inertia as I am.
And he has to go and work for the clueless fuckers !

Spending no money in comparison to the league does guarantee a relegation battle. Ask Burton and Barnsley (although they spent more than us).[/QUOTE
As has been proven this season, your quite clearly talking out of your arse. Examples?

Premier league......Burnley
Championship......Us, Millwall
League 1........Shrewsbury
League 2.......Accrington Stanley

Does spending more money give you a better chance? In all probability, Yes
Does it guarantee anything? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
And in general, I am a big admirer of yours but on this issue I'm not convinced that it is me who is being naive.

Like many others on here, you seem to be making the assumption that CW has gone to the board asking for funds to buy better players than the ones he has signed and that they have turned him down. So far as I am aware, there is absolutely no evidence to this effect and, indeed, there is ample evidence to suggest that he prefers to sign players who have shown ability at lower league clubs and get even more out of them as he has done spectacularly with the likes of Duffy, Fleck and Leon. - hence the famous " no prizes for spunking moneh " speech .

As for the Mitrovic scenario and with the benefit of hindsight, every club in the top dozen could say exactly the same thing but again, there is absolutely no indication that CW ever had this in his mind, let alone asked the board for permission to pursue it and was rejected.

In any event, lack of scoring goals has not been our biggest failing this season but rather the number we have conceded which, as I pointed out elsewhere, is the highest in the top eleven teams.

If that could be resolved simply by spending a couple of million, then I'd be all for it but I believe the problem lies more in the way we set up rather than the players we have available.

All about opinions.

You raise an interesting point there about Wilders willingness to move for such players.

The most disturbing words I heard from Wilder were when he first was appointed and announced that there would be no more big spending on players! I wondered which club he was referring to as I’d not noticed us spending big money on players? Not since the purchase of Beattie at least. And we all know how that ended.

I’ve also heard him since saying he’ll work with what he’s given. But he’s also said he’d love the opportunity to be able to spend the kind of money some other clubs have at their disposal.

So, is he “content” then to not spend on the type of players, like a Mitrovic, or a Cairney? Or would he really love to go for such players but is not allowed to?

The signings he made in Jan haven’t worked out very well imo. I’d rather us have spent that money on one or two quality players. But, I think he’s working with very tight purse strings and I do put the blame on the Board for this. Because these are business strategy decisions that need to be taken for the benefit of the club.

Ok so finances are tight - but believe me, funds can be raised to finance the purchase of players, IF, the Board are willing to. The fact is, they haven’t.

As to whether Wilder is happy with that? Well...I think we’ll find out in time but I strongly suspect he isn’t, and, if it continues to be the case I think he’ll go elsewhere where he can have a better opportunity of success at the highest level.

Then we’ll have our answer.

As has been proven this season, your quite clearly talking out of your arse. Examples?

Premier league......Burnley
Championship......Us, Millwall
League 1........Shrewsbury
League 2.......Accrington Stanley

Does spending more money give you a better chance? In all probability, Yes
Does it guarantee anything? Absolutely not.

You’ve given 5 examples out of 92. Roughly 6%.

I’d hardly say he’s talking out of his arse.

You’ve given 5 examples out of 92. Roughly 6%.

I’d hardly say he’s talking out of his arse.
“She” said it guaranteed a relegation battle. I’ve just proved her wrong on multiple occasions(and they were off the top of my head) It guarantees nothing, just like throwing stupid money at it doesn’t guarantee promotion or even being in the melting pot (Arsenal? Leeds? Us in league 1?)
I think we all recognise the need for an improved budget for Wilder to work with but those asking for silly money that quite simply isn’t there just aren’t on this planet.

All about opinions.
I agree Joe , Wilder will not make waves over his budget .,like all managers he probably like more tha .he gets .Don't beleave he's looking at expensive signings at this stage as it would unbalance the structure as it stands,that's one for the future .
The way we set up does as you say make us vulnerable to counter attacking teams .Wilder and Knill will be looking at that for next season,but don't beleave they will change the fundermental of playing on the front foot,it's a matter of bringing in better players to fit the positions whether through the academy or players in.
If he feels some of the present squad have reached there summit then he will move them on no sentimentality in football if you want to be successful.
Going to be another interesting window as we have to bring players into the squad to improve our weaknesses,we all know what they are.Staying within the budget he's been given.He we have funds whether the ownership problem is solved or not,as all managers say stand still and you go backwoods in a footballing sense.
Chris I'm sure will be here next season as is mission is in its early stages.
To tell players who have given it there best shot ,you arnt good enough must be tough .must be one of the hardest things a manager has to do.Much better to tell them face to face rather than send them to Coventry (as Collins was )

You raise an interesting point there about Wilders willingness to move for such players.

The most disturbing words I heard from Wilder were when he first was appointed and announced that there would be no more big spending on players! I wondered which club he was referring to as I’d not noticed us spending big money on players? Not since the purchase of Beattie at least. And we all know how that ended.

I’ve also heard him since saying he’ll work with what he’s given. But he’s also said he’d love the opportunity to be able to spend the kind of money some other clubs have at their disposal.

So, is he “content” then to not spend on the type of players, like a Mitrovic, or a Cairney? Or would he really love to go for such players but is not allowed to?

The signings he made in Jan haven’t worked out very well imo. I’d rather us have spent that money on one or two quality players. But, I think he’s working with very tight purse strings and I do put the blame on the Board for this. Because these are business strategy decisions that need to be taken for the benefit of the club.

Ok so finances are tight - but believe me, funds can be raised to finance the purchase of players, IF, the Board are willing to. The fact is, they haven’t.

As to whether Wilder is happy with that? Well...I think we’ll find out in time but I strongly suspect he isn’t, and, if it continues to be the case I think he’ll go elsewhere where he can have a better opportunity of success at the highest level.

Then we’ll have our answer.

Where could they raise the money from?

Back
Top Bottom