60 years ago this month...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

October 1st, 1960: Utd 2-1 Lincoln City

In front of another poor attendance of just over 14,000, United continued their winning run and strengthened their position as league leaders. Again, I do not have the programme, but the report in the scrapbook gives a good account of a dominant performance against a team that rarely seemed to cause us problems.
View attachment 93695T
The caption to the photo of Derek Hawksworth mentions that one other Lincoln player that day was an ex-Blade. A little research reveals that he was Jeff Smith, a player who played just one league game for United, in one of Joe Mercer’s eccentric experiments, when he decided to play 2 full-backs instead of wingers, at Liverpool of all places. The 5-1 defeat cannot have come as a surprise:
View attachment 93698
Bert used to occasionally call in at The Crown Inn, Potter Hill on the Wortley Rd as his Uncle drank there. Jeff Smith was and still is the landlord, Bert had many a chat with him.
Last heard, he only open Saturday nights.

Bert used to occasionally call in at The Crown Inn, Potter Hill on the Wortley Rd as his Uncle drank there. Jeff Smith was and still is the landlord, Bert had many a chat with him.
If anyone goes in the Crown Inn, it would be great to ask him about his appearance at Liverpool. It appears he was effective as a Lincoln player, and the match report says that Simpson was unusually quiet against Lincoln, which suggests he had a good game.
Can he still be landlord? He is 85 years old.

The caption to the photo of Derek Hawksworth mentions that one other Lincoln player that day was an ex-Blade. A little research reveals that he was Jeff Smith, a player who played just one league game for United, in one of Joe Mercer’s eccentric experiments, when he decided to play 2 full-backs instead of wingers, at Liverpool of all places. The 5-1 defeat cannot have come as a surprise:
View attachment 93698
1601586337173.png

If anyone goes in the Crown Inn, it would be great to ask him about his appearance at Liverpool. It appears he was effective as a Lincoln player, and the match report says that Simpson was unusually quiet against Lincoln, which suggests he had a good game.
Can he still be landlord? He is 85 years old.
It was about 3 months ago when Bert read that he was still there and only opening Saturdays.

The pub and adjoining farm once belonged to Bert's great grandfather along with a lot of other property in that locality.

6 or 7 years ago me and Mrs.Joe arranged to meet up with her brother and wife at the Crown Inn on the basis that it was roughly half way between our homes .

When we walked in it felt like having gone back in time 50 years . The brother-in-law offered to get the first round and started with his own order , a bottle of Budweiser .

The old bloke serving us , who I now assume to be Jeff , looked up at him and said “ Are tha kiddin’ mi ? Wi dunt sell muck like that in ‘ere .” :)

An opportunity to show off the amount of time spent watching United. The programme below has appeared earlier in this thread, related to a specific topic:
E6E7C507-9D48-4773-AE2C-E5A5D238C6B1.jpegI
It is impressive how many of these lads made a career in football. Badger, Mallender and Tony Wagstaffe all were regulars in the Utd first team. Brian Arblaster, evacuated from London to north Derbyshire in the war, stayed in the area, worked as a miner, and played for several years for Chesterfield and Barnsley. Jack Parks played for Halifax, after 2 first-team Utd appearances, and a shed-load if goals for the Juniors and Reserves. Mick Ash played 3 times for Utd, and then for Scunthorpe, 2 clubs in USA, and apparently, Boca Juniors and River Plate. (See post 161) I am not sure about Mountain, Clarke, Twigg and Lee, though Clarke and Lee appear in the squad photo below:
I BABED0AE-62AB-4F8C-A683-F615C25A879B.jpeg

October 8, 1960: United 2-0 Scunthorpe

Another day, another win. This comfortable victory in horrible conditions (Heap’s cartoon refers to ‘Bramall Lane marshes’ - how different from Desso) was the 6th successive win, and the league table after the match made good reading:
766F6EBE-3D44-4F3D-9011-1A2CC2910E13.jpegAnd the same is true of the match report, describing a high-tempo, all-action direct approach to cope with the terrible conditions. 2 excellent goals from Ron Simpson were no more than Utd deserved:
5017EA7D-42DE-4A0D-A8E3-4506BE241821.jpegWhat was again concerning was the low crowd of 14160. The programme from the next home game thanked those who turned out on an awful day, but it is clear that the Board was concerned that crowds were not increasing:
87033C31-9C3F-4E7E-A080-7C83822F4CE2.jpegT
The other point of interest from the notes is the comparison of Simpson’s powerful shooting with Fred Tunstall. He scored many memorable goals with his power and accuracy, and created quite a few with left-wing crosses; you had to accept that he didn’t tackle or head the ball, or track back.
I end on a personal note. That match was on my Dad’s 47th birthday. His father was a Blade, and we have now reached the generation of my Dad’s great-grandkids being Blades. In these days of empty grounds, it is worth remembering the importance of events like football in providing the shared experiences with family which can be so rewarding. May they soon return. My dad’s first game was the record win v Cardiff, and his last was the relegation match v Walsall. But he never wavered in his love of sport, football, United, and family. And in case you think I am turning him into a saint (he was a lovely, generous man), one of the things that will have amused me and my brother is that twice in the Scunthorpe match ( each time Utd scored), he will have sneaked a celebratory Minto from his pocket for himself, as we were occupied cheering the goal. I can only think that he was protecting our teeth!

It was about 3 months ago when Bert read that he was still there and only opening Saturdays.

The pub and adjoining farm once belonged to Bert's great grandfather along with a lot of other property in that locality.
Your 2nd rate, piss poor, Jacob Rees - Mogg impressions do my cake in.

October 11, 1960: League Cup, Round 2

The first ever League Cup competition, and we came in at the 2nd Round stage with an away match at Bury. In front of a decent crowd (11,551), United started the competition brilliantly, with a goal from Nibloe after 1 minute. Unfortunately, and some might add, as is the way with United, it has been downhill all the way since (with a couple of exceptions in the last 20 years). We lost 3-1, with goals from Holden, Hubbard and Jackson. As United won every league match in October 1960, this defeat was probably no bad thing. I honestly don’t remember the game taking place, did not go, don’t have the programme, and there is nothing in the scrapbook, so I think I can claim to have been ahead of my time in not being enthused by this new-fangled competition. But, being a glory-hunter, I did later go to the first leg of the Final at Millmoor, between Rotherham and Villa. Going to matches was so much less complicated then...
It is also the case that Bury away was a more tricky fixture than we might now think. United were top of League 2, but Bury were top of League 3, and went on to win it. And when they had been relegated to League 3 in 1957, it was the first time in their history that they had been in the 3rd tier of football, and it only took them 4 seasons to get back up. How times have changed.
The 3 goal scorers were no mean players. Johnny Hubbard was South African, had a good career at Rangers, where he became the first African player to play and score in a European Cup match, and then went on to be a favourite at Bury. Allan Jackson was leading scorer with 24 goals that season. And Bill Holden was an old-fashioned centre-forward, prolific with Burnley, went to Sunderland (known at the time as the Bank of England club) for big money, where the weight of expectation appeared to affect him, and returned to Lancashire with Bury, where he started scoring goals again. They had decent players.
So United had just 4 days to get over defeat before a trip to Ipswich and a top- of- the-table clash. I was playing school football that morning, so had to settle for a game I could get to by train for 3 o’clock; the match I saw opened my eyes to a standard of football that took my breath away. Details next week.

Just been alerted to this relating back to that January'59 spell...

Im not sure they knew at the time those clips were taken our paths would cross just a couple of weeks later either which makes it a funny coincidence.

Just been alerted to this relating back to that January'59 spell...

Im not sure they knew at the time those clips were taken our paths would cross just a couple of weeks later either which makes it a funny coincidence.

Thanks for that. The conditions for the Palace game have stayed vividly in my mind. The good old days, eh? Freezing outside, and no central heating... (cue Monty Python sketch).

October 15, 1960: Ipswich 0-1 United
(Attendance 19,513)
Is there such a thing as momentum in football? No answer is ever definitive, but this result at Ipswich supports the notion that winning (or losing) can become a habit. In a match against the team second in the league, we scored an early goal, held on to the lead, and so made it 7 league wins in succession. These were not spectacular wins, but solid team performances by the same group of players, who had formed a formidable unit. The review of the game in the following week’s programme describes it thus:
7953C7C6-0220-4974-859B-41E171D5787D.jpeg7953C7C6-0220-4974-859B-41E171D5787D.jpegThis was the first goal United had ever scored at Ipswich, and gave us a healthy lead at the top:
6452DEA7-27FC-4535-9B2B-7D7BCAA7E33F.jpeg6452DEA7-27FC-4535-9B2B-7D7BCAA7E33F.jpegThe defence had conceded just 10 goals in 14 games, and the back 6 played a role as important as the back 6 in 2018-19. Very different players and different roles, but if you print the team below with Coldwell and Graham Shaw in front of the half-backs, it gives a sense of how important the back units were in 1960-61 and 2018-19:
19B8A6E1-9A1F-4EE4-B1D1-CFDFF28FDD9F.jpeg19B8A6E1-9A1F-4EE4-B1D1-CFDFF28FDD9F.jpegThe Ipswich team, managed by Alf Ramsey, were also a strong unit, shown by the fact that they did go on to win promotion, and then followed this by immediately winning League 1. If there is one respect in which football was better than it is now, it is surely this: a club winning promotion to the top tier did not need to settle for avoiding relegation the following season, but could expect to compete as equals in the league. Some clubs were bigger and wealthier than others, of course, but the differences were such that they could be bridged, and that is surely healthier than what we have with the Premier League in 2020.
One remarkable fact about the Ipswich team that day is that they fielded 5 players (Bailey, Carberry, Elsworthy, Phillips, Leadbetter) who won League winners medals with the same club in Leagues 3, 2 and 1, a feat only ever achieved by 1 other player in history - Andy King at Leicester.

3 further random details. Ray Crawford is remembered fondly in these parts as the Colchester player who scored 2 goals v Leeds for Colchester, in a famous Cup giant-killing. Ted Phillips was tested in a dead-ball kicking trial against the likes of Lorimer and Bobby Charlton, and declared to have the hardest shot in English football. And Leadbetter was an inside-left played in a withdrawn left-sided position, and Alf Ramsay describes him as a key figure in the development of the thinking behind England’s ‘wingless wonders’ who won the World Cup in 1966. What Leadbetter, who was Scottish, made of this is not recorded.
As I said in a previous post, I missed the Ipswich match, but my brother went, if I remember correctly with the Supporters Club on one of their weekends away. I never got to go on one of those trips. But I was at a wonderful match elsewhere, and will post details later.

Apologies for double posting of pictures above. On my phone I can’t find an ‘edit’ facility. Has it disappeared, or am I just being thick? All help appreciated.

And Leadbetter was an inside-left played in a withdrawn left-sided position, and Alf Ramsay describes him as a key figure in the development of the thinking behind England’s ‘wingless wonders’ who won the World Cup in 1966. What Leadbetter, who was Scottish, made of this is not recorded.
He looked like Albert Steptoe but I have read that he was a key player in Ipswich League champions season in 1961-62

1602798679574.png

He looked like Albert Steptoe but I have read that he was a key player in Ipswich League champions season in 1961-62

View attachment 95111
Following our famous victory at Newcastle in the 1960-61 season , our next match was at home to Ipswich on the following Tuesday night in what was seen at the time as a crucial promotion battle .

35,000 turned out to see their conquering heroes on a vile night and I was one of them . I remember being a bit apprehensive about the Crawford / Phillips strike force but also being quietly confident that if we could beat Newcastle , we could beat anybody . What could possibly go wrong.......?

The answer was a 3-1 defeat and Leadbetter was the catalyst for that defeat . Even though he was probably the skinniest footballer I’ve ever seen , he was virtually unstoppable that night and I think he was involved in all 3 goals .

Not like the Blades to build up your expectations then let you down ........(although we did get promoted just behind them ) :)

Following our famous victory at Newcastle in the 1960-61 season , our next match was at home to Ipswich on the following Tuesday night in what was seen at the time as a crucial promotion battle .

35,000 turned out to see their conquering heroes on a vile night and I was one of them . I remember being a bit apprehensive about the Crawford / Phillips strike force but also being quietly confident that if we could beat Newcastle , we could beat anybody . What could possibly go wrong.......?

The answer was a 3-1 defeat and Leadbetter was the catalyst for that defeat . Even though he was probably the skinniest footballer I’ve ever seen , he was virtually unstoppable that night and I think he was involved in all 3 goals .

Not like the Blades to build up your expectations then let you down ........(although we did get promoted just behind them ) :)
That’s ruined one of my posts for next year! Actually, in putting together the info about Ipswich away, I looked at the home match you describe, and I can’t remember anything about it at all. All the other games around then I recall quite well. Either it was a long weekend in Newcastle, or I wiped out the trauma of losing a 4-pointer against Ipswich. Either way, I will pinch your post and repeat it next year.
I do generally remember Leadbetter as a player I worried about - deceptively effective.

October 15, 1960: Forest 0-4 Spurs

While my brother was spending the weekend with the Supporters Club on the Suffolk Riviera, I was diving around on the paddy fields of Whitely Woods keeping goal for the Under-14s on the Saturday morning, and then raced up the hill back home, dumped a pile of mud and football kit on the kitchen floor (sorry, mum!), grabbed a sandwich and headed off for the Midland Station to get the train to Nottingham. I was in the ground with a good few minutes to spare, eager to see this unbeaten Spurs side. Bear in mind that before Match of the Day, the most we would see of other teams was a couple of minutes on Pathe News at the cinema, or if they were in the Cup Final. The sense of excitement at being able to see these players live was huge, and if I entered the City Ground with post-Munich ManU as my 2nd favourite team, I left it with Spurs now ‘my other team’. Evidence if any is needed that me and Bert are the 2 gentlemen of impeccable taste on this Forum! My enthusiasm for Spurs was also connected to the fact that they were the only team keeping Wednesday off the top of League 1.
3ECBF514-A95C-439D-8558-579FE9CA1120.jpeg68E171E0-D532-4E26-8DBA-3A706799AC30.jpeg11A913C8-C001-4853-81B6-80160DBA215A.jpegSpurs had appointed Bill Nicholson as manager in 1958, and he was building up a formidable team, apparently by creating a team of the most unexciting surnames: Smith, Jones, Brown, White... Only Blanchflower added a name with a bit of distinction, and the character to match. They had a great mix - Mackay the hard man, White for silky skills, Jones for pace,Smith for power, Blanchflower for intelligence, etc. Within 25 minutes they were 3-0 up, and went on to give an absolute masterclass in team football. And bear in mind that when they completed the League and Cup double in 1961, it was the first time since 1897 that it had been done. The nearest equivalent from recent years I can think of is Leicester winning the PL - even when it was almost complete, you couldn’t believe it would actually happen.
After the match, I had the good luck to be at the station in Nottingham when the Spurs team arrived to catch their train, so got quite a few autographs. And on return to the Midland Station bought a Green ‘Un, which confirmed that Utd had held on to the 1-0 lead at Ipswich shown at half-time on the scoreboard. A perfect day, except that like Spurs, Wednesday had also won 4-0. But I was convinced there wasn’t any danger of them giving Spurs a run for their money. A few weeks later, on a visit to S6 to watch them play Spurs, my complacency was shattered.

October 19, 1960: F.A. XI 2-1 Army
(at Hillsborough)
Another obscure match I went to by travelling to obscure places, though I have to confess that at the time Hillsborough was more impressive than Bramall Lane. These sorts of games were not uncommon, and it is only looking back that you realise what an array of talent played in these games.
F6102B96-10C1-4993-A3A0-0AA0811C3CFB.jpeg295D2C80-1E00-4CB8-AAE5-3B2AE712BA2F.jpeg6AA9156D-00A0-4CFB-AB3F-C43C1506F980.jpeg1BCF005A-9D53-4EB1-BBEC-2DD56922C4F9.jpegI think every player on the pitch had a decent professional career, with the likes of Banks and Moore (both uncapped at the time) going on to become World Cup Winners), Angus had been a regular with Burnley the previous season when they were champions, and John Smith was one of just 17 players who played for Spurs in the Double-winning team of 60-61. Ron Yeats became a Liverpool legend, Alex Young an Everton legend. I would like to add that I predicted all this at the time, but I would be lying. I have only the vaguest recollection of the evening.
A number of the players that evening figured in the remainder of United’s season. Alan Peacock (who made his England debut in the 1962 World Cup finals) played for Middlesbrough against Utd the following week. Brian Labone played for Everton in January in our giant-killing win at Goodison in the Cup 3rd round; Alex Young had already signed for Everton for big money, but missed the game with injury. Chris Crowe (who won one England cap) scored for Blackburn in the 5th round of the Cup, but we hung for a 2-1 win. And Banks played in the 3 semi-finals for Leicester; unfortunately we could not get a goal past him.
Matches such as the FA v Army were clearly friendlies, and quite different from competitive games. But they were an opportunity for youngsters and some good pros to show what they could do, and without substitutions, these games provided better entertainment than some of their modern equivalents.

Oct 22, 1960: Utd 2-1 Brighton

So that was 8 league wins on the trot, and United had opened up a very handy lead at the top of the League. This wasn’t the most convincing win, and again the crowd was low, just over 16000. There had been bad weather at most home games, some of the visiting teams had not been the biggest crowd-pullers, but the low crowds were beginning to be a concern, particularly if some team-strengthening was to be necessary as the season progressed.
I have 2 connected memories of this game. United ‘kicked the wrong way’, and fortunately we went from the Kop to the Lane End at half-time. Only 10 minutes to get round, half-time scores to take, find a decent place to stand, and lo and behold, we were straight away a goal down. But quite quickly we scored one of those goals where time seems to stand still as you know a goal is going in. Pace beat the keeper to a header, the defender blocked the ball, it hit the woodwork, rolled across the line and, I think, actually stopped. At this point the goalie and the defender were both on the floor, and Pace was able to run in and absolutely welly the ball into the empty net from about 2 inches out. But I can’t remember the winning goal.
66EB50B3-3B03-4B9C-A6AA-3CA81DCC91E1.jpegThe team showed a rare change. 9 of the players had played all 14 games, but Graham Shaw was injured in a testimonial match the previous Tuesday at Leeds, and Cliff Mason, a reliable and (as it turns out later in the season) versatile stand-in, took his place, breaking up the legendary back 6 for the first time that season.
50E964C8-C4EA-4034-A184-07125A9B1BA1.jpeg
A few interesting details on some of the Brighton players. Roy Little had played for Man City in the 1955 and 1956 Cup Finals; when Trautmann broke his neck in the 1956 final, Little was about to go in goal, but Trautmann insisted on carrying on. That was the day I began to see Germans as human-beings rather than war-film villains. Bobby McNicol (along with members of his family) died in 1980 in the DanAir plane crash in Tenerife. Steve Burtenshaw went on to be a distinguished coach, and, it is pleasing to report, an unsuccessful manager of Wednesday (1973-75). And Mike Tiddy went from the tiny fishing village of Cadgwith on the Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, to be a crowd-pleasing favourite at Cardiff, Arsenal and Brighton. He returned to Cornwall as sub-postmaster and lay preacher.
I conclude with other results that day. Wednesday at last lost a game, and allowed Spurs to increase their advantage. Champions Burnley won 6-2 at Chelsea, having won 5-3 v ManU the previous week. And Charlton v Middlesbrough ended 6-6, in a season where both games between Charlton and Plymouth ended 6-4. After the 6-6 draw, a certain Brian Clough publicly lambasted the Middlesbrough defence, accusing them (in jest?) of accepting bribes to let in goals. The following week United were at Middlesbrough, where this public row would surely help us get another win?
B14EE452-4A20-40C1-89F0-4F23E19A73BC.jpeg

Attachments

• AE8B3339-FA70-487E-B034-ACDCC9B6C3F7.jpeg
    AE8B3339-FA70-487E-B034-ACDCC9B6C3F7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Bill Hodgson wasnt in the line up?

View attachment 95727
My admiration for your eye for detail has just gone up another notch, though your observation at first convinced me I was going mad. But I have now worked it out. I Was beginning to think Utd must have played with 12 men, but I can now confirm that Hodgson did not play against Brighton that day. United had played Brighton the previous March, and the newspaper must have had pictures from that game in the run-up to the October game. In the scrapbook for the March game there is a picture which in the caption refers to the ‘game last March’, sellotaped in at a later date. I presumably intended to do the same with the Hodgson picture, but then put it on the wrong page, and even changed the keeper’s name from Hollins to Baker. I must have glued it in, and decided to cover up the mistake, without realising that 60 years you would come along and uncover my deception! Guilty as charged, though I honestly have no memory of it. Will you ever believe anything I write again?

A little more detail on the 6-6 draw between Charlton and Middlesbrough on October 22nd. Charlton’s results that season incredibly also included the following:

Charlton 6-4 Plymouth
Charlton 7-4 Portsmouth
Charlton 6-2 Swansea
Brighton 3-5 Charlton
Plymouth 6-4 Charlton
Stoke 5-3 Charlton

Their travelling fans must have hated the 0-0 draw at Scunthorpe!

Oct 29, 1960: Middlesbrough 3-1 Utd

All good things must come to an end, and United’s 8-match winning run in the League finally bit the dust with 2 late goals at Middlesbrough, including one from a certain Brian Clough. They had recovered from conceding a last-minute goal at Charlton in a 6-6 draw the week before, and from Clough’s typically outspoken attack on his team-mates.
I assume it was half-term, as I can’t have been playing football that morning. It was my first trip to Middlesbrough, by train, and I remember that it was one of the trips where we took a plastic football and found some kids in a nearby park to have a pre-match ‘friendly’ against. I don’t remember the score; perhaps Silent Blade can look it up for me...
I was impressed by Ayresome Park. We were behind the goal that Boro attacked in the second half, and the noise particularly when Clough had the ball was impressive. The crowd of almost 23000 was much bigger than United’s crowds at the time, and of course we were used to much of the atmosphere being lost over the cricket pitch at the Lane. I came away impressed with the Boro support, which was quite different to the impression given in recent years at their new stadium.
The teams were as follows:
01385A18-FBD7-493B-989C-A99FE2F2A585.jpegIn addition to the continuing absence of Graham Shaw, the main problem was again in the forward-line, where injuries and questions over form led to 3 changes, including the debut of Barry Hartle. I will add a separate post about him shortly.The problems with the forward-line were later to be addressed in a limited, but ultimately successful way.
The Middlesbrough team had several players of interest, in addition to Clough, who was the focal point of the team. I had totally forgotten that ex-Blade Ronnie Waldock played for them. Was it only a few of us who called him ‘Gutsy’, or was that a general nickname for him? Ray Yeoman played over 200 consecutive games for them, which is quite an achievement. And the captain, Ken Thomson, was later imprisoned for his part in the match-fixing scandal in 1964, along with 3 Wednesday players and, I only now discovered, 1 ex-United player, Jack Fountain. Thomson died of a heart attack, aged 39.
I attach some pages of the programme below. It has an interesting mix, including the fact that United and Wednesday had the best defensive records in the country, having conceded just 11 goals each. That was not the case by the end of the afternoon, as Wednesday beat Bolton 2-0. There are comments on big-spenders Everton, who we were soon to meet in the Cup, a bit of a quiz, and I have a question about the half-time score-board: whatever is the logic behind the order they are in?
9379A7D6-CC7B-470E-B386-5FDF7EA89FA5.jpeg611CDD66-BD10-4DE4-8266-48C10D5FB69D.jpeg81A51E75-AD64-4C21-8955-ACD8BCDA725C.jpeg1E3B6E49-3FF9-4482-B187-202AB240EE15.jpegBC49CE92-CD6B-46CB-9FE3-E239F7531D71.jpeg

Barry Hartle made his league debut at Middlesbrough on October 29, 1960, having signed from Watford in the summer.
86EE11BB-78A1-49A4-BEEB-66FA2685CF3E.jpegDAA93A2D-9239-4354-9A8F-4ABF3CF30F4E.jpegWas it a coincidence that we signed him from Watford, and a few years later we brought in several more players from there in a short period? Was there some sort of link between Utd and Watford? It surprised me to see that he played more than 100 games for United, largely in Division 1. He was a neat player, but I always regarded him as a stand-in rather than a first-teamer, largely because he was skilful, but wasn’t able to impose himself on games sufficiently. My strongest memory of him is one of which I have no record, and I would love it if someone could confirm that it is accurate. On September 15, 1962, United won 2-1 at Villa, with Hartle scoring both goals. I went by train to the game, and met up outside the ground with a lad from school who was related to Dick Wragg, the United director. A few minutes later Joe Shaw came out and gave us 2 tickets for the game; the lad from school lived on Bishopscourt Road - did Joe Shaw live round there? So we got good seats in the main stand, about the edge of the penalty area United attacked in the first half. I was sparing in the use of the rattle given where we were sitting! And the goal I remember involved Sims (a fine goalkeeper), running to the edge of the penalty area bouncing the ball (as the rules required), with Pace (ex-Villa) running beside him. At just the right moment Pace put his foot down where Sims was about to bounce the ball, and the ball hit Pace’s foot and rolled out of the area to Hartle, who chipped the ball beautifully straight back into the goal. Unfortunately the only detail of this match I can find is in Denis Clarebbrough’s ‘The first 100 Years’, with Hodgy saying the match produced the finest goal he has ever seen - Joe Shaw’s headed own goal past him!

Nov 5, 1960: United 3-2 Leeds
Attendance: 17,565

Back to winning ways with a goal from Pace and 2 from Russell. But I am ashamed to say I remember nothing of this game, do not have a copy of the programme, and have nothing in the scrapbook. I am sure I must have been to the game, and there are one or two other games coming up where I have no programme, etc. It perhaps shows how unimportant Leeds were at the time!
The lineups were:
Hodgkinson
Coldwell Mason
Richardson Shaw (J). Summers
Russell Nibloe Pace Hartle Simpson

Grainger Peyton McCole Bremner Francis
Goodwin. Charlton Cameron
Hair Caldwell
Humphreys

Leeds goals were scored by Bobby Cameron(pen) and Gerry Francis.
The programme for the next home match does not mention anything that happened on the pitch, but is still concerned about crowd numbers, commenting on the fact that for the visit of Leeds it was higher than for previous games. Concern about attendances was clearly still high, and I had forgotten how poor they were; although the Leeds attendance was a little higher, it was still lower than the matches we had played at Norwich, Plymouth, Ipswich and Middlesbrough. 5 seasons in League 2 were obviously taking their toll, especially with Wednesday, still in 2nd place in League 1 after a 0-0 draw at ManU, pulling in big crowds at Hillsborough. More of that next week.

The Leeds team of that period was not impressive, though that was about to change following the appointment of Don Revie as manager just before the return match at Elland Road the following spring. 2 key players in that transformation, Jack Charlton and 17-year-old Billy Bremner, played in the match at the Lane. Otherwise, the team was made up of signings who disappointed - for example, former Blade Colin Grainger, whose development was hampered by injuries, and Freddie Goodwin, ex-Busby Babe; some stalwarts, such as fullback Grenville Hair, who in 443 league games for Leeds scored just one goal; and some who did not quite make at the highest level (Humphreys, Peyton, etc.)
There are some interesting stories of their players. Gerry Francis, a South African, was Leeds’ first black player (I would have assumed it was Albert Johanneson). Grenville Hair died at the age of 36, in 1968, when as Bradford’s manager he collapsed following a training session. And John McCole died aged just 46; he scored 53 goals in just 85 games for Leeds, and scored plenty of goals for Bradford before and after his spell at Leeds, but never made it to the top. Freddie Goodwin also played cricket for Lancashire, and was lucky enough to be not in the squad for the ManU match which preceded the Munich air disaster.
Next week United are off to Southampton, a difficult place to go. But I went to Hillsborough, and came home in something of a state of shock...

Back
Top Bottom