40 years ago today that goal by Edwards

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

i have no recollection of this goal despite almost certainly being there! Anyone care to provide a brief description of the goal ( which famous Pele goal, there are lots of contenders). most of Keith’s goals were ‘goal-hanging tap-ins’ so you’d think a Pele-esque goal would stand out.

i have no recollection of this goal despite almost certainly being there! Anyone care to provide a brief description of the goal ( which famous Pele goal, there are lots of contenders). most of Keith’s goals were ‘goal-hanging tap-ins’ so you’d think a Pele-esque goal would stand out.
A long ball down the left wing was going towards the edge of the BR box with Edwards and a BR defender chasing it. The BR goalie also came out. Edwards just got there first, made to.play the ball, but stepped over it and ran round the goalie to the left. Goalie and defender collided as the ball went straight through. Edwards then collected the ball and tapped it into the empty net with a big grin on his face.

I think he dummied the keeper, ran around him and cooly slotted the ball home.

For the other goal he scored he tried to chip the keeper, the keeper got a hand to it but Edwards headed the ball home from the deflection.

Unforgettable for all who were there.
I must have been there but have no recollection of it at all.
The one that does stick in my mind was against Wigan who had Larry Lloyd as their player manager. All week Lloyd had been on about how he'd keep Sir Keith in his pocket during the match. And to be fair, he did. Until a very late corner at the kop end. Keith lost him and banged it in for us to win one nil late on. The Lane went berserk.

My memory is he celebrated before putting the ball into the net :)

That's what I remember too - pretty much stood on the goal line with both hands in the air.

I remember asking my dad why he wasn't offside (I didn't realise that it was when the ball is played).

This coming Saturday is 40 years since the Bob Atkins winner at Millmoor.
What a cracker that was.
Shame these games aren't recorded anywhere, the limbs when the ball hit the net would have been amazing to see, I think everyone in most of the ground ended up about 15 yards away from where they started from.

I think he dummied the keeper, ran around him and cooly slotted the ball home.

For the other goal he scored he tried to chip the keeper, the keeper got a hand to it but Edwards headed the ball home from the deflection.
I thought it was from a quick throw in from John street side,I was sat in line with the edge of the penalty area,I may be mistaken though it was 40 years ago though,funny how time flies……

Edwards walking with the ball with arm in air to the kop big smile on face. Tony Pritchett reported in the star it was his easiest goal of the season 😀😀. Bob Atkins goal wowww after the game walking up that genel singing only one Robert Atkins 😀 and later on that season Kevin Arnotts wonder goal at Southend similar to Maradona goal from half way line If I remember right 😀

Was sat on the back garden for the Arnott one at Southend. No live commentary on the radio of course in those days but with a few minutes left Bob Jackson suddenly started shouting out his name but in the excitement called him Keith Arnott instead.

I’m pretty sure that happened and it’s odd how things like that stick in the mind.

Correct re Edwards I do recall him walking the ball into the empty net with him arm aloft to his adoring fans on the kop.

Back
Top Bottom