40 years ago today that goal by Edwards

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was sat on the back garden for the Arnott one at Southend. No live commentary on the radio of course in those days but with a few minutes left Bob Jackson suddenly started shouting out his name but in the excitement called him Keith Arnott instead.

I’m pretty sure that happened and it’s odd how things like that stick in the mind.

Correct re Edwards I do recall him walking the ball into the empty net with him arm aloft to his adoring fans on the kop.

Must have been a sunny day. I was also listening to Radio Sheffield in the back garden (not the same garden!)

Jackson did indeed start yelling "Keith Arnott! Keith Arnott" and explained he'd scored. Sticks in my mind too.

It was a brief interlude on the main event for Radio Sheffield. The Pigs got promoted the same day, and there was wall to wall coverage of that. if memory serves they beat Palace 1-0 with a Mel Sterland pen.

Re Edwards v Bristol Rovers, I have told this story too many times on here, but after Pritchett called Edwards' goal "his 39th of the season - and probably his easiest" Revo Snr wrote to the Green Un to say the goal was worthy of Pele, and won the Green 'Un star letter. He was not sent the fiver and he had to go to the Star's offices to claim it!

Thanks for confirming.

Indeed, Keith Arnott, Keith Arnott he shouted down the radio.

Happy days

Soon be 42 years since this now iconic Blades match
View attachment 182166
Was 12yrs old and had my 10yr old brother with me!! Went up on the football special with another 12yr old friend. What a fantastic day that was , to end a fantastic season, who cares if it was the 4th division had to sit on the pitch, because it was so packed!!! Great memories are still Great , no matter what ❤⚔

Was 12yrs old and had my 10yr old brother with me!! Went up on the football special with another 12yr old friend. What a fantastic day that was , to end a fantastic season, who cares if it was the 4th division had to sit on the pitch, because it was so packed!!! Great memories are still Great , no matter what ❤⚔
never to be forgotten day that was darlington town centre was just one big blades pub crawl every boozer in the town centre rammed with celebrating blades

Didn't he score two v Bristol Rovers that day, if my memory serves me correct he did in a 4-0 victory. After the match we (The Man0r Blades) went straight out in the Barrow Boys, The Garden and the Claymore to celebrate.
slow walk to pond street wait , for GREENUN at threepenny bit down to Barrow boys happy hour 5-30 to 6-30, then up to silks happy hour 6-30 to 7-30, up to claymore for eight happy days one in claymore then for 92 bus happy days mick

Still the best finisher I’ve seen at The Lane in my time , that goal against Bristol Rovers was a sublime . Edwards was an instinctive poacher & was there for the tap ins as well as the worldies . Summed up perfectly when he stooped in to head the consolation at Bolton & getting a boot in the head for his thanks .. turned out to be the goal that got us over the line to promotion.
Think he could teach some of the current squad how to take a free kick around the edge of the box , his trade mark top corner placed free kick was as good as a penalty sometimes ⚔️

slow walk to pond street wait , for GREENUN at threepenny bit down to Barrow boys happy hour 5-30 to 6-30, then up to silks happy hour 6-30 to 7-30, up to claymore for eight happy days one in claymore then for 92 bus happy days mick

92 bus, then get off at The Steel Inn for a nice quiet night !!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom