4 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Scarily it says relegation rivals Crystal Palace and Hull and mentions Leicester. Wonder where they are now....:(

Not too bad a starting XI, but the bench is shite. Not good enough for the championship, and so it proved. Blame it on Blackwell and to a certain extent, alehouse Mickey. Given the money to spend, it was appallingly squandered.

It didn't feel that heart breaking at the time because it seemed pretty clear weeks earlier.

That team though...I see two promising youths at the beginning of their careers, a few good players but some of them way out of form, a couple of past their best, a couple of 'where are they now?' and then Mattock and Lowry who I don't remember with any fondness. Oh to go back and let Blackwell keep us up with another season of top half mediocrity. Just think there would be moaning all over this forum and one guy in the corner saying 'it could be worse'.

Oh to go back and let Blackwell keep us up with another season of top half mediocrity.
This just reinforces my feelings about how futile and pointless it is to chase status. You're absolutely right, there would be exactly the same number of moaners and clappers. Happiness doesn't scale, it's on a limited spectrum. For me, the enjoyment is in the microcosms of cup-runs, "great escapes", individual days out, odd nights at Bramall Lane, individual goals and performances.

Here's a bold statement for you all: I'm positive we all enjoy our football just as much as Chelsea fans. Think about it.

This just reinforces my feelings about how futile and pointless it is to chase status. You're absolutely right, there would be exactly the same number of moaners and clappers. Happiness doesn't scale, it's on a limited spectrum. For me, the enjoyment is in the microcosms of cup-runs, "great escapes", individual days out, odd nights at Bramall Lane, individual goals and performances.

Here's a bold statement for you all: I'm positive we all enjoy our football just as much as Chelsea fans. Think about it.

I agree.

Not too bad a starting XI, but the bench is shite. Not good enough for the championship, and so it proved. Blame it on Blackwell and to a certain extent, alehouse Mickey. Given the money to spend, it was appallingly squandered.

I still stand by what i said then, Blackwell wouldn't have relegated us.

One theory says happiness is like a thermostat. Whatever happens to us, our temperaments bring us back to a certain level of happiness. It doesn't matter whether we are in the Champions League or division three, or whether we win the lottery or become paraplegic:

In the aforementioned Brickman study (1978), researchers interviewed 22 lottery winners and 29 paraplegics in order to determine their change in happiness levels due to their given event (winning lottery or becoming paralyzed). The group of lottery winners reported years after winning the lottery, participants were no happier than before they won. These findings show that having a large monetary gain had no effect on their baseline level of happiness, for both present and future happiness. Similarly, they found that a few years after the accident, the paraplegics reported similar levels of happiness in life to before the accident (i.e. they were no less happy with their lives than they were before the accident). One must note that the paraplegics did have an initial decrease in life happiness, but the key to their findings is that they eventually returned to their baseline in time.[4]

Most of that team was shite for the Championship.

Back
Top Bottom