2015/16 Home Kit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

the first pin stripe was our first league season shirt , so was in reality our first professional shirt

But not our first shirt, and the pin striped version didn't have red stripes on the shoulders nor did it have a red collar. In my view not a very good replica.

Don't think he had anything to do with it.;)

Don't get me wrong. I like the shirt, but it is not a Sheffield United shirt and never ever has been, and I don't want to see a Sheffield United side wearing it as a home strip.

Adidas have offered a glance at sartorial elegance a new future as a chic looking suave sophisticatedly attired football team , we should embrace the future.

leeds went all white , started winning things
liverpool went all red started winning things , we are just trying it for size

I think its an ok shirt if you are considering wearing it as a fashion item but not for viewing from the stands as it loses the stripes from any kind of distance and appears just white (hence forest used it as an away kit). So I guess a lot of this comes down to what you want the shirt for. Personally I favour it being recognisable and strong from a viewing point with the red stripe at least visible.

As to the stripe thickness the original was described as narrow stripes by the club's historian ( source for wiki) not pinstripes (which is something adidas produced) - something that the photo of the original on the players back then also clearly shows.

From what I can see the stripe should have been different ie more of them and thicker (making it narrow not pinstriped) if this was "the original shirt" but what really irks me is that the decision to use the forest pinstripe seems to me to have convenience and economic roots, not historical accuracy or a desire to produce a genuinely bespoke item. Personally I think its a bit of an insult to the club and the intelligence of the supporters on the part of adidas. Along the lines of "this old cloth will do for them, they'll never notice".

As for lucky shirts, shorts and socks - broad red and white stripes, black shorts and red socks is our luckiest kit historically (4-0 tonight too). We won nothing in the white with narrow stripes finishing 5th in the Midland League in our third season - the only season we wore it I believe as it was dropped in favour of all white again the season after. If we make the play-off final I really hope we don't play in the white kit.

So Adidas have mixed up the different parts of a few shirts instead of giving us a bog standard template and still people are complaining?

When the Forest shirt was posted on here last year, everyone was saying how brilliant it was, now we've got one that's very similar, you're slagging it off.

I'm not keen on having this as our home shirt but regardless of that, it's quite possibly the nicest shirt we've ever had.

Its still the first choice we made as a club for our shirt as the first kit white .were ex forces kit .which we were given. If it was good enough for our founders I am willing to honour their choice. This is not forest kit or hearts any more than our stripes are rip offs of southampton or stoke who both had the thick stripes first.

I can almost hear it now,

" In the Sheffield slums, in the Sheffield slums,
They look in a dustbin for something that's neat
They find Forest shirts and they think its a treat
In the Sheffield slums"

"Are you Cardiff in disguise"

enjoy your shirt.:p

I think it looks great, but not for our HOME shirt, lack of red and white stripes is a no for me.

This is not forest kit or hearts.

of course it's not

images
upload_2015-3-25_9-51-31.jpeg

but then again we're always looking for refs

of course it's not

images
View attachment 11134

but then again we're always looking for refs
again the same argument could be made for us copying stokes kit of the 1880s
stoke_city_1883-1887_i.gif
, if we get kit made by the same supplier theres going to be similarities , but there are huge differences , the collar , the badge positions and most of all the players in them
This is not a forest kit .its a sheffield united kit ,,, end of

Last edited:
Because it's the same style collar as one and cloth as another? Are people genuinely complaining about this? Goodness me. You do realise that ALL manufacturers will have a selection of element designs which are mostly interchangeable? The fact that you've gone north of the border before finding another club that has used that specific collar should tell you that we've actually selected something quite unique.

Imagine if we'd used EXACTLY the same template as our closest rivals in the same season!? There'd be hernias and aneurysms...

...erm...

sheffield_united_1988mid-1990-ij.gif
sheffield_wednesday_1988-1989.gif

Imagine if we'd used EXACTLY the same template as our closest rivals in the same season!? There'd be hernias and aneurysms...

sheffield_united_1988mid-1990-ij.gif
sheffield_wednesday_1988-1989.gif

It makes you laugh at all the "template" statements going around. People must look at kits with their eyes closed.

In the 1992/93 Premier League season we had two main templates from umbro..

The Lace up collar

ipswich_town_1992-1994.gif manchester_united_1992-1994.gif sheffield_united_1992-1994-cj.gif

and the "Right sleeve" something or other...

chelsea_1991-1993-d.gif everton_1991-1993_c.gif manchester_city_1991-1993-d.gif Oldham_Athletic_1992-1993-b.gif sheffield_wednesday_1992-1993.gif

Even the manufacturer Pony used a template...

coventry_city_1992-1993-m.gif norwich_city_1992-1993.gif

Back
Top Bottom