2011 FA Youth Cup Final

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Swannyblade

Reaction score

I remember subscribing to MUTV so I could watch it (quickly unsubscribed afterwards).
Quite a few of that United team have made a living from the game, albeit in League 2 for a lot of them.
Jordan Slew seemed to be the big Blades prospect at the time, but never made it at a high level - we sold him to Blackburn for £1m but he only played for them once

Looking further down the page you will notice a very young Jack O’Connell playing for Blackburn in a 4-0 defeat to Chelsea

Samir Carruthers for Villa in 2010 as well.

looking through stuff like this just goes to show how few players actually make it, even when they get to that stage.

I was amused to see Anton Rodgers popping up as a sub for Chelsea's 2009/10 squads. Star of Fresh Fields in the 80's and the ridiculous Zodiac in the 70's - watchable as an 11 year old only for the goddess that was Anouska Hempel - I would have thought he'd have been far too old, if not fully dead, to have made the squad. 😆

Rumour Mill watchers may salivate at the sight of John Swift in Chelsea's 2011/12 and 2012/13 squads. 😋

There's a case to be made that the Man U lineup might be the best of all those listed. Pogba looked a different level even back then.

Is the Sean McGinty in MU’s team the one who had a season with us??

Pogba and Morrison were superb at the lane that night.

looking through stuff like this just goes to show how few players actually make it, even when they get to that stage.

I recall a 5live interview with Troy Deeney where a question was put to him regarding advice for young players (not sure he's much of a role model but there we go). It was stated that 74% of players who sign a contract at 16 are out of the game by age 21.

Is the Sean McGinty in MU’s team the one who had a season with us??

Pogba and Morrison were superb at the lane that night.

Yes, but don't get too teary eyed and nostalgic for Jasper Johns will you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals#2010–11:_Manchester_United_vs_Sheffield_United_(2–2_and_4–1,_6–3_aggregate)

Interesting to look back on this fixture and some of the names on the teamsheets. Quite an overlap between the two teams with the likes of Maguire, Ravel and...ahem...John Cofie. A good number have gone on to establish good careers at a decent level.

Free entry if I remember correctly and a full house at the Lane.

John Cofie now playing his football in the Philippines.

I was amused to see Anton Rodgers popping up as a sub for Chelsea's 2009/10 squads. Star of Fresh Fields in the 80's and the ridiculous Zodiac in the 70's - watchable as an 11 year old only for the goddess that was Anouska Hempel - I would have thought he'd have been far too old, if not fully dead, to have made the squad. 😆

Rumour Mill watchers may salivate at the sight of John Swift in Chelsea's 2011/12 and 2012/13 squads. 😋

Also appeared in a somewhat obscure but enjoyable Roger Moore film called The Man Who Haunted Himself. Before the demise of Crab Industries, we were in talks for a remake starring the Pitsmoor Pillock, working title was The Man Who Should Go Fuck Himself.

Sralex was hugely impressed and complementary about us after that 1st leg. Man Utd won the Premier League between the 2 legs and when addressing the fans he noted our full house and asked Man Utd fans to reciprocate for the 2nd leg. There was a big crowd there and loads of Blades, it must have been a great experience for them all. From memory we lost the 2nd leg fairly easily but scored a consolation which sent most of us home happy.
"We all Know It's Giggsy" was the chant all evening as the erstwhile Welshman was desparately trying to stop his identity coming out in the papers as the cunt who was shagging his own brothers' missus behind his back.

I wrote about this on a thread entitled "Clough knows what he's doing" back in December 2014:

There were 16 players involved in the Youth Cup final. 9 have subsequently been released and we sold two, Slew and Maguire, for a combined £3.6m. Of the rest, 5 remain at United but two of those are on loan with little prospect of making it at the Lane (Ironside and McFadzean). The three currently at United are Kennedy, Long and Willis.

Those who left have gone various different ways with Carlos Pomares probably playing at the highest level with Levante B in the Spanish third tier. Elliot Whitehouse is on the books at Notts County but has yet to make an appearance for them

I don't know who Wilkinson or Martin are but they're not with us any more.

FA Youth Cup final side:
George Long (SUFC)
Ben Montgomery (released)
Aaron Barry (released, now at Derry City)
Matty Harriott (released, now at Hayes & Yeading (Conference South, 6th tier)
Harry Maguire (£2.5m to Hull City)
Terry Kennedy (SUFC)
Corey Gregory (released, now at Matlock Town (Northern Premier League Premier Division (7th tier)))
Elliot Whitehouse (released, now at Notts County)
Joe Ironside (SUFC, on loan at Hartlepool)
Jordan Slew (£1.1m to Blackburn, on loan at Port Vale)
Callum McFadzean (SUFC, on loan at Burton)

Subs:
George Willis (SUFC)
Carlos Pomares (released, now at Levante B (Spanish Segundo B (3rd tier)))
Poyra Ahmadi (released, now at Droylesden (Northern Premier League Div 1 (8th tier)))
? Wilkinson (?)
? Martin (?)

Updated:
I still don't know who Wilkinson or Martin are.

FA Youth Cup final side:
George Long (at Hull City in League One)
Ben Montgomery (no longer in football)
Aaron Barry (at Bray Wanderers (Irish 2nd tier))
Matty Harriott (last at Bedford Town in the Central League Div 1 South (English 8th tier))
Harry Maguire (at Manchester United, world's most expensive defender)
Terry Kennedy (without a club, last at Guiseley)
Corey Gregory (Ossett United (Northern Premier League Premier Division (7th tier)))
Elliot Whitehouse (at Forest Green Rovers in League Two. He'll miss the start of the season after managing to get a 6 game ban for calling an opponent a "pikey")
Joe Ironside (at Cambridge United in League Two)
Jordan Slew (at Morecambe in League Two)
Callum McFadzean (free agent having left Plymouth in the summer)

Subs:
George Willis (coaching)
Carlos Pomares (at CD Tenerife in the Spanish Segunda División))
Poyra Ahmadi (last at Glossop North End in the Northern Premier League Division One South East (8th tier))
? Wilkinson (?)
? Martin (?)

Also appeared in a somewhat obscure but enjoyable Roger Moore film called The Man Who Haunted Himself. Before the demise of Crab Industries, we were in talks for a remake starring the Pitsmoor Pillock, working title was The Man Who Should Go Fuck Himself.
Oh I do like that film. Roger Moore played a guy called Pelham, who was head of Pelham Industries, if I remember rightly. I can see the similarities now... 😆

When I was a young guitar gun-slinger about town, I wrote a song called Scapegrace about that very film.

Oh I do like that film. Roger Moore played a guy called Pelham, who was head of Pelham Industries, if I remember rightly. I can see the similarities now... 😆

When I was a young guitar gun-slinger about town, I wrote a song called Scapegrace about that very film.

Thats right, Pelham :)

Sadly (well happily in many peoples eyes) there will be no such pelham style comeback from Crab Industries. The Rover has definately sunk

As you'd expect most of the United side have done Ok for themselves with Maguire the stand out but looking back we didn't have a chance! Lingard, Pogba, Keane, Morrison (when he had a footballing future) but most of all Michael Oliver was ref in both legs. We was robbed!

George Willis has just signed for Alfreton Town in the Conference North.

Sralex was hugely impressed and complementary about us after that 1st leg. Man Utd won the Premier League between the 2 legs and when addressing the fans he noted our full house and asked Man Utd fans to reciprocate for the 2nd leg. There was a big crowd there and loads of Blades, it must have been a great experience for them all. From memory we lost the 2nd leg fairly easily but scored a consolation which sent most of us home happy.
"We all Know It's Giggsy" was the chant all evening as the erstwhile Welshman was desparately trying to stop his identity coming out in the papers as the cunt who was shagging his own brothers' missus behind his back.
We took about 6k over there for the 2nd leg. Great support for the young blades

Was in it for half an hour but their class showed in the end

Back
Top Bottom