143 years ago today.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
ON THIS DAY: 142 years ago today
The worlds first ever floodlit football match took place at Bramall Lane on 14th October 1878.
It was an experimental match between ‘The Blues’ & ‘The Reds’ to see if football matches could take place after sunset.
An estimated 20,000 people attended the match to witness 12 large lightbulbs illuminate the pitch on this historic night of football.
Newspapers reported the following morning that the lights sometimes caused the players to be ‘dazzled’ and make occasional mistakes, but It was ultimately hailed as a success, and led to further experiments and trials before the football league finally sanctioned the use of floodlights in the 1950’s, with the first league match under lights being played at Fratton Park in Portsmouth, as Pompey took on Newcastle United on the 22nd Feb 1956.
Sheffield Football Club121619173_142202610930794_5815010058106167953_n.jpg

The worlds first ever floodlit football match took place at Bramall Lane on 14th October 1878.
It was an experimental match between ‘The Blues’ & ‘The Reds’ to see if football matches could take place after sunset.
An estimated 20,000 people attended the match to witness 12 large lightbulbs illuminate the pitch on this historic night of football.
Newspapers reported the following morning that the lights sometimes caused the players to be ‘dazzled’ and make occasional mistakes, but It was ultimately hailed as a success, and led to further experiments and trials before the football league finally sanctioned the use of floodlights in the 1950’s, with the first league match under lights being played at Fratton Park in Portsmouth, as Pompey took on Newcastle United on the 22nd Feb 1956.
Sheffield Football ClubView attachment 122772
Long time before a league match was allowed under lights then.

Sheffield Football ClubView attachment 122772
All well and good putting this post up, but how many years are you going to keep it going?🤣
Nice post - I didn’t realise the first league match under lights was as late as 1956. It is so much a part of the game now.

Meanwhile Sheffield Wednesday hold claim to the oldest floodlights since gas powered lanterns as they are still using the worlds first electrical floodlights.

Anyone on here there? Any issues at the turnstiles? What was the service at the kiosks like?

A little before my time , but I have a very good first hand account from my great grandfather who often described it to me as I sat on his knee as a young boy .

As to turnstiles , he told me there weren’t any but that entry was via a gate manned by two burly chaps holding cudgels who seemed to operate as he put it , on “One for them , one for me “ basis with only half the money going into the club biscuit tin .

In respect of half time refreshments , I well remember him expressing his disappointment at the fact that when he came to be served they had run out of sheep’s heads and sherry and having to settle for a schooner of port wine and a chitterling butty . Some things never change , eh ?

Finally , I recall him telling me that one our players at the time by the name of Albert Cracklethwaite , was so good that this flash new kid we’d got called Hagan wasn’t fit to lace his boots ........

:)

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like much of a success when it took the best part of a century for a proper game to be played under lights.

McCabe doing it on the cheap again I assume.

It was a nightmare getting in as there were increased Bubonic Plague security checks on the turnstile due to rising cases in the area.
We couldn't make it as the recent panic buying of hay had left us short and we didn't have enough for Hercules to get us there and back from the other side of Chesterfield

Anyone on here there? Any issues at the turnstiles? What was the service at the kiosks like?
Could this also be the first instance of stewards going to phase 4?..........and was PC Meadows in the control room????

They could have waited 2 weeks and a couple of days then they could have have worn hollowed out pumpkins for heads,made it even a more scarry spectackle.

I heard that fans of the red team kidney punched someone in a wheelchair wearing a red team jersey after the game :(

I heard that the red team were chucking flagons of urine at the blue team, and florins, tanners, thruppeny-bits and farthings.

Back
Top Bottom