“We have been carrying him, I have never seen him a decent 60 mins let alone a whole game, average.”

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Both Fleck and Coutts deserce a mighty big 'up' for achieving what they have last season and the beginning of this. Fleck because even though he was player of the season he wasn't truly valued and Couttsy because he turned around what had been a poor United career so far into a magical career. Fantastic turn around by both!!!!!! I saw Currie, Hockey, Hutchinson, Tonge, Brown etc. and they are up there with the best of em.

Both Fleck and Coutts deserce a mighty big 'up' for achieving what they have last season and the beginning of this. Fleck because even though he was player of the season he wasn't truly valued and Couttsy because he turned around what had been a poor United career so far into a magical career. Fantastic turn around by both!!!!!! I saw Currie, Hockey, Hutchinson, Tonge, Brown etc. and they are up there with the best of em.

Hutchison was fucking useless for us. The all action, goal scoring midfielder who wasn't and didn't.

Coutts took a long time to recover completely from his injury.

Some fans can't see these things.

One or two of us did. It couldn't have been more obvious. He just didn't do the aimless shadow-chasing so revered in S2. He still doesn't. He doesn't need to, because he never gives the ball awaaaaaaay...

IMG_0229.JPG

Hutchison was fucking useless for us. The all action, goal scoring midfielder who wasn't and didn't.

If never understood the affection he receives amongst some of our fan base. It's as though they saw his performances with Everton/Sunderland/Scotland and retroactively applied the form he showed with them to the performances with us. He was a massive disappointment given the cost at the time.

The thing with Coutts is that he's a "neat and tidy' player, extremely comfortable on the ball and likes to keep possession.
However what if he's in a team that struggles to keep possession or doesn't have mobile forwards or overlapping full backs.
In such a team then Coutts style is not suited and he'd be pretty ineffective.

The main reason why Coutts, Fleck and Duffy are so good is because they all sing from the same hymn sheet.
They all know each other's game inside out and because they all have a good first touch then it makes the job so much easier.
There are now attacking full backs bombing down the wing and Duffy finds space in the gaps between midfield and attack.
Basically Wilder has found a way to get the best out of Fleck, Duffy and Coutts.

Another point that hasn't been mentioned. Championship teams seem to value possession much more than league 1 teams who take more risks and lump it forward quicker. I think Coutts style is much more suited to the Championship than league 1.

Wilder realises that quite often football is a simply game and working the ball, playing quick simple passes can be really effective.

Last edited:
If never understood the affection he receives amongst some of our fan base. It's as though they saw his performances with Everton/Sunderland/Scotland and retroactively applied the form he showed with them to the performances with us. He was a massive disappointment given the cost at the time.

That's precisely what they do. Hey, there's no bigger admirer of quality midfielders than me. I was delighted when we signed him. Then he pulled on the shirt...

If a player arrives at a new club carrying an injury and the new club is one in turmoil it is no surprise when that player underperforms.
Chef Evans arrived under the same circumstances. Then the club got a new manager in Wilson who"s first season was all about attacking and winning games, suddenly Chef Evans became a different player albeit at a lower level.

Fitness, being injury free, the style of play, tactics and a manager that is able to get the best out of players is what improves players performances

Back
Top Bottom