Wingers?!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownblade

Reaction score
So... Obviously we don't play wingers. We apply that logic to every made up transfer rumour.

However... Is it possible that we might consider playing 343 at times next season (or 523 if you prefer not to consider the WBs as part of the midfield)?!

Thinking about it, would that be so drastically different to our usual 352 (or 532)? We could play in a similar shape but we'd have additional men higher up the pitch when every attack started (two of them pacey wingers).

Obviously Dennis and others are being mentioned on this forum, along with various others here and there. Maybe Jed Wallace would be an affordable option. Not Ryan Fraser.

So, yeah, might we actually sign 2 or 3 wingers?!

Bruce Wayne

Reaction score
So... Obviously we don't play wingers. We apply that logic to every made up transfer rumour.

However... Is it possible that we might consider playing 343 at times next season (or 523 if you prefer not to consider the WBs as part of the midfield)?!

Thinking about it, would that be so drastically different to our usual 352 (or 532)? We could play in a similar shape but we'd have additional men higher up the pitch when every attack started (two of them pacey wingers).

Obviously Dennis and others are being mentioned on this forum, along with various others here and there. Maybe Jed Wallace would be an affordable option. Not Ryan Fraser.

Jed Wallace? Jeez rather keep Callum Robinson if we are going down that route.

Rodley

Reaction score
Decent point, but not sold mate. We’re a team of good players, exceeding expectations hugely due to our outstanding system and leading to unprecedented success. Why change the system and not just seek the upgrade the players? Just can’t see a complete overhaul working - a bit of finesse and we could push on again. 👍👍👍

brownblade

Reaction score
I'm not saying it will happen. Realistically we're more likely to play more minutes with the Duffy role, if we did decide to open up a bit. I guess I'm just wondering if this is the window we all dismiss winger speculation but are then surprised.

SwissBlade

Reaction score
I'm not saying it will happen. Realistically we're more likely to play more minutes with the Duffy role, if we did decide to open up a bit. I guess I'm just wondering if this is the window we all dismiss winger speculation but are then surprised.

I can't think of many, if any sides that change their systems so drastically whilst they are successful under the same manager. I always find it bizarre when fans suggest these drastic changes (every season we've had similar suggestions

We play the best football i've seen in my 42 years and we are also the most successful and progressive Blades side in that time. So why the need for the big changes, taking such a risk for perhaps something that we'd struggle to make work.

I look at Baldock and Stevens and see two players that are constantly developing, defying critics and causing sides so many problems. When i think of wingers i shudder and think back to Febian Brandy, Cambell-Ryce and David Cotterill, remembering the crosses that either never came, never found the strikers and more often than not ended up in the Kop or that netting below the BLUT. Thats not to say I'm against wingers, i just think in recent years we've not had the best of them

Where we've had success as a club is the wing backs and fullbacks. Right back to when Wilder himself played, to Borbokis, to the Kyles, Wayne Quinn, Brayford and then Freeman, Stevens, Baldock....

Its so successful and provides our now trademark CB's to play the way they do, Its allowed Fleck and Lunny to play the way they do as well...

I'm not anti-winger, i'm just extremely pro-wingback.

Cerberus Blade

Reaction score

You may have seen what I’ve said about this before. It’s ridiculous to say “we don’t play wingers” or things like “he wouldn’t fit into our system”. That suggests we have a fixed approach to every game and we don’t. If we did we’d soon get found out - and we haven’t.

The system has to adapt to fit the circumstances and the more options we have all over the park the better.

If you look at our lack of firepower I see wingers as being part of the solution. We rely a lot on full backs, wing half’s, and centre half’s even, to deliver in the final third. It works brilliantly at times because it’s so hard for the opposition to counter. But there are many other times when it falls down because ultimately these players are not equipped to travel at speed with ball at feet, dribble around players and take a pot at goal or put the early killer ball into the strikers. Their instinct is to play a safer ball, even if that means going backwards or sideways and starting again.

Change that and you change the attacking dimension of the team.

This is what I think/hope will be the next stage of development for the team. I’m not expecting us to deviate massively from what has worked so well for us, but I do think having some speedy defence unlockers will change our attacking stats.

Bladezz

Reaction score

No

brownblade

Reaction score
As per my original post, I'm not saying i want to change formation, or that I'm remotely concerned about our tactics. I was speculating about speculation really.

True that a short summer isn't helpful to practice new formations. But I'm only asking if it might be a tweak that we add to our options, based on our opponents tactics etc.

We did finish plenty of matches with 3 strikers. There's not a huge difference to that, than having 1 CF and 2 wingers.

Where do the people that want, e.g. Dennis to sign, want us to play him (or any other rumoured signings that are traditional wingers)?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom