We are in for a difficult season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
This is something myself and a very small minority have been saying, if not whispering, on here since we got promoted. This post is in no-way related to today's result, although hopefully that will provide a reality check. We haven't really had any proper tests for pre-season which has been disappointing. Bournemouth have played WBA, Brentford Lazio and Lyon. We lost to Burton and Stade de Reims, and beat non-league Chesterfield and Northampton. Hardly inspiring!

It's easy to be positive. I could post 'I'm so excited we're really going to surprise people this year UTB!' and get 100+ likes and we all feel good about ourselves but it doesn't reflect the truth, of where I see it, where we are at. This does not mean that or others are in any way less supportive of the team cheering them on. I also don't want to be a downer or that terrible word 'slasher', but it seems like anyone who is skeptical is labelled one so so be it.

Those who will 'play the poster not the post' will remember my overreaction to the Villa result. I was wrong then and was delighted to be and I hope I'll be wrong again. We have come so very far so why not further? Well as I see it what Wilder has done is taken a paddle boat across the Atlantic ocean and has paid for an engine and is intent on taking it to the moon. Honestly if we stay up it will have to go down as one of football's greatest achievements.

This is not a dig or criticism of anyone and I wouldn't have managed things any differently (apart from not signing Mousett the Bournemouth reject and arranging better pre-season fixtures). The club strategy makes perfect sense, they are smart buys if we go down genius buys if we they are good enough to help us stay up.

If we do struggle badly all I hope is that we stick with Wilder no matter what. Certain players will not make the leap up. Others won't settle in as we'd like. This is a tough league, just ask yourself how many of our players would get into any other PL squads let alone first team? Football isn't won on paper, as demonstrated by our promotion. But there is a limit and I really fear this will be a bridge too far and many will be disappointed. Do we really expect Lundstram to be the midfield answer in the PL?!

So just a note to say, I recommend we expect the worse and hope for the best and not overreact to bad results (I know I'm hypocritical) and manage our expectations. I remember when we got thrashed by Middlesborough last year. Fortunately Wilder saw that Evans wasn't working and got rid and then brought Norwood in, this year we don't have that luxury with the window closing much earlier.

We should all be excited for next season but I just felt this needed saying to 'counter-balance' what's being said. Now of course... ;)

UTB

This is something myself and a very small minority have been saying, if not whispering, on here since we got promoted. This post is in no-way related to today's result, although hopefully that will provide a reality check. We haven't really had any proper tests for pre-season which has been disappointing. Bournemouth have played WBA, Brentford Lazio and Lyon. We lost to Burton and Stade de Reims, and best non-league Chesterfield and Northampton. Hardly inspiring!

It's easy to be positive. I could post 'I'm so excited we're really going to surprise people this year UTB!' and get 100+ likes and we all feel good about ourselves but it doesn't reflect the truth, of where I see it, where we are at. This does not mean that or others are in any way less supportive of the team cheering them on. I also don't want to be a downer or that terrible word 'slasher', but it seems like anyone who is skeptical is labelled one so so be it.

Those who will 'play the poster not the post' will remember my overreaction to the Villa result. I was wrong then and was delighted to be and I hope I'll be wrong again. We have come so very far so why not further? Well as I see it what Wilder has done is taken a paddle boat across the Atlantic ocean and has paid for an engine and is intent on taking it to the moon. Honestly if we stay up it will have to go down as one of football's greatest achievements.

This is not a dig or criticism of anyone and I wouldn't have managed things any differently (apart from not signing Mousett the Bournemouth reject and arranging better pre-season fixtures). The club strategy makes perfect sense, they are smart buys if we go down genius buys if we they are good enough to help us stay up.

If we do struggle badly all I hope is that we stick with Wilder no matter what. Certain players will not make the leap up. Others won't settle in as we'd like. This is a tough league, just ask yourself how many of our players would get into any other PL squads let alone first team? Football isn't won on paper, as demonstrated by our promotion. But there is a limit and I really fear this will be a bridge too far and many will be disappointed. Do we really expect Lundstram to be the midfield answer in the PL?!

So just a note to say, I recommend we expect the worse and hope for the best and not overreact to bad results (I know I'm hypocritical) and manage our expectations. I remember when we got thrashed by Middlesborough last year. Fortunately Wilder saw that Evans wasn't working and got rid and then brought Norwood in, this year we don't have that luxury with the window closing much earlier.

We should all be excited for next season but I just felt this needed saying to 'counter-balance' what's being said. Now of course... ;)

UTB
This is a fantastic post........If you are suffering from insomnia.

This is something myself and a very small minority have been saying, if not whispering, on here since we got promoted. This post is in no-way related to today's result, although hopefully that will provide a reality check. We haven't really had any proper tests for pre-season which has been disappointing. Bournemouth have played WBA, Brentford Lazio and Lyon. We lost to Burton and Stade de Reims, and beat non-league Chesterfield and Northampton. Hardly inspiring!

UTB

Were you expecting this season to be easy?

UTB
Here we fucking go... Get a life ffs

UTB

Please point me in the direction of anyone who thought this season wasn’t going to be difficult.

Please point me in the direction of anyone who thought this season wasn’t going to be difficult.

I thought this season was gonna be a piece of piss tbh... Europe or bust! Christ the team we just played came 8th in Frances top division beating PSG in the process we dont have the divine right to win every game

UTB

Remind me again, how many football league clubs have you played for or managed? The season hasn't even started for god's sake.

.................................We should all be excited for next season but I just felt this needed saying to 'counter-balance' what's being said. Now of course... ;)

UTB
You could have asked the same question at the beginning of last season in regards to other team's squad in the Championship?

Not sure what/whose expectations you're wanting to 'counter-balance'. I don't think there are many expecting us to qualify for the Champions League next season?

I'd have more respect for the post if he had said it before the game today or last week or whenever but he says it has nothing to do with todays game,yeah,right

The thing is I've been saying it for weeks

See post 695

Perhaps the tone of the OP is more combative than I intended and I'm not on the game of arguing with fellow Blades. Of course I want people to be positive

It just seems to me that anyone who is apprehensive or negative about this season's prospects are instantly dismissed

UTB
morganfreemanforum.jpg

I remember out first game back in the Championship v Boro away. First half we looked like rabbits in the headlights but gradually grew into the game and Had a perfectly good goal ruled off-side when it wasn't so lost 1-0. After that we gradually over the next 3 or 4 games, adapted to the Championship and the rest is history. I wouldn't be surprised if today is a bit of a wake up call for the players and also a realization that the standard is a level or two up from the Championship but I am confident that they will adjust to the PL as will CW/AK. I still don't think CW knows his best team and there will be some chopping and changing to find it. Sounds like we were much better after L Freeman, Ravel and Oli came on today.

This is a fantastic post........If you are suffering from insomnia.

FM’s basically laying down his insurance policy.

He’s predicted doom and gloom. If he’s right he’ll glory in his brave/ unpopular prediction.
If we play well and stay up proving FM is wrong....like he was after the Villa defeat.
Then he’ll joke that’s he loving it being proven wrong........He can’t lose either way.

It’s like some of our supporters who bet big money on us to lose the play-off final.....to soften the blow...so they win either way.

We have a great chance of survival if we keep our nerve, play to our strengths and not to the opposition strengths.

We are unlikely to get anything against the big 5 or so other than some hammerings but we must stay true to our attacking style against the other sides.

If we go into every game like it was “Leeds away last season” then we will not win enough games or score enough goals to stay up.

That means no Lunny or or Bash in midfield against the Bournemouth’s and Brighton’s and Palaces.

UTB
I just wrote a 2100 word response to this, and then I deleted the lot as I realised that I just can't be bothered with defeatist, negative, glass completely empty attention seekers. Get a grip, it's a great time to be a Blade. Midas will sort out whatever problems we might have.

Back
Top Bottom