Goal Difference

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

anglian blade

Reaction score
If Leeds catch up our goal difference it will be decided on goals scored, which almost certainly will favour Leeds unless we have a freak 5-4 type result. So promotion is not ensured just by winning the next 3 games

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
If Leeds catch up our goal difference it will be decided on goals scored, which almost certainly will favour Leeds unless we have a freak 5-4 type result. So promotion is not ensured just by winning the next 3 games
Just checked and goals scored is almost identical. They’ve scored only 1 more goal more than us.
So a 3-2 win probably gives us the advantage even if GD is level. Even a 2-1 would be enough to tie.

However it’s all academic because there won’t be a 9 goal swing in just 3 matches, that’s on the assumption that we match the Leeds 3 game points haul, which is the only scenario where goal difference becomes relevant.

Last edited:

ben1987

Reaction score
That doesn’t make sense, goals scored is almost identical. They’ve scored only 1 more goal more than us.
So a 3-2 win probably gives us the advantage even if GD is level. Even a 2-1 might be enough.
But for them to catch up our goal difference they have to out score us by a fair few goals over the next 3 games.

Reaction score
It’ll be decided on points on the last game.

I can see Leeds going back above us today and then us swinging back when they play Villa.

I think we’ll have the advantage going into the last game.

And then it’s just about who turns up on the day and/or who gets he result.

Fucking Ipswich, by far the worst side in the league, will end up playing a huge role in deciding who gets 2nd

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
But for them to catch up our goal difference they have to out score us by a fair few goals over the next 3 games.
Ah yeh I see what you mean now, you’re correct. If the goal difference was equal then it looks certain that Leeds would pip us on goal scored.

Champagneblade

Reaction score
They have to outscore us by two goals every game.

Two of those are away and the home one is Villa.

Mirror their results and if both teams lose, avoid being thumped!

If we have the same results, at this stage it will be difficult for them to overcome.

Their main hope is probably pumping Ipswich last day but they will have no pressure on them and they've kept things relatively respectable despite their demise.

Take care of our own matches, one at a time. It's all we can do!

Pinchy

Blade, not Bladey.
Reaction score
As this is SUFC fans you are talking about, obviously the servile, obsequious, spineless Jellybabies will think it more likely than not.
My friend Common Sense asked me to make these amendments. He has a backbone.

Pinchy

Blade, not Bladey.
Reaction score
Only in S2 are there people so excruciatingly obsequious as to contemplate that Dirty Corrupt Leeds are remotely likely to reverse a six goal deficit if both teams win all three games. The self-same people would entirely rule out the same thing happening in our favour. They would mock and sneer at the very idea.

This is Bladey Inferiority Complex at its grotesque, knee-bending worst. It’s utterly embarrassing. Stop it. It will not happen.

Antarctic Monkey

Reaction score
Only in S2 are there people so excruciatingly obsequious as to contemplate that Dirty Corrupt Leeds are remotely likely to reverse a six goal deficit if both teams win all three games. The self-same people would entirely rule out the same thing happening in our favour. They would mock and sneer at the very idea.

This is Bladey Inferiority Complex at its grotesque, knee-bending worst. It’s utterly embarrassing. Stop it. It will not happen.
I'm not in S2

Snowman

Reaction score
My friend Common Sense asked me to make these amendments. He has a backbone.
Common Sense is not a person Pinchy and therefore not only unlikely, but more than that, impossible to have asked you to do anything. You fortunately do not have the entire reservoir of common sense, nor knowledge (football or otherwise) on this board as if you did, we would be burdened with Weir and deprived of Fleck and Wilder.

Backbone has also nothing to do with it. I have sufficient thank you. What I do not have is an unswerving faith that nothing could possibly go wrong and that a goal difference of plus 6 cannot be overcome. I also have a realistic view of the Universe and it's ability, apparently at a whim, to screw things up for Sheffield United.

Antarctic Monkey

Reaction score
An excellent philosophy, well founded in metaphysics. Have you considered a dialectical enquiry?
Borderline personality disorder?

Is S2 not a geographical area then?

Don't get hung about it pal, have a beer in the sun and watch the match...

Pinchy

Blade, not Bladey.
Reaction score
Common Sense is not a person Pinchy and therefore not only unlikely, but more than that, impossible to have asked you to do anything. You fortunately do not have the entire reservoir of common sense, nor knowledge (football or otherwise) on this board as if you did, we would be burdened with Weir and deprived of Fleck and Wilder.

Backbone has also nothing to do with it. I have sufficient thank you. What I do not have is an unswerving faith that nothing could possibly go wrong and that a goal difference of plus 6 cannot be overcome. I also have a realistic view of the Universe and it's ability, apparently at a whim, to screw things up for Sheffield United.
Let’s have a substantial wager, then? In fact that goes for all the obsequious Jellybabies.

You wouldn’t be entertaining the idea if it was us that had to reverse the six goal deficit. It’s bollocks. It won’t happen. DCL could finish above us, of course they could, but it categorically won’t be on goal difference. No further argument. It will not happen. Big bet or shut up about it.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom