Has the famous bbc finished

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not that I'm particularly saddened by the fact... but the majority of modern attempts at firms from my experience tend to simply see a result as letting off the odd smoke bomb and shouting a few angry words once assembled safely behind a row of storm-troopers or in the safety of the back of a stand.

Which I suppose is better than dodging the hatchets and darts :)

And the acid ...

Remember being at BDTBL in the late 60s at a Blades-Pigs "friendly" when there was no segregation and both firms on the Kop.

Someone chucked a bottle of acid into the Kop roof stanchions and it shattered over people's heads. Saw some nasty burns that day.

not just at football, trouble in general I think. But there's so much surveillance now and I reckon it's mainly that, plus improvements in detection and forensics, and the removal of lead from petrol ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615) that keeps it under the surface.

All we need now then is to remove the alcohol from alcoholic drinks and the neurotoxins (or whatever) from drugs and leaves - sorted :D

Not surprised about that article - lead must have been inhaled in large quantities for decades - enough to turn anybody bonkers I guess.

And the acid ...

Remember being at BDTBL in the late 60s at a Blades-Pigs "friendly" when there was no segregation and both firms on the Kop.

Someone chucked a bottle of acid into the Kop roof stanchions and it shattered over people's heads. Saw some nasty burns that day.
I was there and saw it. I didn't see who chucked the acid but found out later it was an old school m8 of mine. I was shocked, you couldn't meet a nicer bloke.
He got several years at HMP for that. It was a county cup match I think.

Actually saying you were in the BBC is a bit like saying you were at Woodstock, saw The Pistols at The Free Trade Hall or The Arctic Monkeys above The Grapes. If all those who said they were BBC actually were, then we would need three tiers to the Lane. They were not a large group.

A lot of people think by wearing the gear, staring with intent or standing in the pub of the times then you were part of it. There were a lot of wannabe's, poseurs, runners and weaklings whose behaviour was only ever when en masse. They were actually sadder than any hooligan ever was.

As for the question has it gone away?

Yes, as a fundamental group who regularly go away and meet in the boozers of London Road, seeking to head to West St and The Limit to find the OCS (and they were mostly bigger cowards, poseurs and bullies !).

Equally it's also a No, for as with most clubs, on certain occasions when something will bring people together, a birthday (likely to be 50 not 21 nowadays), a match of significance or a day trip somewhere. Personally, most of them have a lot to lose nowadays so I'm surprised if the real BBC ever actually get up to much. Life has a habit of sobering up your activity if not your drinking.

What always tickles me though, is as is described here, when the 'original' BBC Dads come out with their teenie sons. What do they say to the posturing son? 'Don't you dare' or 'Get stuck in'...

And for the record (and any old bill monitoring the site) I was not a member of the BBC, but you don't grow up in Nether Edge, go to Abbeydale Grange, follow United with your mates and not your Dad from 83 onwards and learn your drinking arts in Sheffield City centre in the 80's without getting to know a few interesting characters.

UTB
When did you leave Abbeydale ? I left in in 78 and grew up in Nether Edge so probably know you.
The BBC never really existed as a regular group to be honest ,it was just who ever was out and fancied a ruck with pigs or away fans ,there were many different groups of lads who all got together on Saturdays ,I suppose you could say it was the lads who congregated in Silks after a match or who went up West St ,but you never got a badge and a membership ,its all a load of bollocks

Remember being in the landsdowne on London, I used to go down London rd quite a lot as I lived on abbey dale rd, close to highfields. Any ways at the bar are the so called bbc, there's an argument between them and a guy at the bar( found out later he was a pig). It kicked off, and everyone backed away except 8/9 bbc and this one pig. They hit him with every thing, fist, feet, chairs tables the lot. When they tired of beating on him, ( lasted about 30 seconds), he was still on his feet calling em on. But they were out the door like the pack animals they are, scared of the police turning up. Also found out after this guy was no trouble maker,or a piggy game regular. One on one not a prayer.

...And for the record (and any old bill monitoring the site) I was not a member of the BBC, but you don't grow up in Nether Edge, go to Abbeydale Grange, follow United with your mates and not your Dad from 83 onwards and learn your drinking arts in Sheffield City centre in the 80's without getting to know a few interesting characters.

UTB
Nether Edge? Luxury! We used to dream about living in Nether Edge...
hqdefault.jpg

All we need now then is to remove the alcohol from alcoholic drinks
we might not live longer, but it would certainly seem like it ;)

Not surprised about that article - lead must have been inhaled in large quantities for decades - enough to turn anybody bonkers I guess.
I also heard a radio programme about it a few years ago, totally convinced me. In the US in some states they removed the lead gradually. and 20 years later the violent crime stats went down gradually, and in the states where they banned it all at once the violence stats went down suddenly as well.

It was Alan Hodgkinson's testimonial match between the two Sheffield teams in Sept 1968

Think it was Graham Shaw's testimonial April 67 Peter, the lad who threw it didn't get jailed, he got 3 years probation.

And the acid ...

Sounds delightful... Nasty bastards. Got no time for 'hooligans', brain dead idiots the lot of em. I've read the BBC books and although they are interesting at the same time it's bloody embarrassing. If they really were as passionate about United as they make out they are/were then they wouldn't have carried on the way they did.

Animals

The BBC were an ugly bunch of thugs who used to deal in illegal substances and generally caused mayhem for the sake of it. I speak from a position of knowledge on this. I used to manage a nightlub in Sheffield on the BBC's patch, so my dealings with the law were full of insights regarding the BBC.

Wasn't the trouble with the BBC and door staff about who dealt the illegal substances?

Wasn't the trouble with the BBC and door staff about who dealt the illegal substances?

That was almost certainly the case before I managed the club, but during my tenure (when it was The Music Factory) the police were in constant touch, identifying members of the BBC that they wanted barred from the club. I recall one 'senior' BBC twat who we had to deny access being murdered because of his drug dealing 'antics'. Heady days indeed.

Oh no Billy, why burden the NHS? Give them no option than to use private healthcare, make 'em pay full whack, at least it'll hit their pocket. That's the least they deserve. The BBC were an ugly bunch of thugs who used to deal in illegal substances and generally caused mayhem for the sake of it. I speak from a position of knowledge on this. I used to manage a nightlub in Sheffield on the BBC's patch, so my dealings with the law were full of insights regarding the BBC.

Just a bit of devil's advocacy... Do you think the Music Factory would have been as popular without the drugs its patrons often dabbled in?

Definitely hodgies testimonial, mate from school appeared on either look north or calender following

evening, did he give some at scool following day, I remember saying to my older brother "can you smell

vinegar" never realised at the time what was going off. Trickey Trev on tele. gave a great account of

what was going off.

Just a bit of devil's advocacy... Do you think the Music Factory would have been as popular without the drugs its patrons often dabbled in?

Good question JD. Unlike my youth, recreational (whatever that's meant to imply) drug use-age is as commonplace these days as going to the pub, so much so it's here to stay in my opinion. For a club that has a big music night (the MF's Saturday policy was 'celebrity' DJ's playing House) drugs and dancing go hand in hand. One fact I hardly see mentioned is that this type of crowd rarely causes trouble, unlike a boozer where alcohol can contribute towards aggressive behaviour. The big danger with drugs is dehydration which can be lethal if not attended to quickly.

Where dealers and security almost always do have some kind of relationship is that the security will 'tax' the dealers on the drugs they sell inside the club, and for an owner of a club this is difficult to prevent. So that begs the question of who actually controls the club?

That was almost certainly the case before I managed the club, but during my tenure (when it was The Music Factory) the police were in constant touch, identifying members of the BBC that they wanted barred from the club. I recall one 'senior' BBC twat who we had to deny access being murdered because of his drug dealing 'antics'. Heady days indeed.

Claiming that the BBC dealt in illegal substances makes them sound like a para-military organisation rather than a collection of individuals who meet up at certain games. The guy who was murdered was a big Blades fan and your description of him might offend some people.

Definitely hodgies testimonial, mate from school appeared on either look north or calender following

evening, did he give some at scool following day, I remember saying to my older brother "can you smell

vinegar" never realised at the time what was going off. Trickey Trev on tele. gave a great account of

what was going off.

The lad who threw the acid stole it from the science lab at school, I know the lad and he wouldn't have been at school in 68 (Hodgy's testimonial) but would have been for Graham Shaw's in 67, like I said he got 3 years probation.

Claiming that the BBC dealt in illegal substances makes them sound like a para-military organisation rather than a collection of individuals who meet up at certain games. The guy who was murdered was a big Blades fan and your description of him might offend some people.
The lad who he was referring I think is L highly respected his death was a tragedy.

Think it was Graham Shaw's testimonial April 67 Peter, the lad who threw it didn't get jailed, he got 3 years probation.
My memory maybe be playing tricks on me but I'm almost certain he did time. Not seen the guy since the late 70's. Did you know him?

Back
Top Bottom