Alan Knill gone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?




So what you’re saying is they improved after he left?

I bet Steve Gibson is gutted he sacked Wilder.
Xg said they would improve as they were essentially just not clinical under Wilder. Got goals went up the table.

Almost like xg has some merit
 
So almost as bad as Selles then?

How did Carrick get on with the same squad?
Dont ask silly questions! I wonder if some Boro fans were still blaming Wilder for a sh1t pre season and awful signings nearly a year later?
 
When Wilder has a free hand to sign his own players, and doesn't have big money to spend, he'll get you a good team up. That's an inheritance from the Dave Bassett era, and when he arrived at the Lane Wilder was in the happy position of being able to fashion a new team.

What he's not so good at is taking over from other managers and having to get a tune out of their players, which probably explains why things didn't go as well at Watford and bonny 'Boro.
 
Bettis essentially said he was moved on as he was too old! Wanted younger coaches as that is the trend for managers now. BTW Wilder only 2 years younger than Knill!

Knill could file a grievance for constructive dismissal by ageism!
His contract was up
 
His contract was up
I don’t know if it was or not, but ask yourself why Knilly was shocked with the decision, especially when/if he and Wilder were so close.

If it was a simple as that, I would imagine it would have been discussed well before it happened.

Surely, if it was your mate, you’d want him leaving with a decent thank you and/or send off.
 
Nope. Almost everyone in football knows there's at least SOME thing in it. From Wilder to Pep and everyone expect dads in
Nope. Almost everyone in football knows there's at least SOME thing in it. From Wilder to Pep and everyone expect dads in pubs
Well I suppose being called " a dad in the pub" is an improvement on being called a cunt and aWednesday fan all because I dont agree with the cult of xg.
 
Well I suppose being called " a dad in the pub" is an improvement on being called a cunt and aWednesday fan all because I dont agree with the cult of xg.


Ignore him, as usual he needs some validation so he has to pick fights. He’s not normally allowed up at this time.
 



Well I suppose being called " a dad in the pub" is an improvement on being called a cunt and aWednesday fan all because I dont agree with the cult of xg.
Its not something to use alone but if you can't see it has its merits and isn't only used by anoraks then I don't know.... Even managers mocked for being old school like "Big Sam" have been using data and the like for decades
 
Its not something to use alone but if you can't see it has its merits and isn't only used by anoraks then I don't know.... Even managers mocked for being old school like "Big Sam" have been using data and the like for decades
I dont disagree about big Sam, he was one of the first managers when at Bolton to introduce sports science into football. Wilder himself often talks of "the numbers" which he obviosly means the data. The problem is, supporters place too much emphasis on xg alone. It means naff all. Im with Steve Macken on xg.
 
I thought Wilder, Knill and Prestridge all signed deals till 2027 when they returned last season? Be odd to give the other 2 different deals or only give Knill a 10 month contract (Sept to July)?
It seems your possibility right ,so will have been paid up under the clauses in the contract
 
I dont disagree about big Sam, he was one of the first managers when at Bolton to introduce sports science into football. Wilder himself often talks of "the numbers" which he obviosly means the data. The problem is, supporters place too much emphasis on xg alone. It means naff all. Im with Steve Macken on xg.
I said xg has some merit. You said only to anoraks. I think we are in agreement it does have some merit in the end.

Of course it's not everything as if you create 20 great chances but have a shit striker or shit keeper who lets pearollers in its not telling the results in games but that's pretty extreme and even then useful for pointing out issues if you aren't able to see them with your own two eyes anyway!
 
I said xg has some merit. You said only to anoraks. I think we are in agreement it does have some merit in the end.

Of course it's not everything as if you create 20 great chances but have a shit striker or shit keeper who lets pearollers in its not telling the results in games but that's pretty extreme and even then useful for pointing out issues if you aren't able to see them with your own two eyes anyway!
Yes the anoraks that just quote xg . At the end of the season there will be an xg table, soley for xg ratings. The anoraks will copy and paste it to try prove that xg is the be all and end all. You watch. If you dont expect goals every match you have a big problem.
 
Bettis essentially said he was moved on as he was too old! Wanted younger coaches as that is the trend for managers now. BTW Wilder only 2 years younger than Knill!

Knill could file a grievance for constructive dismissal by ageism!
Wilder next....
 
I dont disagree about big Sam, he was one of the first managers when at Bolton to introduce sports science into football. Wilder himself often talks of "the numbers" which he obviosly means the data. The problem is, supporters place too much emphasis on xg alone. It means naff all. Im with Steve Macken on xg.

What if I put it to you this way: Over the course of a season, if a team, on average, were giving the opposition more chances to score then they were creating, would you expect them to have a better or worse season?

The phrase “chance” has been used in football for decades. I simply see xG as an attempt to quantify “that was a great chance” or “how did he score from there?!” into some kind of statistical metric.
 
What if I put it to you this way: Over the course of a season, if a team, on average, were giving the opposition more chances to score then they were creating, would you expect them to have a better or worse season?

The phrase “chance” has been used in football for decades. I simply see xG as an attempt to quantify “that was a great chance” or “how did he score from there?!” into some kind of statistical metric.
You see xg in anyway you wish, and i'll do the same thanks. I wont be the one frothing at the gob over xg tables throughout the season.
 
I don’t know if it was or not, but ask yourself why Knilly was shocked with the decision, especially when/if he and Wilder were so close.

If it was a simple as that, I would imagine it would have been discussed well before it happened.

Surely, if it was your mate, you’d want him leaving with a decent thank you and/or send off.

You would have thought that wouldn’t you.

Although Bettis originally tried to hide behind the collective decision answer, Rob pressed him and Bettis admitted that he and Wilder had discussed it and then a collective decision was made.

This must mean that Wilder broached this subject with Bettis, there is no way a CEO would interfere with a manager’s staff setup. Once they’d decided to sack him they would have then approached the owners for the green light and to check on what budget they had for a replacement.

Wilder may have done his best to hide his skulduggery but the truth will out in the end and it doesn’t paint Wilder in a good light, fancy treating an old friend like that, especially one who gave HIM his break way back when.
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom