Today's ref

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The guy started a post about how shit the ref is
He didn't say we lost because of him
The ref was shit and so were we well spotted
If you think the ref was good then fine say that

And if he has a problem with my response I’m sure he’s big enough to reach out for himself

It’s obvious what race has got to do with it.

Nobody, throughout this entire thread has said the ref was shit because he’s Asian. It has been suggested, on more than one occasion, that he has been promoted or fast tracked to the EPL, beyond his ability as a result of the PGMOLs well documented positive discrimination policy, which seeks to increase the number of minor ethnic match officials. A policy which hopefully will encourage people from the same communites, to aspire to become match officials.

That is surely an accurate and legitimate observation, it’s not in any way motivated by racism?

To reiterate the referee was shit, not because he was Asian, but because he has been prematurely promoted above his ability and experience.

And he really was Shit.
Trying to bring more Black and Asian Referees into the game at grass roots level would be commendable. Promoting people to fill race quotas is ridiculous and counter-productive. Why not simply promote the best qualified people?

Trying to bring more Black and Asian Referees into the game at grass roots level would be commendable. Promoting people to fill race quotas is ridiculous and counter-productive. Why not simply promote the best qualified people?
I assume one reason is because black and Asian people don't see many/any referees like them, so don't tend to try become officials themselves. They need more officials.

Based on that response it seems that you’re filling the ‘low IQ’ quota for the forum.
Few contenders on here for that mantle mate😂

Some odd viewpoints come out in times of crisis

We have a thread around the ref (who didn’t force Bogle to give away 2 pens)

And another for a GK less than 24 hours into his career (not the manager that played him)

some people need to find a scapegoat, and then dragging race into it’s a low blow too far

If folk dont understand this quota system, or perhaps haven’t experienced it in other areas of their own working life…then be assured it is a thing.

nearly ALL public sector departments have minimum numbers of jobs to fill with ethnic minorities, females, sexual orientation and so on.
It’s been the case for years and affords those minorities a “leg up” in many cases, or even not allowing white males to apply in some cases.
I recall such a policy in policing at one force being challenged and found to be racist and exclusionary, was well documented in the media.

It seems the FA and PGMOL have introduced a similar policy.
Sadly, while good in theory it does more harm than good if the persons promoted/employed aren’t good enough, for obvious reasons it undermines the policy and produces poor results.

It seems the theory that employment be based on ability is out the window. Maybe those questioning the poster as being racist or bigoted (which the comment wasn’t in any way if you know how racism is defined) should consider whether they think such a policy is a good idea when they are faced with someone in a critical that isn’t competent.
It’s a shame that in modern society everyone cannot be treated equally regardless of what box they tick, and if I was one who ticked a box different to white male I certainly would t want to have anyone thinking I’ve got a gig over someone better qualified or suited, I’d be embarrassed.
Earn it seems to be a thing of the past.

But he was crap. That’s a fact.

Bad enough that we have to play a very good side with Norwood and Osborn in our midfield without having a Ref that gave just about every decision in favour of Brighton. Maybe Mark Clattenburg has started something because when both our goals are scrutinised for about three minutes each and our players get yellow cards for nothing challenges you do start to wonder. All a Brighton player had to do was throw himself on the floor to get a foul FFS and the play acting and time wasting he allowed too from them. Marvellous how one minute their player is writhing in agony but can suddenly spring to his feet and run the first time the whistle isn't blown.
I was thinking today no matter what we do we were not going to be allowed to get a result today not that Brighton needed any help. It's plain to see for me the likes of Luton, Burnley and United are not wanted in the top division Leicester, Leeds and Southampton will be a much better fit. There is no such thing as a level playing field in the game today it is all about which clubs spend the most money, I'm about done with the game of football it is corrupt as fuck.

“The referee is poor because he is Asian” is a racist statement.

“The referee has been promoted above his means due to the PGMOLs published inclusivity strategy” is absolutely not.

It’s a debate that was had widely across the national media earlier in the season when Sam Allison and Rebecca Welch were given PL appointments. And it is a valid conversation to have.
Well said.

The referee was fucking awful. Promoted above his abilities, for some reason or another?

If folk dont understand this quota system, or perhaps haven’t experienced it in other areas of their own working life…then be assured it is a thing.

nearly ALL public sector departments have minimum numbers of jobs to fill with ethnic minorities, females, sexual orientation and so on.
It’s been the case for years and affords those minorities a “leg up” in many cases, or even not allowing white males to apply in some cases.
I recall such a policy in policing at one force being challenged and found to be racist and exclusionary, was well documented in the media.

It seems the FA and PGMOL have introduced a similar policy.
Sadly, while good in theory it does more harm than good if the persons promoted/employed aren’t good enough, for obvious reasons it undermines the policy and produces poor results.

It seems the theory that employment be based on ability is out the window. Maybe those questioning the poster as being racist or bigoted (which the comment wasn’t in any way if you know how racism is defined) should consider whether they think such a policy is a good idea when they are faced with someone in a critical that isn’t competent.
It’s a shame that in modern society everyone cannot be treated equally regardless of what box they tick, and if I was one who ticked a box different to white male I certainly would t want to have anyone thinking I’ve got a gig over someone better qualified or suited, I’d be embarrassed.
Earn it seems to be a thing of the past.

But he was crap. That’s a fact.
Racist! 😂

It’s obvious what race has got to do with it.

Nobody, throughout this entire thread has said the ref was shit because he’s Asian. It has been suggested, on more than one occasion, that he has been promoted or fast tracked to the EPL, beyond his ability as a result of the PGMOLs well documented positive discrimination policy, which seeks to increase the number of minor ethnic match officials. A policy which hopefully will encourage people from the same communites, to aspire to become match officials.

That is surely an accurate and legitimate observation, it’s not in any way motivated by racism?

To reiterate the referee was shit, not because he was Asian, but because he has been prematurely promoted above his ability and experience.

And he really was Shit.
His first league game was August 2022 in league two, if this doesn't give evidence for this nothing will. Awful ref just winging it like the fella the other week

Bad enough that we have to play a very good side with Norwood and Osborn in our midfield without having a Ref that gave just about every decision in favour of Brighton. Maybe Mark Clattenburg has started something because when both our goals are scrutinised for about three minutes each and our players get yellow cards for nothing challenges you do start to wonder. All a Brighton player had to do was throw himself on the floor to get a foul FFS and the play acting and time wasting he allowed too from them. Marvellous how one minute their player is writhing in agony but can suddenly spring to his feet and run the first time the whistle isn't blown.
I was thinking today no matter what we do we were not going to be allowed to get a result today not that Brighton needed any help. It's plain to see for me the likes of Luton, Burnley and United are not wanted in the top division Leicester, Leeds and Southampton will be a much better fit. There is no such thing as a level playing field in the game today it is all about which clubs spend the most money, I'm about done with the game of football it is corrupt as fuck.
This*.

Modern game is all about falling easy,when you get advantage by it all follow. Sad . That first pen was bad reffing. Standard was set . glad we rarely see our players do it. Some pride left. Could easily ended 5-5 today basrd on chances.

Clearly didn't go to the game then

I most certainly did. I'm just one that doesn't automatically call a referee shit if they don't give us every single 30/70 challenge and only blow for free kicks if people actually lose a limb

I assume one reason is because black and Asian people don't see many/any referees like them, so don't tend to try become officials themselves. They need more officials.
Good role models would no doubt be helpful, but surely incompetent ones are unlikely to help the problem.

Good role models would no doubt be helpful, but surely incompetent ones are unlikely to help the problem.
Depends how big the gap is between his level of competence and the others. PL and EFL refs get slaughtered after every other match. This bloke was awful today imo, but I think that fairy often.

I most certainly did. I'm just one that doesn't automatically call a referee shit if they don't give us every single 30/70 challenge and only blow for free kicks if people actually lose a limb
So you really didn’t think the ref was shit? Wow.

So you really didn’t think the ref was shit? Wow.

I didn't think he was anything special, but I don't think he made any major mistakes apart from the one Webster on McBurnie one I mentioned earlier in the thread, and even with that one he could have got help from his linesman given he was closer to the play. I've not seen anyone give any sort of concrete reason as to why the ref was shit, other than "well they've gone down quite easily after we've fouled them so therefore that we've fouled them should be ignored"

Today was a reminder of the gulf in class between the PL & Championship .. let’s be reyt we’ve never remotely had a go at competing at this level this season .. been a shit show from pre season to present .. the sooner the season is over the better .. but the owner has got his pay day ⚔️

I didn't think he was anything special, but I don't think he made any major mistakes apart from the one Webster on McBurnie one I mentioned earlier in the thread, and even with that one he could have got help from his linesman given he was closer to the play. I've not seen anyone give any sort of concrete reason as to why the ref was shit, other than "well they've gone down quite easily after we've fouled them so therefore that we've fouled them should be ignored"
Not one single person has said that though so maybe youre not best placed to judge seen as you are imagining things

The flow of the game was completely ruined by him.

How long was played in the first half around 57mins or more ??? 8mins added time about 5-6 mins on VAR trying to disallow our goals it wasn't just the ref that was shite the VAR interference was no better.

Today was a reminder of the gulf in class between the PL & Championship .. let’s be reyt we’ve never remotely had a go at competing at this level this season .. been a shit show from pre season to present .. the sooner the season is over the better .. but the owner has got his pay day ⚔️
Today was also I reminder to me why I've become to take it or leave it or not bother at all with the game these days. I'll start with the fact that we are not good enough to win against most teams in the Premiership and have no problems at all with that. As I've already said we are not good enough, but still, teams try to cheat us and the refs, VAR and anything else they can throw at us stick. We don't, and have never had a chance.

I don't mind losing. I've been going since the late 60's so seen it all.

What I really hate is all the cheating and VAR.

The number 29 for them today should have been sent off. You can make an honest miss timed tackle and get sent off, fair enough, but blatant cheating is allowed?

It seems? like every time we score VAR has to find a way to rule out our goal but not the teams against us?

The delays today when we scored were totally unnacceptable and I will find it hard to buy another season ticket.

Offside flagging....please don't get me started on that....

The flow of the game was completely ruined by him.

What? Brighton were playing some fantastic possession football and cutting through us really nicely at times. We were also putting some nice moves together with more direct balls into the channels. The game flowed fine - yes there was a lot of stoppage time, but that's absolutely nothing to do with the ref, he can't help players getting knocks and VAR looking at close calls. I really have no clue what you are saying here

Back
Top Bottom