Anel Ahmedhodzic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The odds of Traore contributing significantly were always low. It was said at the time that we hoped we’d stolen a march on others by gambling on his progress continuing following injury.

In reality we spent Championship money and hoped for Prem quality. That’s just so rare an outcome.

I think Luton spent better, wiser and quicker than us. Which feels slightly ludicrous given their recent ascent through the league pyramid.

Don't think its a great fee £10m to be honest. Leeds didn't pay that much less for Ethan Ampadu.

To me, "shambles" implies that the biggest problem was incompetence or poor decisions. I just don't think that's accurate. The lack of money dramatically limits the choices available to us. We certainly seem to have made some questionable decisions in the transfer market--Traore seems like the worst--but, again, when you don't have the money you're rolling the dice.

We need a new owner to take the next step. I'm just pessimistic about our chances of finding a good one and nervous that we'll end up with someone who really does serious damage to the club.

I think the starting XI in the first match of the season can only be described a shambles, indicative of incompetence and poor decisions. We were miles off being ready in every respect. As posted above, that Luton got their ducks in a row and we couldn’t is a little rum.

The odds of Traore contributing significantly were always low. It was said at the time that we hoped we’d stolen a march on others by gambling on his progress continuing following injury.

In reality we spent Championship money and hoped for Prem quality. That’s just so rare an outcome.
I assumed when we signed him that he was seen as one for the future, not one who was expected to contribute much this year. I was quite happy to reserve judgment on him until he’d played a lot more games for us. What’s concerning is that he looks too small to do much even in the Championship and that apparently we’ve now seen enough to ship him out after playing about 8 minutes of football. That’s really bad.

I think the starting XI in the first match of the season can only be described a shambles, indicative of incompetence and poor decisions. We were miles off being ready in every respect. As posted above, that Luton got their ducks in a row and we couldn’t is a little rum.
The team we put out was horrific. But the reasons for that are not simply incompetence and poor decisions. I wish it was that simple but it isn’t.

The start of the season was the equivalent of a young lad who has landed his first job, and decides to get royally pissed with his mates on Sunday night. He sleeps through his alarm, and rolls up late for his induction on his first day looking rough as fuck, with a slamming hangover. He then throws up on himself at lunch.

How not to make a first impression.

His Dad posts what any Dad would in support of their son.

Like most parents though, it omits the bit where he’s been more poor than not and some of the blame for our plight is on players expected to be reliable struggling, of which he has been one.

For him, going back down wouldn’t have been the worse. He’s looking to move to a weaker league to consolidate and get the cash that goes with it.

Some fair points raised about the club though. Trying to be sustainable when everyone else bar Luton are flying so close to the wind is a thankless task. It doesn’t make the Prince a bad guy but he’s clearly bitten off more than he can chew or, with McCabe being lost along the way, never intended to be quite in this position in the first place.

The team we put out was horrific. But the reasons for that are not simply incompetence and poor decisions. I wish it was that simple but it isn’t.

I think it’sl we a matter of interpretation the extent you attribute to the club and the extent to other factors, chance, etc.

My patience for excuses from and for the club’s leadership is exhausted!

I think it’sl we a matter of interpretation the extent you attribute to the club and the extent to other factors, chance, etc.

My patience for excuses from and for the club’s leadership is exhausted!
That’s fair enough. I’m out of patience with the whole situation, too, and 100% sympathetic to the frustration. And I’m really not trying to defend the ownership. I just think the problem is a lot bigger.

The first game he played reminded me of Borbokis’ first game in that it was obvious we weren’t going to be keeping hold of him for long. Both tapered off and Anel is either in poor form or isn’t arsed because we sold his pals in the summer and we’re now a shit excuse for a PL side.

Whilst Berge and Anel aren’t world beaters by any stretch, we would have a very good Blades team for 5 years or so with Anel-Berge-Ndiaye in the spine supplemented by other good players and some older heads.

We’ve only got ourselves to blame really if we end up without all 3.

Never thought we’d get to the Premier League and sell our three best players within 6 months, certainly a novel strategy for a newly promoted team (and one I imagine will never be tried again looking at the league table).

But that’s Sheffield United for you, managed to knock ourselves out before we’ve even stepped into the ring. 😂
Not the first time and won't be the last. At least not until we get that fairytale owner who understands supporters, has a fair amount of dosh, and appreciates that recruiting players with potential makes an awful lot of sense.

We're a bargain basement club, we pay far less in wages which in itself means we'll continue to struggle recruiting better quality players. Having said that, the potential's there. Even this season, with the signs early on that we'd struggle, we've had a consistent 28-30K attendance, and that's with relegation looming. Makes you wonder what an improved team and more points on the board might result in?

Knowing we could actually compete would only compound a belief that we're no longer a yo-yo club. I look at a team like Palace, good recruitment, no airs or graces, aware that each season they need to show the necessary attitude to maintain their Prem position, and yet here we are, little old SUFC, not even coming close to this type of fantasy.

As much as I'd like to see the back of the prince (I refuse to indulge his apparent status with a capital P simply because, well you work it out) I'm also mindful of who might replace him, and we've all seen examples of owners who behave like medieval Barons.

Don't think its a great fee £10m to be honest. Leeds didn't pay that much less for Ethan Ampadu.

10m toward our restructuring for a player that clearly wants out, that's the low ball figure 15m is the number...

At this stage we shouldn't be worrying about getting our moneys worth, it's the one area PA excels in..

10m plus a player coming the other way.

That sounds better doesn't it?

10m plus a player coming the other way.

That sounds better doesn't it?

We should at least be asking the question in regards to sending over a loan till the end of the season, or even a permanent signing on top of the cash...

Anel signed a 4 year deal until 2026 so not leaving this summer for free.

He's been gash this year so he's either lost interest or he's not PL quality.

The first game he played reminded me of Borbokis’ first game in that it was obvious we weren’t going to be keeping hold of him for long. Both tapered off and Anel is either in poor form or isn’t arsed because we sold his pals in the summer and we’re now a shit excuse for a PL side.

Whilst Berge and Anel aren’t world beaters by any stretch, we would have a very good Blades team for 5 years or so with Anel-Berge-Ndiaye in the spine supplemented by other good players and some older heads.

How would we have a good blades team for 5 years when Ndiaye and Berge would have fucked off in July and left us with zero return?

Absolutely. The notion of buying young/cheap and selling high - a la Brighton/Brentford relies on a strong spine, defined culture and a laser focused strategy. Otherwise you're just asset stripping.

We're doing it with a spine as strong as Stephen Hawking, the strategic thinking of Harvey Price and the culture of the Conservative Party.

Once again we're playing at it. Our only hope is Tufty straps the club to his back and carries us again. However, I'm not convinced his ego is as strong as last time....

To me, "shambles" implies that the biggest problem was incompetence or poor decisions. I just don't think that's accurate. The lack of money dramatically limits the choices available to us. We certainly seem to have made some questionable decisions in the transfer market--Traore seems like the worst--but, again, when you don't have the money you're rolling the dice.

We need a new owner to take the next step. I'm just pessimistic about our chances of finding a good one and nervous that we'll end up with someone who really does serious damage to the club.
Even then it’s not quite that simple as Newcastle are finding. PSR means that even with a richer owner our ceiling is still limited. That’s not to say that we wouldn’t be more sustainable in the PL just that it wouldn’t automatically mean we’re competing with the top six or anything approaching. We’d be a Palace at best which is an improvement on where we are but hardly jaw droppingly exciting

Even then it’s not quite that simple as Newcastle are finding. PSR means that even with a richer owner our ceiling is still limited. That’s not to say that we wouldn’t be more sustainable in the PL just that it wouldn’t automatically mean we’re competing with the top six or anything approaching. We’d be a Palace at best which is an improvement on where we are but hardly jaw droppingly exciting

They need to find more creative ways to cheat, then hire the best lawyers that a petro-state can afford.

I’d have liked to have kept Ndiaye but I think we’d promised him he could go if we got a bid of a certain sum. Keep him and we possibly have a slim chance of staying up, for a season. But then what?

Without spending tens of millions you’re us in the first PL season under Wilder or Luton this season. Get the right manager and the right team spirit and you can ruffle a few feathers…for a season. Luton ain’t in the PL to stay, are they?

I’m increasingly of the opinion that the job is fucked unless you land on a miracle owner like Brighton or Brentford have. Just spending money isn’t enough—see Forest, Everton, or Burnley. The owners of Brighton and Brentford aren’t just rich, they’re rich and have the right idea of how to run a club. Owners like that are like hen’s teeth.

I see a lot of comments along the lines of “if we’d done this deal a bit quicker/bought this player instead of that player/spent a few million more” then somehow we’d be in a different situation. I don’t think it’s accurate, sadly.
Agree with your points although I do think our use of the loan market was very flawed. With limited funds for transfers, we needed to make much better use of the loan market and bring in 3 or 4 signings that would improve our starting 11. Only McAtee has, not withstanding BBD and the impact he may have.

Didn't we give Liverpool first dibs on him if we accept a bid as part of the Brewster renegotiation when we went into a embargo? Maybe we are trying to get them to up the bidding

Dreadful management from those at the top when it comes to getting the squad and contracts in order. Other than Anel and Hamer, we have barely any sellable players who we could profit out of.

All well and good in hindsight around who should have been offered deals earlier i.e. Ndiaye but there was no foresight towards the end of their contracts and the possible implications, knowing perfectly well that anything other than promotion would have seen us skint sooner than we will inevitably be for as long as the current regime are at the helm.

All I can assume is that Prince and co assumed that they'd have been bought out by now and be long gone but of course that's not the case. Not as if people are falling over each other to buy the club either. Our value will be lowering by the week. Prince needs to cash out now before we end up like Reading or Bolton - clubs that have flirted with the top half of the PL only for financial incompetency to send things crashing down.

We had the makings of a decent team if we'd kept Ndiaye and done a deal for Tommy Doyle. Berge I could live with losing but not to just go to Burnley and be relegated with them instead. Clearly someone with ideas above his station and likewise Anel who was great last year but when it comes to getting your hands dirty and actually doing more in the way of defending, he's been found lacking when playing against top quality players which he's shown himself not to be at this level.

Instead we've wasted money on Traore, Larouci and Slimane and giving John Fleck a new deal instead of putting it towards the wages of retaining someone better (Ndiaye). Foreign gambles can wait until we're in a position to afford to gamble which we can't. We're not Chelsea harvesting foreign youngsters willy nilly and sending them out on loan with no hope of them ever playing a game for the first team.

We needed players who would improve the starting XI immediately when in reality, the only players to have done that are Archer, Hamer (to an extent) and Brooks who we produced ourselves. Trusty has been ok too. Souza hot and cold. McAtee was essentially already here.

Wilder needs to wave his magic wand and hope for some points deductions and a Brentford implosion because otherwise it's looking a bit bleak.

This is exactly it. This is the realization that has dawned on me in the last couple of year and it’s why I’ve gone from being someone who was very keen for this owner to leave to someone who thinks the problems are much bigger.

If Anel goes, we’ll need to address GK and defence fairly promptly with signings in January, contract renewals and more investment in the summer. Currently Wes, Davies, Egan, RND, Lowe, Bash, Bogle and Baldock are out of contract. I think Sachdev has renewed now?

Lots of work to be done.

Yes also offer them at gunpoint
You don’t need to hold people at gunpoint if you make a compelling offer, this includes pay, performance and selling the vision of the club.

It’s hard to sell a vision when we seemingly don’t have one.

Sheffield United are viewed as a stepping stone for players to improve their wages and chance of success. Until we are at the pinnacle we will
Never be able to offer suitable wages to enable us to keep top quality players. Especially when our owner admits he is not wealthy enough to support us as some seem to think he should

Haaland sees Manchester City as a stepping stone to Real or Barca eventually.

Man Utd couldn't keep Ronaldo while they were still winning things in the late 2010's

However we can have a stronger hand and get more by doing well. If we were 16th we would be able to ask far more than hopelessly stuck bottom.

You don’t need to hold people at gunpoint if you make a compelling offer, this includes pay, performance and selling the vision of the club.

It’s hard to sell a vision when we seemingly don’t have one.
None of this had anything to do with Ndiaye and Berge leaving and solving all of those problems wouldn't have made keeping them any more likely.

Ndiaye chose to leave despite us offering the biggest contract in our history. It must have been a decent offer because he agreed to it! Only a gun to the head from Marseille changed that.

I'm not sure what more can be done for this to be understood. Perhaps the only thing that would've changed anything is being promoted in the first season under PH, having a good season in the PL, staying up, and being out of Marseille's reach.

Berge refused to sign a new deal despite months of talks. We rightly decided to recoup some value from a player. I don't give a fuck where he's gone or whose vision he's bought into. Our problem was losing a potentially valuable asset for nothing and we solved that problem.

Back
Top Bottom