Referee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I thought he let them get away with too much alehouse stuff, but that is hardly unique. We have tended to struggle against these sort of teams, e.g. Millwall, Birmingham, particularly when referees don't clamp down on it. I didn't think he was noticeably worse than some of the chumps we have had this season, but the praise from certain media outlets is laughable, particularly over the "advantage " when he clearly just didn't give the penalty.

Fair, but we cut players some slack when they don't exactly shine on their debuts. I've seen players run around like headless chickens on their debuts, and people on here are "caused the defenders some real problems".

I think the ref was ok today, it was his top flight debut, so I'll give him a few games before I'll assess whether he's good enough for the premier league. But plenty have decided he's out of his depth already. And it's not his fault if the media give him undeserved praise.

I thought the ref was fine. He let a lot go both ways but was consistent with it. Sick of us blaming other factors for our own inadequacies. Not sure there was anything that significant he got wrong or really impacted on the result?

People are blaming him for giving a corner, instead of blaming the players for failing to deal with it. It's not like he gave out a daft red card, or a penalty for 'intent'.

I thought the ref was fine. He let a lot go both ways but was consistent with it. Sick of us blaming other factors for our own inadequacies. Not sure there was anything that significant he got wrong or really impacted on the result?

Aside from the corner kick that wasn’t and the constant buying into Luton players going down with no contact for free kicks breaking up our playing rhythm and the assaults on McBurnie. I accept the latter is a shithouse and sometimes tries to con referees but I believe he was hard done by today.

Fair, but we cut players some slack when they don't exactly shine on their debuts. I've seen players run around like headless chickens on their debuts, and people on here are "caused the defenders some real problems".

I think the ref was ok today, it was his top flight debut, so I'll give him a few games before I'll assess whether he's good enough for the premier league. But plenty have decided he's out of his depth already. And it's not his fault if the media give him undeserved praise.
Agree. I'm happy to cut him some slack as he is Wayne Allison's cousin. He could have been fast tracked because he is an ex pro, for instance, or because he has excelled at lower levels, but he should be held to the sane standards as everyone else.

Agree. I'm happy to cut him some slack as he is Wayne Allison's cousin. He could have been fast tracked because he is an ex pro, for instance, or because he has excelled at lower levels, but he should be held to the sane standards as everyone else.

Was he fast tracked? He's been reffing for 13 years I think. He made his EFL debut 3 years ago. Maybe he's risen quickly from EFL to premier league because he's a good ref, that suffered prejudice early in his career? Dunno.

Do we? 🤣🤣🤣 (Not laughing at you, rather noting how savage some of our fans can be for new players starting slowly)

On the basis of today the ref is not up to it. Hopefully it was a bad day at the office and it's the exception for him rather than the rule. If he continues in this vein I hope he is demoted accordingly.

I don't understand why the media are giving him undeserved praise, its very strange.

Err the corner they ultimately scored from? Handing a side like Luton a free corner is a bigger gift to them than most.

It's a corner. Statistically unlikely to score from one.

Whilst that's true they are statistically far more likely to score from one than they are from an opposition goal kick.

It wasn't just that he got it wrong, it was how, in that he was so far from the play and just guessed and didn't want to a) give a foul or b) give a goal kick and not the foul.

It smacked of cowardice and weakness.

But they ultimately did score from it. Like goalkeepers, if a ref makes a mistake that leads to a goal they have to accept the criticism. Fuck me, give a side like Luton a corner against us, it’s only slightly better than a penalty…

The reporting of his performance on the BBC & The Guardian are shameful and smack of the 2023 cancer of wokeism. He had an average game at best. He got away with it for out goal, poor decision for the (non) corner for Luton’s equaliser, and no idea how no Luton players got booked for persistent fouling - they got away with murder at times. I am not exactly McBurnies biggest fan, but I thought he was very hard done by today.

I don’t care if the refs are black, white, men, women, straight, gay….. I just want them to be appointed on merit and to then be reported on fairly based on their actual performance.

But they ultimately did score from it. Like goalkeepers, if a ref makes a mistake that leads to a goal they have to accept the criticism. Fuck me, give a side like Luton a corner against us, it’s only slightly better than a penalty…

It was a bog standard corner which we failed to deal with, and the 2nd phase cross wasn't even that good.

The reporting of his performance on the BBC & The Guardian are shameful and smack of the 2023 cancer of wokeism. He had an average game at best. He got away with it for out goal, poor decision for the (non) corner for Luton’s equaliser, and no idea how no Luton players got booked for persistent fouling - they got away with murder at times. I am not exactly McBurnies biggest fan, but I thought he was very hard done by today.

I don’t care if the refs are black, white, men, women, straight, gay….. I just want them to be appointed on merit and to then be reported on fairly based on their actual performance.
"Wokeism" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 farks sake 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Whilst that's true they are statistically far more likely to score from one than they are from an opposition goal kick.

It wasn't just that he got it wrong, it was how, in that he was so far from the play and just guessed and didn't want to a) give a foul or b) give a goal kick and not the foul.

It smacked of cowardice and weakness.
Not according to some on here if you believe their beliefs in Wes and his kicking skills

Not against us surely.
Was he fast tracked? He's been reffing for 13 years I think. He made his EFL debut 3 years ago. Maybe he's risen quickly from EFL to premier league because he's a good ref, that suffered prejudice early in his career? Dunno.
I genuinely don't know enough about how refereeing promotions work. He was only added to the championship list at the start of this season, but it is possible that he could have excelled.

Not against us surely.

I genuinely don't know enough about how refereeing promotions work. He was only added to the championship list at the start of this season, but it is possible that he could have excelled.

The grading goes from top to bottom with 7/8 being the bottom when not training. Not sure if you can still but you used to be able to fast track to 4 which takes you from park football to County leagues and assistant referees at level 3 ( National league North/South/National) then assessments, fitness tests all the ways to level 1 then it’s a select group selected by different groups for EFL/PL or FIFA/UEFA for their competitions.

Is this where we're at? Trying to blame a 3-2 home defeat to Luton on the referee because of a corner?

Corner or not we absolutely gifted three goals to a side that didn't create a clear cut chance on their own. We undid any of the good work in that second half. The ref wasn't the problem. He was a standard referee. No better or worse than any of the others. He wasn't biased. We lost that game on merit.

It was a bog standard corner which we failed to deal with, and the 2nd phase cross wasn't even that good.
It was also an officiating mistake that lead to a goal. I was responding to Deadbat saying he’d (the ref) not made any major errors. That one was a howler and had a clear impact on the game. Of course, we defended appallingly but that’s sort of my point, an error of that nature gifted to a side that good at set plays, and against a side weak at defending crosses, is going to have a bigger impact.

I just find it incredible that VAR spent 3 minutes looking at our goal when there was no obvious infringement, yet it was clear the corner award was a clear and obvious error. I’m sure I’ll be told it was a different phase of play, but that just compounds, rather than excuses the error. That’s the bullet VAR continually fires into its own foot, it inserts itself and delays the game at times, looking for something and yet dozens of clear, obvious big calls aren’t corrected.

TL-DR The corner shouldn’t have been awarded and it’s frustrating that VAR doesn’t correct these errors.

Speaking to someone who knows Howard Webb, who says he is a premiership referee in spite of being crap.
wonder what the reason for that is in the PC world we live in

It was also an officiating mistake that lead to a goal. I was responding to Deadbat saying he’d (the ref) not made any major errors. That one was a howler and had a clear impact on the game. Of course, we defended appallingly but that’s sort of my point, an error of that nature gifted to a side that good at set plays, and against a side weak at defending crosses, is going to have a bigger impact.

I just find it incredible that VAR spent 3 minutes looking at our goal when there was no obvious infringement, yet it was clear the corner award was a clear and obvious error. I’m sure I’ll be told it was a different phase of play, but that just compounds, rather than excuses the error. That’s the bullet VAR continually fires into its own foot, it inserts itself and delays the game at times, looking for something and yet dozens of clear, obvious big calls aren’t corrected.

TL-DR The corner shouldn’t have been awarded and it’s frustrating that VAR doesn’t correct these errors.
It's an error granted but only seems a bigger error as we cannot clear two crosses into our box. It does not even come from the original corner.

It's not a direct error that they score from. A fair bit happens after that. We simply need to clear the ball. We head it into our own net.

I'm just kind of sick and tired of United fans picking out officials when we are bottom due to ourselves.

If anything we have had a fair few decisions go our way (Wolves pen/Villa pens) recently. These were far more impactful mistakes than a wrongly awarded corner.

It just looks desperate and a bit pathetic.

People are blaming him for giving a corner, instead of blaming the players for failing to deal with it. It's not like he gave out a daft red card, or a penalty for 'intent'.
If he hadn't given a corner it would mean that he thought Baldock didn't get the ball (and not just the man) which would have meant a foul and a free kick to Luton in an equivalent position to the corner.

Speaking to someone who knows Howard Webb, who says he is a premiership referee in spite of being crap.
wonder what the reason for that is in the PC world we live in

Is it because he's black? because I think you're trying to imply it's because he's black, so you may as well just grow some fucking balls and say it, rather than wrapping it up in 'someone else's opinion'.

This thread man. The ref was average. He was an average standard referee in a dog shit bottom end game.

Same posters implying the same tired racist tropes.

It's an error granted but only seems a bigger error as we cannot clear two crosses into our box. It does not even come from the original corner.

It's not a direct error that they score from. A fair bit happens after that. We simply need to clear the ball. We head it into our own net.

I'm just kind of sick and tired of United fans picking out officials when we are bottom due to ourselves.

If anything we have had a fair few decisions go our way (Wolves pen/Villa pens) recently. These were far more impactful mistakes than a wrongly awarded corner.

It just looks desperate and a bit pathetic.
But you would say that
As you don't have anything positive to say about your own side
Ever

I personally think it is because he is black and appears others think the same,
fed up with all this bollox about being seen to be doing the right thing. People in any walk of life should gain promotion or access to jobs because of their ability, which has nothing to do with this pc bollox of the world we live in.
Is that big enough bollox for you !!
his career path and levels of achievement as a referee do not warrant his promotion to being a premiership referee.
But in spite of him being bad at his job, that in my opinion is not the reason we lost.

I personally think it is because he is black and appears others think the same,
fed up with all this bollox about being seen to be doing the right thing. People in any walk of life should gain promotion or access to jobs because of their ability, which has nothing to do with this pc bollox of the world we live in.
Is that big enough bollox for you !!
his career path and levels of achievement as a referee do not warrant his promotion to being a premiership referee.

Can a black man not succeed on merit. Does it always have to be positive discrimination?

Jarred Gillet was promoted to the EPL after 2 seasons in English football. But then again, he's a fucking immigrant. Another tick in the box for the wokerati right, or fine bacause he's white?

i was taken by surprise by the booing as well, i didnt think it merited it. i thought in comparison he was alright, we've had far worse than him in the 12 months. yeah he let luton be a bit physical, with holding mcburnie but then how can we complain at luton, when we were doing the same

i think it was scapegoat for angry fans to vent frustration. when they should vent it on the defending that cost 3 pts again

Back
Top Bottom