1963-64 (60 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nice try, but I now have evidence of the conspiracy. Norman Curtis, not my favourite Wednesday player, was manager of Buxton, and ‘generously’ offered Utd the services of Des Thompson. No wonder it all went so wrong!
Incidentally, one of the consequences of the collapse in United’s form was that I have always been convinced since that November is a bad month for Utd. But now, in 2023, we are unbeaten in the last 2 games, and have moved up the league table today without any matches being played. I will have to stop worrying about November.

Des Thompson still hadnt signed for us and at one point it looked like Brian Arblaster (Ollie's grandad) was to be given the keeper's jersey for the match at Fulham despite having played only 5 reserves games.

View attachment 174830
View attachment 174831
This is torture, making me re-live that November! I had forgotten that Arblaster was in line for a game, and the problems with Des Thompson’s benevolent fund. And we didn’t have a Woodward or Jagielka to play in goal! Off the top of my head, I can’t remember an instance of an outfield player going in goal in an emergency from that era. All I remember is naively assuming that a decent goalie would be signed.

21/11/1963

Des Thompson re-signs for the Blades and has the keeper's jersey for the match at Craven Cottage.

Thompsonsigns.jpg
Thompsonsigns1.jpg
Thompsonsigns2.jpg

This is torture, making me re-live that November! I had forgotten that Arblaster was in line for a game, and the problems with Des Thompson’s benevolent fund. And we didn’t have a Woodward or Jagielka to play in goal! Off the top of my head, I can’t remember an instance of an outfield player going in goal in an emergency from that era. All I remember is naively assuming that a decent goalie would be signed.
I think Mick Hill went in goal in a match at the Lane can't remember who against but I think Hodgy had a dislocated thumb and couldnt continue ! Memory at bit vague but I think it was a dislocation.
Apt name you have Hodgy !

I think Mick Hill went in goal in a match at the Lane can't remember who against but I think Hodgy had a dislocated thumb and couldnt continue ! Memory at bit vague but I think it was a dislocation.
Apt name you have Hodgy !
It was Woodward against Leeds in November 1967. Mick Hill scored the only goal of the match.

Keep the reserve programmes coming. I’m enjoying seeing who my Dad played against as he was coming to the end of his career at full back for the Blades reserves.
Thanks for letting me know. I don’t think I have many more new ones to post. I will keep looking looking out for anything that might interest you.

Weren't we top of the old Division 1 table when JFK was assassinated

Up to that point, I had thought of Woodward as nesh, but he seemed a different character in goal. He really was pretty good (for a winger!)
Yes Hodgy ! Woody was a little nesh in his early days and didn't seem to get wired in.
I would say our 1st season after relegation was the year Woody grew up it was as though he had been fed on raw meat ! Really hungry and must have been a nightmare to play against as he was 2 footed
Could cross or shoot with both feet.His ability to cross the ball from almost impossible positions really set him apart from any winger of that era.
Blades strkers knew he could land it from anywhere and watching him as a fan was just amazing with him whipping crosses and shot from what would be called impossible positions.
The ball was different then and seeing what players do with it today ! Very few players could what Woody did then.

One defeat, and down from top to fifth all in one go, with Wednesday suddenly just 2 points behind us into the bargain. AND ALL BECAUSE WE BROUGHT IN DES THOMPSON TO REPLACE HODGY! But looking at those reports, it looks as if he was the least of our problems, and that we really should have beaten a 10-man Fulham side. After 60 years, I will probably begin to recognise that many factors were involved, and that even without the injuries, we would not have won the League…
And I hope this coming weekend helps me ditch another myth I have believed for many years - that we are fated to do badly in November. A win and a draw in the last 2 games, moving up the League without playing a game last week… if we can just beat Bournemouth on Saturday…

Of the big photo, I saw the Wagstaffs, Badger, Jones, Widdowson, Mallender, Sherman, Woodward, Cliffe, Shaw B

Yes Hodgy ! Woody was a little nesh in his early days and didn't seem to get wired in.
I would say our 1st season after relegation was the year Woody grew up it was as though he had been fed on raw meat ! Really hungry and must have been a nightmare to play against as he was 2 footed
Could cross or shoot with both feet.His ability to cross the ball from almost impossible positions really set him apart from any winger of that era.
Blades strkers knew he could land it from anywhere and watching him as a fan was just amazing with him whipping crosses and shot from what would be called impossible positions.
The ball was different then and seeing what players do with it today ! Very few players could what Wood
Still the best corner taker ever imo

One defeat, and down from top to fifth all in one go, with Wednesday suddenly just 2 points behind us into the bargain. AND ALL BECAUSE WE BROUGHT IN DES THOMPSON TO REPLACE HODGY! But looking at those reports, it looks as if he was the least of our problems, and that we really should have beaten a 10-man Fulham side. After 60 years, I will probably begin to recognise that many factors were involved, and that even without the injuries, we would not have won the League…
And I hope this coming weekend helps me ditch another myth I have believed for many years - that we are fated to do badly in November. A win and a draw in the last 2 games, moving up the League without playing a game last week… if we can just beat Bournemouth on Saturday…
Remember. It’s the hope…….etc

Still the best corner taker ever imo
think he scored at least 2 direct from a corner, Newcastle at home in the League Cup ( I think), and Festuh away first season after promotion 1971 when we were top of the first division.

think he scored at least 2 direct from a corner, Newcastle at home in the League Cup ( I think), and Festuh away first season after promotion 1971 when we were top of the first division.
4 times. Newcastle (h) Sept 69, Leicester (a) Sept 71, Coventry (h) Nov 71, Norwich (h) Jan 73

Used to stand directly in line with the flag (John st) when he took corners, Colquhoun & Flynn flying in!

Keep the reserve programmes coming. I’m enjoying seeing who my Dad played against as he was coming to the end of his career at full back for the Blades reserves.
Apologies for messing up the time sequence, but I thought you might be interested in 3 programmes from a range of seasons:
IMG_6205.jpegIMG_6206.jpegIMG_6207.jpegIMG_6208.jpegIMG_6209.jpegIMG_6210.jpeg
And finally, one from the end of the Big Freeze, where I would welcome your view on whether your father’s autograph is genuine. I have no memory of getting these autographs, so whether my brother got them, or someone gave us this programme, I have no idea. To add to the mystery, the extra signature (on the Everton team sheet) bears a strong resemblance to the signature of a 15-year-old me!
IMG_6211.jpegIMG_6212.jpeg

Used to stand directly in line with the flag (John st) when he took corners, Colquhoun & Flynn flying in!
might be before your time but woody used to plant corners on to mick jones head who would start his run at the corner of the 18 yard box best of which was the headed jones goal against man utd boxing day at the shoreham end it nearly broke alex stepneys net lol

might be before your time but woody used to plant corners on to mick jones head who would start his run at the corner of the 18 yard box best of which was the headed jones goal against man utd boxing day at the shoreham end it nearly broke alex stepneys net lol
Just before I started going, used to go to first team with dad and some with a mate, county cup etc

Back
Top Bottom