Vinicius Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Been saying it for ages now, our scouting team are the root of all evil and we have no chance of making any real progress until they are replaced.
Easier said than done I know but I doubt we could get anyone worse than this lot.
I agree, people often say Wilder signed some shit Hecky signed some shit etc etc.. Our signings are Paul Mitchell signings, he scouts the players, he puts together a dossier and videos on players, he then convinces the manager that a certain player would be perfect for our club. That’s his job that’s what he does.

Time for a change, if and when a new manager comes in and there is a staff clear out we need to start with the scouting team. We need new ideas and new eyes on potential players.

Okay Yokuslu (West Brom)
Josh Laurent (Stoke)
Lewis Travis (Blackburn Rovers)
If they're so good why aren't they playing in the PL?

FWIW I like Travis a lot, but the other 2 are a bit meh. I wouldn't say they're better than Souza by any stretch.

Not sure what people are really expecting from him. He was bought in to be a bit of a shit house in midfield. He's never been a technically gifted player but if we neglect technical ability, for big lads who can put a challenge in then what do you expect? Our fans constantly cry about not signing big scary lumps like him so we can bully the oppo and then moan when big lumps can't skin a couple of players and aren't quick. Can't have it all.

He's 3rd in the prem for tackles so he is clearly offering something despite his suspect performances. More worrying than that is he's had more touches and passes than Hamer yet Hamer seems to have gone totally without criticism. I'm not defending Souza, I just think this is pretty much what I expected from him, basic but can tackle. If we are signing players from a relegated club in La Liga who their fans say is a donkey then the recruitment team should be under serious heat for this decision. For me our recruitment has been very poor and Traore, Slimane (maybe this one is a tad harsh), Souza, Larouci, Thomas are setting our club up for long term failure. Huge amounts of wasted money on champ/league 1 players.

I think he has shown small moments of potential but overal he has lots to improve on. Ultimately his tackling is bringing a lot to the team but his limitations are just 1 issue amongst many within this bodged squad. Hecky and recruitment team I think have a lot to answer for.
View attachment 174569

Doesn't even tackle according to some.

If they're so good why aren't they playing in the PL?

FWIW I like Travis a lot, but the other 2 are a bit meh. I wouldn't say they're better than Souza by any stretch.
I'm just looking at options that beat what we've got. The 3 I've named have all held down their positions in the championship, we really can't be confident that Souza would based on what we've seen so far.

Call me nieve but I thought the challenge on him was worthy of a VAR review and the awarding of a penalty. Clearly kneed him in the back.

Agreed. I reckon if that happens to an Arsenal or Man Utd player it goes to VAR.

Their player had no reason to lead with his knee into his back.

Bear in mind what Hamer was in the championship compared to now.
I'm not trying to excuse the lad completely, he definitely does need to step up more. But I think having to work alongside Norwood and Souza in the Prem is a tall order for anyone.

I'm not trying to excuse the lad completely, he definitely does need to step up more. But I think having to work alongside Norwood and Souza in the Prem is a tall order for anyone.
Could you not have the same argument in favour of Souza? He's hardly in a functioning midfield or indeed infront of a settled back line at the moment, can't be easy

Could you not have the same argument in favour of Souza? He's hardly in a functioning midfield or indeed infront of a settled back line at the moment, can't be easy

Souza's job is literally to get stuck in, be a hard bastard and disrupt the opposition, then get the ball and give it to Hamer or whoever. As a team that is defending plenty, he should be more visible and effective than he is.

The attacking players are reliant on the more defensive players regaining possession and distributing it to them, and that's more on Souza and Norwood than Hamer as I see it.

I'm not employed as a football scout, however those who are should have earned their money and come up with someone.
What if they don't exist for the money we have available? Like any other position we have the option of buying players that are proven at lower levels, knowing they aren't likely to be up to PL standard, or buy youngsters with the potential to step up. We've gone with the youngsters, they've found Souza, he might have turned out to be great. It's always a gamble.

Souza's job is literally to get stuck in, be a hard bastard and disrupt the opposition, then get the ball and give it to Hamer or whoever. As a team that is defending plenty, he should be more visible and effective than he is.

The attacking players are reliant on the more defensive players regaining possession and distributing it to them, and that's more on Souza and Norwood than Hamer as I see it.
Is it? Who says?

I loved the signing of Hamer, I think he's being horrifically utilized

Davies and Hamer as two box to box with Cousin Vinnie elbowing cunts and McAtee gliding around was probably the plan.

But snipers get bored.

Is it? Who says?

There were times at Brighton when he ghosted past their defence on the edge of the area that I really hoped he would let one loose on goal.

Is it? Who says?

100%.

He was a DM at Coventry. He has all the tools to be a great B2B midfielder, but a winger/forward?? An absolute waste of our best player.

Osborn made a huge difference when he came on for Souza because bringing on a lower Championship level midfielder alongside Norwood was a huge upgrade on what Souza was offering. Now imagine if Hecky would just try playing arguably the best midfielder in the Championship last season there.

Hecky trying to turn Hamer in Ndiaye is going to get him fired.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but he has also covered more distance than any other United player this season - about 10km more than Norwood (who I think is the bigger issue in midfield).

1. Souza - 106km
  2. Robinson - 101km
  3. Norwood - 96km
  4. Hamer - 95km
  5. Anel - 82km
He might be good at running ( slowly) but he's just not good enough at this level. He was to blame for Brightons goal, there player just glided past him like he wasn't there.

id like to see souza and hamer start but definetly hamer and one other
why hecky insists on starting norwood every week when he was past it 3 years ago only he knows

I'd like to see Hamer replace Souza in the DM role but with a bit more of a license to be mobile and go box-to-box.

Souza has done nothing to shore up our midfield this season and similarly offers nothing in attack. We play with two sitting midfielders and are still a soft touch and regularly uoverrun.

Osborn, limited though he is, showed that a bit of extra mobility in there can help.
Something (a lot of things) need to change and the middle of the park looks a good place to start.

I'd like to see Hamer replace Souza in the DM role but with a bit more of a license to be mobile and go box-to-box.

Souza has done nothing to shore up our midfield this season and similarly offers nothing in attack. We play with two sitting midfielders and are still a soft touch and regularly uoverrun.

Osborn, limited though he is, showed that a bit of extra mobility in there can help.
Something (a lot of things) need to change and the middle of the park looks a good place to start.
Souza isn't the DM. Norwood is. Hamer and Souza are being deployed as LCM and RCM respectively and that wide-CM role doesn't do either of them any favours.

When Ahmedhodzic is back we need to go to 4-4-1-1. Souza and Hamer in central midfield; McAtee ahead of them. Bogle and Larouci as defensive wingers.

Yes the midfielder that's been past his sell by date for a few years needs to be moved on from as a starter.

£25 million of midfield signings out of their natural position to accommodate Norwood is stupid.
We start three central holding midfielders across the midfield, play Souza on the right of it and Hamer on the left when neither are naturals there.
The lambasting of Souza (and the expectation of him to "shore it up" when we've shifted his position to the side and expected him to adapt to a new country and level is unjust. If you take those points into account I don't think he's been bad and him and Hamer should be the future given their contract lengths in that position and should be the priority to play in their position, even if it just to recoup the outlay.

Souza isn't the DM. Norwood is. Hamer and Souza are being deployed as LCM and RCM respectively and that wide-CM role doesn't do either of them any favours.

When Ahmedhodzic is back we need to go to 4-4-1-1. Souza and Hamer in central midfield; McAtee ahead of them. Bogle and Larouci as defensive wingers.
I hope the idea is that souza can supporf the weaker defensively bogle and not natural RCB in george rather than just fitting square pegs in round holes

Absolutely spot on. In the earlier games Norwood sat deep and Souza and Hamer were moving box to box.

Has Souza been consistent no? He is not slow as people make out. He put in a terrific tackle chasing back against Wolves.
It may be that he can be a bit too casual and not tuned in.

Hamer is a decent player and has a good attitude. DM looks like his best position. But our injuries and recruitment mean we are short in forward midfield positions.

Just to point out, there is a lot of revisionist history going on in the forum. Regarding Ndiaye generally we all agree he is a loss due to his creative ability.

Berge is being touted as being more impactful than he really was. I have seen plenty of examples where he did not show for the ball as he should.

Brewster and McBurnie proven in the championship. Brewster has proven nothing at any level since he joined us.
McBurnie not great but by no means the worst.

We are squad wise a championship team and will have to fight hard for every point. We are going to lose more than we win and while some of the performances have been poor or inconsistent. It's the squad we have. I thought Thomas an improvement on Larouci and Lowe. Not brilliant but improving. Souza playing deeper with Hamer and not Norwood may suit both better.

I've seen Souza and Norwood as more of a defensive double pivot. A role which they don't perform well.
If you're telling me he's playing wide right then he should be getting up and down and showing some ability on the ball... which he's not doing.

Yes the midfielder that's been past his sell by date for a few years needs to be moved on from as a starter.

£25 million of midfield signings out of their natural position to accommodate Norwood is stupid.
We start three central holding midfielders across the midfield, play Souza on the right of it and Hamer on the left when neither are naturals there.
The lambasting of Souza (and the expectation of him to "shore it up" when we've shifted his position to the side and expected him to adapt to a new country and level is unjust. If you take those points into account I don't think he's been bad and him and Hamer should be the future given their contract lengths in that position and should be the priority to play in their position, even if it just to recoup the outlay.

It probably is unjust. New country, poor, struggling team, different system etc... and I don't want to lambast him, but he's been brought in to do a job that he's not performing.
It was a dumb strategy signing so many young foreigners and expecting them to hit the ground running, it rarely happens.

I'm not writing him off ever succeeding, he has bits & pieces to his game which show some promise, but we need to try to address that area of the pitch and I'd like to see what it would look like without him for a period of games.
Ultimately, we have to do what's right for the team and that will mean upsetting one or two.

Hamer played the DM role for Coventry to great effect, why not have a look at it? Could solve a couple of problems, might not.
If we persist how we are we're going down. Might as well try a few things.

I can understand the Souza comments re his ability on the ball etc but lack of defensive awareness not so much? He’s been essentially defending on his own in midfield and the numbers back that up, problem occurs when he wins the ball and can’t do anything with it which is probably why Norwood is next to him, 1 to win the ball the other to play it - we need someone in there that can do both. No idea who that would be but we don’t have that player at the club FE1EC2CD-D632-43D1-9A42-2448B21B47D7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom