Vinicius Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Defensively toxic. Everything falls apart around him and surely it’s starting to dawn on the management how many problems stem from this player.

The improvement in our team after he was replaced by Ben Osborn was as clear as a bell.

Can’t cover ground and the more I see of him the more you realise how many of his tackles stem from situations where he should’ve been holding shape and standing his ground.

That’s all before even mentioning his lack of quality and intelligence on the ball.

Drop. Immediately
We said the same about Basham when he first arrived. Look how that turned out ;)

Give him a season to acclimatise.

Not just me then.
Not the player I was expecting at a cost of £10m from La Liga, Brazilian Heritage.

His mobility is akin to Dean Hammond.
Ability with the ball on a par with Monty.

Dreadful piece of business, especially when you consider that the rebuild in the summer was with an eye to having a competitive squad in the likelihood of relegation. What exactly would a non creative player be useful for in a team that would be expected to dominate and open teams up having had the advantage of premier league money?

Smells like a player bought solely on stats on the instruction of someone who’s never really watched him actually play. Bit like a computer game signing.
He offers very little to this squad. Surrounded by superior talent where the job is to protect them and break up the odd counter attack when possession is rarely lost then yes…maybe he would have a use. But we needed quality on the ball to be a top priority in all areas of the pitch.
And the whole recruitment based on that was shocking.

I assume Slimane has to get much better at football. He started games pre season, he didn't even get a start in the cup against Lincoln despite being on the bench. Hecky has suggested that he's tactically not up to it and needs to learn.

as though we actually have any tactics.

We've had just two Brazilian players in our 134 year history. They happen to be the two worst Brazilian footballers of all time. We sure know how to find 'em. The Blades way!

It's where the blades have to do there shopping unfortunately.

The attitude is all wrong. If a signing we made in the summer is actually up to PL standard whoever picked them out deserves a medal. We should expect them to end up being like Souza. Paying that sort of fee for a player with his background is always going to be a punt.
We clearly needed to sign a quick, athletic midfielder. For some bizarre reason we spent 10 million on someone completely opposite.

Not sure what people are really expecting from him. He was bought in to be a bit of a shit house in midfield. He's never been a technically gifted player but if we neglect technical ability, for big lads who can put a challenge in then what do you expect? Our fans constantly cry about not signing big scary lumps like him so we can bully the oppo and then moan when big lumps can't skin a couple of players and aren't quick. Can't have it all.

He's 3rd in the prem for tackles so he is clearly offering something despite his suspect performances. More worrying than that is he's had more touches and passes than Hamer yet Hamer seems to have gone totally without criticism. I'm not defending Souza, I just think this is pretty much what I expected from him, basic but can tackle. If we are signing players from a relegated club in La Liga who their fans say is a donkey then the recruitment team should be under serious heat for this decision. For me our recruitment has been very poor and Traore, Slimane (maybe this one is a tad harsh), Souza, Larouci, Thomas are setting our club up for long term failure. Huge amounts of wasted money on champ/league 1 players.

I think he has shown small moments of potential but overal he has lots to improve on. Ultimately his tackling is bringing a lot to the team but his limitations are just 1 issue amongst many within this bodged squad. Hecky and recruitment team I think have a lot to answer for.
Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 09.50.35.png

Not sure what people are really expecting from him. He was bought in to be a bit of a shit house in midfield. He's never been a technically gifted player but if we neglect technical ability, for big lads who can put a challenge in then what do you expect? Our fans constantly cry about not signing big scary lumps like him so we can bully the oppo and then moan when big lumps can't skin a couple of players and aren't quick. Can't have it all.

He's 3rd in the prem for tackles so he is clearly offering something despite his suspect performances. More worrying than that is he's had more touches and passes than Hamer yet Hamer seems to have gone totally without criticism. I'm not defending Souza, I just think this is pretty much what I expected from him, basic but can tackle. If we are signing players from a relegated club in La Liga who their fans say is a donkey then the recruitment team should be under serious heat for this decision. For me our recruitment has been very poor and Traore, Slimane (maybe this one is a tad harsh), Souza, Larouci, Thomas are setting our club up for long term failure. Huge amounts of wasted money on champ/league 1 players.

I think he has shown small moments of potential but overal he has lots to improve on. Ultimately his tackling is bringing a lot to the team but his limitations are just 1 issue amongst many within this bodged squad. Hecky and recruitment team I think have a lot to answer for.
View attachment 174569

I expected him to be far more athletic. I thought he'd at least get up and down the field and be a presence who can spoil play. I take on board the stats you've posted but I don't remember him making many important tackles or winning 50/50 balls. I don't think he's shown to be a shithouse yet either. I don't think he slows the game down by making snide challenges or anything.

It's still early and in terms of physique, he should be good at this level. So far though he reminds me of a cross between James Harper and Mikele Legitwood. I'm not quite sure how he's played every game this season (where he's been fit) when we've been so poor in midfield. Would we improve without him? Maybe not but when the midfield are getting ran through week after week then surely we should try something different.

Amazing how different people see the game.
I like Souza and think Norwood being sat on his toes isn't helping. Norwood was as bad yesterday and miles worse against Wolves, should've been hooked on 60 mins (hindsight for the penalty).

I think them going down to 10 is what helped make us look better when Osborn came on, not that change itself.

View attachment 174569
The only thing I can think is he's Brazilian so people expect a Bruno Guimares regen.

When in reality in Brazil unless you're a forward, you're a ball busting shithouse.

I expected him to be far more athletic. I thought he'd at least get up and down the field and be a presence who can spoil play. I take on board the stats you've posted but I don't remember him making many important tackles or winning 50/50 balls. I don't think he's shown to be a shithouse yet either. I don't think he slows the game down by making snide challenges or anything.

It's still early and in terms of physique, he should be good at this level. So far though he reminds me of a cross between James Harper and Mikele Legitwood. I'm not quite sure how he's played every game this season (where he's been fit) when we've been so poor in midfield. Would we improve without him? Maybe not but when the midfield are getting ran through week after week then surely we should try something different.
I don't really want to defend him too much if i'm being honest. I agree with lots you have said there as well. I'm just trying to be balanced. He could be more athletic, he could use his size better, he could be a more progressive passer and try and carry the ball more but sadly we haven't purchased a player who has none of those attributes. We've bought a player who is a bit of a basic midfield disrupter, his tackling stats surprised me as well so I think i have to give him some credit there but there are definitely lots of the rest of the game where big improvements can be made at this level.

I think again this comes down to more wasted money that the recruitment team and manager have spent. I feel like he's another Osborn, Robinson, Egan type player but just because he's brazilian and come from abroad we've over spent on him. Our expectations, because of the price paid & nationality is greater than his ability. I think the main blame is not the player who is likely trying their best but more the recruitment team for wasting 10 million on averageness.

I don't want to write him off already, same with Hamer, but both need to sort their shit out.

The only thing I can think is he's Brazilian so people expect a Bruno Guimares regen.

When in reality in Brazil unless you're a forward, you're a ball busting shithouse.
100% this

If he had an English name he would getting pelters.

I think he will be better in a slower division in Championship.

View attachment 174569
I know stats don't tell the whole story, but he has also covered more distance than any other United player this season - about 10km more than Norwood (who I think is the bigger issue in midfield).

1. Souza - 106km
  2. Robinson - 101km
  3. Norwood - 96km
  4. Hamer - 95km
  5. Anel - 82km

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but he has also covered more distance than any other United player this season - about 10km more than Norwood (who I think is the bigger issue in midfield).

1. Souza - 106km
  2. Robinson - 101km
  3. Norwood - 96km
  4. Hamer - 95km
  5. Anel - 82km
great stat! 👏

and also eye opening for all those saying he's lazy! Again he's not clear of criticism and his style is 'lazy' but his statistics tell you he's really not the biggest issue here. He's clearly trying. People who are criticising his tackling and athleticism and lack of effort might have to have a bit of a rethink.

He’s absolutely no where near this level , slow , ponderous on the ball & he has the positional sense of a fkg pinball . The only reason I can think he picks him is for his height for defending set pieces due to us generally being team largely made up of midgets but he’s even shite at that
I thought Berge was slow for a big lad but Souza makes him look like Usain Bolt , I can only think Mitchell & the scouting team watched him in a Bible Class Division 8 game or have taken a Cloughesque brown envelope to sight him ?
Been saying it for ages now, our scouting team are the root of all evil and we have no chance of making any real progress until they are replaced.
Easier said than done I know but I doubt we could get anyone worse than this lot.

Back
Top Bottom