U21/S

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Smashing goals in for fun and look at the players not involved.. (injury/loans/first team)

Amissah
Wharton
Boyes
Potter
Barrett
Freckleton
Neal
Arblaster
Maguire
Brooks
Peck
Osula
Jebbison
Marsh

I thought he scored but it was along time ago and my memory is not as good as it was happy to stand corrected.
Blocked effort against Palace in his 15 minute cameo. Decent movement to get the shot away but little chance of a goal.

Scroll back 15 seconds to see Wilfried Zaha not getting sent off for something which he really should have been given the modern interpretation of the laws.

EDIT: highlights from United's channel (which don't include the Zaha raised hands)

So who did hackford score against? I can definitely remember him playing a game under wilder and scoring.

So who did hackford score against? I can definitely remember him playing a game under wilder and scoring.
Hackford didn't make any other appearances under Wilder after coming on against Palace. Unless he scored in a preseason friendly (which I have vague recollection that he may have done) your memory is playing tricks on you :)

Looking forward to see if this lad can have a good impact. Players like Hackford are great at knocking in goals at junior level, but he seems too small in stature and robustness for grown up football?
Hackford is a lot bigger than I thought he was. I saw him for the first time in a youth cup game against Southampton and he looked to be nearly 6ft, but google suggests he's 5ft9?

Hackford didn't make any other appearances under Wilder after coming on against Palace. Unless he scored in a preseason friendly (which I have vague recollection that he may have done) your memory is playing tricks on you :)
Believe me it isn't the first time i think!

Hackford is a lot bigger than I thought he was. I saw him for the first time in a youth cup game against Southampton and he looked to be nearly 6ft, but google suggests he's 5ft9?
He must have been playing with big academy lads when I last saw him playing for one of the academy sides. He looked tiny by comparison.
Due to my location, I only see the games through a tv lens. My bad if I’ve got it wrong. Apologies. 🙈

Seen L1 sides have comfortably won tonight in the cup against the Manchester clubs u21s. Age aside I thought they'd give em better games with the talent they surely have?

Barnsley 3-1 Man C
Bolton 8-1 Man U

It just brought to my attention because our strongest u21 side I would fancy em to give L1 teams a game?

Amissah

Barrett Potter Freckleton

Sachdev Peck Arblaster Brooks Boyes

Marsh Osula

Seen L1 sides have comfortably won tonight in the cup against the Manchester clubs u21s. Age aside I thought they'd give em better games with the talent they surely have?

Barnsley 3-1 Man C
Bolton 8-1 Man U

It just brought to my attention because our strongest u21 side I would fancy em to give L1 teams a game?

Amissah

Marsh Osula
I think you overestimate their ability.

Arblaster is doing well, no doubt.

Amissah had a very up and down stint with Burton.

That back threw are playing three levels below and I don't have the impression that Potter is doing as well as last season at Barnett.

Boyes is holding his own by the looks of it at Wycombe. Peck had injuries and he didn't set the world alight on loan at Oldham, Brooks I'm really not sure of at all, he always seems a bit too casual to me and Sachdev has had hardly any senior experience.

Marsh and Osula perhaps could give it a go though Osula was in and out at Derby and Marsh is playing a level below.

But I do admire your optimism 😉

Barnsley 3-1 Man C
Bolton 8-1 Man U

Amissah

Marsh Osula

Only Arblaster has really shone at L1 level. Boyes is in and out at Wycombe, Osula and Amissah weren't first choice at Derby and Burton.

Of the rest only Marsh has started a professional game. I think it would struggle in L2 let alone L1 myself.

I think you overestimate their ability.

Arblaster is doing well, no doubt.

Amissah had a very up and down stint with Burton.

That back threw are playing three levels below and I don't have the impression that Potter is doing as well as last season at Barnett.

Boyes is holding his own by the looks of it at Wycombe. Peck had injuries and he didn't set the world alight on loan at Oldham, Brooks I'm really not sure of at all, he always seems a bit too casual to me and Sachdev has had hardly any senior experience.

Marsh and Osula perhaps could give it a go though Osula was in and out at Derby and Marsh is playing a level below.

But I do admire your optimism 😉

Only Arblaster has really shone at L1 level. Boyes is in and out at Wycombe, Osula and Amissah weren't first choice at Derby and Burton.

Of the rest only Marsh has started a professional game. I think it would struggle in L2 let alone L1 myself.
Basically no one really knows. Many of fans call for a lot of these players to be in the squad in the championship when they're winning 6-0 every week in the u21s 🤦‍♂️

JT89 I see pipes up on the u21s thread again with no decent reply like you two, then again on this subject he knows zero f all like he's proved in the past 😅👍

Basically no one really knows. Many of fans call for a lot of these players to be in the squad in the championship when they're winning 6-0 every week in the u21s 🤦‍♂️

JT89 I see pipes up on the u21s thread again with no decent reply like you two, then again on this subject he knows zero f all like he's proved in the past 😅👍

I'm only judging on what we know about these kids in terms of league experience. I'd guess that at least half won't make a career in the professional game. It's just the way it is especially at a Cat 2 academy.

I'm only judging on what we know about these kids in terms of league experience. I'd guess that at least half won't make a career in the professional game. It's just the way it is especially at a Cat 2 academy.
Most are still too young to even know the future outcome but there's some internationals in our u21s and I only ever hear positive things.

Loans don't usually work out in terms of performances, goals etc etc, more for gaining experience. Harry Kane had about four loans and wasn't that great before his spurs debut.

I reacted without replying because you're post was nonsense, you pointed out that Cat 1 academies struggled against L1 sides, then made a ridiculous claim that our Cat 2 academy would give L1 teams a decent game.

It's clear from a lot of your posts you massively over-rate our U21s, yes some of them may well go on to have really good careers at a high level, but currently as a collective they wouldn't be anywhere near competitive in L1.

As for the U21s being something I know "zero" about, I wait most of our U21s games either online or in person and have previously played academy and non-league football and my dad is an ex-pro... so I do have a decent understanding of the difference between various levels.

In recent times our u21s have done really well in the league they play in which is of course great for them and if you take that on it's own then it's brilliant for that part of the club to be doing well and winning often, but you don't seem to understand where they're at when it's put into the context of football as a whole. So yes, enjoy their success, but don't make claims such as they'd do better against L1 teams than Man City/Utd u21s.

Have to agree. Having been to Stockport v Wrexham (in Lg2) on Saturday the standard is actually very good, the players fit, string and athletic.

Barry on loan from Aston Villa was the standout but arguably he's better than any of our current under 21s.

Barnsley 3-1 Man C
Bolton 8-1 Man U

Amissah

Marsh Osula
Surely this is further evidence of the gap between youth football and first team football

I remember reading an article by Dave Bassett explaining that having a youth side who won every week doesnt mean that there would be one player who would have a long 1st team career. He said one season the Wimbledon youth side were winning games every week but none in the squad went on to play for the 1st team. In another season the Wimbledon youth team were conceding 5 goals almost every week and Brian Gayle was a regular in that side but he went on to play over 400 league games (his clubs were Wimbledon, Man City, Ipswich and us)

Have to agree. Having been to Stockport v Wrexham (in Lg2) on Saturday the standard is actually very good, the players fit, string and athletic.

Barry on loan from Aston Villa was the standout but arguably he's better than any of our current under 21s.
Really , thought most of their players were a little ropy :)

Back
Top Bottom