What's your dullest anecdote about meeting a footballer?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Driving back from my son's football training on Saturday I left room from the car in front at the junction of Rushly Road and Dore Road to allow Anel to cross the road. He did one of those little jogs. He'd been to the Co-Op. My window was down and my son was wearing his Utd kit in the back, I thought about saying/shouting something to/at him, but decided it'd be uncouth.
Need to keep this one quiet. Especially the "he did a little jog". He's supposed to be injured ;)

I once walked behind both George Long and Simon Moore on Fulwood/Manchester Road, when I lived up there. I suspected that they both did too (i'd seen them individually on other occasions around Broomhill). Moore confirmed that they lived at Tapton Court on the Sheff Utd Way podcast, so my expert detective skills were correct.

Never spoke to them, although Simon Moore once nearly ran me over on the junction of Glossop and Westbourne Road and I was about to shout "what the fuck are you doing" (or words to that affect), but didn't when I saw it was him.

Saw Wilder around Broomhill a fair amount too. I once said hello to him, when he was out with his missus/mates in the Fox & Duck. Met him after a Hallam FC game, but can't really recall what I said, as I'd had a few beers by that point (as had he!).

Saw Peter Ndlovu in Allsports in Wimbledon when I was about 13. No idea why he was there as he was playing for us at the time and it was the middle of the week. My friend approached him to ask if he was Peter Ndlovu and he said “yes”. I said I was a Sheff Utd fan and shook his hand. He had a really soft handshake.

Once whilst working out in Australia, early eighties, met Mick Channon in a bar Newcastle NSW. He was playing for Newcastle KB United (since changed their name) in the close season making extra dosh to help pay for his racing horses.
Told me as a young player he disliked playing at BL due to the cricket field at the side (pre 1973)
Funny thing was I was drinking with a alcoholic Scotsman - when he realised it was Channon he shot off sharpish

Channon gave me a ticket to watch Newcastle v Sydney Olympic where I met Tommy Docherty who was managing Sydney at that time

Saw Peter Ndlovu in Allsports in Wimbledon when I was about 13. No idea why he was there as he was playing for us at the time and it was the middle of the week. My friend approached him to ask if he was Peter Ndlovu and he said “yes”. I said I was a Sheff Utd fan and shook his hand. He had a really soft handshake.
He may have been wearing his trademark woolly gloves?

About 16 years ago I worked at the Subway in Broomhill and sold Michael Tonge a six inch meatball and a bag of quavers.

Also sold a footlong BMT to Chris Waddle.

Around the same time had a long drunken chat with Keith Gillespie in the smoking area at the O2, back when it was the Carling Academy. He was dressed as a pirate for the players' Christmas party but had got separated from them. He bought my partner a rose with a £20 note and didn't even ask for change. Really nice guy.

I used to deliver Colin Morris's milk on a Saturday and collect the money on a Monday evening.

Colin occasionally answered the door. I did try and mention 'the match' occasionally, but he'd just smile then get his wife to pay.

This was early 80s, so when she came to the door with a baby in her arms, I probably saw Lee Morris too.

What do I win for my 'two in one' spot?

Around 1985 or 86 I worked in Maidstone. A guy I worked with was a massive Chesterfield fan who had connections with Chesterfield s board. He got us tickets to sit in the boardroom seats at Gillingham when they played Chesterfield.
We were in the players lounge afterwards and Tony Cascarino was at the bar having a drink. At the time I'd never heard of him but he was pointed out as a rising star. I have a vague memory of him drinking and talking with Steve Bruce, but that could be a false memory as Bruce had left Gillingham the season before I think.
I didn't speak to either of them.

Around 1985 or 86 I worked in Maidstone. A guy I worked with was a massive Chesterfield fan who had connections with Chesterfield s board. He got us tickets to sit in the boardroom seats at Gillingham when they played Chesterfield.
We were in the players lounge afterwards and Tony Cascarino was at the bar having a drink. At the time I'd never heard of him but he was pointed out as a rising star. I have a vague memory of him drinking and talking with Steve Bruce, but that could be a false memory as Bruce had left Gillingham the season before I think.
I didn't speak to either of them.
That's a terrific story 👌

About 16 years ago I worked at the Subway in Broomhill and sold Michael Tonge a six inch meatball and a bag of quavers.

Also sold a footlong BMT to Chris Waddle.

Around the same time had a long drunken chat with Keith Gillespie in the smoking area at the O2, back when it was the Carling Academy. He was dressed as a pirate for the players' Christmas party but had got separated from them. He bought my partner a rose with a £20 note and didn't even ask for change. Really nice guy.
Didn't realise subways were around then?

a thread that’s called the dullest moment… is just asking for trouble

What's he doing at home, should be owt training, he's a bit behind at present.:(
Memo:- Talk Hecky.:)
Poor kid can't win, in #872 above he's getting done for going out for a light jog 🤣

Poor kid can't win, in #872 above he's getting done for going out for a light jog 🤣
Oh! he'll be reight when he gets his moj working.
Disconcerting really as he's normally on top of his game, but at the moment I feel he's just off his best.
It could be the step up, or bedding in with new players but sure he will come up to scratch.

Oh! he'll be reight when he gets his moj working.
Disconcerting really as he's normally on top of his game, but at the moment I feel he's just off his best.
It could be the step up, or bedding in with new players but sure he will come up to scratch.
Could be, or could've been nursing this injury for a while 🤷🏼‍♂️

Could be, or could've been nursing this injury for a while 🤷🏼‍♂️
If Anel is playing with an injury, SHAME on the managerial team. Isn't that's why substitutes were brought into the game all those years ago.
Wonder if he misses Berge? A good outlet when under pressure.
Alfie Ringstead said it of Jimmy Hagan. "If in a tight corner and couldn't see a solution, look for Jimmy, give him the ball, he would have an answerer".

If Anel is playing with an injury, SHAME on the managerial team. Isn't that's why substitutes were brought into the game all those years ago.
Wonder if he misses Berge? A good outlet when under pressure.
Alfie Ringstead said it of Jimmy Hagan. "If in a tight corner and couldn't see a solution, look for Jimmy, give him the ball, he would have an answerer".
I believe that "managing" injuries is quite common in the game.

Went to the Three Magpies at Brinsworth as a kid where Colin Morris & Joe Bolton were in attendance.

Colin Morris offered us some sandwiches.

The other highlight of the evening was putting that song, Toe-Knee-Black-Burn by Binky Baker on the jukebox.

Knocked on a young Paul Tomlinson‘s door on Halloween when I was about 11 (1985 ish). “What do you want for a treat?” he said. I asked for his autograph. He seemed flattered and invited me in. Chatted in the kitchen with him and his girlfriend for a few minutes. They were both lovely. Made the mistake of reminding him how close he came to saving a penalty away at Barnsley the previous Saturday. His girlfriend gave me a look as if to say - why did you have to go and bring that up. He held his head in his hands. It was a conversation killer and I left

Last edited:
I believe that "managing" injuries is quite common in the game.
It's very common in real life, anyone with a physical job will tell you that.
"Do I have a day off and loose a days pay, or do I not" and risk making my injury worse, thus loosing more than a days pay. It's LIFE.

I know this only appears to be me but Anel came into United and for half a dozen games looked every inch a Premier League player, then he drifted off that standard don't get me wrong he's still good but he's been at this level for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom