Match Thread Derby County v. Sheffield United - 29th July 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good work out,more minutes in the legs..Stand outs for me were Sander(on&off the ball)..Slimane(first half in particular),and Illy,Anel and Furious
Osula needs a goal,hoping he comes good...Our left side was unproductive going forward,slightly better 2nd half..Only a friendly,but good to get the win.

It was a typical pre season game. You can't read too much into it. First 20min both teams were poor. Then we picked it up scored and were on top until final 5 minutes of the half.

Second half we were second best for most of it. When we scored again they fell apart.

Berge did some good things and he seems fitter than last season and the form he showed in the last few games of the championship seems to still be there. A rolls

Best game of the pre-season. Massive take away - on that showing, we're hugely favouring the right. Slimane has shown how much we need a quality, left footed, midfielder and Lowe/Boz can't combine to become greater than the sum of their parts.

After the dirty twat Hourihane left one on one of our players someone should have had a word in his ear that they would snap him in two if he did it again. He did it three times at least in the game before George lost it with him. We need to toughen up the Prem is full of sneaky little bastards that use the dark arts.

He's missed chances every game this pre-season. On the one hand it's good he's getting into positions to score, but worrying that he can't find the back of the net against senior teams. This is where Jack Lester and others will truly earn their money if they can help him transition from junior to senior football.
I truly hope he makes it along with Jebbo usually we would cash in but i think Osula needs a championship loan see how he goes. Agree good to see the chances but needs to convert some of them asap unless Beni comes good quickly ?? ..UTB

After the dirty twat Hourihane left one on one of our players someone should have had a word in his ear that they would snap him in two if he did it again. He did it three times at least in the game before George lost it with him. We need to toughen up the Prem is full of sneaky little bastards that use the dark arts.
I worry that Jack I's a walking red card twice today shirt pulling against L1 opposition imagine that against Kane or Salah can't afford cheap red cards already up against it 11 v 11 ..UTB

Very entertaining 45 mins that.
Game played at a high tempo by both teams.
Derby had some good moments and I think they’ll do well this year.
Slimane looks real class. Berge is moving well and the front boys are looking slick.
Despite all the flack Osborn has played well too.
Baldock looks more and more like an International player.
The only disappointment is Lowe. Looks lightweight again and has no end product.
All in all a good run out.
Stadium looks great too. Totally wasted in tier three. Get thi’ sens up Derby.
We have known for ages that Lowe isn’t up to PL but we’ve not seen replacing him as a priority unless PH thinks Larouci will start ahead of Lowe once he’s settled in

Osula couldn't finish his dinner could have had a hat trick if he can't score against a L1 team what chance in the Prem, yes it's pre season but could have played himself into contention against Palace. Jebbo scores goals I'm really unsure re Osula ...UTB.. on reflection a few on the pitch couldn't score in Birds of Paradise
Where is Jebbo today ?

Second half thoughts;

Sluggish at times but finished well.
We really are vulnerable down our left side. Poor goal should have been closed down for the cross.
Had a five minute wobble good save from Wes and they miss a free header from a corner.
Osula gets into good positions but really needs a goal for his confidence.
Slimane really good all round performance.
Berge defensively did very well. Are we now seeing the real Berge in his favourite position?
Lost count of the number of times Robinson and Osborn checked back when in possession slowing the attack down.
Baldock what a competitor. Gets riled by a foot left in late, which they were allowed to do by a weak ref all match, then runs the length of the field to blast the ball in with his left foot.
Bash new role for him on the right in the middle? great interception, stumbled pass then sublime finish from Ndiaye.
Ndiaye on a different planet to all the other players on the pitch.
Very good work out against a Derby team who should do well in league 1.
Osborn cannot be our midfield threat on the left - he literally doesn’t know how to transition up the field - both Fleck & he should never start and Fleck shouldn’t be in the 20 , although Osborn might be in it due to ability to play LB.

I worry that Jack I's a walking red card twice today shirt pulling against L1 opposition imagine that against Kane or Salah can't afford cheap red cards already up against it 11 v 11 ..UTB
We all know that a LCB is required for the starting eleven

Osborn cannot be our midfield threat on the left - he literally doesn’t know how to transition up the field - both Fleck & he should never start and Fleck shouldn’t be in the 20 , although Osborn might be in it due to ability to play LB.
No he can't. He was constantly by passed and outmuscled when not in possession of the ball to-day. When in possession he preferred to check back too much slowing down our progress up the field.

We need to re fit the whole of the left side of the team at LWB, LCB, LM and LAM as to-days lack of progress and defensively frailty down the left showed. A fit RND, new 6 foot 3 plus LCB, O'Brien from Florist and getting Mcatee back on loan would solve all that. Unfortunately we don't have the cash to achieve it so I expect Osborn to start against Palace unless we get a number of deals over the line in the next 10 days.

Good work out,more minutes in the legs..Stand outs for me were Sander(on&off the ball)..Slimane(first half in particular),and Illy,Anel and Furious
Osula needs a goal,hoping he comes good...Our left side was unproductive going forward,slightly better 2nd half..Only a friendly,but good to get the win.
Osula barn door

Berge defensively did very well. Are we now seeing the real Berge in his favourite position?

I agree Berge did some good work defensively in the second half, but he's played in the central midfield position a number of times for us before and been massively underwhelming. All his best games have come when he's pushing forward on the right of a midfield three.

Back
Top Bottom