Brewster - McAtee replacement?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brewster might come good but I can't get on board with it being as anything other than a striker. He was really poor at pretty much everything you'd want a creative player to do last season when compared to other championship forwards - shot-creating actions, passes attempted, pass %, progressive passes, take-ons were all some of the lowest in the league vs his peers.

The only things he did well were shoot a lot, get touches in the box and also work hard (defensive metrics decent). And to his credit those numbers were all high the season before as well before he got injured when I think a lot of us were talking about him potentially having turned a corner. Leave him up front and hope he can be fully fit for an entire season and maybe give us 5-6 goals.

View attachment 161341

A good case made in return, Beans. Sadly, I’m not sure Brewster will play enough games for us to find out either way. But here’s hoping.

When I watch Brewster well the brief glimpses he shows promise when he’s fit

He should be aiming to be the next jermaine defoe , Small fast and got a strike to die for IMO

He’ll come good if he stays fit imo , will he though ?

If I was united I’d get him to sign a new contract and get him into Ligue 1 or the eredvise

If balogun can score 20 goals for Reims then Brewster can do that also

The worst thing we can do is bench him 10 minutes here and there not getting match fit and breaking down every other month

Do you have any examples apart from the assist at Swansea? I must be missing something.

He needs a loan to the Championship or League 1 club to perk up his confidence, definitely not being a starter for us in a position he's never played before.

I was one of the few that went to the Burnley game last game of the relegation season first game back after Covid

And I though fuck me what a player he could be

Since then he hasn’t caught a break IMO

This pre-season is key for Brewster. If he's fit and starts putting it in the onion bag then maybe, just maybe . . . . . confidence goes a long way

I still have no idea how good or not so good he is, what level he can play at etc
Certainly no where near Iliman in terms of pace, skill and affecting a game
Could be another Woodburn for all we know

Nice input here Blades, not getting the impression we're too convinced on him being a CAM creative type, reading i do wonder though if he might become a Didzy style deep lying forward in light of his technical and physical capabilities (limitatons).

Nice input here Blades, not getting the impression we're too convinced on him being a CAM creative type, reading i do wonder though if he might become a Didzy style deep lying forward in light of his technical and physical capabilities (limitatons).
Not fit to lace Didzy's boots. I bet Derby wouldn't have him in their team ahead of Didzy next season.

Not fit to lace Didzy's boots. I bet Derby wouldn't have him in their team ahead of Didzy next season.
not saying he is or ever will be... my point was that i think he might end up playing a similar role, a striker who brings it from deep and spends his time on the edge of the box

not saying he is or ever will be... my point was that i think he might end up playing a similar role, a striker who brings it from deep and spends his time on the edge of the box
Hopefully he can fulfil this role for another team, he certainly isn't good enough to get into our team in the PL in any position.

Not to drive the point into the ground, but if this season proves anything it is that we are perfectly fine without him.

He'll be banging them in from everywhere, that much is true.

He's not got the same ball carrying ability as McAtee. Not many do though.
Could Bogle do a mcatee dribbling role? Bogle is pretty nifty running forward with the ball and making intricate passes around their box (but defensively has never convinced me playing RWB / RB).

Brewster a McAtee replacement?! I very much doubt it. Assuming fit and able to play then I would say he's ideal for a team on the counter to hoof it over the top and for him to run through with his pace. Like he did against Swansea. He does better when he attacks the ball and finishes from within the six yard box, most of his goals for Swansea (same with McBurnie) were close range finishes when coming onto the ball. We don't seem to do that as much, often probably because teams sit deep and playing with full backs as wing backs often means they lack the confidence/skill to take a man on to get to the by line and pull the ball back to onrushing striker. It's not easy doing a one-two either due to number of low block from opposition teams. In the PL hopefully we'll be able to hit teams on the break more and for this reason only Brewster may be of use next season but personally I would loan him out because likely he'll get injured again.

I don't ever seem him in the McAtee role; he hasn't got the guile of McAtee. In essence Brewster reminds me in some ways of Burke. Great physical qualities but lacks a football brain/makes wrong decisions/composure. The cross into the stand from the byline at Luton last season was the most obvious example of this, others are where he just hoofs shots over the ball as he tries to hit everything with maximum pace a lot, although granted I've seen him finish well for the Under 21's with England.

I'm not even factoring Brewster in to anything, he is a career sick note I'm afraid...if he gets fit it will be a matter of time until he is crocked again. He might have a career at L1/L2 level but I suspect he will drain us dry on wages and disappear Jordan Slew/John Cofie style as one of those players that woefully fails to fulfil their potential.

I hope I'm wrong.

For me, Ndaiye is the natural CAM behind a dynamic and pacy front 2.

When I watch Brewster well the brief glimpses he shows promise when he’s fit

He should be aiming to be the next jermaine defoe , Small fast and got a strike to die for IMO

He’ll come good if he stays fit imo , will he though ?

If I was united I’d get him to sign a new contract and get him into Ligue 1 or the eredvise

If balogun can score 20 goals for Reims then Brewster can do that also

The worst thing we can do is bench him 10 minutes here and there not getting match fit and breaking down every other month
The problem is what sort of contract would we offer him? He's still got 2 years left on a very lucrative contract, so we shouldn't match or improve on that. So why would he sign a lesser contract? I'm afraid we're stuck with him and he's going to go down as the worst transfer in United's history.

Hopefully he can fulfil this role for another team, he certainly isn't good enough to get into our team in the PL in any position.
I wouldn't speak too soon, we just don't know what his potential is. Stranger things have happened... look at League Two Enda playing a pivotal role from L1-PL with us, or pretty much any of the other lads in Wilder years stepping up. He seems determined and committed which goes a long way, could turn out to be the next Ivan Toney for all we know

I wouldn't speak too soon, we just don't know what his potential is. Stranger things have happened... look at League Two Enda playing a pivotal role from L1-PL with us, or pretty much any of the other lads in Wilder years stepping up. He seems determined and committed which goes a long way, could turn out to be the next Ivan Toney for all we know
Toney - bet you a tenner he doesnt

Brewster has no footballing brain and his reading of the game is atrocious. I don’t know how you’ve connected him in any way whatsoever with a clever little player like James Mcatee

With McAtee leaving a CAM shaped whole in the midfield when we deploy 2x attacking mids, it got me thinking about options in the squad

Step up young Rhian? despite his lack of goals, he has looked decent on the ball, and is one of few players we have that can hit it from a distance hard and on target

Could he be an answer to what we’re looking for in that position? A front 3 of either Ndiaye/McBurnie/Brewster/Berge/Jebbison and a new goalscoring striker to pick from could be pretty decent?
Depends what target you have in mind.

If we want to stay up we can't be banking on a striker that scores once every 15 games.

If we are resigned to being relegated but want to develop a team that can yoyo back up, and have some battle hardened youngsters with prem experience for a championship assault that is a different matter, but that didn't have a very good effect on Brewster last time.

If he is in need of fitness and a run of games as a striker loan him to a lower champ club who will take half of his wages and play him. If he does a Swansea recall him but I can't see it happening. It's a win-win
Well we can If he's the only one we've got

Brewster a McAtee replacement?! I very much doubt it.

Agree.....the difference is in brief moments.....McAtee shows moments of class.....bit of a poor man's Phil Foden.
He's inconsistent but shows he's capable of creating goals during seconds of brilliance. Hence why Man City won't allow him to be sold just yet.

Where as in brief moments Brewster shows moments of quality....but he's never hit the heights of McAtee.
Brewster shows glimpses that he might have the potential to be a Premier League player but the issue now is what would be his best position
because he's not greedy enough to be a scorer, his first thought seems to be he wants to play a pass, a bit of a poor mans Didzy.
Also Brewster could even have a penalty and you still wouldn't feel confident, just doesn't seem to have the mentality of a goal scorer to me.
He'd probably make a good 5 a side player, decent ability but not sure where you would play him in an 11 a side game.

My prediction and you see it happen so often....is he'll do a Ched Evans.
No....I don't mean he'll end up in the slammer.....I mean he'll continue to be underwhelming during virtually all his contract.
Then........yes you've guessed it......in the final months of his contract he'll play like Kareem Benzima
and all our fans will be saying.....we must keep him....give him a big pay rise....pay him whatever he wants.

Brewster a McAtee replacement?! I very much doubt it. Assuming fit and able to play then I would say he's ideal for a team on the counter to hoof it over the top and for him to run through with his pace. Like he did against Swansea. He does better when he attacks the ball and finishes from within the six yard box, most of his goals for Swansea (same with McBurnie) were close range finishes when coming onto the ball. We don't seem to do that as much, often probably because teams sit deep and playing with full backs as wing backs often means they lack the confidence/skill to take a man on to get to the by line and pull the ball back to onrushing striker. It's not easy doing a one-two either due to number of low block from opposition teams. In the PL hopefully we'll be able to hit teams on the break more and for this reason only Brewster may be of use next season but personally I would loan him out because likely he'll get injured again.

I don't ever seem him in the McAtee role; he hasn't got the guile of McAtee. In essence Brewster reminds me in some ways of Burke. Great physical qualities but lacks a football brain/makes wrong decisions/composure. The cross into the stand from the byline at Luton last season was the most obvious example of this, others are where he just hoofs shots over the ball as he tries to hit everything with maximum pace a lot, although granted I've seen him finish well for the Under 21's with England.
Brewster is very much a head down and shoot striker, wherever he is on the pitch. He has a good shot but won't create much.

I think the clue with Enda was that he was good in L1 and the Championship before he did well in the PL. Brewster could do with dropping to L1 and building himself back up that way. He certainly hasn’t shown anything to say he’ll be a decent PL player since he signed.

If we’re relying on anything other than benchwarming from Rhian Brewster next season then we will be sorely disappointed. He has done a tad more than fuck all for us, and only a small tad. If he comes good then fine. But he won’t.

I think until there is a change of ownership and investment, the message to Heckingbottom from the board has been the money is in the squad and it's his job to get the best out of it. We can see the work put in with McBurnie and there was clearly an improvement in Brewster, but we didn't get to see how far that could go. The important thing, is he was starting to get into good positions and that was about having him keep his position within the width of the box, rather than dropping deep or outwide. When he signed what was so shocking, was how lost he seemed to be on the pitch, like he had never been coached, he seemed to go whole games without getting near the ball. Anyways 'if' he is fit, he is going to be part of our pack of strikers and expected to play a real role. But it's still really a hell of a lot ifs and buts.....

The problem is what sort of contract would we offer him? He's still got 2 years left on a very lucrative contract, so we shouldn't match or improve on that. So why would he sign a lesser contract? I'm afraid we're stuck with him and he's going to go down as the worst transfer in United's history.

Fair point 🤷‍♂️

Same with all players you want to protect the asset even if they don’t deserve a contract

The only place for this poor kid to go from here is out on loan to somewhere that will play him every match for half a season + get him back up to match fitness - maybe Swansea ?
If he's scored a few by December , bring him back in January.
He's not going to get anywhere sitting on our bench , his confidence must be shot to shit + he will just crumble in the PL.
We need a PL starting standard loan striker from somewhere to partner Ndiaye coz we ain't getting anywhere hoping McPub can do it in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom