Youngsters out on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Femi Seriki out on loan at Rochdale looked a good prospect but with Baldock and Bogle both fit he’ll find it hard breaking through
He’s been on the bench lately for a poor Rochdale side.

I think Brunt, Broadbent, Belahoun, Neal, Gordon and Seriki are probably going to be moved on soon

I think Brunt, Broadbent, Belahoun, Neal, Gordon and Seriki are probably going to be moved on soon
I think Neal is still held in high regard here. Still only 21 but has had consistent lower league football for 2-3 years now. There's no room for him in our squad just yet, but I'd like to see him and Osula at Rotherham next season to test themselves.

I'm not sure what's happened to Gordon. It wasn't long ago that he was being tracked by the top 6 but that's quietened down and he's not really kicked on. He also went to Boreham Wood, was MOTM (sorry, POTM) in his first game the quietly came back to Sheffield.

That move to Beerschot last season really seems to have set him back. He looked the best age group player at the end of 20/21 but I keep checking Rochdale’s line up and can’t remember the last start he made.
Behind Sachdev in the pecking order these days anyway. Seriki and Brunt will both be released I imagine.

I think Neal is still held in high regard here. Still only 21 but has had consistent lower league football for 2-3 years now. There's no room for him in our squad just yet, but I'd like to see him and Osula at Rotherham next season to test themselves.

I'm not sure what's happened to Gordon. It wasn't long ago that he was being tracked by the top 6 but that's quietened down and he's not really kicked on. He also went to Boreham Wood, was MOTM (sorry, POTM) in his first game the quietly came back to Sheffield.
I think Neal has already been told he's being released

Gordon isn't good enough in possession. Needs a couple of years in L1/L2

I work in Barrow where Neal plays according to the local fans he’s their best player however much that means.

I reckon Neal will stay. Seems to do well with each step up and starts games. The others don't seem to be near. The first two aren't getting out of non league and Seriki can't regularly start games in L2. Gordon seems to have fallen off a cliff in terms of development.

I reckon Arblaster, Neal, Boyes, Osula are the closest after Jebbo. We should be trying to get them Championship loans.

Frecklington seems to be getting rave reviews but needs a league loan. Potter as well.

Marsh and Hackford need to go out and Brooks needs a L1 loan. I'm not convinced.

No idea regarding Amissah and Dewhurst. No idea why the former has been hung out to Burton as a bench warmer.

Has Starbuck stalled? Given he'd had L2 football before coming here seems to have stalled.

I reckon Neal will stay. Seems to do well with each step up and starts games. The others don't seem to be near. The first two aren't getting out of non league and Seriki can't regularly start games in L2. Gordon seems to have fallen off a cliff in terms of development.

I reckon Arblaster, Neal, Boyes, Osula are the closest after Jebbo. We should be trying to get them Championship loans.

Frecklington seems to be getting rave reviews but needs a league loan. Potter as well.

Marsh and Hackford need to go out and Brooks needs a L1 loan. I'm not convinced.

No idea regarding Amissah and Dewhurst. No idea why the former has been hung out to Burton as a bench warmer.

Has Starbuck stalled? Given he'd had L2 football before coming here seems to have stalled.

I'm sure the youth coaches know best, and I know each individual has different pathways, but I remember last summer a few of us on Shoutbox were going through the development player list, and we thought there'd be about half a dozen capable of getting league loans, and the same again for the Conference.

Looking back, how many have had league loans?
Boyes - FGR and Lincoln, a success
Amissah - As mentioned, not playing (but I'm sure the experience is good)
Seriki - Can't seem to get back the form from a year or two ago

Has anybody else gone to a League club? Obviously then there's been Dewhurst, Neal, and the Boreham Woods lads in the Conference (and more I've forgotten I'm sure), and countless to Conference North or lower.

So for all the thinking in terms of the players, arguably only one has gone to a League club and had a successful season out. Seems to be a reluctance to pitch the young lads in too high maybe?

I'm sure the youth coaches know best, and I know each individual has different pathways, but I remember last summer a few of us on Shoutbox were going through the development player list, and we thought there'd be about half a dozen capable of getting league loans, and the same again for the Conference.

Has anybody else gone to a League club? Obviously then there's been Dewhurst, Neal, and the Boreham Woods lads in the Conference (and more I've forgotten I'm sure), and countless to Conference North or lower.

So for all the thinking in terms of the players, arguably only one has gone to a League club and had a successful season out. Seems to be a reluctance to pitch the young lads in too high maybe?
RND, Smith and Slater all had league loans and went on the varying degrees of success. RND of course here.

RND, Smith and Slater all had league loans and went on the varying degrees of success. RND of course here.

Yes I made an edit but then lost it somehow and couldn't be bothered re-typing. Something along the lines of RND being a good example of not being with us in the Prem, but being ready for when we came back down. I guess Boyes would be the best current example of this if he can get a Champ loan next season, should we fall back he will be good to compete for a shirt. If we'd have stayed down actually, I imagine he'd have been in the squad.

I'd argue the ideal would be to have more of that, but it takes time. Most players will need a loan in League 2/League 1 for a year before being even considered for the Championship.

Hopefully next season we can at least start that pathway, have a few have some league loans, so the following year we'll know more where they stand.

Neal has been told he can leave.

Has 6 clubs all vying for his signature at league 1 and 2 level.

He is one of 2 players i am in the know on :)

I reckon that's a mistake. We're a bit shit with young midfielders. Slater and Whiteman never got a chance.
Slater wasn't and will never be good enough for us.

Whiteman has turned into a tidy player but remember at the time him wanting to leave to get first team opportunities. Maybe one we could've developed more.

Arblaster should get his chance, as should the likes of Brooks and Peck soon.

Slater wasn't and will never be good enough for us.

Whiteman has turned into a tidy player but remember at the time him wanting to leave to get first team opportunities. Maybe one we could've developed more.

Arblaster should get his chance, as should the likes of Brooks and Peck soon.

They were more victims of our success than anything, time ran out for them both to make a mark on the team, at that point they made moves to ensure they became professionals while they had suitors, an incredibly smart move..

Anybody who we know won't get in the squad next season needs to go out on loan, it's best for both parties, they may be needed the following season (just being realistic)

Neal has been told he can leave.

Has 6 clubs all vying for his signature at league 1 and 2 level.

He is one of 2 players i am in the know on :)
That's a shame, he seemed really popular at the clubs he was loaned to and sounded like he could be the type we're missing- the no nonsense midfielder that loves to get stuck in and do the dirty work, but can also play.

GLTTL

That's a shame, he seemed really popular at the clubs he was loaned to and sounded like he could be the type we're missing- the no nonsense midfielder that loves to get stuck in and do the dirty work, but can also play.

GLTTL
We dont do mobile midfielders 🤣

When he moved to Boreham Lopata tweeted some nonsense about him being free.
Lopata is on the bench for Woking in the playoffs tonight.

Osula was at Derby.

I reckon that's a mistake. We're a bit shit with young midfielders. Slater and Whiteman never got a chance.

I’m afraid that’s because they simply weren’t good enough to break into the side, and still aren’t good enough.

We can’t keep every player that might go on to be a success elsewhere.
Couple of years ago I watched a youth game that included Neal/Brunt/Seriki/Gordon. They were thought to be big prospects.

From those, the only one I could see having a successful career was Neal. Neat and tidy, strong tackler and read the game well. However lacked the pace needed to be a top player, as he seemed a bit one paced for me. I suggested the rest would drift to lower and non leagues, and I stick by that.

Neal may get up to the Championship in a few years if he finds a club that can get a promotion or two and a manager that plays to his strengths.
However don’t think the others will sadly. Gordon a shame as he has the physicality, but needs to be playing every week now to be that player to command a back line in his early 20’s

Back
Top Bottom