Trophy for 2nd Place ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fuck him, the washed up non-entity twat.

Of course that's our fault not the EFL's for actually giving us one. Don't recall Bournemouth getting this shit last year, but as soon as it's Sheffield United...

46-millwall-h.jpg

It's the same one they've been getting for winning the playoffs for ages. Who cares?

Fuck him, the washed up non-entity twat.

Of course that's our fault not the EFL's for actually giving us one. Don't recall Bournemouth getting this shit last year, but as soon as it's Sheffield United...

46-millwall-h.jpg
Leave Merson alone, poor lad must have lost a few quid at bookies yesterday and is taking it out on us.

It was brought in because champions get one obviously and also play off winners get one at Wembley so runners up used to get shag all so hence a trophy.... doubtful anyone is really bothered except washed up ex premier gambling addicts who's Mrs has to give him spends every week so he doesn't do the leccy money

I have to agree with him. The prize is promotion not a trophy. We didn't 'win' anything other than promotion. Maybe it was the old Yorkshire and Humberside trophy that we dug out of the cupboard to add some glitz to the occasion.
Agree but the play off final winners get a bloody gong or something so if 3rd do it then it makes sense second get one

It's just something symbolic to lift and cheer. Doesn't bother me. Awards for 1st, 2nd & 3rd are standard across sport.

As for Mersons "ping pong at Pontins" line (or what ever he said), 2nd & 3rd get a trophy every fucking week in formula one.

Last edited:
This narrative as been set by the media as him taking the piss out of Sheffield United, when in fact it’s a dig at the EFL. As others have said in F1 you get a trophy for 2nd and 3rd. And the playoff winners get a trophy for……. 3rd best not even necessarily finishing third place.

Guess who started all this…. Our friends at The daily Mail who framed as “hilarious” and “all the pundits in stitches”.

If they didn’t have a trophy then the focus of the coverage would probably be on a magnum of champagne instead.

I know let’s give 3rd place a trophy, you know,for coming 3rd cos they finished 20 points behind 2nd.

I do think we handled getting a 2nd place trophy really well yesterday.

We couldn’t set up a stage and had someone hand it to Billy to lift, but Billy coming out of the tunnel with it worked really well for me.

It was kind of acknowledging that we finished 2nd so don’t really deserve a big champions presentation, but as the EFL have given us a trophy, we might as well show it to the fans on the lap of appreciation*.

*I thought we only used the term “lap of appreciation” after we’ve had a shit season and they don’t wanna call it a lap of honour?

They have gave a trophy for 2nd for a few years. We got one in 2019 that was on display. Why wouldn't you get a trophy if you get one for winning play-offs? Especially how we have smashed it for points over the play-off spots.

I do know the runners up trophy is 10cm shorter than the title.

Remember the silver salver?

Merson is just pissed (not alcohol, I think) because the blades won promotion after he stated Middlesbrough would catch us. The Daily Mail is just being the Daily Mail. Sour grapes. Think the other pundits were laughing at him rather than with him. There is no trophy in the Olympics. Comparing a 46 game campaign with ping pong at Butlins just shows the intellect of the man.

Back
Top Bottom