Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Possibly been shown on this thread before but I’ve been sent this photo but can’t place the occasion or the date other than the eighties?
Showbiz team for TC's testimonial match in October 1986. Back row from l to r Blade fan who won the draw to be in the team, Frank Worthington, Joe Elliott, Mick Miller, George Best, Roy McFarland, Allan Clarke, Geoff Hurst. Front row ; Paul Heaton, Dennis Waterman, Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmill, Chris Quinten, Bill McMurdo (Best's agent)

Showbiz team for TC's testimonial match in October 1986. Back row from l to r Blade fan who won the draw to be in the team, Frank Worthington, Joe Elliott, Mick Miller, George Best, Roy McFarland, Allan Clarke, Geoff Hurst. Front row ; Paul Heaton, Dennis Waterman, Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmill, Chris Quinten, Bill McMurdo (Best's agent)
Thanks Silent.

great day that was and surreal seing the housemartins playing from the terrace at half time 😂

The Blades fan who won the draw to play in the game was a lad called Steve Bellamy. Former schoolmate and school football teammate of mine.
Remember being envious of him playing in that game with all those big names (well, some of em anyway!), but also pleased for him too.

Did the 'wall' at Rotherham fall down every week in the late 70s and early 80s?

Every time I see any game mentioned in that era seems to mention it, why did it fall down was it shit workmanship?

Did the 'wall' at Rotherham fall down every week in the late 70s and early 80s?

Every time I see any game mentioned in that era seems to mention it, why did it fall down was it shit workmanship?
Was on another stand when the wall fell down , remember a wall falling at Halifax as well.

Townhead St with Broad St at the bottom.
I don't believe there will be all that many on here that have attended the Playhouse Theatre.
Missed a treat, lovely, though small compared to The Empire and Lyceum theatres, little place with first class rep. residing there.
Christmas time they put on great plays based on children's stories, directed at children, no music etc., the one I remember best was based on 'Wind in the Willows'.

I've never seen that programme. I was at Uni in Newcastle then otherwise I'd have been there like a shot. Wonderful Stuff LS16Blade !
Quite a day if you were there. No one was sure Best would turn up. He was incidentally still very fit and scored a goal that took your breath away. The 70s United side were still quality.

I've never seen that programme. I was at Uni in Newcastle then otherwise I'd have been there like a shot. Wonderful Stuff LS16Blade !

You needed to be there early to pick one up, as it turned out.

The print run for the programme was scaled on the naive expectations of a gate of up to 10,000 - that being around our average league gate in those dark mid-80’s days when crowds across the country were low. The Kop and South Stand was supposed to be adequate to accommodate the expected gate - John Street being closed as that was where the stage was erected - but in the event the Police had to make the club open the Bramall Lane end as well because there were thousands queuing outside to get in. The gate was well over 20,000.

Fortunately for me, I was on the Kop early…

The print run for the programme was scaled on the naive expectations of a gate of up to 10,000 - that being around our average league gate in those dark mid-80’s days when crowds across the country were low. The Kop and South Stand was supposed to be adequate to accommodate the expected gate - John Street being closed as that was where the stage was erected - but in the event the Police had to make the club open the Bramall Lane end as well because there were thousands queuing outside to get in. The gate was well over 20,000.

Nowadays SYP would call the whole thing off!

Queued up for the lane end and got in 45 minutes later.

Lively old day that .. 2-1 Blades in 85
Very lively indeed!

Spoke to a copper some weeks later who told me they picked up a small fortune in coins from the pitch thrown at them by Leeds.

I was young and daft back then. Went with an ex army lad called tom (rip) Scuffling before outside as we queued to get in on John Street West with Leeds as they came past, and plenty after outside the Howard. To be fair it was going off everywhere that day. They were doing their usual party trick of ripping the seats out. Always hated Leeds, always will.

I can remember when we licked leeds Mel Eves scored curled a right shot into the top corner of the net. then the trouble kicked off. that lot was throwing all sorts from the upper Bramall Lane stand onto the coppers below. walking down john Street a few min after the final whistle. we were just passing the first off-street. we heard wood breaking then a massive bang. next thing a load of leeds shit houses broke through. we had to run for it down the side street I could run then but my father left me standing never seen him move so quickly. managed to catch up with him. outrun the Leeds fans thankfully. get awayI said to my dad are you ok ah,i,m alright are thy he said. thought we were away from the trouble. we were on London Road at the traffic lights ready to cross the dual carriageway. The next min some Blades old and young were running. someone shouted to us get away lads turned round. a right load of leeds scum about 100 yards away. so off again we had to run to Cumberland street. a fucking flare flew over us right into a butcher's shop upstairs window. we could see a fire was starting so we had to shout to the Butcher about what happened. he managed to run upstairs and dowsed it out, fortunately, it wasn't,t too bad after that coppers were all over the place. things calmed down after that. for us anyway. heard they were still trouble up to 11 pm.

What were the circumstances of Bernard Shaw leaving the club? Lord knows how many times I had the opportunity to ask him personally but never got around to it..were there offers in for him?

March 1985. Mel Eves scored 2 for us (second goal was a beauty) in 2-1 win
Yup

I was sat in the cherry st stand near the Leeds fans as they were ripping out seats from the BL upper tier abs lobbing onto pitch

I was sat in the new stand - went with Jane McDonald

Back
Top Bottom