Tall Blades that were/are poor in the air

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tarqs

Reaction score
Continue with the daft subjects.

Classic standouts are Jostein Flo and Sander Berge... but I'll throw another into the mix that might be controversial (because I've read on here that he's good).

Ahmedhozdic never looks convincing attacking a header considering his size.

Are we having a 'Short players who were actually good in the air' for balance?

I'll nominate Derek Geary and Alan Wright.

Needs it's own thread mate, but a credible post.

You're right about Wright though.

Not sure that Basham is particularly good in the air for a tall bloke. Not that he's spectacularly bad or anything but you don't tend to see the sort of meaty headers that Chris Morgan (who, while not short, isn't a giant) used to go and win.

Might be down to him being quite skinny that he gets barged out the way in a contest with a big lump like a Madine or Deeney type.

Mike Trusson.
John Matthews. (apart from his League Cup performance against Liverpool)
Phil Jones

Higdon couldnt bend his knees

What about best header of a ball?

Brian Gayle, Shaun Murphy, Morgz?

Higdon couldnt bend his knees

What about best header of a ball?

Brian Gayle, Shaun Murphy, Morgz?
Apart from the usual suspects, I'll throw Gil Reece, Peter Beagrie and Jock Bryson as wingers who were also great in the air. Whereas our best ever winger, Alan Woodward never headed a ball in his life. (Cue someone coming on telling of a wonder headed goal he once scored)

Continue with the daft subjects.

Classic standouts are Jostein Flo and Sander Berge... but I'll throw another into the mix that might be controversial (because I've read on here that he's good).

Ahmedhozdic never looks convincing attacking a header considering his size.
I actually thought that Jostein Flo was an amazing header of the ball. I've never seen anyone generate so much power on them, probably due to his tree trunk neck! 🤣
If you're talking about jumping for headers, then yes, he was probably a bit meh.

Glenn Cockerill. 6ft tall but 5ft 4 when he went for a header

Last edited:
Gonna get crucified for this, but I used to think that Deanno wasn’t great in the air. Tended to duck his head as he went in for the ball.

Loved the guy btw.

Wash yer mouth out!!!

Just for balance, I thought he was great in the air. :)

Flo was good in the air, the service to him was just crap! We made Peter Withe look poor in the air for the same reason but he played against us on loan and scored two cracking headers.

Woah Woah Woah sweet child of mine!

Flo - good in the air? What are people smoking this morning? :)

Not sure that Basham is particularly good in the air for a tall bloke. Not that he's spectacularly bad or anything but you don't tend to see the sort of meaty headers that Chris Morgan (who, while not short, isn't a giant) used to go and win.

Might be down to him being quite skinny that he gets barged out the way in a contest with a big lump like a Madine or Deeney type.

Agree with this. Being good in the air is a lot to do with core strength, judgement and aggression, not just height. As a 6ft1 skinny twat, I just get nudged out of the way then get shouted out. So it goes…

Random memory - my dad always used to point out wee midget David Speedie who seemed to win loads of headers back in the day.

Depends on the situation. Standing jump with other players around you - corners etc. Flo wasn't great - better with Shipperly or Billy Tightshirt who only needed to get six inches of the floor 'cos nobody near them could get off the ground. With a run at it Flo had the highest jump I can remember. Paul McGrath and Gary Speed both had such great timing that it used to seem like there was nobody else near them. For a wee fella Billy gets a fair number of headed goals as did Keith Edwards - timing again. Berge is awful in the air no matter what the situation - can't think of anybody we've had who comes close. Tommy Cowan get my other vote for his flea-like leaps up and over players a foot taller than him.

Flo was poor at jumping for headers. He was better with his feet. I think he thought as he was that tall he didnt need to make the effort.
I think the obvious one, Berge. His defensive header was shameful.

Back
Top Bottom