Tall Blades that were/are poor in the air

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Apart from the usual suspects, I'll throw Gil Reece, Peter Beagrie and Jock Bryson as wingers who were also great in the air. Whereas our best ever winger, Alan Woodward never headed a ball in his life. (Cue someone coming on telling of a wonder headed goal he once scored)
Agree with all that

Beagrie was excellent in the air

He scored a number of good headers: Wimbledon H, QPR A, Liverpool A spring to mind.
Yes, very true. But aerial prowess surely wasn't a strong point of his given his height, would you say? Overall, I remember him being really poor in the air.

Chris Guthrie.
"Six Feet two, eyes of blue. Big Chris Guthrie . . . is absolute shite".
Was Helios tall enough to qualify?
"Six feet one, burned by the sun, Ashley Ward . . . induces great annoyance".
Agreed, Chris Guthrie....shite in the air!

Lucy Ward was discussing this on a podcast recently, and put forward the suggestion that because as kids they were so much taller than everyone else, they don't really develop their heading and particularly their jump to the level it should be. They're just too dominant in those formative years in the air anyway, so don't have to improve it.
Contrast that with someone like Ronaldo who worked his arse off at it because he was shite, can you imagine how good they could be if they'd worked at it?

Whereas our best ever winger, Alan Woodward never headed a ball in his life. (Cue someone coming on telling of a wonder headed goal he once scored)

He scored quite a few headers if you look in below link. The best was a diving header at home to Southampton in December 1973

See from 41 mins 40 secs in below link

He scored quite a few headers if you look in below link. The best was a diving header at home to Southampton in December 1973

See from 41 mins 40 secs in below link

Should have realised I suppose. I was actually at that game at Burnley, stood on The Longside dodging bottles. I think that was one of only two games we lost in the second half of the season (the other being at Highbury at Easter I reckon, which I also went to, where the Arsenal goal that beat us was deemed controversial, although I can't remember why - Silentblade?)...

Overall, I remember him being really poor in the air.
Fortunately he balanced his lack of aerial power with being piss poor on the deck as well.

As much as I thought he was a complete disaster for us, having to follow Deane as a direct replacement would have been beyond all but a select few and I feel a deal of sympathy for him on that basis.

Ashley Ward aka the Lord of Alderley Edge.

Jebbison - but he's only a kid, but not seen much aerial prowess as of yet.

Fortunately he balanced his lack of aerial power with being piss poor on the deck as well.

As much as I thought he was a complete disaster for us, having to follow Deane as a direct replacement would have been beyond all but a select few and I feel a deal of sympathy for him on that basis.
Aye I thought he was pretty shite all round, though as you say, following Deane was a thankless task.

Should have realised I suppose. I was actually at that game at Burnley, stood on The Longside dodging bottles. I think that was one of only two games we lost in the second half of the season (the other being at Highbury at Easter I reckon, which I also went to, where the Arsenal goal that beat us was deemed controversial, although I can't remember why - Silentblade?)...
Oh yes, the Arsenal match. I was there with my family. The Arsenal players kept kicking us (especially TC) black and blue and the ref was terrible. My dad was furious in the stands and called the ref a twat in front of me, my mum and my sisters. Many spectators in front of us looked over their shoulders to look at my dad. Ken Furphy was critical of the ref in his post match comments.

I will do this in reverse, seem to recall Mark Morris being decent in the air, shame he was dogger on the ground.

Neil Collins …….rumour has it even his kids bully him

Continue with the daft subjects.

Classic standouts are Jostein Flo and Sander Berge... but I'll throw another into the mix that might be controversial (because I've read on here that he's good).

Ahmedhozdic never looks convincing attacking a header considering his size.
This is a bit unfair on Anel. Two headed goals and a headed assist isn't a bad return for a defender, especially when you compare him to Egan.
Might have to agree that when defending he isn't the best header of a ball.

This is a bit unfair on Anel. Two headed goals and a headed assist isn't a bad return for a defender, especially when you compare him to Egan.
Might have to agree that when defending he isn't the best header of a ball.
Yeah its more his jumping.

Back
Top Bottom