My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We did better dealing with the throw ins / corners than v Westbrom but our aerial defensive ability is a glaring weak area. sutv commentary at half time laughably one eyed - but for Fodders and the wood work we could easily have been 3-0 down. Good to see the progress under Hecky its easy to get behind his straightforwardness as opposed to late wilders egotism and Slavs worrying language deficiency.

Just a few tweaks for me on the ratings.
Bash 7
Hourihane 6
And MGW with a superb goal and 2 assists, has to be a 9

Yes I thought too that Hourihane was much better than claimed. He had a decent game, he should at least get some credit for that, rare as it is.

I was happy with the way we played throughout, less so with the way we defended high balls which looked like our players were trying to avoid missiles thrown into the away enclosure on a 1980s terrace, and we had to thank Foderingham for dealing with the aftermath of those.

But we cut through Cardiff's defence time and time again. I thought we looked pretty good. Anyone is welcome to call me deluded, though to do so would be highly predictable.

First and Last

pommpey

First and last and always

Yer' 80s indie, I guess not quite your synth leanings, but thanks for reminding me of a band from wayback.

Can't argue with your marks either. What stands out is how good Bashambauer has been. Why he hasn't been getting a shirt all season, takes some believing.

'A win's a win' isn't it? Like the Barnsley game mind, we make such fucking hard work of an easy-looking task. Cardiff aren't that good - again like many teams - and have a shite home record. So why make it a nail biter of a finish? Again ... our lack of being clinical when in a goalscoring position gave us the hee-bee-gee-bees, and I think when Billy missed his second sitter people were musing, 'that's gonna cost us'. Thing about United also is this: we play our football in two modes. One is front foot, pressing, wanting the ball and looking capable. The other is when we get completely carved up across the pitch with the opposition just coming back at us practically unchallenged. It's a real Jekyll and Hyde look. First 18 minutes we were great battling, creating chances, pressing Cardiff into mistakes but as soon as we looked like we weren't gonna score, suddenly a switch flipped and we turned to shit. Norwood, having a good game up to then, suddenly vaporised and the backline looked decidedly dodgy. Billy failed to touch the ball for a good ten minutes and McGoldrick was pulled out of position so we looked more like 5-4-1. It wasn't a surprise when we went one down despite some heroics from Wes. We looked destined to switch off at some stage and allow Cardiff a free hit on goal.

Second half it disn't seem much better did it? First ten we were under the cosh just allowing Cardiff to come back at us and it was only until the red card ... surely a penalty given Stevens's challenge on Solanke ... and suddenly the wind was back in our sials. Absolutely top drawer from MGW (we don't score many like that, do we?) and a great pair from Billy and Didsy but then, instead of going for it and showing what one extra man actually looks like, we switch it off again and we are looking like we are gonna concede. And we did, albeit a spawny drop in. But we make it so fucking hard, not just on the club, but the supporters. Even beating Peterborough, we managed to concede.

We have to work on our set-pieces better. Apparently Heckingbottom has, but we have been serially shit at defending the first, second and subsequent balls into the box whether from feet or throws, something Pack tried to exploit today with long throws. They have obviously seen how threadbare our defence is from the air and it showed with their second. Their first was simple ball watching from Davies and Norwood, a simple ball put back in and those two are fast asleep.

Foderingham 7/10: Looking more and more like 'the solution'. Great reflex save in the first half. No chance with either goal TBH
Stevens 5/10:A better game for him in spells. Made some decent tackles but in other areas beaten for pace, leaden footed and clumsy
Davies 5/10: Unconvinced still. He is simply a placeholder for a better player in my opinion
Egan 6.5/10: Made some convincing interceptions and header but was somewhat bullied by their big players at set pieces
Basham 7.5/10: Still 'Mr Makes the Game' for me. One shit pass but mostly does what is needed and played more of an auxiliary wingback when they went to ten men to good effect
Bogle 7/10: Think he is growing into the role but I feel it should be RM/RW rather than RWB. Interacted well with everyone around him but neshed his chance later on, but a superb involvement in the second and a great cross for Sharps missed header
Norwood 6.5/10: In spells he played really well, actually looking for ways to thread passes rather than the Hollywood pass, but he is either all or nothing in the dogfight in that he gets bypassed or he's giving needless fouls and yellows away
Hourihane 3/10: And only just. A real fucking hole in the lineup. Just looks like a sub par Norwood, either telegraphing balls, overhitting them of putting a rolled pass into the back of the stand. He's another placeholder for me. No idea why Berge wasn't chanced for him.
McGoldrick 7/10: Good game for Didsy and shows his experience and wealth of talents, finished with a great goal
MGW 8/10: We are gonna miss this lad when he goes back. That is all there is to say.
Sharp 6/10: Drops two whole points for his missed chances, ones which could have handed him the match ball and five deserved goals to us. He was, however, when we decided to play the front facing game, a constant pest to the lumpen Cardiff defence. When we switched to Shitbox United, he hardly got a touch, and how many times does that happen?

McBurnie 4/10: Big chance to impose and show his worth. Fell over a few times. Failed to stop their second goal, despite supposedly being great in defence
Osborn 5/10: Not on long enough for any effect

Just hope we are sufficiently robust to put up with QPR.

pommpey

Wholly agree with that

Shit I've over dosed on anphetomenes

I'll dilute it down with this gin

First half, the play in the middle and top of the pitch was a good, but my days we looked very shaky at the back. Hopefully the West Brom/Cardiff style isn’t one we have to handle too much.

Can’t comment on the 2nd half up until the red, as I returned to the game as MGW was lining the free kick up. I actually thought we played as well as I’ve seen against 10 men.

The save from Didsy before our 2nd was decent, but his initial miss from the 1st cross was shocking. Something about the 6 yard box he doesn’t like ! Still think he’s a key player for us though, despite the misses (and no way is his goal going in without the deflection).

We’ll create chances and score goals, but I can’t see our defensive duties becoming solid without new faces. Season will go 2 ways, mid table due to lost points (clinical opposition) or rub of the green (non-clinics opposition) to get us into the lottery of the play offs.

Just like to add also to those who went, fucking loud and proud. Well done you lot. Not only for the God Save the Queen to wind up the Druids, but for the noise you created. I just hope everyone behaved and there were no episodes of cuntishness.

pommpey
The stewarding and police presence was heavy. Coppers dressed like they were anticipating bother. They kicked one of theirs out for lipping off at Blades and out stretching his arms from about 40 yards away. The « Ingerland « stuff seemed to wind them up

The stewarding and police presence was heavy. Coppers dressed like they were anticipating bother. They kicked one of theirs out for lipping off at Blades and out stretching his arms from about 40 yards away. The « Ingerland « stuff seemed to wind them up
They must be used to it though - apart from when they're playing Swansea.

A Cardiff fan not a copper😊

They must be used to it though - apart from when they're playing Swansea.
They came prepared with Italy flag. I was reading that the Welsh/British identity thing is causing a bit of bother on Swansea’s terraces lately. eg. « London is my capital not Cardiff »

Nice to be talking about a win isn’t it Pompey!
Ps we played a tears for fears song at a gig last night as I loved the version you did. Our version was poor but still!

They came prepared with Italy flag. I was reading that the Welsh/British identity thing is causing a bit of bother on Swansea’s terraces lately. eg. « London is my capital not Cardiff »
Always thought there was a bit of difference between north & south Wales but wasn't aware there was any kind of Cardiff/Swansea national divide. Be interested to hear the views of any Welsh based Blades.

He came back 5 minutes later though

He came back 5 minutes later though
Did he ? Might have accepted a verbal caution. To be fair he wasn’t doing anything more than many others. Still looked old enough, ( grey hair), to know better.

Always thought there was a bit of difference between north & south Wales but wasn't aware there was any kind of Cardiff/Swansea national divide. Be interested to hear the views of any Welsh based Blades.
Well, not that I’d know or be aware. I think it’s more a Swansea / Cardiff football thing to be honest. There has been trouble on the terraces at Swansea when people have waved Loyalist flags, Red Hand for example and others have taken exception leading to violence.

It’s probably akin to Rangers supporters who wave union flags and sing the National anthem at games but vote SNP. Football identity and real identity not always the same. The Swansea thing sounds more a dig at Cardiff than a serious British/Welsh thing to me

It’s probably akin to Rangers supporters who wave union flags and sing the National anthem at games but vote SNP. Football identity and real identity not always the same. The Swansea thing sounds more a dig at Cardiff than a serious British/Welsh thing to me
I think you’re right in the last sentence. Not sure about the SNP comment I thought Rangers were ultraLoyalists

I think you’re right in the last sentence. Not sure about the SNP comment I thought Rangers were ultraLoyalists
Bizarre I know but having spent a good deal of time in Glasgow and I’ve found Scottish Nationalist rangers fans and proud British supporters of Celtic I have of course pointed out the contradictions of this but it’s a mixed up scenario there with religion thrown into the mix. Please don’t ask me to explain it!!

Nice to be talking about a win isn’t it Pompey!
Ps we played a tears for fears song at a gig last night as I loved the version you did. Our version was poor but still!

It's always a winner for us. Last song of the first set and we drop out the instruments for the final chorus with the lights on the audience. They're allus singing it back. It's usually about ten o'clock too so people have just gone over the 'just a bit more than slightly pissed' fence! :)

'SHout' is an ace song to do. Roland Orzbal's guitar solo is a bit of a faff to do on my Roland AX Edge keytar though

pommpey

Agree, but hey had two big lads stood in the box waiting for the cross. McBurnie is usually good at that stuff and should have been in their zone. In his defence (in defence) he does usually make the difference with our centrebacks who give height away to big strong oppositions. McBurnie in the past at defending setpieces has really done well and been the person with his head on the ball to get it clear.

LCB for him, next game anyone?

pommpey
LCB ?
Left to Clean the Bus ?

Worth mentioning Hecky mentioned Cardiff have won the most headers in the division. Also, I think one of their players has the most crosses in the league too.

We knew what to expect before the match kicked off.
Aiden Flint is great in the air. Hat trick for Bristol city a few years ago in promooon season v Colchester. Hes a defender.

It's always a winner for us. Last song of the first set and we drop out the instruments for the final chorus with the lights on the audience. They're allus singing it back. It's usually about ten o'clock too so people have just gone over the 'just a bit more than slightly pissed' fence! :)

'SHout' is an ace song to do. Roland Orzbal's guitar solo is a bit of a faff to do on my Roland AX Edge keytar though

pommpey
We did it first song of the second set, but I hear you! Great tune!

Bizarre I know but having spent a good deal of time in Glasgow and I’ve found Scottish Nationalist rangers fans and proud British supporters of Celtic I have of course pointed out the contradictions of this but it’s a mixed up scenario there with religion thrown into the mix. Please don’t ask me to explain it!!
Now i‘m confused !

Worth mentioning Hecky mentioned Cardiff have won the most headers in the division. Also, I think one of their players has the most crosses in the league too.

We knew what to expect before the match kicked off.
Anybody know what Heckys gameplan was to combat it then,because either it got largely ignored,or he just told them to do their best at the back and create more than them up top and hope somebody got sent off.

Anybody know what Heckys gameplan was to combat it then,because either it got largely ignored,or he just told them to do their best at the back and create more than them up top and hope somebody got sent off.

Can we combat it? Play McBurnie as a centre back?

Can we combat it? Play McBurnie as a centre back?
Well,you would hope there was a plan to combat it,other teams are likely to play more direct against us in future,so we need one that works.

Well,you would hope there was a plan to combat it,other teams are likely to play more direct against us in future,so we need one that works.

We need perhaps another defender? Name starts with J and second name starts with O. :D

We need perhaps another defender? Name starts with J and second name starts with O. :D
This is where you need the media to ask the right questions and try to get some answers for fans who see a glaring weakness in the team,and would like to know how it will be/is being adressed.Outscoring teams is the logical one at the moment,unless a defensive coach is going to come in and kick some asses.

We did it first song of the second set, but I hear you! Great tune!

I sampled the percussive bit at the front end of the song then tempo matched it into the DAW, looped then suddenly with a whole host of sampled, individual stems (courtesy mainly of my Axial-armed Roland FA06 workstation), two harmonised backing vocal tracks (courtesy of 'me' which fit in with the keyboardists live vocals) and then his Propellerhead Reason-armed soft synths, we have a perfect outro for set one.

"Hands in the air ... everyone!"

pommpey

Thats his job to be the spare man and attack the ball as it is Mcgoldricks when he is not on. Thats why they win the majority of defensive corners and have done for the past couple of years.
But he didn't attack the ball did he? In fact, as usual, he was rooted to the spot. Absolute liability, on top of which, for the last three seasons he's had the worst distribution of any outfield player, of all the clubs in the whole league. Just go on any stats website (who scored, fotmob) and you'll see. Last season he also had the worst strike rate (conversion of chance to goal) of any player in the top 9 divisions in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom