My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

McBurnie played his his apparent preferred CAM role where he played in Swansea where he drops deep links up and apparently "He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee". So if he's not a target man and not a link man. WTF is he?

McBurnie played his his apparent preferred CAM role where he played in Swansea where he drops deep links up and apparently "He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee". So if he's not a target man and not a link man. WTF is he?

False nine

But we don't, and have never played that system

pommpey

been wondering the same for the last 2 years 🤔🤔🤔

We will never know. It’s always what he can’t do. Not what he can.

Thanks Pommps. Didn't see it but listened on RS. Carl Asaba was the pundit and perhaps should be the manager (perhaps not, but he made some great points), and went utterly bonkers at Slav's substitutions at 3-0 up! Villa was very much on my mind, and once it got to 3-2 I was convinced we'd collapse and lose, not draw. Yes, Barnsley are crap, but let's be honest, Millwall are no great shakes either, and they smelled our fear. Once Barnsley scored, we appeared to revert to headless chicken tactics, and again fear seemed to be the factor. I'm pleased we won, but so pissed off that we don't have the nous to see out the last 10 minutes at 3-0 up, not against an upwardly mobile Villa, but against the Dingles in freefall!!
What made it even more odd is that in bringing on Sharp, McGoldrick and Basham, he introduced our three most senior and experiences players.

Not usually the forerunner for a complete capitulation.

We will never know. It’s always what he can’t do. Not what he can.
We seem to have bought players with little to no idea how they play on the hope that he's a forward, he'll do a job up top.

Robinson a good example in that he would have been decent in this formation or 4-3-3 if we ever entertained a Plan B. If we didn't then

McBurnie, I bet we have not played him in the way Swansea did. I see him, I think Rhys Ifans or Catweezle. I certainly don't think Jon Parkin.

Looking back, we'd have been as well getting Madine and Hogan for about 5m for the pair and saving the 24m we lavished on these two. Madine showed that he could be more than just one dimensional and right now, one dimension would be an upgrade on McBurnie.

We seem to have bought players with little to no idea how they play on the hope that he's a forward, he'll do a job up top.

Robinson a good example in that he would have been decent in this formation or 4-3-3 if we ever entertained a Plan B. If we didn't then

McBurnie, I bet we have not played him in the way Swansea did. I see him, I think Rhys Ifans or Catweezle. I certainly don't think Jon Parkin.

Looking back, we'd have been as well getting Madine and Hogan for about 5m for the pair and saving the 24m we lavished on these two. Madine showed that he could be more than just one dimensional and right now, one dimension would be an upgrade on McBurnie.
robinson would have fitted slavs set up perfectly but didnt suit the 352 we played and do think a big physical centre forward like madine is what we need if were going to go 4231 jutkievic at brum would be perfect for us

But even that one shows us moving up
3 points cover 6th to 14th
First time we've been 1 win away from top 6

With a team full of expensive, former Premier League players.

Keep digging.

pommpey

Average mark there is 4.67.

Had the defence fended off the two goals and considering Fleck wasn't playing, the average might just be 7 or 7.5, and considering the first half which was decidedly chunky bobbar.

pommpey
In the old days before wall to wall coverage on tv the first half would be the edited out highlighd's on the big match

Games have always had dull boring bits
Normally around 50 per cent minimum

Saw Liverpool's win at man Utd and got what did Liverpool do in the last 25 minutes must pass across midfield . Was an offence to entertainment

People think that giving Mousset is baiting. Consider this:

He did 60 minutes. This is pretty standard for him, a man at 25, yet to hit the peak of his footballing capability (usually 27-28) and just been laid up for a considerable amount of time. He also seemed to be limping. In that sixty minutes, he beat his marker for pace once in the first half, spent long periods of that 45 minutes as a peripheral player, trotted back laboriously when they cleared their lines and hit a tame volley straight at their keeper. So out of ten with five as the starter and the median, what would you give him? Anyone giving above a three is deluded. I actually expected him to be hooked at half time, ineffective as he was.

Second half he wasn't really part of it, until he broke across the box and hit that sizzler straight into the corner. Excellent goal. But not exactly 10/10 or anywhere near it, in fact, it is what is expected of a £10m striker, thank you very much. Three minutes later, he's shrugging off their defender to clip Osborn's cross into their net. Superb. Not quite clanging the bell at the top yet though and aside from a blistering run forward five minutes later to support a failed attack, that was it until he was replaced by Sharp.

Now tell me what else he did to warrant above half marks for two thirds of the match.

pommpey
Excellent response

logical and I agree

we havent played well at all this season but if we hadnt chucked points away late on in 3 or 4 games we would be in the top 6 apart from the top 3 this league is very very average a fit mousset plus a couple of good loan signings in january and a play off spot is there for the taking

Let's face it, the standard offered by Barnsley was League 2 at best. Their first 70 mins was as bad as you'll ever see in this division. Probably worse than anything we've offered in the last 6 or 7 years. So to go in at half time having had one tame shot on their goal was pretty piss poor by us. The first 25 mins of the 2nd half by us was exactly as it should have been for the whole of the first half. And as I've been Mousset's biggest critic, I'll say fair play to him for his 2 goals. His first was a great finish, his second a proper CF goal. Still, history shows that his limping exit means we won't see him again until after Xmas. Probably the same time that other fabled unicorn Berge decides he fancies a game as well. And I thought Osborn was our MOTM by some distance.
Of course now there are the 'buts' to come. Mcburnie is a waste of oxygen. Couldn't shithouse an outside lavvy. The goalie is just a pair of luminous gloves pointing and waving. And the utter collapse in the last 15 was pure Sunday morning at Graves Park after 15 pints on Saturday night.
Still, we won. And MGW is back next game.......

Even more staggering is that Bournemouth are still unbeaten. I thought they were bang average and were extremely fortunate to get anything from us.

Even more staggering is that Bournemouth are still unbeaten. I thought they were bang average and were extremely fortunate to get anything from us.

Agreed ... but they did. That's the toe-end in the conkers. We took the lead deservedly after some dogged play, Bournemouth got the disputed penalty and we practically game the fucking game away. by switching off and not managing the advantage

We could have done the same against Barnsley too

pommpey

With a team full of expensive, former Premier League players.

Keep digging.

pommpey
All blade too long did is literally point out that we’ve improved since the start of the season- which is true, though that doesn’t ignore the obvious room for improvement.
You get so melodramatically defensive whenever anyone says anything that even slightly hints at diverging away from what your opinion is- sometimes when people are even making a similar point to you. It comes across as incredibly abrasive.

All blade too long did is literally point out that we’ve improved since the start of the season- which is true, though that doesn’t ignore the obvious room for improvement.
You get so melodramatically defensive whenever anyone says anything that even slightly hints at diverging away from what your opinion is- sometimes when people are even making a similar point to you. It comes across as incredibly abrasive.

So the narrative is, 'agree with everything'?

You know if what other state is 180 degrees to how you see it, you have the right to debate?

That.

Using your yardstick, My take would be shut as soon as I'd posted it.

This is a forum. Try not to let your predispositions and assumed character assessments get in the way of 'football' though, eh?

pommpey

So the narrative is, 'agree with everything'?

You know if what other state is 180 degrees to how you see it, you have the right to debate?

That.

Using your yardstick, My take would be shut as soon as I'd posted it.

This is a forum. Try not to let your predispositions and assumed character assessments get in the way of 'football' though, eh?

pommpey
If you want to have a narrative then it can be 'not everything has to be an argument'. It's not really a debate when someone points out we're in better form now and you completely dismiss that, or that we did play with a false 9 back when it was harder to watch us on TV, (but that apparently doesn't count as it discounts your initial point).

At no point did I say that you had to agree with everyone- though the extreme leap you've gone to in your reply makes my point for me.

My 'assumed character assessment' knows that you always have to get the last word in, so I'll pre-empt that inevitability and say that I'm bowing out of this thread now.

If you want to have a narrative then it can be 'not everything has to be an argument'. It's not really a debate when someone points out we're in better form now and you completely dismiss that, or that we did play with a false 9 back when it was harder to watch us on TV, (but that apparently doesn't count as it discounts your initial point).

Dismiss it? He had the opportunity to refute it. And he did. It's his opinion. And his right.

At no point did I say that you had to agree with everyone- though the extreme leap you've gone to in your reply makes my point for me.

So how does one disagree, then? Genuine question. You obviously have some guidelines to hand, which resonate with your standards.

My 'assumed character assessment' knows that you always have to get the last word in, so I'll pre-empt that inevitability and say that I'm bowing out of this thread now.

Heh. It doesn't get more 'last word' than saying that it's your last word and then disengaging and pretending to be not around to read the response.

pommpey

Back to football.

We are pretty shit at game management. Might be tactical, the subs were wrong choices, but fuck me they are professional footballers and should have the nous to do what's required, which I think Slav was trying to say in his interview. The emergence of Ndiaye and MGW seems to have given McGoldrick some sort of football Tourettes, he's all flicks, ticks and spins suddenly, leave that to those that can. Mostly the game management is confidence, last season has shot any belief they had, and a goal against creates a whole team crisis. Sunday was a case of 3-0, job done cruise it home. They don't have the confidence and belief to do that and we saw the result.

All that just to say McGoldrick should get marked down to 2 pommpey and hopefully a kick up the arse by Slav.

Back
Top Bottom