Over-reacting

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah but last night was a fluke of a game and hardly should be deemed the straw that broke the camel's back
Our performance was poor regardless of anything else that went on.
If we had played better AND taken our chances we would have won comfortably, despite a fluke goal and inconsistency in the refereeing.

And the second paragraph is the problem. We were 10 minutes away from losing to Stoke. The only other games we've won were against the worst teams in the league. This is not a one off. We were unlucky in a way. We might of won if MGW hadn't been a penis but then again we could have easily lost at the weekend. We're soft. Far too weak.

I suspect we'll be starting next season in this league but in a much worse position than this season (minus Sharp, McGoldrick, Mousset, Osborn, Basham)

I'm not even thinking of next season as loads could happen but I do think realistically we need 2-3 seasons to simply remove these players on big wages before we can have another go. I expect us to be like Stoke were for the next few seasons but as I said nobody can say right now.

After last nights result and defeat there was in my opinion bit too much over-reacting.

The match changed on that MGW 2nd yellow. It could have changed again had Saville been booked too to level things up too.

But the over-reaction from some on here, on twitter, on facebook is a stupid.

We were poor in the first half, this can't be disputed and until N'Diaye came on we weren't getting anything going at all.
We had picked up in those few mins before the pen and all of a sudden 1st half end came a bit too soon but we were level and not deserving to be.

2nd half starts and for that first 10 mins we were well on top, missing a few chances and somehow that open goal from McGoldrick. Bogle would have got that too for a tap in.

MGW is then sent off for his 2nd yellow. At the time I thought that's a pen and it's a ludicrous decision. Looking back whilst there may be contact he's trying to win a pen and we would be saying an opposition attacker is a cheat for doing this.
Did MGW over-reaction for his 1st yellow cloud the ref's judgement too? Ref might have just waved play on perhaps if had hadn't mouthed off as such?

For the remainder of the 2nd half, I thought that we did fairly well considered.
Created a few good chances and could feel a shade unlucky N'Diaye's effort or Sharps prod didn't quite find the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Our team after the MGW were then over-reacting to any referee decision just about, which is perhaps understandable. But what this meant was the the ref I felt completely lost his head.
From about 75min mark anything could happen, and decisions started to become random. Corners which were debatable for us were given, N'Diaye pushed over was obviously a foul.
Waving play on when fleck was pulled back is all good but Saville should have been shown a 2nd yellow to even things up.

The players put the effort in too, but by 90mins were on their knees for being a man down.
Their 2nd goal might have been closed down better had the team not been as tired. I felt it was a harsh end and that a draw would have been a positive and probably justified result overall.
We were fantastic in the 2nd half until the red. Could honestly see 3-1/4-1 easily.

First half was poor, but even so, we could easily have been 2-1 up with the didzy one on one.

2nd half, Didzy again with a shocker of a miss and also Ndiaye. He did the hard work then it the shot too high and central. If he puts that in a bottom corner, GK doesn't get close.

Their 2 goals were flukes too, especially 1st. The 2nd one goes into the stand 9/10 times

Taking the game in isolation you are right. Their two goals don't happen in most games and it should have been 10 v 10 in the final 20 against a team who were negative enough even with an man extra. We did ok with 10 men and didn't deserve to lose.

The problem is we are 13 games in and have won 4. Last night could have been put down to a freak game if we hadn't shown similar weaknesses in the previous 12 games. We still make the same basic errors and we were extremely lucky to be level at half time. I've seen nothing to suggest we are anything more than mid table and despite the bizarre nature of last night's game it didn't change my mind on where we are.
Nail head.

Trouble with this team/Manager they build us up with a promising performance , then fuck it up the next game , we have no consistency , in fact the only consistency we have is the fact we are inconsistent , if that makes sense !

As for over reacting were 15th and that's not good enough and we have some shite players on our books they need moving on and fuck the loss of money just get them out !
Exactly,who are our players we can rely on,firstly to give us consistent week in,week out acceptable performances,and secondly,individually and as a collective,to give us consistant standards to put us in positions to win games in anything like the required amount,I don't trust any of them.

It’s not overreacting to say that was complete shite from start to finish. Made Millwall looked good when they are average to poor at best. A decent team would have smashed both of us (put together) last night

Re "complete shite from start to finish" We were awful for the first half hour, but definately the better team after the first substitution to their second goal, they were the only team wanting to play and with a different ref and Didzy putting his boots on the right feet we could have pinched it

The blades are currently nice footballers to watch but are simply not 'winners' January needs to bring some more physique to compete

On a positive it is still better to watch than when relegated with Furphy Bassett or Warnock

After last nights result and defeat there was in my opinion bit too much over-reacting.

The match changed on that MGW 2nd yellow. It could have changed again had Saville been booked too to level things up too.

But the over-reaction from some on here, on twitter, on facebook is a stupid.

We were poor in the first half, this can't be disputed and until N'Diaye came on we weren't getting anything going at all.
We had picked up in those few mins before the pen and all of a sudden 1st half end came a bit too soon but we were level and not deserving to be.

2nd half starts and for that first 10 mins we were well on top, missing a few chances and somehow that open goal from McGoldrick. Bogle would have got that too for a tap in.

MGW is then sent off for his 2nd yellow. At the time I thought that's a pen and it's a ludicrous decision. Looking back whilst there may be contact he's trying to win a pen and we would be saying an opposition attacker is a cheat for doing this.
Did MGW over-reaction for his 1st yellow cloud the ref's judgement too? Ref might have just waved play on perhaps if had hadn't mouthed off as such?

For the remainder of the 2nd half, I thought that we did fairly well considered.
Created a few good chances and could feel a shade unlucky N'Diaye's effort or Sharps prod didn't quite find the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Our team after the MGW were then over-reacting to any referee decision just about, which is perhaps understandable. But what this meant was the the ref I felt completely lost his head.
From about 75min mark anything could happen, and decisions started to become random. Corners which were debatable for us were given, N'Diaye pushed over was obviously a foul.
Waving play on when fleck was pulled back is all good but Saville should have been shown a 2nd yellow to even things up.

The players put the effort in too, but by 90mins were on their knees for being a man down.
Their 2nd goal might have been closed down better had the team not been as tired. I felt it was a harsh end and that a draw would have been a positive and probably justified result overall.
Won 4 games in 13. Not hugely impressive.

Does anybody think if we get into a relegation battle this squads got what it takes to survive i.e bottle, I don't. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but I'm getting very concerned.

Does anybody think if we get into a relegation battle this squads got what it takes to survive i.e bottle, I don't. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but I'm getting very concerned.
If we stick with Wilders has beens we are as good as down and that includes Bash,Didz,Baldock

After first few games we were in the relegation zone. Now we’re mid table. Don’t concern yourself.

Think people questioning relegation are over reacting. But think those saying we will be in the top 6 by end of season are equally OTT.

Midtable squad sitting in a mid table position.

Due to the number of players on handsome wages and long term contracts it could take a while to reshape the squad properly.

After last nights results we are down to 17th. So yes I'm getting concerned the only team we have beaten of any note is Stoke City. The other teams we have beaten Peterborough and Hull are out of League One then we have Derby County who if they hadn't had a 12pt deduction would be above us in the table, pretty grim reading eh. That isn't the whole story though some of the performances have been truly dreadful, as a team we are as soft as shit and are easily bullied. Against Millwall we had £30m worth of strikers sat on the bench while a poor 35yr old is run into the ground playing two games a week Mousset and McBurnie should be ashamed of themselves, not only that we have another £30m worth of strikers sat on their arses at home who can't even get near the bench WTF was Wilder thinking bringing Burke and Brewster to the club. Lose at Barnsley on Sunday (and I can see it coming they will bully us) and make no mistake we are in deep shit and a relegation battle with a set of players who have less balls than the ladies team.

Last edited:
Regards Gibbs-White - this is probably the 4th or 5th time I can recall him diving. Doing that on a yellow is idiotic, and it’s a shitty thing to do at the best of times. Really hope he stamps it out of his game. We’d have mullered them second half if it wasn’t for that moment.
I think its far more than 4 or 5 ,and I honestly cant think of one thats worked yet.

It’s not overreacting to say that was complete shite from start to finish. Made Millwall looked good when they are average to poor at best. A decent team would have smashed both of us (put together) last night
Yes I'd say so.

Poor for the 1st 30 mins. On top and until Gibbs-White got sent off. Can't expect to win games with 10 men at this level but we at least tried to get forward rather than sitting in and playing for the draw.

Re "complete shite from start to finish" We were awful for the first half hour, but definately the better team after the first substitution to their second goal, they were the only team wanting to play and with a different ref and Didzy putting his boots on the right feet we could have pinched it

The blades are currently nice footballers to watch but are simply not 'winners' January needs to bring some more physique to compete

On a positive it is still better to watch than when relegated with Furphy Bassett or Warnock
It’s all very well being nice footballers, but when you are playing against opponents who are physically that much bigger and stronger than you, you have to be smarter and actually show that you are better footballers.
I don’t think that we did that on Tuesday night. Yes, there were spells where we were better but considering how we do have ‘nice footballers’ our movement, touch and overall play was no better than theirs.
The championship typically shows that you have to be bigger, stronger and more physical than everyone else, or much better at football. We are sadly neither.
For all we are ‘nice footballers’ I lost count of the amount of times Fleck gave the ball away trying to beat his opponent, likewise Didzy trying flicks and turns which never came off, like Osborn who tried to beat his man and got out muscled.
In no way do I want to see us with a team full of goliaths, but when the flicks and tricks aren’t working. simple passing and movement are the key to beating these teams.
It’s also not a coincidence that we concede late so frequently. Its a sign that we have a soft underbelly and that we need somebody with some bollocks to get a grip when things aren’t going our way. We have no leaders on the pitch.

I’ve seen quite a few people say here and on other threads that without the red card we would’ve won that game easily.

But would we have? Okay we were starting to create chances but Peterborough aside our goalscoring record has been absolutely pitiful for a long time. We simply don’t convert enough chances and haven’t consistently done so since the last time we were in the championship.

I’ve seen quite a few people say here and on other threads that without the red card we would’ve won that game easily.

But would we have? Okay we were starting to create chances but Peterborough aside our goalscoring record has been absolutely pitiful for a long time. We simply don’t convert enough chances and haven’t consistently done so since the last time we were in the championship.

From Peterborough on we're the joint-highest scorers in the league with 16 in 8. Even excluding the Peterborough game there's only 4 teams that have scored more than our 10 in the last 7.

Converting chances could be better but scoring/creating isn't a problem for us right now IMO, it's everything coming the other way.

Agree to an extent about over reaction but I think a lot of it was down the decisions of the referee, possibly the second yellow card was justified but only if the ref was consistent with his decisions, and he wasn’t. Just on the first yellow card, we were on the John Street and the tackle looked a perfect tackle without follow through, MGW reacted to this but rightly so from what we saw. Out of interest did anyone see this differently and think it was a yellow card challenge, I thought we had a pretty good view and it looked fine to us and not even a foul.
I was on John Street, straight up from where they were on the pitch. Made me wince when MGW went into him. It was a foolish challenge and a clear yellow.

I would agree in general with there being an over reaction, but I think most fans know that as a club we have a real dichotomy to deal with. While ever we have the likes of Fleck, Stevens & Norwood (and others), we are going to struggle. I don't know what has happened for their collective form to drop off a cliff, it's like they have PTSD or something, but let's be honest do we have enough quality in the squad to leave them out? Playing Hourihane on Tuesday seemed sensible to me, rotate the players a bit, but within minutes he showed it was a very bad day at the office, & I credit Slav for getting him off. Problem with that moving on is how does he possibly get back in the side after that performance? Well for me he doesn't, & if we can return him to his parent club in January we should.
Back to the old guard, Slav simply cannot get his style of play into most of our players, they are not up to it any more, & I am confident in saying we will not be able to make wholesale changes in January, we can't afford to when we have a squad full of players not justifying their salaries, who I doubt will attract bids from other clubs.
We cannot go back to the old system, despite potentially having the players to play that way they proved they cannot any longer by getting us relegated. And anyway, if that was the direction the club want to go in then it was pointless bring Slav in, we may as well have stuck with Hecky.

I also think that a lot of frustration & anger of our supporters is a very "Sheffield" reaction, apart from a few seconds of Greasy Chip Butty at the start of each half the crowd is largely silent, & only make noise after a mistake from one of our players or a crap decision from the referee. We has stopped supporting & are waiting to be entertained, it comes across really badly on TV. I understand this after the last 18 months or so, but we are showing little joy at being able to attend games again.

This is all just my opinion, I would much rather find positives to talk about & not criticise, but the writing has been on the wall for a while now, we need to know the club have a plan of action to reverse this otherwise our future is far from certain.

I would agree in general with there being an over reaction, but I think most fans know that as a club we have a real dichotomy to deal with. While ever we have the likes of Fleck, Stevens & Norwood (and others), we are going to struggle. I don't know what has happened for their collective form to drop off a cliff, it's like they have PTSD or something, but let's be honest do we have enough quality in the squad to leave them out? Playing Hourihane on Tuesday seemed sensible to me, rotate the players a bit, but within minutes he showed it was a very bad day at the office, & I credit Slav for getting him off. Problem with that moving on is how does he possibly get back in the side after that performance? Well for me he doesn't, & if we can return him to his parent club in January we should.
Back to the old guard, Slav simply cannot get his style of play into most of our players, they are not up to it any more, & I am confident in saying we will not be able to make wholesale changes in January, we can't afford to when we have a squad full of players not justifying their salaries, who I doubt will attract bids from other clubs.
We cannot go back to the old system, despite potentially having the players to play that way they proved they cannot any longer by getting us relegated. And anyway, if that was the direction the club want to go in then it was pointless bring Slav in, we may as well have stuck with Hecky.

I also think that a lot of frustration & anger of our supporters is a very "Sheffield" reaction, apart from a few seconds of Greasy Chip Butty at the start of each half the crowd is largely silent, & only make noise after a mistake from one of our players or a crap decision from the referee. We has stopped supporting & are waiting to be entertained, it comes across really badly on TV. I understand this after the last 18 months or so, but we are showing little joy at being able to attend games again.

This is all just my opinion, I would much rather find positives to talk about & not criticise, but the writing has been on the wall for a while now, we need to know the club have a plan of action to reverse this otherwise our future is far from certain.

Post Relegation Stress Disorder does seem a real thing.

In fairness to the Kop they did whistle through a few old favourites recently though I agree the atmosphere isn't what it was. It is what we make it though.

For a number of reasons I've barely made the games this season. As such, I obviously can't feel the same levels of frustration as a lot that went. Big positive was I felt the fans actually backed them on Tues. And as far as frustrating defeats go, it was an entertaining frustrating defeat and looking forward to going back.

...I also think that a lot of frustration & anger of our supporters is a very "Sheffield" reaction, apart from a few seconds of Greasy Chip Butty at the start of each half the crowd is largely silent, & only make noise after a mistake from one of our players or a crap decision from the referee. We has stopped supporting & are waiting to be entertained, it comes across really badly on TV. I understand this after the last 18 months or so, but we are showing little joy at being able to attend games again....

Funny, I found the atmosphere better than what I was expecting. The Lane has always needed adversity to get folk to pipe up.

Back
Top Bottom