Over-reacting

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
After last nights result and defeat there was in my opinion bit too much over-reacting.

The match changed on that MGW 2nd yellow. It could have changed again had Saville been booked too to level things up too.

But the over-reaction from some on here, on twitter, on facebook is a stupid.

We were poor in the first half, this can't be disputed and until N'Diaye came on we weren't getting anything going at all.
We had picked up in those few mins before the pen and all of a sudden 1st half end came a bit too soon but we were level and not deserving to be.

2nd half starts and for that first 10 mins we were well on top, missing a few chances and somehow that open goal from McGoldrick. Bogle would have got that too for a tap in.

MGW is then sent off for his 2nd yellow. At the time I thought that's a pen and it's a ludicrous decision. Looking back whilst there may be contact he's trying to win a pen and we would be saying an opposition attacker is a cheat for doing this.
Did MGW over-reaction for his 1st yellow cloud the ref's judgement too? Ref might have just waved play on perhaps if had hadn't mouthed off as such?

For the remainder of the 2nd half, I thought that we did fairly well considered.
Created a few good chances and could feel a shade unlucky N'Diaye's effort or Sharps prod didn't quite find the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Our team after the MGW were then over-reacting to any referee decision just about, which is perhaps understandable. But what this meant was the the ref I felt completely lost his head.
From about 75min mark anything could happen, and decisions started to become random. Corners which were debatable for us were given, N'Diaye pushed over was obviously a foul.
Waving play on when fleck was pulled back is all good but Saville should have been shown a 2nd yellow to even things up.

The players put the effort in too, but by 90mins were on their knees for being a man down.
Their 2nd goal might have been closed down better had the team not been as tired. I felt it was a harsh end and that a draw would have been a positive and probably justified result overall.

After last nights result and defeat there was in my opinion bit too much over-reacting.

The match changed on that MGW 2nd yellow. It could have changed again had Saville been booked too to level things up too.

We were poor in the first half, this can't be disputed and until N'Diaye came on we weren't getting anything going at all.
We had picked up in those few mins before the pen and all of a sudden 1st half end came a bit too soon but we were level and not deserving to be.

2nd half starts and for that first 10 mins we were well on top, missing a few chances and somehow that open goal from McGoldrick. Bogle would have got that too for a tap in.

MGW is then sent off for his 2nd yellow. At the time I thought that's a pen and it's a ludicrous decision. Looking back whilst there may be contact he's trying to win a pen and we would be saying an opposition attacker is a cheat for doing this.
Did MGW over-reaction for his 1st yellow cloud the ref's judgement too? Ref might have just waved play on perhaps if had hadn't mouthed off as such?

For the remainder of the 2nd half, I thought that we did fairly well considered.
Created a few good chances and could feel a shade unlucky N'Diaye's effort or Sharps prod didn't quite find the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Our team after the MGW were then over-reacting to any referee decision just about, which is perhaps understandable. But what this meant was the the ref I felt completely lost his head.
From about 75min mark anything could happen, and decisions started to become random. Corners which were debatable for us were given, N'Diaye pushed over was obviously a foul.
Waving play on when fleck was pulled back is all good but Saville should have been shown a 2nd yellow to even things up.

The players put the effort in too, but by 90mins were on their knees for being a man down.
Their 2nd goal might have been closed down better had the team not been as tired. I felt it was a harsh end and that a draw would have been a positive and probably justified result overall.
It is not an overreaction to say that we were poor and showing little sign of improving. If it were based on that one match, then fine, but based on 13 it seems reasonable to be critical and suggest that we are nowhere near promotion standard.
To suggest we might be relegated is probably an overreaction.

It’s not overreacting to say that was complete shite from start to finish. Made Millwall looked good when they are average to poor at best. A decent team would have smashed both of us (put together) last night

Now you're all overreacting to the overreaction post.

Seriously though we were poor last night and the starting side and shape didn't work at all.

The midfield was literally non existent and the number of times Millwall just ran through us was criminal.

Having said that we still could (and probably should) have won the game.

Everything that could go wrong, literally did go wrong.

Slav has only had 13 games to try and make the players fit a decent system, give him the time and he will take us up.

Time to get Gedoura back in as a holding midfielder methinks.

Taking the game in isolation you are right. Their two goals don't happen in most games and it should have been 10 v 10 in the final 20 against a team who were negative enough even with an man extra. We did ok with 10 men and didn't deserve to lose.

The problem is we are 13 games in and have won 4. Last night could have been put down to a freak game if we hadn't shown similar weaknesses in the previous 12 games. We still make the same basic errors and we were extremely lucky to be level at half time. I've seen nothing to suggest we are anything more than mid table and despite the bizarre nature of last night's game it didn't change my mind on where we are.

Now you're all overreacting to the overreaction post.

Seriously though we were poor last night and the starting side and shape didn't work at all.

The midfield was literally non existent and the number of times Millwall just ran through us was criminal.

Having said that we still could (and probably should) have won the game.

Everything that could go wrong, literally did go wrong.

Slav has only had 13 games to try and make the players fit a decent system, give him the time and he will take us up.

Time to get Gedoura back in as a holding midfielder methinks.

I can see why he started Conor but not sure why he started Didsy. I guess Didsy was hard to drop after the cameo on Saturday.

Sensible post. Novel idea

Good summary for me, found myself nodding along with it.

Fuck off with your rational and reasoned post.

No slagging of Slav, Norwood, Fleck etc.

Boo. 0/10.

If you want a great example of over-reaction:
It’s not overreacting to say that was complete shite from start to finish. Made Millwall looked good when they are average to poor at best. A decent team would have smashed both of us (put together) last night

This post had me running round the house punching the air in delight and shouting ‘hallelujah’ out of the bedroom window!

There’s often over-reaction to any loss but, as other posters have already pointed out, the reactions become cumulative over time . I am thoroughly pissed off with team, not just about the result against Millwall but about the fact that for almost 2 years we appear unable to learn from our mistakes or move on from our intrinsic belief that doing the same thing over and over again will produce a different result. It won’t. We have Brewster, Mousset, McBurnie et al constantly warming the bench and the Old Guard trotting out to do what the Old Guard do best - rinse, repeat, lose, rinse, repeat….

Surely, there is enough raw material to bring on these players (who I don’t believe were born crap footballers) and use this season as a test bed for future development rather than a waxwork museum of past talent. The midfield is absolutely dire - can’t hold the ball, can’t protect the defence, can’t offer any striking threat and, ffs, constantly can’t even lift the ball over the first man at a corner.

We won’t be promoted, I’m ok with that, we won’t make play offs and I can come to terms with that but I do want to see something on the pitch that gives me hope that this season is the beginning of a renaissance not the beginning of another era of false dawns and underperformance

So forgive my overreaction but this lot would test the patience of a saint at the moment

As our old friend Ollessendro would have said "guilty of score line journalism" for the last two games.

Over reaction to a ten minute good spell v Stoke and maybe the same in reverse last night.

Stoke. Slow and predictable first 35 minutes. No threat. 0-0 all over it.
Millwall. Dire first 35 minutes (worst football since Hammond was the midfield king pin). Lucky only 0-1.

Stoke. Good for 10 minutes prior to half time. Unlucky to go in 0-0.
Millwall. Better spell for 5 minutes before half time. Lucky to go in 1-1 though.

Stoke. Little threat again early second. Concede and, generally very poor for next 20.
Millwall. Better start of second, well in control and should take lead. Game changing refereeing with a red card for us and none red card for them.

Stoke. Subs change game and ten minutes of game changing play. Overall think a draw would have been fair.
Millwall. Still tried to win it with 10, might have been better taking the option of taking the 1-1 instead as tired and their attacking subs (wouldn't have done so at 11 v 11 or 10 v 10) ran us ragged last 10. Overall think a draw would have been fair.

Poor team selection and bad use of subs (due to the poor team selection and an injury) made it look a lot worse than the previous Saturday.

We need a Goalkeeper. Olsen put us on notice when he wrestled the ,offside, cross into goal. Made some decent stops after.
Bogle left too much room down his side of the pitch. He isn't a defender. Saying that, their left sided player didn't use it at all. Soon as a red and white shirt got within 10 yards he got rid.
Egan/Davies were not too bad.
Hourihane. Said on 8 minutes we'd get more from Norwood.
Ozzy. For all his efforts and energy just can't get past a defender.
Oh FFS Didsy.
Referee was a disgrace.
Didn't enjoy losing in such fashion.

This post had me running round the house punching the air in delight and shouting ‘hallelujah’ out of the bedroom window!

There’s often over-reaction to any loss but, as other posters have already pointed out, the reactions become cumulative over time . I am thoroughly pissed off with team, not just about the result against Millwall but about the fact that for almost 2 years we appear unable to learn from our mistakes or move on from our intrinsic belief that doing the same thing over and over again will produce a different result. It won’t. We have Brewster, Mousset, McBurnie et al constantly warming the bench and the Old Guard trotting out to do what the Old Guard do best - rinse, repeat, lose, rinse, repeat….

Surely, there is enough raw material to bring on these players (who I don’t believe were born crap footballers) and use this season as a test bed for future development rather than a waxwork museum of past talent. The midfield is absolutely dire - can’t hold the ball, can’t protect the defence, can’t offer any striking threat and, ffs, constantly can’t even lift the ball over the first man at a corner.

We won’t be promoted, I’m ok with that, we won’t make play offs and I can come to terms with that but I do want to see something on the pitch that gives me hope that this season is the beginning of a renaissance not the beginning of another era of false dawns and underperformance

So forgive my overreaction but this lot would test the patience of a saint at the moment
Haha!

Oh I'm frustrated at the progress don't get me wrong. Although we see patches of good play and some nice intricate football. For instance both our goals on Saturday were good well worked goals.
I'm also frustrated we just can't seem to keep clean sheets too! And as for 1st half yesterday, yes it was dire. But that does happen in football even to the best sides.

But and I'm not sticking my neck out here, but I think if we can get that consistency and that bit of luck we've not had in last few there isn't any reason we can't make top 6.
But for 2 ref performances vs Bournemouth and last night and even then we had chances. (Mousset hitting the post last min v. Bournemouth and last nights chances even when down to 10) We could easily be 4pts better off, which leaves us 2 pts outside of 6th.

It's the incredible frustration that we had to work so hard last night to chuck that game away. We started poorly but the manager made the right change and suddenly the game was there for the taking, even at a goal down. But as usual, we gift one goal, keep giving possession away cheaply in the worst possible areas, miss two beautifully worked chances one of which could go on a compilation of worst ever misses (sorry McGoldrick, I love you but you keep doing this to me), go a man down to what looks like an outrageous dive by a player on a yellow, and STILL somehow look like Millwall are there to be beaten. And yet we walk away with nothing.

It still feels like banging my head against a wall to understand why we keep hitting the self-destruct button. I don't want to overestimate us and we don't have any right to beat any Championship team but we had to make daft mistake after daft mistake to avoid winning last night.

It's another game where if I look at it in isolation I have to say "Tough luck, shit happens, we'll win that more than we lose" but in the perspective of the last season or so I'm lost. We've become the masters of shooting yourself in the foot.

We are improving after the bad start to the season. As the OP points out, the first half last night was very poor because of the changes made but this was rectified and we were the better side after Ndiaye came on and until the sending off, we were creating chances and looking threatening. Even with 10 men we can consider ourselves unlucky to lose, and the attitude of the team was impressive as we still looked to get the game moving quickly and attack when a lot of other teams would have tried to see out the game for a point.

Since the Peterborough game which is really the point at which our season got going with the new signings we badly needed we've picked up 13 points from a possible 24, just shy of an average of 2 points per game. In that run of 8 games, the only game where we've been well beaten is against Boro, the other losses were narrow and we can consider ourselves unlucky not to have picked up at least a point in them.

Perspective and patience is needed, things are improving and we aren't far away from being a top 6 side. Whether that will be this season remains to be seen, but overall I think Jokanovic is doing a decent job with the imbalanced squad he inherited.

Without the red card we win that game comfortably. Should’ve still won it with 10 men. First half we was terrible, second half we came out and looked much better until the red card

Regards Gibbs-White - this is probably the 4th or 5th time I can recall him diving. Doing that on a yellow is idiotic, and it’s a shitty thing to do at the best of times. Really hope he stamps it out of his game. We’d have mullered them second half if it wasn’t for that moment.

Overreactions are not a bad thing.
It shows people care and are worried

Apathy, that's a different kettle of fish.
When apathy sets in, which it usually does at this club, that's the time to really worry

It is not an overreaction to say that we were poor and showing little sign of improving. If it were based on that one match, then fine, but based on 13 it seems reasonable to be critical and suggest that we are nowhere near promotion standard.
I think the problem we have is there are plenty of games now where we have taken fewer points than what we would have expected, given our resources.

There are none that I can think of where we have achieved higher than expected.

A result v Bournemouth would have been one but we were robbed by the officials.

Yeah but last night was a fluke of a game and hardly should be deemed the straw that broke the camel's back

Given the shite of the last season and a half and the abject humiliation of last season in particular, it is odd to find people questioning a proven manager trying to sort it out. Bizarre. Modern day football is a bit rubbish.

Agree to an extent about over reaction but I think a lot of it was down the decisions of the referee, possibly the second yellow card was justified but only if the ref was consistent with his decisions, and he wasn’t. Just on the first yellow card, we were on the John Street and the tackle looked a perfect tackle without follow through, MGW reacted to this but rightly so from what we saw. Out of interest did anyone see this differently and think it was a yellow card challenge, I thought we had a pretty good view and it looked fine to us and not even a foul.

Taking the game in isolation you are right. Their two goals don't happen in most games and it should have been 10 v 10 in the final 20 against a team who were negative enough even with an man extra. We did ok with 10 men and didn't deserve to lose.

The problem is we are 13 games in and have won 4. Last night could have been put down to a freak game if we hadn't shown similar weaknesses in the previous 12 games. We still make the same basic errors and we were extremely lucky to be level at half time. I've seen nothing to suggest we are anything more than mid table and despite the bizarre nature of last night's game it didn't change my mind on where we are.

And the second paragraph is the problem. We were 10 minutes away from losing to Stoke. The only other games we've won were against the worst teams in the league. This is not a one off. We were unlucky in a way. We might of won if MGW hadn't been a penis but then again we could have easily lost at the weekend. We're soft. Far too weak.

I suspect we'll be starting next season in this league but in a much worse position than this season (minus Sharp, McGoldrick, Mousset, Osborn, Basham)

Steve Cowens (the Blades fan who held the recent-ish book launch, that Chris Wilder, Dave Bassett and loads of other ex-players attended), said on Twitter that the ref is a pig fan who relocated to Bermondsey, in London. Terrible if true.

Trouble with this team/Manager they build us up with a promising performance , then fuck it up the next game , we have no consistency , in fact the only consistency we have is the fact we are inconsistent , if that makes sense !

As for over reacting were 15th and that's not good enough and we have some shite players on our books they need moving on and fuck the loss of money just get them out !

Back
Top Bottom